DAT Done. Breakdown coming soon.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc3232

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to right everything in pieces because I am lazy. Will try to help 100% as I have been helped.

I just got back. (long drive, 2 hours)

Scores:
BIO/GC/OC/RC/QR/PAT/AA
24/25/29/20/22/23/24

Everything went terribly till I got my scores.
During sciences I was like :scared: then in PAT I was like :smuggrin: then in RC I was like :cool: then in QR I was like :p then I finished and I was like:boom:

Those expressions (the smilies) actually mean something (not random), I haven't explained each one yet, but it is important for those will will take their test.

GONNA PLAY SOME BBALL.

EDIT:

Ok
so here is some breakdown info:

Bio: Very general questions...can't recall anything specific. Some are hard, but still VERY general.

GC: Quite a bit of calculations...I was soo nervous that I couldn't even do basic divisions. I kept questioning myself.

OC: I think I got an error on the first one and it freaked me out for about 2 mins. It did make me comfortable knowing the error would let me retake. This is when I calmed down A LOT. For the rest of the test after this error I was chill.

PAT: CDP made me more comfortable than you could believe. I took my time on the questions.

I used 11 of the 15 mins break.

RC: Passages are similar to Topscore/Achiever/Kaplan. I was expecting this score, but very happy. You need to skip questions when you can't do them. Too bad I can't take my own advice. I get hooked and tell myself I will find it soon.

QR: Finished with 3 seconds to spare...Probably needed to review about 3 questions that needed more work.

THERE IS A SURVEY AT THE END (15 Qs). your scores come up after this.
A small window will say processing vefore and after the survey. I checked random answers for this survey.
Also, don't sign up till you are completely ready. I think I went into the test about 1 hour early which was nice. I had the option to go in about 2 hours early. I reviewed some bio notes in the other room. I think the reviewing in the car, half-helped with a bio question. I think I would have gotten it anyway though.

I think I concentrated a reasonable amount during RC which is important. By the time QR came up I was tired. Had trouble dividing, was getting brain-dead.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
for bio do we need to know all the crazy in between products of cellular respiration/photosyn? or just the main ideas?

Like I said, there were NO detail questions. Maybe a few, but who cares. To get those extra 2 questions you would need to study an extra 2 weeks. AND you have a good shot at those questions with some good reasoning.
Don't get me wrong, bio needed A LOT of work for me at least.

So this brings up materials used:

Ochem: Textbook (very useful since it passed through my head once), EK,TPR, Kaplan.
Gchem: TPR, EK, Kaplan.
Bio: AP Bio Cliffs, AP Bio barrons, Schaums, Kaplan, some TPR, some EK.
Also, destroyer for everything helped with some things.

If I remember any more, will post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doc, u lied to me...u said u r good at ochem but not at bio, but u aced both ochem and bio.

hey doc your a great help, now look at my problem, doing crack the pat i seem to improve in most sections except folding I keep getting 6 and 7. I dont know wa to do, i look at samas tutorial and still dont get it. Maybe I cant fold in my head. please help help dat soon.

hey doc your a great help, now look at my problem, doing crack the pat i seem to improve in most sections except folding I keep getting 6 and 7. I dont know wa to do, i look at samas tutorial and still dont get it. Maybe I cant fold in my head. please help help dat soon.

Hmm...for pattern folding, I had trouble till the 7th test or so. Then it sort of clicked and I learned to fold it a bit in my head. Just look over some solutions and try to understand a few. Folding on the real one is similar to CDP, maybe a bit easier.

hey doc congrats on the great score.. your definitely going to get into the school you want with those scores...

question whats EK?

also when are you going to have a full breakdown of your science of how you study and what you went about doing, like how many hours you study a day and for how long?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey doc, i asked the Idaho doc the same thing and i wanted to get ur opinion as well. Is it true wat they say that now a days in the math portion of the DAT they dont ask you those area/parameter type questions. That its all permutation and word problems. Can you confirm that, or am i Out of line? :confused: The type of Q im talkin about is the ones in topscore where they have a square in a circle and wanted the area of the shaded region type.

Hey doc, i asked the Idaho doc the same thing and i wanted to get ur opinion as well. Is it true wat they say that now a days in the math portion of the DAT they dont ask you those area/parameter type questions. That its all permutation and word problems. Can you confirm that, or am i Out of line? :confused: The type of Q im talkin about is the ones in topscore where they have a square in a circle and wanted the area of the shaded region type.

Nah, very out of line. Like I said earlier, test was a lot like topscore, achiever, some of kaplan, and Destroyer.

I don't consider ANY of the questions word problems. Everything was a "word" problem except the 10 or so quick questions that take about 10-20 seconds to solve. The word problems should take about 1 min or a bit more. Near the end of the test I was burnt out so I started having trouble with basic division.

I am going to right everything in pieces because I am lazy. Will try to help 100% as I have been helped.

I just got back. (long drive, 2 hours)

Scores:
BIO/GC/OC/RC/QR/PAT/AA
24/25/29/20/22/23/24

Everything went terribly till I got my scores.
During sciences I was like :scared: then in PAT I was like :smuggrin: then in RC I was like :cool: then in QR I was like :p then I finished and I was like:boom:

Those expressions (the smilies) actually mean something (not random), I haven't explained each one yet, but it is important for those will will take their test.

GONNA PLAY SOME BBALL.

I love the "explosion" at the end of your statement. I was very excited when I got my scores, but if I woulda got a 24AA I think that's exactly how I woulda felt.

hey Again, thanks for all your help.

I have a question for you please help. I am thinking just buying acheiver for Gen chem, do you think its similar to the exam, im struggling with gen chem alot and which do you think is better for it(achiv, tops, destroyer) take care!

hey Again, thanks for all your help.

I have a question for you please help. I am thinking just buying acheiver for Gen chem, do you think its similar to the exam, im struggling with gen chem alot and which do you think is better for it(achiv, tops, destroyer) take care!

Destroyer is overkill. Most of the questions on the real DAT are very basic and Destroyer almost has only hard ones. It was nice knowing I could do all the hard Qs in Destroyer but I can't say it helped...
Achiever and Topscore are sort of close to the real one.
Kaplan is also.

Are you planning to the retake the test? Any advices you can give on how to be prepare for the actual test?

haha

im pretty suree he wont retake

You never know. He may be shooting for a 28.

Heck, I don't even think you could get a 30. On some of the sections you miss no questions and get a 28, lol.

Hmmm...I like mine, but it might not work for everyone.

I number 1 through 15 during the break (I used both sheets).
I write the first main word from each topic sentence. On practice tests it was more useful. Similar to Achiever I would have to say.
In about 5 questions in each one it came useful and I went straight to the correct paragraph where the answer was.

ok maybe I forgot, so I remeber them giving me 3 sheets. So what happen if I number each one back and front side 1-15 will they erase when I flip the sheet over.

Im thinking instead of earsing just use 1 sheet per passage using both sides of the sheet, im scared if they erase.

ok maybe I forgot, so I remeber them giving me 3 sheets. So what happen if I number each one back and front side 1-15 will they erase when I flip the sheet over.

Im thinking instead of earsing just use 1 sheet per passage using both sides of the sheet, im scared if they erase.

I only number for the first passage, not all 3 passages. then I erase what I wrote but keep the numbers.

I only number for the first passage, not all 3 passages. then I erase what I wrote but keep the numbers.

im sorry to ask, i forgot to ask this, so when you first do the first passage and you mark a q or 2, when you finish the first passage does it give you the option to review that first passage the ones marked, or you have too wait until you finish all 3 to review all mark, the problem is that if I earse the first two passages, after the third passage if I go back to review one and two I dont have the words written, this might be stupid, but help please,

im sorry to ask, i forgot to ask this, so when you first do the first passage and you mark a q or 2, when you finish the first passage does it give you the option to review that first passage the ones marked, or you have too wait until you finish all 3 to review all mark, the problem is that if I earse the first two passages, after the third passage if I go back to review one and two I dont have the words written, this might be stupid, but help please,

Very good question...you only get the review option after finishing all 3, not after each one.
hence, IMO, don't bother reviewing the first and the second. Only review the 3rd passage. Only mark in the 3rd passage unless you always finish early and have time to get back into the older passages and not be confused.