DAT Done!! Please read.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calguitar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
*updated* - I'm selling some of my study materials on sales section

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=618138

Hey guys, I finally took my DAT today. But before I go into that I just want to thank everyone on this forum. Though I have not posted on this forum much before, I have received much help from this forum with not only DAT but with why to choose dentistry, school selection, application, and personal statement as well. Thank you.

After spending a lot of time in an office and a clinic, I've decided this year to pursue dentistry, and I'm excited to let you all know that I'm in this year's application cycle. Ok, so I guess enough about me and dentistry.

I just wanted to give something back to this forum by sharing my experience with preparing for DAT. Feel free to ask me any questions you might have. I can't guarantee that I'll have the best answer, but I'll try my best to help you guys out as much as I can.

So, to prepare for DAT, I used Kaplan book (The one that comes from the course). I think the book is very similar to the blue book. I didn't take the course, but my friend who took it gave me his copy. I also had a copy of kaplan's short practice sections on different subject. I first went through the Kaplan book while taking a little bit of notes.

Taking NOTES:
For Biology, I eventually made a word document of bio notes and kept on adding things on it as I went through different materials. It helped me to review the ones I missed/had trouble remembering near the test date. It ended up being around 14 pages font size 10.

For OChem and GChem, I had few pages of notes of different concepts, laws, equation...etc. I also had a log of all the questions I've missed. For OChem, I wrote down all the reactions, which ended up being few pages.

Math: I just had a half a sheet of few unit conversion factors and trig equations.

After having gone through the Kaplan book and their exercises, I went through DAT Destroyer. My thought on Destroyer is that, although it's harder than the actual DAT, it helped me to identify and review topics I was weak at. ALWAYS, go through the answer key even if you got it right and think you know it well (there could always be things you didn't know). Again, I added different things onto my notes as I went through Destroyer. I also timed my self while taking 40 bioQ's, 30 gchemQ's, and 30 ochemQ's.

Then I bought Achiever and took it three days straight leading up to test date. I think you should space them out if you can, and have more time to review them. (I decided to buy these last minute, so I had no choice but to do that). Achiever is definitely harder than the real test. Again, I added more onto my notes.

Ok so the real DAT

BIO - definitely easier than Achiever. Not as much detail oriented questions. Nothing really unexpected.

GChem - again easier than Achiever, but not by alot. Not as much calculation. Pretty straight forward.

OChem - easier than Achiever, few IR and NMR.

PAT - LOT easier than Achiever, EXCEPT angle comparison. Angle section was always my easiest section, but on the real DAT it was actually one of the harder ones. Key hole and 3 sides questions on Achiever are A LOT harder than the real DAT.

RC - man...this was the section I worried about the most. I used search and destroy after quickly skimming through the passage in 2-3 minutes. Took notes of key words. Manage to finish on time. Comparable to Achiever I thought.

Math - A little easier than Achiever. No hard probability or Trig stuff. No unit conversion btw km/mile, L/gallon, etc.

Ok so here are my scores from Achiever

Test 1 AA-22, TS-23, BI-20, GC- 28, OC-25, PAT-22, RC-21, QR-24
Test 1 AA-20, TS-19, BI-18, GC- 20, OC-17, PAT-25, RC-20, QR-25
Test 1 AA-22, TS-20, BI-20, GC- 19, OC-23, PAT-23, RC-21, QR-26

And the real DAT!!!

AA-27(100.0)
TS-28(99.9)
BI-27(99.7)
GC-30(100.0)
OC-26(98.1)
PAT-25(99.7)
RC-20(72.4) - I'm actually the most happy about this section. English is my secondary language =)
QR-30(100.0)

So yeah I hope this post was somewhat helpful to you guys, especially the ones that are preparing for DAT. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me. Also, if you want more details of how I studied, ask me. I'll be glad to help anyone out. OK, I think I'll be keeping up with the forum through the whole application cycle. Again, thank you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Calguitar,
You're truly an inspiration.
I just took the DAT and got my *ss handed to me.
I WAY overstudied everything Bio and didn't focus enough on the fundamentals in the other sections (much to my detriment).

One of the things I found interesting though was that there were some curve-ball Bio questions that I didn't expect (mostly centered around embryology).
Well, I recently came to find out that the DAT has a "Scope of Test" download that will tell you everything that is fair game for the test....which I didn't know about, and so have just been studying anything and everything (not bueno).
The reason I bring this up is that upon reading the "Scope of Test" from the ADA, I noticed that there are 3 categories which I never knew were fair game for the Bio part of the test and (unless I'm misunderstanding the phraseology or verbiage), Kaplan didn't cover either (so I'm feeling a little miffed about that, but anyway)....

The 3 new sections in question are:
  1. Experimental Cell Biology
  2. Experimental Embryology
  3. Genetic Technology

Did you study any specific books for these three sub-sections of biology?
I know you can get books on "Cell Biology", "Embryology" and "Genetics", but when you tack on the other things in the category title ("Experimental" and "Technology", respectively), there are very few review books or overview books. Most of the resources I'm finding with titles such as the ones in the list above are lab workbooks, or research papers regarding one very specific experiment.

So, any feedback on what you read to cover those topics and not be caught off-guard on some of those "non-traditional" biology questions, would be greatly appreciated.

Once again, fantastic scores!
You have put a needed salve on my wounded ego and have inspired me to study myself into PhD-dom before my next test.

Hey, I never specifically looked those topics up. If I did study them, then it must've been from the books, practice tests, or just thing's I've studied in college. I wouldn't really go out of your way to study these specifically from another book. To me it sounds like these questions are more comprehensive questions that tests your understanding of the topics. Sorry if this doesn't really help. Let me know if you have any more questions.

hey calguitar, Congratulations on the scores you got. I am also planning on taking dat and I thought that i would also buy destroyer, achiever to study. Actually where did you buy the destroyer and achiever from? I tried looking for it but i dont know whether it is a book or online material. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Wow those scores are epic. I am most impressed with the 30 in quant thats insane.

Congrads man I am glad you decided to stick to the west coast :hardy: So I don't have to compete against you.

Congrads again

Members don't see this ad :)
best scores i'v ever seen.....CONGRATSSSS!!!!.
its a guarantee, in....you are IN...to any dentalshcool you apply to. anytime...

now. so can you tell us bout your routine. howmany hrs a day,what kind of food do you eat, do you drink coffee to stay awake.......i am dyin to know.!!...

Hey guys, I finally took my DAT today. But before I go into that I just want to thank everyone on this forum. Though I have not posted on this forum much before, I have received much help from this forum with not only DAT but with why to choose dentistry, school selection, application, and personal statement as well. Thank you.

After spending a lot of time in an office and a clinic, I've decided this year to pursue dentistry, and I'm excited to let you all know that I'm in this year's application cycle. Ok, so I guess enough about me and dentistry.

I just wanted to give something back to this forum by sharing my experience with preparing for DAT. Feel free to ask me any questions you might have. I can't guarantee that I'll have the best answer, but I'll try my best to help you guys out as much as I can.

So, to prepare for DAT, I used Kaplan book (The one that comes from the course). I think the book is very similar to the blue book. I didn't take the course, but my friend who took it gave me his copy. I also had a copy of kaplan's short practice sections on different subject. I first went through the Kaplan book while taking a little bit of notes.

Taking NOTES:
For Biology, I eventually made a word document of bio notes and kept on adding things on it as I went through different materials. It helped me to review the ones I missed/had trouble remembering near the test date. It ended up being around 14 pages font size 10.

For OChem and GChem, I had few pages of notes of different concepts, laws, equation...etc. I also had a log of all the questions I've missed. For OChem, I wrote down all the reactions, which ended up being few pages.

Math: I just had a half a sheet of few unit conversion factors and trig equations.

After having gone through the Kaplan book and their exercises, I went through DAT Destroyer. My thought on Destroyer is that, although it's harder than the actual DAT, it helped me to identify and review topics I was weak at. ALWAYS, go through the answer key even if you got it right and think you know it well (there could always be things you didn't know). Again, I added different things onto my notes as I went through Destroyer. I also timed my self while taking 40 bioQ's, 30 gchemQ's, and 30 ochemQ's.

Then I bought Achiever and took it three days straight leading up to test date. I think you should space them out if you can, and have more time to review them. (I decided to buy these last minute, so I had no choice but to do that). Achiever is definitely harder than the real test. Again, I added more onto my notes.

Ok so the real DAT

BIO - definitely easier than Achiever. Not as much detail oriented questions. Nothing really unexpected.

GChem - again easier than Achiever, but not by alot. Not as much calculation. Pretty straight forward.

OChem - easier than Achiever, few IR and NMR.

PAT - LOT easier than Achiever, EXCEPT angle comparison. Angle section was always my easiest section, but on the real DAT it was actually one of the harder ones. Key hole and 3 sides questions on Achiever are A LOT harder than the real DAT.

RC - man...this was the section I worried about the most. I used search and destroy after quickly skimming through the passage in 2-3 minutes. Took notes of key words. Manage to finish on time. Comparable to Achiever I thought.

Math - A little easier than Achiever. No hard probability or Trig stuff. No unit conversion btw km/mile, L/gallon, etc.

Ok so here are my scores from Achiever

Test 1 AA-22, TS-23, BI-20, GC- 28, OC-25, PAT-22, RC-21, QR-24
Test 1 AA-20, TS-19, BI-18, GC- 20, OC-17, PAT-25, RC-20, QR-25
Test 1 AA-22, TS-20, BI-20, GC- 19, OC-23, PAT-23, RC-21, QR-26

And the real DAT!!!

AA-27(100.0)
TS-28(99.9)
BI-27(99.7)
GC-30(100.0)
OC-26(98.1)
PAT-25(99.7)
RC-20(72.4) - I'm actually the most happy about this section. English is my secondary language =)
QR-30(100.0)

So yeah I hope this post was somewhat helpful to you guys, especially the ones that are preparing for DAT. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me. Also, if you want more details of how I studied, ask me. I'll be glad to help anyone out. OK, I think I'll be keeping up with the forum through the whole application cycle. Again, thank you guys!

I believe that you got 27 and congrats, but I don't know if today is Augest 27 or July 21

My AA on achiever was a 21 and i didnt get a 25 lol.

Tip my head to you people who actaully got ABOVE a 20 on Achiever. I was getting lik 17 even 16s on my achiever testes. ut hey!! I got a 20 on the real thing