DAT breakdown (don) - 26 AA/28 TS/27 PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Don Kim

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I started studying around last week of May, and I took the DAT today (7/30/16). (~10 weeks)

My score:
AA/TS/Bio/Gchem/Ochem/RC/QR/PAT
26/28/30/25/29/22/23/27

Materials used:
1) Chad's: Everyone knows by now that this is a must for the chems.
2) Destroyer 2016 (+ Math Destroyer): This is also a must if you plan to get 21+. Go through it twice at least I would say.
3) Bootcamp: I think bootcamp was the most accurate to my actual exam. If not just slightly harder. PAT was similar (yes, I got 4 rock keyhole questions. Did those by paying attention to minute details and process of elimination). QR was harder on the actual exam. But bootcamp is a must as well, since their PAT generators can do wonders. For sections I thought I was weak on in PAT, I did a ton of generator problems and tried to develop my own techniques especially for angle ranking because there were so many different cases (obtuse, acute, parallel orientation, arbitrary orientation, dissimilar segment lengths, etc). Different techniques work differently for people. I think its best to keep experimenting on your own until you find your own technique.
4) Feralis: Very detailed. Its very long and hard to read, so I think it is useful as a reference material for things you think you need more supplementation. I read Feralis about 2 times.
5) Cliff's 4th edition: Or 3rd edition. 4th edition is great, but has too much detail on certain chapters that aren't tested much by DAT, and has little in plants. Go through it once as a starting point for bio.
6) Qvault Bio: I found this to be slightly harder than BC. I think for bio, utilizing various study resources is the way to go. There is just too much information and you its best you are exposed to more topics than depth. That's why I got just bio for Qvault.
7) Kaplan Blue Book: Only used it for the full test. The content on this is pretty basic, and should be used only as a starter, if at all.
8) DAT genius (the first free full test): The bio section here is pretty hard. The rest are ok. I think DAT genius can be just as good as Bootcamp, except for the PAT. Bio is harder than BC.
9) 2009 ADA test: So I don't recommend doing this exam unless you have the updated version. I just found a pdf online and found a ton of errors. And the QR on this is unnecessarily hard, and not worth the time and energy.

I studied Cliff's for the first 3 weeks. Doing about a chapter or two a day. Did only multiple choice problems not the free answers. Took notes so I can come back to it later to review. I reviewed everything I studied at the end of each week.

I then found a Cliff's pdf for 3rd edition, and read some more on plants.
For chem and orgo I watched Chad's, 1 set of videos per day during the first 3 weeks. (I would do 1 day bio and chem, one day bio and orgo...etc. Mix it up.) Took notes, took his quizzes.

During 4th week I just reviewed everything, reading through my notes, trying fill holes here and there for what additional information I might be missing by just looking them up, or reading through Feralis on specific parts.

During 5th week, I started destroyer, did about 60 bio, 40 chem, 30 orgo questions per day. Finished it in about 2 weeks, and on the 7th week I went through it one more time, 100 bio, 60 chem, and 50 orgo questions per day. During the whole time I made flashcards for bio for things I got wrong. (about 95% of them, not all of them. Certain easy ones or mistakes I didn't make flashcards). I looked up things if I thought I needed more knowledge in particular areas while doing destroyer.

During 8th and 9th week, I did everything in bootcamp except for Math.
I averaged around
Bio: 24.5
Ochem: 27.5
Gchem: 24.5
PAT: 23 first time, 25 second time
Reading: 20

During the last 2 weeks, I read more Feralis notes to supplement places where I thought I was not as proficient, did about ~7 Math Destroyer Tests (averaged 37/40~40/40), ~7 Bootcamp QR tests (averaged around 26), did the one DAT genius Full Length Free test (The bio section was a bit harder than Qvault/BC imo), got Qvault bio and did those (I got 22 most of the times with a few 25). I also sometimes read through my flashcards. But I only read through my flashcards about 5 times or so because I felt like I knew them well by then, and I thought time would be better spent on Feralis. Basically just doing things here and there to supplement where I felt I lacked, while doing more math. I also re-did a couple PAT exams and scored around 25s second time doing them.

Reading was my worst section. I was never really good at it and Korean is my first language. BC reading is pretty hard. Other study materials were around similar, and the actual exam was around the same as those. I used the mapping method.

I think it also helps to study QR in more depth. Although I am generally pretty good at math, during the real exam I felt pretty rushed. I haven't taken a single math course other than stats in college and I've really lost a lot of momentum in maths. I think this might be an issue for a lot of others as well. I think the reason is that more often than not a lot of people kind of underestimate QR and study it mostly from just practice tests and cheat sheets. But this is basically studying how to do certain types of problems, instead of really learning them again from the core concepts. However, I think QR can be best conquered by studying it like the sciences, more in depth with each chapter/topic. Math Destroyer and Bootcamp were great preparations, but to get close to a 30, you need to be able to apply concepts in a variety of ways. You only see a limited number of types of problems in destroyer and Bootcamp. I kind of regret underestimating QR and studying towards the end, so if I could go back, I would revisit algebra 2, precalculus, and geometry a bit more in depth.

Lastly, I think its really important to go over wrong answers in depth, and even some correct answers if you weren't 100% for every single choice of the question. I found that to help me as well. A lot of times we think we know something just because we got it right, but sometimes that can be a false sense of security. Make sure you know every single problem 110%.

The day before exam I went to barnes and nobles and did one full exam from Barron's. Other than that I didn't do much. Try to stay positive and rest up. Do not get so inside your head about all the bad scenarios. As long you are scoring around how you want to score, you will do well. I know its tempting to review more material, but its just an irrational sense of insecurity most of the times by that point. Its better to rest up completely, if not majority of the day before, and stay positive!

DAT is half a mental game and half studying efficiently. I felt I could not go on without a bit of destressing here and there and hanging out with my friends.

Good luck everybody!
P.S. Shout out to Nancy, Dr. Romano, Ari, Feralis for preparing me for this short journey!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 13898757_1337377586291661_179748984_o.png
    13898757_1337377586291661_179748984_o.png
    883.8 KB · Views: 776
Last edited:
Reactions: 24 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, its time for my breakdown.

My score:
26/28/30/25/29/22/23/27

I started studying around last week of May, and I took the DAT today (7/30/16). (~11 weeks)

Materials used:
2) Destroyer 2016 (+ Math Destroyer): This is also a must if you plan to get 21+. Go through it twice at least I would say.
3) Bootcamp: I think bootcamp was the most accurate to my actual exam. If not just slightly harder. PAT was similar (yes, I got 4 rock keyhole questions. Did those by paying attention to minute details and process of elimination). QR was harder on the actual exam. But bootcamp is a must as well, since their PAT generators can do wonders. For sections I thought I was weak on in PAT, I did a ton of generator problems and tried to develop my own techniques especially for angle ranking. Different techniques work differently for people. I think its best to keep experimenting on your own until you find your own technique.
4) Feralis: Very detailed. Its very long and hard to read, so I think it is useful as a reference material for things you think you need more supplementation.
5) Cliff's 4th edition: Or 3rd edition. 4th edition is great, but has too much detail on certain chapters that aren't tested much by DAT, and has little in plants. Go through it once as a starting point for bio.
6) Qvault Bio: I found this to be slightly harder than BC. I think for bio, utilizing various study resources is the way to go. That's why I got just bio for Qvault.
7) Kaplan Blue Book: Only used it for the full test.
8) DAT genius (the first free full test): The bio section here is pretty hard. The rest are ok. I think DAT genius can be just as good as Bootcamp, except for the PAT. Bio is harder than BC.
9) 2009 ADA test: So I recommend doing this exam unless you have the updated version. I just found a pdf online and found a ton of errors. And the QR on this is unnecessarily hard, and not worth the time and energy.

I studied Cliff's for the first 3 weeks. Doing about a chapter or two a day. Did only multiple choice problems not the free answers. Took notes so I can come back to it later to review. I reviewed everything I studied at the end of each week.

For chem and orgo I watched Chad's, 1 set of videos per day during the first 3 weeks. (I would do 1 day bio and chem, one day bio and orgo...etc. Mix it up.) Took notes, took his quizzes.

During 4th week I just reviewed everything, reading through my notes, trying fill holes here and there for what additional information I might be missing by just looking them up, or reading through Feralis on specific parts.

During 5th week, I started destroyer, did about 60 bio, 40 chem, 30 orgo questions per day. Finished it in about 2 weeks, and on the 7th week I went through it one more time, 100 bio, 60 chem, and 50 orgo questions per day. During the whole time I made flashcards for bio for things I got wrong. (about 95% of them, not all of them. Certain easy ones or mistakes I didn't make flashcards). I looked up things if I thought I needed more knowledge in particular areas while doing destroyer.

I averaged around
Gchem: 24
PAT: 22.5

During the last 2 weeks, I read more Feralis notes to supplement places where I thought I was not as proficient, did about ~7 Math Destroyer Tests (averaged 37/40~40/40), ~7 Bootcamp QR tests (averaged around 25), did the one DAT genius Full Length Free test (The bio section was a bit harder than Qvault/BC imo), got Qvault bio and did those (I got 22 most of the times with a few 25). I also sometimes read through my flashcards. But I only read through my flashcards about 5 times or so because I felt like I knew them well by then, and I thought time would be better spent on Feralis. Basically just doing things here and there to supplement where I felt I lacked, while doing more math. I also re-did a couple PAT exams and scored around 25s.

The day before exam I went to barnes and nobles and did one full exam from Barron's. Other than that I didn't do much. Try to stay positive and rest up.

Reading was my worst section. I was never really good at it. BC reading is pretty hard. Other study materials were around similar, and the actual exam was around the same as those. I used the mapping method.

Congratulations! Amazing scores..and a 30 in Bio is not easy to accomplish. It took a lot of hard work and dedication to achieve these scores.

Wishing you the best and with a AA26 TS28 you will have your choice of dental schools.

Nancy

Oh this is so godly. Wanna show some proof ;). Unfortunately you didn't avenge me in math xD
Haha yeah, I was a bit too anxious I think. My head got a little bit murky because of it. Oh well haha, its also my fault for preparing math mostly only at the end.

Reactions: 1 users
@Don Kim Congrats on your amazing success!

PS- I recommend taking down that PDF/attached score report and blacking out your full name/DENTPIN.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey I wanted out of there too! It's a shame neither of us got the 30 in math but you did an amazing job overall bud!! :D

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone! Honestly, I literally could not bring myself to believe my scores were real haha. I think luck definitely does play a role in what kind of exam you get. Also, I could not have done it without everyone's enthusiastic help here on SDN :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
This guy is such a beast :D! I'm just slightly disappointed that he couldn't avenge me in math ;). It was fun seeing you answer math questions too haha! I hope you're relaxing dude. You really deserve it

Hi!
I know I am replying on an old post but I need help on my RC.
My first language is Korean, too, and I am struggling to find study materials for RC.
So far I was just kinda studying off of my old SAT Reading sections... but it seems too easy, and the questions look too basic compared to RC in BC.
My DAT is in a one and half month and I am getting stressed!
I will be really happy if you can give me any tip on RC :)

Also, I had been underestimating QR til today... after reading your thread I feel like I am going to start studying QR NOW. Thank you for warning me ahead. haha

hey man, if you had to do it again, how would you study for the QR? What resources would you use? I'm currently studying for the DAT and not really sure which resources are best for the QR. Thanks

Hi!
I know I am replying on an old post but I need help on my RC.
My first language is Korean, too, and I am struggling to find study materials for RC.
So far I was just kinda studying off of my old SAT Reading sections... but it seems too easy, and the questions look too basic compared to RC in BC.
My DAT is in a one and half month and I am getting stressed!
I will be really happy if you can give me any tip on RC :)

Also, I had been underestimating QR til today... after reading your thread I feel like I am going to start studying QR NOW. Thank you for warning me ahead. haha

SAT reading is easy for you? OoO then I think you are far better than I am in reading comprehension haha. Um...what do you score in RC currently? I don't have much tips other than just to read scientific american daily, and find a method that works best for you and drilling that method.

hey man, if you had to do it again, how would you study for the QR? What resources would you use? I'm currently studying for the DAT and not really sure which resources are best for the QR. Thanks

IfI had to study QR again I would probably use math destroyer again, and maybe watch Chad's math videos. He seemed to go over them in detail as there were ample videos on math. Basically, I would study the maths in more depth than just practice tests, kind of like how I would study chemistry.

Reactions: 2 users
IfI had to study QR again I would probably use math destroyer again, and maybe watch Chad's math videos. He seemed to go over them in detail as there were ample videos on math. Basically, I would study the maths in more depth than just practice tests, kind of like how I would study chemistry.
Great! Thats good to hear because I have the math destroyer on the way right now lol. I'll check out the chad videos as well. thanks again bro!

goalsss!!

which practice tests did you use?

Mostly bootcamp. I also used the ADA 2009, Kaplan blue book, one DAT genius test, and one DAT barrons test. Bootcamp is probably the most reflective for the most part, and the RC on BC is slightly harder. KBB is the easiest, DAT genius is similar to bootcamp except for bio, which I thought was slightly harder.

are your dat bootcamp scores taken from your raw scores (e.g. x out of 40 questions for bio) or the score that shows up when you complete the test?

Hi guys,

I started studying around last week of May, and I took the DAT today (7/30/16). (~10 weeks)

My score:
26/28/30/25/29/22/23/27

Materials used:
3) Bootcamp: I think bootcamp was the most accurate to my actual exam. If not just slightly harder. PAT was similar (yes, I got 4 rock keyhole questions. Did those by paying attention to minute details and process of elimination). QR was harder on the actual exam. But bootcamp is a must as well, since their PAT generators can do wonders. For sections I thought I was weak on in PAT, I did a ton of generator problems and tried to develop my own techniques especially for angle ranking because there were so many different cases (obtuse, acute, parallel orientation, arbitrary orientation, dissimilar segment lengths, etc). Different techniques work differently for people. I think its best to keep experimenting on your own until you find your own technique.
4) Feralis: Very detailed. Its very long and hard to read, so I think it is useful as a reference material for things you think you need more supplementation. I read Feralis about 2 times.
6) Qvault Bio: I found this to be slightly harder than BC. I think for bio, utilizing various study resources is the way to go. There is just too much information and you its best you are exposed to more topics than depth. That's why I got just bio for Qvault.
7) Kaplan Blue Book: Only used it for the full test. The content on this is pretty basic, and should be used only as a starter, if at all.
9) 2009 ADA test: So I don't recommend doing this exam unless you have the updated version. I just found a pdf online and found a ton of errors. And the QR on this is unnecessarily hard, and not worth the time and energy.

I averaged around
Gchem: 24.5
PAT: 23 first time, 25 second time

During the last 2 weeks, I read more Feralis notes to supplement places where I thought I was not as proficient, did about ~7 Math Destroyer Tests (averaged 37/40~40/40), ~7 Bootcamp QR tests (averaged around 26), did the one DAT genius Full Length Free test (The bio section was a bit harder than Qvault/BC imo), got Qvault bio and did those (I got 22 most of the times with a few 25). I also sometimes read through my flashcards. But I only read through my flashcards about 5 times or so because I felt like I knew them well by then, and I thought time would be better spent on Feralis. Basically just doing things here and there to supplement where I felt I lacked, while doing more math. I also re-did a couple PAT exams and scored around 25s second time doing them.

Reading was my worst section. I was never really good at it and Korean is my first language. BC reading is pretty hard. Other study materials were around similar, and the actual exam was around the same as those. I used the mapping method.

I think it also helps to study QR in more depth. Although I am generally pretty good at math, during the real exam I felt pretty rushed. I haven't taken a single math course other than stats in college and I've really lost a lot of momentum in maths. I think this might be an issue for a lot of others as well. I think the reason is that more often than not a lot of people kind of underestimate QR and study it mostly from just practice tests and cheat sheets. But this is basically studying how to do certain types of problems, instead of really learning them again from the core concepts. However, I think QR can be best conquered by studying it like the sciences, more in depth with each chapter/topic. Math Destroyer and Bootcamp were great preparations, but to get close to a 30, you need to be able to apply concepts in a variety of ways. You only see a limited number of types of problems in destroyer and Bootcamp. I kind of regret underestimating QR and studying towards the end, so if I could go back, I would revisit algebra 2, precalculus, and geometry a bit more in depth.

Lastly, I think its really important to go over wrong answers in depth, and even some correct answers if you weren't 100% for every single choice of the question. I found that to help me as well. A lot of times we think we know something just because we got it right, but sometimes that can be a false sense of security. Make sure you know every single problem 110%.

The day before exam I went to barnes and nobles and did one full exam from Barron's. Other than that I didn't do much. Try to stay positive and rest up. Do not get so inside your head about all the bad scenarios. As long you are scoring around how you want to score, you will do well. I know its tempting to review more material, but its just an irrational sense of insecurity most of the times by that point. Its better to rest up completely, if not majority of the day before, and stay positive!

DAT is half a mental game and half studying efficiently. I felt I could not go on without a bit of destressing here and there and hanging out with my friends.

Good luck everybody!
P.S. Shout out to Nancy, Dr. Romano, Ari, Feralis for preparing me for this short journey!
Any Idea if DAT and Math destroyer 2011 edition is okay ?

Any Idea if DAT and Math destroyer 2011 edition is okay ?
I know you'll have the majority of the same material but if I had to guess with newer editions you'll get an extra 100 bio questions and for math there's a few extra tests. Last ones in math destroyer can be pretty representative of the real DAT. You can get by with the 2011 imo but if you feel more comfortable with a newer edition, i'd go for it

I know you'll have the majority of the same material but if I had to guess with newer editions you'll get an extra 100 bio questions and for math there's a few extra tests. Last ones in math destroyer can be pretty representative of the real DAT. You can get by with the 2011 imo but if you feel more comfortable with a newer edition, i'd go for it
Thank you I appreciate the input , any idea where can one buy DAT destroyer i can't find it on amazon ( PS I live in Canada )

Thank you I appreciate the input , any idea where can one buy DAT destroyer i can't find it on amazon ( PS I live in Canada )
orgoman.com is the only place where you can buy new copies of DAT destroyer. If i had the take the DAT again, I would pony up the cash and buy new editions. They wouldn't be making a new edition each year if they weren't improving it. Study this book and any score is possible!