DAT BC RXN summary sheet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2thDoc11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else used this to study for the DAT orgo section? Is it sufficient for the reactions? For those who have taken the DAT, what do they tend to ask most on the orfo section? Mostly just reaction products? Also what about gen chem section? Are they mostly questions that involve equations or is it more so "which element is more electro negative" or "is this question involving gameplay decay, positron emission etc"

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hey I haven't taken my DAT yet but the rxn sheet is what, according to many , you should focus on -- dr mike made it so that we can focus our studies on the high yield reactions for the DAT. I would focus on memorizing all the reactions , their reagents + products because as long as you know those , for any reaction you're given you'll be able to ace the question regardless of how many reagents they give. I took Orgo my sophomore year (3 yrs ago) and thiis techiniqe helped me. once I felt I aced the memorization ; I would go to random questions and practice.

If you use Destroyer, I know there is a rxn summary in there too, similar to that of Dr. Mikes so either or is fine - just know your rxns! because around 1/3 of the exam is just rxns for Orgo. For G.C - its like bio - very broad ; so I would study everything: calcs/concepts bc you never know what they might throw on there.

Reactions: 1 users
hey I haven't taken my DAT yet but the rxn sheet is what, according to many , you should focus on -- dr mike made it so that we can focus our studies on the high yield reactions for the DAT. I would focus on memorizing all the reactions , their reagents + products because as long as you know those , for any reaction you're given you'll be able to ace the question regardless of how many reagents they give. I took Orgo my sophomore year (3 yrs ago) and thiis techiniqe helped me. once I felt I aced the memorization ; I would go to random questions and practice.

If you use Destroyer, I know there is a rxn summary in there too, similar to that of Dr. Mikes so either or is fine - just know your rxns! because around 1/3 of the exam is just rxns for Orgo. For G.C - its like bio - very broad ; so I would study everything: calcs/concepts bc you never know what they might throw on there.
Are you by using the dat destroyer for everything? I'm having a rough time with general chem and need to find something to supplement the destroyer cause that's not doing the trick. Something that's great to review prior?

Are you by using the dat destroyer for everything? I'm having a rough time with general chem and need to find something to supplement the destroyer cause that's not doing the trick. Something that's great to review prior?
Actually no Im not using Destroyer for Orgo -- im only using bootcamp. Im understanding everything in Bootcamp notes - then memorizing the reactions ; once i'm done with that if I feel iffy / not too sure about a topic I go on youtube and practice. you CAN use destroyer for the Orgo, but I dont have enough time so im focusing on my weaknesses.

For gen chem, i was also struggling, but trust me, once you go through the BC Gen chem notes, make sure you understand all the concepts / calculations. then go to destroyer to supplement. I'm using destroyer for gen Chem -- the questions, yes they are tricky - but this Is why I started them after I did practice from the bootcamp G.C notes. It helped me get everything down, then I went to destroyer and practiced - for anything on destroyer I got wrong, I tried to understand why its wrong. I keep a list of topics I got wrong in destroyer so I can revisit them to practice until I memorize. I haven't gone through all the questions, I only did half. do as many as you feel comfortable with, but it is better to start it once you have the foundations of every concept down!

Reactions: 1 user

I personally found the DAT Destroyer sufficient for everything, so I didn't use BC. For OC, I remembered a lot of the reagents from organic chemistry in college, but many of them were very new. The road maps in the OC section of the Destroyer were a godsend. I really wouldn't recommend memorizing anything for OC section especially, though. While there is some memorization in learning what each of the reagents do, you should be able to look at a problem after knowing them and determining the product or whatever the product is looking for without requiring to think back to a road map really. It should become, in a way, second nature. Because you have both resources at your disposal at this point, I would use both OC sections because you already put in the money. But definitely spend a lot of time with the Destroyer OC - everything I saw on my DAT came up in that book.

As for GC, same thing goes. The Destroyer was a godsend. I never really had the effort to memorize equations for this section bar the very important ones that were in the answers of the Destroyer - I preferred doing proportions to figure out as much as I could. The DAT for the chem sections is much less memorization, much more understanding and application. The only section that involves significant memorization, I felt, was biology.

If you're still struggling at this point in the game, maybe you should try going through the Destroyer a bit slower. It's a fantastic resource, even though it is certainly daunting. Try to struggle through one question, regardless of how long it takes, and make an educated guess. Then go to the back and see the solution and proper way to solve it, and take note. Then do the next problem. After doing maybe 15 or so problems, go back and try the ones you got wrong so you can solidify the proper way to solve them in your head and on paper. I've used this technique for the DAT and while studying in college, and it works great (even if it is tedious and takes up a lot of time).

Reactions: 1 users