Any update on the Army's last set of HPSP boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Santiago12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last my recruiter told me, there were only 11 4 yr Army HPSP Scholarships remaining after the first two boards. This last board was held March 22. I was just curious if anyone else on here is up for this set of boards or if they heard any news on it? (whether you received:), waitlisted:scared:, non-select:mad:, etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

My recruiter told me 30 (this was about a month ago), so there's a large discrepancy there :confused:

Hey John Durian, are you up for this round of Army boards, or have you already been awarded an Army HPSP in a previous board?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah, not up for boards (yet).

So I just heard from my recruiter and the results came back, kind of...

There were a total of 19 people up for this Mar 22 board. There were two non-selects and four wait-listed- the names of these individuals have been given and they know their outcome.

No one apparently has been selected outright.

The remaining thirteen candidates, of which I am one, are in a more nebulous state. We haven't been given an up or down, but seem to be on the verge of one. We also all seem to be awaiting the return of our scrolls with no definite answer. There are 11 scholarships available, but my recruiter mentioned the possibility they might have shuffled some cash around to make available 13. Is anyone else in this situation? Can anyone else shed some light on this?

:luck:
John Durian...I was wrong from the above post, my apologies. There is another board apparently in a few months, but it doesn't award any 4 yr scholarships (as all of them will be expended). Rather, you will either be a non-select or put on the wait list for a 3 yr HPSP scholarship (or, if everything goes as it did last year, possibly be awarded on Oct. 1 a 3.5 yr scholarship with a 4 yr service obligation)

Good luck, Santiago. Thanks for the head's up. I was wondering about all of this because I recently spoke to my recruiter and he said I was up for boards in May (or something like that).

It sounds like your recruiter is much more honest than mine. I quoted him as saying 30, but it sounds your number is much more realistic as it is verrrrry late in the cycle. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a 3 year. I'm not sure 3.5 is worth it *mulling it over*

Good luck to you John Durian. Yeah, I've been really impressed and pleased with my recruiter. You're recruiter, however, might not necessarily be lieing to you because frankly I don't know how many people they offer 3 or 3.5 yr scholarships, it could well be around 30 .(unless he said you could still get a 4 yr, that you can't)

As for choosing between a 3 yr or 3.5 year, it really boils down to two factors, 1) would you prefer the Army or private practice? and 2) do you want to specialize?

If you want to stay in the Army for a long time, or if you want to specialize, I recommend taking the 3.5 yrs. If you want to get out asap and just want to be a General Dentist, take the 3. If you take the 3.5 yr, you are losing out on a year of your maximum earning potential (w/ the 4 yr commitment), which for a GD lets estimate at 75 K more than what you would earn in the Army. I added up the benefits of the scholarship, including tuition, books, the stipend, the signing bonus, what you would spend on interest for an extra semesters tuition- it all comes out to about 75 k too. So really, there is no financial gain between 3 yr and 3.5, so just go where you want to be (army vs private practice). If you want to specialize, however, and want to do it through the Army (as you should), then you might as well take the 3.5 yr, bc you are going to owe time for your specialization (the time you owe for specialization runs concurrently with your original HPSP committment)

Take endo for instance, its a 2 yr residency w/ a 3 yr payback (according to my recruiter). If you get endo right out (which seems almost impossible, but some of the other specialties are possible). But let's just assume for a second you miraculously get endo right out of dental school, you will spend a total of 6 yrs in the army (2 yr residency + 4 yr HPSP payback, during which your Endo specialization payback is also fulfilled). If you want out of the Army, you are only screwed if you decide to specialize at the end of your HPSP commitment. (4 yr Hpsp payback+2 yr residency + 3 yr specialization payback = 9 yrs)

Additionally, if you're like me and want to do the Army thing for its own sake, then take the 3.5 yr. Hope that helps!

I'd like to join the Army for the experience and the fact that my tuition is paid for is a real kicker. I'll choose the 3 year over the 3.5 year HPSP if given the chance. If I hate it, I can get out 1 year earlier. If I love it or want to specialize, then I can just stay in.

Thanks for all the info though, Santiago. It's like the condensed version of 5 threads ahhaha

Good luck to you John Durian. Yeah, I've been really impressed and pleased with my recruiter. You're recruiter, however, might not necessarily be lieing to you because frankly I don't know how many people they offer 3 or 3.5 yr scholarships, it could well be around 30 .(unless he said you could still get a 4 yr, that you can't)

As for choosing between a 3 yr or 3.5 year, it really boils down to two factors, 1) would you prefer the Army or private practice? and 2) do you want to specialize?

If you want to stay in the Army for a long time, or if you want to specialize, I recommend taking the 3.5 yrs. If you want to get out asap and just want to be a General Dentist, take the 3. If you take the 3.5 yr, you are losing out on a year of your maximum earning potential (w/ the 4 yr commitment), which for a GD lets estimate at 75 K more than what you would earn in the Army. I added up the benefits of the scholarship, including tuition, books, the stipend, the signing bonus, what you would spend on interest for an extra semesters tuition- it all comes out to about 75 k too. So really, there is no financial gain between 3 yr and 3.5, so just go where you want to be (army vs private practice). If you want to specialize, however, and want to do it through the Army (as you should), then you might as well take the 3.5 yr, bc you are going to owe time for your specialization (the time you owe for specialization runs concurrently with your original HPSP committment)

Take endo for instance, its a 2 yr residency w/ a 3 yr payback (according to my recruiter). If you get endo right out (which seems almost impossible, but some of the other specialties are possible). But let's just assume for a second you miraculously get endo right out of dental school, you will spend a total of 6 yrs in the army (2 yr residency + 4 yr HPSP payback, during which your Endo specialization payback is also fulfilled). If you want out of the Army, you are only screwed if you decide to specialize at the end of your HPSP commitment. (4 yr Hpsp payback+2 yr residency + 3 yr specialization payback = 9 yrs)

Additionally, if you're like me and want to do the Army thing for its own sake, then take the 3.5 yr. Hope that helps!

Speaking from past years trends - they have had around 50 or so 3 yr scholarships that have been offered. The new amount won't be announced until next fall - so there is no way to speculate.

Again - please realize that there is no guarantee that a 3.5 yr scholarship will even be offered. Since recruiting trends have been great for the last 3 years - they may not offer the 3.5 at all next year similar to what the Navy has done.

So I just heard from my recruiter and the results came back, kind of...

There were a total of 19 people up for this Mar 22 board. There were two non-selects and four wait-listed- the names of these individuals have been given and they know their outcome.

No one apparently has been selected outright.

The remaining thirteen candidates, of which I am one, are in a more nebulous state. We haven't been given an up or down, but seem to be on the verge of one. We also all seem to be awaiting the return of our scrolls with no definite answer. There are 11 scholarships available, but my recruiter mentioned the possibility they might have shuffled some cash around to make available 13. Is anyone else in this situation? Can anyone else shed some light on this?

:luck:
John Durian...I was wrong from the above post, my apologies. There is another board apparently in a few months, but it doesn't award any 4 yr scholarships (as all of them will be expended). Rather, you will either be a non-select or put on the wait list for a 3 yr HPSP scholarship (or, if everything goes as it did last year, possibly be awarded on Oct. 1 a 3.5 yr scholarship with a 4 yr service obligation)

My recruiter told me over a month ago that I was selected pending scroll. We're just waiting for Senate to approve me as an officer. However, I still haven't gotten my scroll back. Does this mean that a scholarship is reserved for me and once it comes back then I can commission. Or is it possible that when I finally get my scroll back all the scholarships could be taken up and then I no longer have the scholarship?

I'm beginning to get a little nervous and my recruiter hasn't been answering my phone calls...

Man, if I didn't get this scholarship my entire plan would be completely messed up.

My recruiter told me over a month ago that I was selected pending scroll. We're just waiting for Senate to approve me as an officer. However, I still haven't gotten my scroll back. Does this mean that a scholarship is reserved for me and once it comes back then I can commission. Or is it possible that when I finally get my scroll back all the scholarships could be taken up and then I no longer have the scholarship?

I'm beginning to get a little nervous and my recruiter hasn't been answering my phone calls...

Man, if I didn't get this scholarship my entire plan would be completely messed up.

That should mean you have one reserved for you - just pending final approval.

Last edited:
I too am waiting for my scrolls to come back.

My question is- How long does it typically take for scrolls to return?

It's been 47 days so far for me...