DAT 6/23/2017 Breakdown (23 AA, 23 TS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chikarin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Note to self: welcome to summer!

I would like to thank God and @Luther2016 (SDNer who sent me the materials to study for the DAT without asking for anything in return, even shipping :D). SDN is an amazing community!

23AA/23TS/24BIO/21GC/23OC/24RC/22QR/20PAT

I took Luther2016's advise on how to study. I studied for a month (first 3 weeks average 4 hrs/day, little more on weekends; the last week 12hrs/day). I did not take any full practice exam except for Bootcamp #1 (and Kaplan #1- just don't even) to see where I was (day 1 study). First three weeks: finished all BC exams (except reading and math). Last week: attempted the science section of the 2007 and 2009 + a ton more work:chicken::chicken:.

BIO: Extremely weak background in physiology, taxonomy, developmental biology and immunology (shame on me - being a bio major :angelic:). Went through Destroyer once and one more time the day before the exam. DON'T JUST MEMORIZE, UNDERSTAND. As I went through, I could explain why an answer was wrong and what was the correct answer (talk out loud, explain it to yourself - you'll be amazed how quickly you pick up the materials!). Some random questions on the real exam as always, but for the most part Destroyer and BC did a good job preparing me for this section.

GC: Forgot most of this. Used Dr. Mike's videos only(BC). Sorry Chad :p. I was low on $$ at that point so I decided to use everything BC has to offer. Honestly thought my score should be a little higher for GC:confused::confused:, but hey, not gonna complain. Did Destroyer GC a week before the exam. Easier on the real thing (still wondered what I got wrong :wacky::wacky:)

OC: fresh out of Orgo II, so I didn't study this section a lot. Did Destroyer orgo two days before the exam and finished the next day to refresh (whoops!)

RC: My only advise for this section is to have confidence in yourself! This is perhaps the only section I stop practicing after the first week. I tried BC RC exams, and man, felt asleep after the second article. It got so bad I literally had to end the exam and took a nap, EVERY SINGLE TIME. However, I found out that I'm pretty good at highlighting the stuffs that got asked on (don't highlight the whole passage, of course). Exam day: The pressure kept me awake, thankfully. First passage I got was 21 or 22 paragraphs long, and it was incredibly boring (yikes), but I kept telling myself I can't let this section bring down my AA. Thankfully, what I highlighted were asked (super pleased about this), which helped me "search and destroy" quickly!

QR: Did most BC exams, but only focus on statistics/probability questions (my weak area). I did get one trig question on the real exam (thought there would be none). I picked out my weak- type-of-questions in Destroyer and did them during that last week.

PAT: Bootcamp, Bootcamp and Bootcamp. Did one BC exam a day that 4th week :> Scored 19-20 on all of them, so that was accurate. The real thing was on par (slightly easier), but I was dying to go to the bathroom I couldn't focus :hungover::hungover:. Keyholes sucks!

As you can tell, I got a lot done that last week leading to the exam. Things click for me when I'm under pressure (know thyself :luck:). IMPORTANT: I think it's super important to take breaks (I finished a few K-dramas by watching an episode whenever I needed a break :dead::dead:). I think what helps most was my attitude walking into the exam: feel confident about your prep work! I was completely calm during the entire exam (kept telling myself you got this). Once you start to panic, it'll go downhill very quickly :).

Best of lucks, SDNers!:soexcited::soexcited: and pls forgive my grammars :>

*For those who wonder: score 17AA on Kaplan #1, all section (maybe most) below 20 LOL.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_20170623_173606-01.jpeg
    IMG_20170623_173606-01.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 121
Reactions: 3 users
Great Scores!

Can you please tell me how difficult/diverse are the questions in biology? Like is reading Cliffs bio book enough? Also, is plants really that important in the bio section according to your exam? Like do I really need to know all the stuff in the Cliffs bio chapter? And finally embryology, how much do I need to know about that?

Awesome scores! Your breakdown is amazing!! Congrats
My test is next week and I'm sort of doing what you did, lol hopefully I can pull of the same scores :highfive:

Reactions: 1 user
Great Scores!

Can you please tell me how difficult/diverse are the questions in biology? Like is reading Cliffs bio book enough? Also, is plants really that important in the bio section according to your exam? Like do I really need to know all the stuff in the Cliffs bio chapter? And finally embryology, how much do I need to know about that?

Diverse, but not impossible: my bio topics were (based on # of questions) physiology> taxonomy> genetics> immunology> evolution (Funny you asked this question, because I don't recall having a single question on neither embryology nor plant :O). But tbh, embryology is pretty interesting, so I picked up the section quickly (I think you will too - Khan Academy works wonder here! Then solidify your knowledge with Feralis' notes on the section). Honestly don't think you need Cliffs for plants - too much details, and the topic itself is not even interesting (for me Destroyer was enough). Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on the superb scores! It sounds like you deserved them. You said probability was your weak section. I'm right there with you. How hard were the probability questions on your exam? because I can usually get the simpler ones but when they start combining all kinds of situations I get lost.

NICE scores! congrats! Im loving the double 23s! since you just took orgo 2, I'm guessing you're a sophomore? Smart move taking it after sophomore year. It has paid off for me this application cycle. and I agree, kaplan's practice tests are super hard. I did awful on those even after studying a ton.

Congratulations on the superb scores! It sounds like you deserved them. You said probability was your weak section. I'm right there with you. How hard were the probability questions on your exam? because I can usually get the simpler ones but when they start combining all kinds of situations I get lost.

Hey,

The probability questions I got were really simple and straightforward - although there was one difficult one straight out from Destroyer and maybe one more which more than two things happen!

NICE scores! congrats! Im loving the double 23s! since you just took orgo 2, I'm guessing you're a sophomore? Smart move taking it after sophomore year. It has paid off for me this application cycle. and I agree, kaplan's practice tests are super hard. I did awful on those even after studying a ton.

Actually a Junior :) somehow went from accounting to bio/pre-dent :rolleyes::rolleyes: no regrets lol

Congratulations on your scores! Just two questions- what version of the destroyer did you use? And also, did you get the math destroyer? (I have an older version and it includes a QR section, so just wondering what you used). Thank you!

:) I used the 2016 Destroyer. No math destroyer. All my probability practice was from Bootcamp and that last math section of the older ver. Destroyer. Good luck!

Note to self: welcome to summer!

I would like to thank God and @Luther2016 (SDNer who sent me the materials to study for the DAT without asking for anything in return, even shipping :D). SDN is an amazing community!

23AA/23TS/24BIO/21GC/23OC/24RC/22QR/20PAT

I took Luther2016's advise on how to study. I studied for a month (first 3 weeks average 4 hrs/day, little more on weekends; the last week 12hrs/day). I did not take any full practice exam except for Bootcamp #1 (and Kaplan #1- just don't even) to see where I was (day 1 study). First three weeks: finished all BC exams (except reading and math). Last week: attempted the science section of the 2007 and 2009 + a ton more work:chicken::chicken:.

BIO: Extremely weak background in physiology, taxonomy, developmental biology and immunology (shame on me - being a bio major :angelic:). Went through Destroyer once and one more time the day before the exam. DON'T JUST MEMORIZE, UNDERSTAND. As I went through, I could explain why an answer was wrong and what was the correct answer (talk out loud, explain it to yourself - you'll be amazed how quickly you pick up the materials!). Some random questions on the real exam as always, but for the most part Destroyer and BC did a good job preparing me for this section.

GC: Forgot most of this. Used Dr. Mike's videos only(BC). Sorry Chad :p. I was low on $$ at that point so I decided to use everything BC has to offer. Honestly thought my score should be a little higher for GC:confused::confused:, but hey, not gonna complain. Did Destroyer GC a week before the exam. Easier on the real thing (still wondered what I got wrong :wacky::wacky:)

OC: fresh out of Orgo II, so I didn't study this section a lot. Did Destroyer orgo two days before the exam and finished the next day to refresh (whoops!)

RC: My only advise for this section is to have confidence in yourself! This is perhaps the only section I stop practicing after the first week. I tried BC RC exams, and man, felt asleep after the second article. It got so bad I literally had to end the exam and took a nap, EVERY SINGLE TIME. However, I found out that I'm pretty good at highlighting the stuffs that got asked on (don't highlight the whole passage, of course). Exam day: The pressure kept me awake, thankfully. First passage I got was 21 or 22 paragraphs long, and it was incredibly boring (yikes), but I kept telling myself I can't let this section bring down my AA. Thankfully, what I highlighted were asked (super pleased about this), which helped me "search and destroy" quickly!

QR: Did most BC exams, but only focus on statistics/probability questions (my weak area). I did get one trig question on the real exam (thought there would be none). I picked out my weak- type-of-questions in Destroyer and did them during that last week.

PAT: Bootcamp, Bootcamp and Bootcamp. Did one BC exam a day that 4th week :> Scored 19-20 on all of them, so that was accurate. The real thing was on par (slightly easier), but I was dying to go to the bathroom I couldn't focus :hungover::hungover:. Keyholes sucks!

As you can tell, I got a lot done that last week leading to the exam. Things click for me when I'm under pressure (know thyself :luck:). IMPORTANT: I think it's super important to take breaks (I finished a few K-dramas by watching an episode whenever I needed a break :dead::dead:). I think what helps most was my attitude walking into the exam: feel confident about your prep work! I was completely calm during the entire exam (kept telling myself you got this). Once you start to panic, it'll go downhill very quickly :).

Best of lucks, SDNers!:soexcited::soexcited: and pls forgive my grammars :>

*For those who wonder: score 17AA on Kaplan #1, all section (maybe most) below 20 LOL.

Congrats on the great scores!!!