Dasp Update!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HawkeyeDDS

Agent Micheal Scarn
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got the official word from my Command, that effective 24 April 2008 the DASP increase is as follows:

0-Less than 3 years = 10,000
3-less than 10= 12,000
over 10= 15,000.

This is true for the Army, hopefully it will be for all the services.

Members don't see this ad.

The Navy has rogered up on that too... according to the Corps-wide Weekly Dental Update we are waiting on the publication of a NAVADMIN to guide in the renegotiation process. It should be out in the next month or so.

so your telling me I just got a $6000 raise and I still haven't graduated (thanks for the graduation gift)----that has me a little fired up to head off to San Antonio this summer.
:D

Members don't see this ad :)
so your telling me I just got a $6000 raise and I still haven't graduated (thanks for the graduation gift)----that has me a little fired up to head off to San Antonio this summer.

That's right, the second you sign in make sure you also sign your DASP with your personel person at the DENTAC HDQTS. A month or so later, 10K will be yours.

Nice timing

On side note. make sure you get your license. A lot new residents at my command didn't get their license right away or not at all because you don;t technically need one your first year. However you can;t get the DASP until you have a valid license.

hoorah on 10k

What is DASP? I am considering joining the Navy and want to understand everything, before I sign.

What is DASP? I am considering joining the Navy and want to understand everything, before I sign.

Technically it's called ASP (Additional Special Pay),

From Military.com website:
ASP is payable to all dental officers who execute a contract to remain on active duty for at least 1 year and meet the eligibility requirements. Amounts range from $4,000 to $15,000 annually, depending on CSED (Creditable Service Entry Date).

So does that mean that in 2012, when i finish dental school i will automatically receive 10k? (assuming thats what it is in 4 years) Even though i am already contractually obligated to serve 4 years for my HPSP

Technically it's called ASP (Additional Special Pay),

From Military.com website:
ASP is payable to all dental officers who execute a contract to remain on active duty for at least 1 year and meet the eligibility requirements. Amounts range from $4,000 to $15,000 annually, depending on CSED (Creditable Service Entry Date).

Let's hope all the branches follow suit w/ this. That would be huge

the piece of legislation that provided for this increase in bonus is the 2008 National Defense Authorization Act. it increases the Additional Special Pay (not annual, as i think i said earlier) from $4K to $10K for dentists with less than 3 years of service. POTUS signed it into law, so it is not an issue of each branch (or PH corps, etc) deciding to grant it to their dental officers. the NAVADMIN is being written right now, as are the admin procedures for the USA and USAF, i am sure.

*info from the Winter/Spring 2008 Federal Dental News published by the ADA.

woot for some extra pay!

That's right, the second you sign in make sure you also sign your DASP with your personel person at the DENTAC HDQTS. A month or so later, 10K will be yours.

Just for clarification---when we get our license and apply for our DASP, will we receive a lump sum distribution of 10k----if so, how much do they take out for taxes?
Thanks

i dunno about the 10K amount, but last year for the 4K bonus i ended up with a little more than 3K and change after taxes.