DAT Done. Breakdown coming soon.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc3232

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to right everything in pieces because I am lazy. Will try to help 100% as I have been helped.

I just got back. (long drive, 2 hours)

Scores:
BIO/GC/OC/RC/QR/PAT/AA
24/25/29/20/22/23/24

Everything went terribly till I got my scores.
During sciences I was like :scared: then in PAT I was like :smuggrin: then in RC I was like :cool: then in QR I was like :p then I finished and I was like:boom:

Those expressions (the smilies) actually mean something (not random), I haven't explained each one yet, but it is important for those will will take their test.

GONNA PLAY SOME BBALL.

EDIT:

Ok
so here is some breakdown info:

Bio: Very general questions...can't recall anything specific. Some are hard, but still VERY general.

GC: Quite a bit of calculations...I was soo nervous that I couldn't even do basic divisions. I kept questioning myself.

OC: I think I got an error on the first one and it freaked me out for about 2 mins. It did make me comfortable knowing the error would let me retake. This is when I calmed down A LOT. For the rest of the test after this error I was chill.

PAT: CDP made me more comfortable than you could believe. I took my time on the questions.

I used 11 of the 15 mins break.

RC: Passages are similar to Topscore/Achiever/Kaplan. I was expecting this score, but very happy. You need to skip questions when you can't do them. Too bad I can't take my own advice. I get hooked and tell myself I will find it soon.

QR: Finished with 3 seconds to spare...Probably needed to review about 3 questions that needed more work.

THERE IS A SURVEY AT THE END (15 Qs). your scores come up after this.
A small window will say processing vefore and after the survey. I checked random answers for this survey.
Also, don't sign up till you are completely ready. I think I went into the test about 1 hour early which was nice. I had the option to go in about 2 hours early. I reviewed some bio notes in the other room. I think the reviewing in the car, half-helped with a bio question. I think I would have gotten it anyway though.

I think I concentrated a reasonable amount during RC which is important. By the time QR came up I was tired. Had trouble dividing, was getting brain-dead.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
niceeeeee, good for you! congratulations. enjoy the relaxation time.

Members don't see this ad :)
BaraBIM, BaraBOOM! That's how its done. Enjoy it, cuz you deserve it.

Recockulous scores, congratulations. How would you compare Topscore sciences to the real thing?

was it as annoying as top score or did you feel the questions on the actual test were less ambiguous/better worded?

Ok, so first, thanks to everyone for support. When you take the test, you really do need as much as you can get.

Test was depressing. Only thing that kept me going after sciences was that I found a mistake on the orgo section and I knew I could retake if I wanted to.

SKIP THE BIO SECTION. Go to orgo and gchem. Do those first. The bio questions are WEIRD (note, I didn't say random to be different).
You will experience WTF questions, but go along with them and you might get them right.

Topscore sciences: I really forgot everything on the test. But i do feel like topscore was similar.
THERE ARE NO TOUGH TAXONOMY QUESTIONS. You don't need to know what volvox is, etc. I really did forget all the questions.
I think klutzy once said, go over the first 10 or so bio questions for sure because you might be nervous and screw em up.
Gchem and Ochem must have been basic.

TS was 25.

Also, please no PMs. Mailbox is 96% and I don't like deleting ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
was it as annoying as top score or did you feel the questions on the actual test were less ambiguous/better worded?

No ambiguous questions. But like I said, some bio questions are VERY weird. But try to apply you knowledge and look for the answer you think they are trying to get at.
I was so nervous in the beginning, it was ALL a blur.

Questions resemble Topscore and Achiever without the hard ones.

GREAT ADVICE... i second that. you can whip out bio answers quicker than GC so spend ur time on GC and nail em.

I think Panther was the one who first suggested. I should have done that. Would have made me so much happier. Believe the Panther!

WOW ... amazing scores ... I think you can pick your school with scores like those ... best of luck and dont be too hard on the schools when you interview them, youre going to have to reject a lot of the schools that are going to want you

haha

GOOD JOB DOC

i remember when you were panicking and saying how you were going to fail
TS 25 and AA 24?

you are crazy

but congrats im sure it feels good to be done.
now you gotta provide a detailed breakdown haha

Congrats!!!
Guy in order to skip the bio dont we have to click thru each of the 40 questions and then once we are done with orgo wouldnt we have to skip thru all the questions to get back to bio? Cuz this would take up a lot of time. Is there a way to just get to certain question numbers like # 40 and then go to ques #1????:confused:

Congrats!!!
Guy in order to skip the bio dont we have to click thru each of the 40 questions and then once we are done with orgo wouldnt we have to skip thru all the questions to get back to bio? Cuz this would take up a lot of time. Is there a way to just get to certain question numbers like # 40 and then go to ques #1????:confused:

Skip through 40, finish gchem, finish ochem then you get to the review page where you can zip to bio #1

Hey doc what did u use to study math? And what other materials did u use to study overall???

That brings up a good point.
For math, I did Topscore tests and 1 Achiever test.
Also, did some Kaplan tests.
Did about 100 Qs Destroyer (maybe 150).

I will suggest that you don't save up so much material for the last week.
I had sooo much that I didn't get to.

Also reminds about CDP: I took the 10 tests (actually did 9). This was the ONLY section I felt comfortable with. The whole time I was daydreaming, thinking about SDN.
Keyholes: Probably a bit harder (still similar), not as clear as CDP.
TFE: sort of similar.
Angles: SOOOOOO EASY! Probably 6 degree differences. No 3s, 4s, and 5s.
Cube: Similar
Pattern: Similar

Overall, exactly like CDP except angles are easy on the real one.

For QR: I finished on time, 1 tough question about trig. Didn't get to check any answers. Photo finish on last question with my heart beating 200bps. I checked my answer to make sure it was right before hitting next.
Similar to tough Topscore, Achiever, Destroyer questions. But probably half as many easy questions like x+y=etc.

Thanks!!
Haha its my last week and i have soooo much stuff to go over. And everytime i move on to something different i forget what i learned before. (hopefully this doesnt just happen to me lol)

first off...congrats doc! you ROCKED the DAT!! =)
drilling....im taking my test next week as well...maybe we can freak out together! LOL

first off...congrats doc! you ROCKED the DAT!! =)
drilling....im taking my test next week as well...maybe we can freak out together! LOL

lol definately!! I cant stop thinking bad thoughts (like im gonna get the hardest dat version possible or i just wont know any answers. I feel like i know much more difficult/calculation problems then basic and its gonna :eek: me up!!

lol definately!! I cant stop thinking bad thoughts (like im gonna get the hardest dat version possible or i just wont know any answers. I feel like i know much more difficult/calculation problems then basic and its gonna :eek: me up!!

I don't know if the test is designed such that you can be extremely nervous and still manage or that freaking out during the test helped me.
It's one or the other (or both :)).

That brings up a good point.
For math, I did Topscore tests and 1 Achiever test.
Also, did some Kaplan tests.
Did about 100 Qs Destroyer (maybe 150).

I will suggest that you don't save up so much material for the last week.
I had sooo much that I didn't get to.

Also reminds about CDP: I took the 10 tests (actually did 9). This was the ONLY section I felt comfortable with. The whole time I was daydreaming, thinking about SDN.
Keyholes: Probably a bit harder (still similar), not as clear as CDP.
TFE: sort of similar.
Angles: SOOOOOO EASY! Probably 6 degree differences. No 3s, 4s, and 5s.
Cube: Similar
Pattern: Similar

Overall, exactly like CDP except angles are easy on the real one.

For QR: I finished on time, 1 tough question about trig. Didn't get to check any answers. Photo finish on last question with my heart beating 200bps. I checked my answer to make sure it was right before hitting next.
Similar to tough Topscore, Achiever, Destroyer questions. But probably half as many easy questions like x+y=etc.

The hole punching on CDP is pretty hard (many folds with half-hole punch), is the real one like that?

The hole punching on CDP is pretty hard (many folds with half-hole punch), is the real one like that?

Forgot to say...easier. But not much easier. The easy and medium questions on CDP are what you will see on the real DAT.
Those ridiculous ones will not show up. After 10+ tests, I managed to do them all though which is good because they make the medium-difficulty ones easier.

what was your RC method?

Hmmm...I like mine, but it might not work for everyone.

I number 1 through 15 during the break (I used both sheets).
I write the first main word from each topic sentence. On practice tests it was more useful. Similar to Achiever I would have to say.
In about 5 questions in each one it came useful and I went straight to the correct paragraph where the answer was.

That's an unbelivable score! you really nailed it DOC, I didn't know u were taking DAT this soon.

very well done on the test...
u nailed it ... i think they might change the tests once again cause u did so well...
i was wondering where in what state and city u took the test and where you planning to apply

what are ur science and cummulat GPA and experiences you have done ...

again congrats
:)

Awesome scores !!!... You killed it !

Do you mind sharing what you used to study for the science section, bc you really nailed them. Thanks in advance.

Ar2

man you nailed it, your practice scores showed that!

Hey PLEASE HELP, I am retaking this test just because of RC, I know that you talked a little about your method, Can YOU PLEASE WRITE IN DETAILS HOW YOU WENT ABOUT IT STEP BY STEP. TAKE CARE

Looks like you put the horsepower to the pavement. Congrads on the legendary scores. Really consistant acrosse the board too not one weak spot.

GJ :thumbup:

Hey PLEASE HELP, I am retaking this test just because of RC, I know that you talked a little about your method, Can YOU PLEASE WRITE IN DETAILS HOW YOU WENT ABOUT IT STEP BY STEP. TAKE CARE

it was pretty self-explanatory. each paragraph on the DAT is numbered. so at the 15 min break, write on ur board 1-15 with spaces in between. then read the passage and write key words from each passage.

so lets say ur essay is on the structure of the DAT. each paragraph could be about the sections in the DAT. so if u have a question asking about the Bio section and that was the 3rd paragraph, then u know where to look for the answer. his method is a modified kaplan method.

it is best to use this method because you have a damn marker and a lot of writing = smearing. also i have bad handwriting and a marker makes it impossible to take long notes. his method cuts down on the info ur putting down.

HOWEVER!!! DAT questions are tricky!!! (DUH) they could ask you a question that has info from several passages. so make sure to note if a topic appears twice. I would say a good quarter of my questions were integrative.

I think Panther was the one who first suggested. I should have done that. Would have made me so much happier. Believe the Panther!

no that was me i think...anyways congrats and welcome to the high score club haha

First, thanks everyone. I feel I got a bit lucky with RC, I would look around and then boom I saw the word I was looking for.

very well done on the test...
u nailed it ... i think they might change the tests once again cause u did so well...
i was wondering where in what state and city u took the test and where you planning to apply

what are ur science and cummulat GPA and experiences you have done ...

again congrats
:)

gpa is around 3.5ish for both. Applying to some Cali and some other schools (really have no idea).

Awesome scores !!!... You killed it !

Do you mind sharing what you used to study for the science section, bc you really nailed them. Thanks in advance.

Ar2

How to study for OC and GC. I spent about 5% on QR. 15% on GC. 10% on OC. 2% on RC. And the rest on bio.
I studied A LOT for the classes which left me with a good background for the chems.
I will make a post saying how to study eventually. It will be very clear.
For now, I will say BE EFFICIENT. This means do not read details in bio. That is a waste of time. Don't neglect PAT, RC, and QR. Time spent in bio can be better spent in Ochem and Gchem which require less knowledge (more conceptual).

What Panther said. Some questions do require inference so the "word" you are searching for isn't there. This is where the map comes in handy.

it was pretty self-explanatory. each paragraph on the DAT is numbered. so at the 15 min break, write on ur board 1-15 with spaces in between. then read the passage and write key words from each passage.

so lets say ur essay is on the structure of the DAT. each paragraph could be about the sections in the DAT. so if u have a question asking about the Bio section and that was the 3rd paragraph, then u know where to look for the answer. his method is a modified kaplan method.

it is best to use this method because you have a damn marker and a lot of writing = smearing. also i have bad handwriting and a marker makes it impossible to take long notes. his method cuts down on the info ur putting down.

HOWEVER!!! DAT questions are tricky!!! (DUH) they could ask you a question that has info from several passages. so make sure to note if a topic appears twice. I would say a good quarter of my questions were integrative.

no that was me i think...anyways congrats and welcome to the high score club haha

Sorry, I will send royalties your way :)

He said that he used 3 sheets, does that mean for the three passages, or used the 3 sheets for each passage. I like that since my hand writting is terrible, and my last DAT I couldnt even read it. However if you use 3 sheets per passage, its taking away time from erasing for the next passage?

He said that he used 3 sheets, does that mean for the three passages, or used the 3 sheets for each passage. I like that since my hand writting is terrible, and my last DAT I couldnt even read it. However if you use 3 sheets per passage, its taking away time from erasing for the next passage?

I erased each time. 10 seconds won't hurt. I only got 2 sheets and a fancy eraser. I put them next to each other. About 1-8 on first and 9-15 on next.

Some paragraphs were 1 sentence. Some where 10+ sentences.

My hand writing is terrible, I wrote the map in about 2-3 mins. I could read most words ;)

I erased each time. 10 seconds won't hurt. I only got 2 sheets and a fancy eraser. I put them next to each other. About 1-8 on first and 9-15 on next.

Some paragraphs were 1 sentence. Some where 10+ sentences.

My hand writing is terrible, I wrote the map in about 2-3 mins. I could read most words ;)

hey thanks doc, sorry for bothering, so you how many words did you write per parag. and do you think that reading the first question and start reading while writing down, and go on to second question and continue reading and writing key words is good?

hey thanks doc, sorry for bothering, so you how many words did you write per parag. and do you think that reading the first question and start reading while writing down, and go on to second question and continue reading and writing key words is good?

It's no problem. :)
I never perfected my method so what you said might work better.
What I did was I just wrote 1-3 words for each paragraph. I read the first sentence till I was confident what the paragraph was about.

for bio do we need to know all the crazy in between products of cellular respiration/photosyn? or just the main ideas?