DAT Done!! Please read.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calguitar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
*updated* - I'm selling some of my study materials on sales section

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=618138

Hey guys, I finally took my DAT today. But before I go into that I just want to thank everyone on this forum. Though I have not posted on this forum much before, I have received much help from this forum with not only DAT but with why to choose dentistry, school selection, application, and personal statement as well. Thank you.

After spending a lot of time in an office and a clinic, I've decided this year to pursue dentistry, and I'm excited to let you all know that I'm in this year's application cycle. Ok, so I guess enough about me and dentistry.

I just wanted to give something back to this forum by sharing my experience with preparing for DAT. Feel free to ask me any questions you might have. I can't guarantee that I'll have the best answer, but I'll try my best to help you guys out as much as I can.

So, to prepare for DAT, I used Kaplan book (The one that comes from the course). I think the book is very similar to the blue book. I didn't take the course, but my friend who took it gave me his copy. I also had a copy of kaplan's short practice sections on different subject. I first went through the Kaplan book while taking a little bit of notes.

Taking NOTES:
For Biology, I eventually made a word document of bio notes and kept on adding things on it as I went through different materials. It helped me to review the ones I missed/had trouble remembering near the test date. It ended up being around 14 pages font size 10.

For OChem and GChem, I had few pages of notes of different concepts, laws, equation...etc. I also had a log of all the questions I've missed. For OChem, I wrote down all the reactions, which ended up being few pages.

Math: I just had a half a sheet of few unit conversion factors and trig equations.

After having gone through the Kaplan book and their exercises, I went through DAT Destroyer. My thought on Destroyer is that, although it's harder than the actual DAT, it helped me to identify and review topics I was weak at. ALWAYS, go through the answer key even if you got it right and think you know it well (there could always be things you didn't know). Again, I added different things onto my notes as I went through Destroyer. I also timed my self while taking 40 bioQ's, 30 gchemQ's, and 30 ochemQ's.

Then I bought Achiever and took it three days straight leading up to test date. I think you should space them out if you can, and have more time to review them. (I decided to buy these last minute, so I had no choice but to do that). Achiever is definitely harder than the real test. Again, I added more onto my notes.

Ok so the real DAT

BIO - definitely easier than Achiever. Not as much detail oriented questions. Nothing really unexpected.

GChem - again easier than Achiever, but not by alot. Not as much calculation. Pretty straight forward.

OChem - easier than Achiever, few IR and NMR.

PAT - LOT easier than Achiever, EXCEPT angle comparison. Angle section was always my easiest section, but on the real DAT it was actually one of the harder ones. Key hole and 3 sides questions on Achiever are A LOT harder than the real DAT.

RC - man...this was the section I worried about the most. I used search and destroy after quickly skimming through the passage in 2-3 minutes. Took notes of key words. Manage to finish on time. Comparable to Achiever I thought.

Math - A little easier than Achiever. No hard probability or Trig stuff. No unit conversion btw km/mile, L/gallon, etc.

Ok so here are my scores from Achiever

Test 1 AA-22, TS-23, BI-20, GC- 28, OC-25, PAT-22, RC-21, QR-24
Test 1 AA-20, TS-19, BI-18, GC- 20, OC-17, PAT-25, RC-20, QR-25
Test 1 AA-22, TS-20, BI-20, GC- 19, OC-23, PAT-23, RC-21, QR-26

And the real DAT!!!

AA-27(100.0)
TS-28(99.9)
BI-27(99.7)
GC-30(100.0)
OC-26(98.1)
PAT-25(99.7)
RC-20(72.4) - I'm actually the most happy about this section. English is my secondary language =)
QR-30(100.0)

So yeah I hope this post was somewhat helpful to you guys, especially the ones that are preparing for DAT. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me. Also, if you want more details of how I studied, ask me. I'll be glad to help anyone out. OK, I think I'll be keeping up with the forum through the whole application cycle. Again, thank you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Oh wow, is this real?????? seems god like? can u show some proof? If u did really get these scores!!! AMAZING!!!

Is Kaplan and destroyer achiever all u used???

:eek: That is the 2nd highest AA I have EVER seen...very impressive. heh...English is my FIRST language and I'm barely averaging 20 in RC. I think I'll be the first to congratulate you on being admitted into dental school. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am most impressed, wow.

Great Work

You should create a Predents Account and link it up to your SDN

Amazing work!!! :thumbup:

How much time did you dedicate studying to each science section?
Congratualtions.. you're in!!
I agree with Polarmolar.. I will not be able to sleep now.. gotta hit the Schaums Biology outline!!!
Its an all nighter today folks!!!

Last edited:
And the real DAT!!!

AA-27(100.0)
TS-28(99.9)
BI-27(99.7)
GC-30(100.0)
OC-26(98.1)
PAT-25(99.7)
RC-20(72.4) - I'm actually the most happy about this section. English is my secondary language =)
QR-30(100.0)
i suspect that op is taking some variation of anabolic steroids...i'd like to ask senator mitchell to do a full investigation on him for the next report.

please feel free to send me a harvard sweatshirt next year.

fn Destroyer ...don't know what to believe these days..... these could be one of them destroyer guy promoting their stuff...i m starting to hate it cuz of their over marketing and high price .....I LOVE MY TEXTBOOKS instead

SDN scores seem so high. when i look at scores that have been accepted at schools for the past couple of years, some people get in with like 17, 18, 19...

here it seems the general thought that unless you get 20's your in trouble....

AA-27(100.0)

GC-30(100.0)

QR-30(100.0)

Is it even possible to be in the 100th percentile? I know on other standardized tests its not possible.

I hope for the OP's sake that these are real scores. It would be unfortunate to see someone lying on an internet forum to impress a bunch of anonymous people.

Congrats if this is true, but I hope this is not just someone here pretending. Im a little skeptical because how can you have a 100% 27AA score with a 20 on RC. I am a little suspicious in believing your score. But hey if your telling the truth more power to you.

Last edited:
well there are alot of doubters here, so if you dont mind could you scan your printout from the DAT and post it here so everyone can see that you did real well. I hate doubters, so prove them all wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats if this is true, but I hope this is not just someone here pretending. Im a little skeptical because how can you have a 100% 27AA score with a 20 on RC. I am a little suspicious in believing your score. But hey if your telling the truth more power to you.

Your skepticism is groundless if this is all you're basing it on.
It's as simple as this: AA = (BIO + GC + OC + RC + QR)/5. If you took the time to calculate all of this (which probably would've taken you less time than typing out your post), you'd find that his AA comes out to 26.6, which rounds up to 27. If you look at his scores and then apply simple 5th grade math principles (about averaging), you'll see that his scores from the other 4 components that are factored into calculating the AA were so high that even with a 20 on the RC section, he still managed a 27.

On a sidenote about the integrity of his scores... maybe the percentiles have changed since I took the exam back in April, but I scored 26 on the OC section, and the corresponding percentile was somewhere around a 96 (if I remember correctly)...

Your skepticism is groundless if this is all you're basing it on.
It's as simple as this: AA = (BIO + GC + OC + RC + QR)/5. If you took the time to calculate all of this (which probably would've taken you less time than typing out your post), you'd find that his AA comes out to 26.6, which rounds up to 27. If you look at his scores and then apply simple 5th grade math principles (about averaging), you'll see that his scores from the other 4 components that are factored into calculating the AA were so high that even with a 20 on the RC section, he still managed a 27.

On a sidenote about the integrity of his scores... maybe the percentiles have changed since I took the exam back in April, but I scored 26 on the OC section, and the corresponding percentile was somewhere around a 96 (if I remember correctly)...

Well I believe it depends which version of the test you have. I got frapped and a 25 on OC for me was 98%.

As far as the integrity of the scores... I dont believe anyone that says they got a higher QR than streetwolf :D (28)

He was averaging about 22 on Achiever, so I kinda believe him.

Good job! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

My AA on achiever was a 21 and i didnt get a 25 lol.

I didn't use achiever, but I have heard that it is super hard that people would score much higher on the real thing. I guess it sometimes doesn't apply to people who already get high scores. :idea:

Well I believe it depends which version of the test you have. I got frapped and a 25 on OC for me was 98%.

As far as the integrity of the scores... I dont believe anyone that says they got a higher QR than streetwolf :D (28)

Wouldn't this completely defeat the purpose of a standardized test? I could be wrong, but I thought percentiles were based on the total number of test takers (regardless of test version)...

I was also wrong... just looked at my score report and my OC score was 98th percentile. Phenomenal job, OP...

Once again, for all of you "top 5" hopefuls (like me)... that's one less spot at each of those schools!

Wouldn't this completely defeat the purpose of a standardized test? I could be wrong, but I thought percentiles were based on the total number of test takers (regardless of test version)...

I was also wrong... just looked at my score report and my OC score was 98th percentile.

well the DAT isnt the most standardized test out there to begin with(cough cough frap). my friend and i took the DAT the same day and i believe our 20's on bio had slightly different percentages... ill check when im back from work. :thumbup:

Thanks SDN, for making me feel even more inadequate with myself, ..again.

j/k man... YOU GOT AMAZING SCORES!! good luck in dental school!

Do I smell jealousy?!? I understand some people's concern regarding the validity of his/her scores, but frankly who cares? It's extremely rare but it does happen. Can't you see that someone is bound to get these types of scores? Have you not ever heard of geniuses? albert einstein anybody? Don't hate - congratulate.

Hey guys, first of all, thank you for congratulating me. As I've said before, I definitely give SDN part of the credit for how I did, so thank you guys. Right now I have to run out to do something so I can't really respond to all the posts, but I did want to assure you guys that I am in no way faking my score or that I'm trying to sell DAT destroyer and Achiever. Honestly I used Kaplan material, DAT destroyer, Achiever, ExamKracker 1001 questions for OChem (forgot to mention that), and Achiever at the end (also read very little bit from Princeton Review MCAT notes) and that was it. If you guys really want it, I'll go scan my score and post it too, just can't do it right now. and the whole percentile thing, yeah, I though it was a bit weird too that I got 100% AA given 20 on RC, but that's what it says.

As I wrote on OP, I wanted to share with you guys what I can to be a help to whoever I can be. I'll respond to the messages later when I get back. If people want it, I can also post about details of how I studied and reviewed. Lastly, just to let you all know, I worked pretty hard for this test (almost a full month of studying without working/volunteering), and just want to encourage you guys to hang in there!!!

Ok ill post later again if i can. in the mean time, any specifc questions, please write them. Thanks.

Hey guys, first of all, thank you for congratulating me. As I've said before, I definitely give SDN part of the credit for how I did, so thank you guys. Right now I have to run out to do something so I can't really respond to all the posts, but I did want to assure you guys that I am in no way faking my score or that I'm trying to sell DAT destroyer and Achiever. Honestly I used Kaplan material, DAT destroyer, Achiever, ExamKracker 1001 questions for OChem (forgot to mention that), and Achiever at the end (also read very little bit from Princeton Review MCAT notes) and that was it. If you guys really want it, I'll go scan my score and post it too, just can't do it right now. and the whole percentile thing, yeah, I though it was a bit weird too that I got 100% AA given 20 on RC, but that's what it says.

As I wrote on OP, I wanted to share with you guys what I can to be a help to whoever I can be. I'll respond to the messages later when I get back. If people want it, I can also post about details of how I studied and reviewed. Lastly, just to let you all know, I worked pretty hard for this test (almost a full month of studying without working/volunteering), and just want to encourage you guys to hang in there!!!

Ok ill post later again if i can. in the mean time, any specifc questions, please write them. Thanks.

With scores like that, of course we want to know how you studied, slept, ate and even how you took ****s. :D

Well OK, maybe not the last three...at least definitely not the last one

a LOT of people sippin on HATERADE in this thread...stop hating guys it's not good for your health.

I need to do a background check on you :laugh:. ....ummm Is your brain for rent? How long you study? How did you master BIO?GC?OC?
Amazing scores n congratz.

wow congrats! if i pm you my e mail adress could you please send me your word document you used to study?

Could you scan your offical report like all other god-like supernatural being did? Thx!

Could you break down your study routine? Like what you studied on what day/week and all that?

OOOOOOOOOOWEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

You KILLED it.

!!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Be prepared... your PM box is about to explode.

Like MDDANG, i think you should white out your name and important info on your DAT score sheet and scan it onto here for us to see. Only then will I bow down and kiss your feet.

WOW! Another high scorer. Wish I had those scores. Can you write your study methods in detail? What did you do the week before the exam? I have my exam coming up in a week.

WTF??
this website is f***** with my head.....
whatever people...
im aight with a 20... shieeeeeeetttttttttttt

Damn, my DAT score is owned by this bada$$ score.

Congrats! and good luck in dental school.

Hey guys, here's the scan of my score as promised. Hopefully this will clear the doubts?! anyways, sorry for not getting back to you guys yet. I've been pretty busy catching up on different things I've been missing out on. I'm a little too tired now but I'll take some time out sometime this week to respond to diff questions and request.

On the other hand, I wanted to ask you guys for your opinion on something. I submitted total of 14 primary applications (I didn't know what I was going to get on DAT) and now will be doing secondaries. But I was wondering given that I got the scores I got and that I know I want to stay in California, if I should not send in some of the secondaries to save money. Let me know what you think. My GPA is around 3.74 overall and 3.81 science. EC are 90hr volunteer (private office and clinic), honors, research, dental lab, camp financial coordinator, etc. Thanks guys.

My top choice as of now is UoP.

Attachments

• DAT Score Report 7-21.jpg
    DAT Score Report 7-21.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,339
Good Grief, I never even saw something like that. Its ******ed. Job Well done.

Hey guys, here's the scan of my score as promised. Hopefully this will clear the doubts?! anyways, sorry for not getting back to you guys yet. I've been pretty busy catching up on different things I've been missing out on. I'm a little too tired now but I'll take some time out sometime this week to respond to diff questions and request.

On the other hand, I wanted to ask you guys for your opinion on something. I submitted total of 14 primary applications (I didn't know what I was going to get on DAT) and now will be doing secondaries. But I was wondering given that I got the scores I got and that I know I want to stay in California, if I should not send in some of the secondaries to save money. Let me know what you think. My GPA is around 3.74 overall and 3.81 science. EC are 90hr volunteer (private office and clinic), honors, research, dental lab, camp financial coordinator, etc. Thanks guys.

My top choice as of now is UoP.

I think you should just apply to UoP and a few more (2~3). I will be very surprised if you don't get into UoP with that DAT score.

This is ridiculous! A big hearty congratulations!!! and thanks for the motivation!

First of all I owe you a BIG APOLOGY, Im sorry I questioned your score, I guess I was reading too many forum where people say people on here lie and inflate their scores. But yea No excuse, I was an idiot for that and I was definitely hating (as whoispittsnogle would put it). I apologize again and wanna stay Congratulation for the Highest score I have ever seen on Qaunt. and AA. You are a Beast, a true Prodigy. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!