Cycloketocaine... (NCAA Football rambling thread)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah...nothing like picking on a lowly independent like Navy. Yeah, they got the #1 rushing offense in the country. Who did they play? Oh yeah, the powerhouses of East Carolina, Stanford (those scary trees!), Tulsa (wtf is a golden hurricane anyway?), uconn, Air Force with their God Fearing coach, and then Rutgers.

Though they lost, they ran all over Notre Dame, too. Navy can run the ball, it's their bread and butter. Just look at the stats.

Rutgers, WVU, and UL are playing in a small pond. How can you call that a major conference when a team like USF could of been last years Big East Conference Champion.

USF had a stout defense and one of the top 10 RBs in the nation, Andre Hall. Their defense was BETTER and FASTER than Georgia. They defended WVU much, much better than UGA. I know this shocks you because you know nothing about Northern football. I know how Southerners are. They think football is only played in the SEC. USF was the most underrated team in the nation last year. I can use the same vacuous Johnny-come-lately logic you used in every conference, anyway. What does it say about the ACC if Wake Forest could be the champ or the SEC if Arkansas could be the champ? It means Wake is good and Arkansas is good. Why is it inconceivable that USF was pretty good last year?

It would be much more impressive if one of the teams ran the table with the likes of Miami, Virginia Tech and Boston College in the conference but alas those days are over.

All those teams suck this year. And I hate to break it to you, but the Big East has THREE BCS top 12 teams. Three. Out of eight. Now obviously that will change as we all butt heads and take each other out. I won't use that excuse, however. Don't want to risk sounding like an SEC fan.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/poll?poll=BCS

Members don't see this ad.

Though they lost, they ran all over Notre Dame, too. Navy can run the ball, it's their bread and butter. Just look at the stats.

Yeah, ND as a team gives up on average 4 yards per carry. Against Navy, this was increased to 4.9 against them and Navy rushed over 50 times.

USF had a stout defense and one of the top 10 RBs in the nation, Andre Hall. Their defense was BETTER and FASTER than Georgia. They defended WVU much, much better than UGA. I know this shocks you because you know nothing about Northern football. I know how Southerners are. They think football is only played in the SEC. USF was the most underrated team in the nation last year.

Hate to point out the obvious, USF is located in Tampa Florida. I have no idea how that translates to NORTHERN football but in my book, that is located in the South.

All those teams suck this year. And I hate to break it to you, but the Big East has THREE BCS top 12 teams. Three. Out of eight. Now obviously that will change as we all butt heads and take each other out. I won't use that excuse, however. Don't want to risk sounding like an SEC fan.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/poll?poll=BCS

I openly admit the ACC sucks this year. However, typically we are chock full of above average to excellent teams year in and year out mixed in with a pansy (Duke). The SEC is set up the same way only Vandy and Kentucky are the pansies. (of course Vandy managed a way to figure out the spoiler role better as of late) Big East has WVU and UL and thats about it. Rutgers will get Scarlet Fever or some crap and fall to the wayside soon. UConn is a pansy as well as Syracuse. USF is your average to slightly above average team.

The only team with an winning record who played against WVU..Maryland.

WVU's national championship since 1950.. 0
Heisman winners from WVU... 0
Record against Miami .......... 3-16
Record against ND ................ 0-4
Score against FL the last time 7-41
Record against Pitt.... 36-58
Record against FSU.. 0-2
Record against Pac-10 teams 1-8

I could go on all night.. What's my point? WVU is a mediocre program at best with a decent record for the past year and half with a lucky win against GA..38-35 with GA's 2 turnovers??

If at the end of the year WVU wins it all, you'll get a sincere congrats from me because I know what it feels like to see your team win it all.. and I know Caver has experienced the wins also.. But he and I also understand what it's like for your team to have down years.. For that we have learned to take off our school color shades and be little more objective with our opinions.

If your team goes all the way, you'll have a load of fun. If they don't, you'll also learn what it's like to eat crow... and I've eaten enough crows in my life to know when to speak up and when to shut up..

But one thing is for sure. No team will remain on the top forever and your team will lose... It's more certain than death and taxes..

Let WVU win games against worthy opponents.. and win the big one. Until then, just enjoy the season.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, ND as a team gives up on average 4 yards per carry. Against Navy, this was increased to 4.9 against them and Navy rushed over 50 times.

Yeah, Navy is good at running...

Hate to point out the obvious, USF is located in Tampa Florida. I have no idea how that translates to NORTHERN football but in my book, that is located in the South.

USF plays in a Northern conference. Actual geography has nothing to do with it. Hence they are considered a Northern team. Kinda like how BC is now in a Southern conference. Sorry for the confusion.

I openly admit the ACC sucks this year. However, typically we are chock full of above average to excellent teams year in and year out mixed in with a pansy (Duke).

Good for you. The ACC has always sucked. They had to steal the only good program in the Big East and two other johnny-come-latelys to look good.

The SEC is set up the same way only Vandy and Kentucky are the pansies. (of course Vandy managed a way to figure out the spoiler role better as of late)

And miss state and mississippi and south carolina...

Big East has WVU and UL and thats about it. Rutgers will get Scarlet Fever or some crap and fall to the wayside soon.

Yup, that's it.

UConn is a pansy as well as Syracuse. USF is your average to slightly above average team.
UCONN sucks. Cuse isn't that bad. USF is ok. Pitt is good, not great.

The only team with an winning record who played against WVU..Maryland.

WVU's national championship since 1950.. 0
Heisman winners from WVU... 0
Record against Miami .......... 3-16
Record against ND ................ 0-4
Score against FL the last time 7-41
Record against Pitt.... 36-58
Record against FSU.. 0-2
Record against Pac-10 teams 1-8

I could go on all night.. What's my point? WVU is a mediocre program at best with a decent record for the past year and half with a lucky win against GA..38-35 with GA's 2 turnovers??

If at the end of the year WVU wins it all, you'll get a sincere congrats from me because I know what it feels like to see your team win it all.. and I know Caver has experienced the wins also.. But he and I also understand what it's like for your team to have down years.. For that we have learned to take off our school color shades and be little more objective with our opinions.

If your team goes all the way, you'll have a load of fun. If they don't, you'll also learn what it's like to eat crow... and I've eaten enough crows in my life to know when to speak up and when to shut up..

But one thing is for sure. No team will remain on the top forever and your team will lose... It's more certain than death and taxes..

Let WVU win games against worthy opponents.. and win the big one. Until then, just enjoy the season.

And all of this has what exactly to do with THIS year? WVU has had years where they were legit top 10 before. They played for the nat'l title in 1989. But why does this matter? TCU used to be awesome but now they are nothing.

And for the love of God, the Georgia win wasn't luck. Did you actually watch the game? WVU got out to a huge lead, then COMPLETELY changed their play calling and their defensive secondary had a bunch of ******ed mental lapses. I have the DVD, I'll send you a copy. Every UGA touchdown except one TD run was because the secondary blew coverages or were out of position. Every WVU score was because WVU was faster and executed better than UGA except one where a LB was positioned as an outside rusher and WVU's zone blocking scheme blew up the inside and Slaton went 52 yards untouched. That was faulty scheming by UGA, not really a mental lapse by an individul player, however. You people and you're bizarre revisionist history. You should go read that article I posted earlier. It describes you to a "T".

If WVU loses, they lose.

If you want to talk about "This year" then perhaps you should lay off Georgia Victory last year.

Yes, I watched that game and rooted for WVU. I think you guys had a total of about 200 yards rushing.. and few big plays?

GA came out flat totally unprepared and lethargic. And it's not because WVU was a better team. Fairly evident GA players weren't ready to play. I blame the coaches. After the game, talked to a WVU alum.. and he and I both agreed... if they play the game 10 times, GA would win 8 out of 10.

1989 National Championship game..I do believe you guys got blown out by Florida.. again..weak conference and weak OOC schedule expose you in the end.

I would say WVU would be a middle to upper tier team in SEC.. wouldn't go undefeated in SEC.

If you want to talk about "This year" then perhaps you should lay off Georgia Victory last year.

Yes, I watched that game and rooted for WVU. I think you guys had a total of about 200 yards rushing.. and few big plays?

GA came out flat totally unprepared and lethargic. And it's not because WVU was a better team. Fairly evident GA players weren't ready to play. I blame the coaches. After the game, talked to a WVU alum.. and he and I both agreed... if they play the game 10 times, GA would win 8 out of 10.

1989 National Championship game..I do believe you guys got blown out by Florida.. again..weak conference and weak OOC schedule expose you in the end.

I would say WVU would be a middle to upper tier team in SEC.. wouldn't go undefeated in SEC.

It sucks that you can never really know how a team "could" have played. I would venture to say that a conference with 3 or 4 top 10 teams just about every year is a good conference.

Also the comment about "circular Logic". Umm yeah - turns out that is the point of a conference - to play the same teams over and over again...

There are a lot of good teams out there right now - But I just dont see how teams that play "nobody" and no losses are ranked higher than teams playing 2 or 4 ranked teams with one loss. I think Texas probably belongs in the top 3 - Auburn should be up higher than the Gators truth be told. Im not slamming the Rutgers or WVU or Loui - but I think their record would have been vastly different if they played better teams. Kind of like what would happen if UF played nothing by UCF level teams...

~above~

Ok, I'll play your game...if Florida played Louisville, Pitt, Rutgers, and WVU all in the same year this year - would they be undefeated?

That was the 1993 Sugar Bowl. In 1989 they played a good game against Notre Dame. The final was something like 34-24. Major Harris played the gaem injured and was about 50% effective. :(

Georgia wasn't flat, they couldn't keep up. Watch Slaton's TD runs. He outjuked and outran every UGA player in his wake. WVU's line controlled the LOS. It wasn't a fluke. There was no underestimation. If that was the case and they "awoke" in the 2nd half, then why did Slaton get about half of his rushing yards in the 2nd half? It's the status quo armchair coaching analysis that is vacuous. I mean, really, is that your excuse? UGA didn't care? Please.

Ok, I'll play your game...if Florida played Louisville, Pitt, Rutgers, and WVU all in the same year this year - would they be undefeated?

That was the 1993 Sugar Bowl. In 1989 they played a good game against Notre Dame. The final was something like 34-24. Major Harris played the gaem injured and was about 50% effective. :(

Georgia wasn't flat, they couldn't keep up. Watch Slaton's TD runs. He outjuked and outran every UGA player in his wake. WVU's line controlled the LOS. It wasn't a fluke. There was no underestimation. If that was the case and they "awoke" in the 2nd half, then why did Slaton get about half of his rushing yards in the 2nd half? It's the status quo armchair coaching analysis that is vacuous. I mean, really, is that your excuse? UGA didn't care? Please.

Yes, FL would beat Rutgers, Louiville, and WVU.

Boy..the way you describe WVU-GA game, it should have been 52 - 10.. what was the score? 38-35? Sounds like barely getting by.:smuggrin:

Also the comment about "circular Logic". Umm yeah - turns out that is the point of a conference - to play the same teams over and over again...

The SEC plays an awful OOC schedule. The reason say their schedule is tough is because they play each other. What would happen if the SEC was down some year? Because they do not play a tough OOC schedule, nobody would know any better. That's why it's circular logic. The SEC schedule is tough because they play each other and the SEC is always tough. It's silly. That's why I feel ripping the BE's OOC schedule is pointless. Nobody has that tough of a hard OOC schedule except, like, Ball State. They play tough in conference games, thus making comparisons between the conferences hard because there aren't enough mutual opponents or games between top teir schools in each conference. It's why there should be a tournament. Then nobody can bitch. Winners of the BCS conferences + 2 at large. 3 weeks, 1 winner, no illogical whinning.

No, they would go undefeated. Prove me wrong. Oh, guess what, you can't.

Considering WVU had only one undefeated season (with 1 tie) in 1922 dating back to 1891, it's good bet undefeated season is unlikely..tho you guys could do it this year..

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, FL would beat Rutgers, Louiville, and WVU.

AHAHAHAHAHA. No. Or maybe. Who knows. You underestimate all three schools. Rutgers' defense is on par with Michigan. You can deny it all you want, but they are STOUT. Just look a the stats.

Boy..the way you describe WVU-GA game, it should have been 52 - 10.. what was the score? 38-35? Sounds like barely getting by.:smuggrin:

That because WVU went all conservative. But when WVU needed more points in the 4th, they drove 95 yards down UGA's throat and went up 38-28.

Neither can you..

That's my point.

Considering WVU had only one undefeated season (with 1 tie) in 1922 dating back to 1891, it's good bet undefeated season is unlikely..tho you guys could do it this year..

What does that have to do with this year? And before you say anything, the Sugar Bowl is important because WVU returned just about the EXACT same team this year. The offense had to replace 2 guys on the oline and that's IT. That UGA team had multiple NFL players. It's important because we are speaking of the SAME players, SAME coaches, SAME philosophy. Just with another year of experience.

What does that have to do with this year? And before you say anything, the Sugar Bowl is important because WVU returned just about the EXACT same team this year. The offense had to replace 2 guys on the oline and that's IT. That UGA team had multiple NFL players. It's important because we are speaking of the SAME players, SAME coaches, SAME philosophy. Just with another year of experience.

It means since WVU is not considered a top tier program, a top tier program will come offering 3.5mil to RR.. and he'll say.. see ya.:smuggrin:

It means since WVU is not considered a top tier program, a top tier program will come offering 3.5mil to RR.. and he'll say.. see ya.

We'll see. They said the same thing about Nehlen. He didn't go anywhere. Don't forget, he's a native WVian. That means something here.

We'll see. They said the same thing about Nehlen. He didn't go anywhere. Don't forget, he's a native WVian. That means something here.

Nehlen sucked...

Everyone has a price...

I just sneezed on my monitor. Look...pixels

The SEC plays an awful OOC schedule. The reason say their schedule is tough is because they play each other. What would happen if the SEC was down some year? Because they do not play a tough OOC schedule, nobody would know any better. That's why it's circular logic. The SEC schedule is tough because they play each other and the SEC is always tough. It's silly. That's why I feel ripping the BE's OOC schedule is pointless. Nobody has that tough of a hard OOC schedule except, like, Ball State. They play tough in conference games, thus making comparisons between the conferences hard because there aren't enough mutual opponents or games between top teir schools in each conference. It's why there should be a tournament. Then nobody can bitch. Winners of the BCS conferences + 2 at large. 3 weeks, 1 winner, no illogical whinning.

But its entertaining to hear people from fans of programs that have never tasted or sniffed what it's like to be unquestionably the best football team in college football bitch and whine about how much better their team is.

[/b]

But its entertaining to hear people from fans of programs that have never tasted or sniffed what it's like to be unquestionably the best football team in college football bitch and whine about how much better their team is.

It's also entertaining to hear people that have probably never strapped up talk about football. You personally might have played, I don't know. A lot of the analysis on tv and especially the internet is laughable. Most people couldn't even explain what zone blocking is or what a read option is. If I hear one more idiot say that the only thing you need to do to stop WVU's read option is to stack the box, my head may explode. Personally, I've never been this high on WVU ever because WVU has never been this good in my lifetime and I've seen few offenses in the last 10 years that possess the speed the Slaton-White-Reynaud trio has. This isn't blue and gold shades, either, this is documented 40 and 60 times. Three guys like that with LITERAL* sub 4.45 time is hard to get. Heck, even the fullback is fast. I'm sorry if I'm a little psyched.

*A lot of people claim to run sub 4.4 times, but few actually do. Olympians run sub 4.4, not football players. A few, rare players actually run sub 4.45 and WVU has three of them starting on offense. There is a lot of inflation in college football 40 times. Usually the NFL combines clear that up.

It's also entertaining to hear people that have probably never strapped up talk about football. You personally might have played, I don't know. A lot of the analysis on tv and especially the internet is laughable. Most people couldn't even explain what zone blocking is or what a read option is. If I hear one more idiot say that the only thing you need to do to stop WVU's read option is to stack the box, my head may explode. Personally, I've never been this high on WVU ever because WVU has never been this good in my lifetime and I've seen few offenses in the last 10 years that possess the speed the Slaton-White-Reynaud trio has. This isn't blue and gold shades, either, this is documented 40 and 60 times. Three guys like that with LITERAL* sub 4.45 time is hard to get. Heck, even the fullback is fast. I'm sorry if I'm a little psyched.

*A lot of people claim to run sub 4.4 times, but few actually do. Olympians run sub 4.4, not football players. A few, rare players actually run sub 4.45 and WVU has three of them starting on offense. There is a lot of inflation in college football 40 times. Usually the NFL combines clear that up.

Come on! Lamar Thomas' color analysis was quite entertaining during the Miami FIU debachle.

Actually, I did play football in high school so I am familiar with the terminology. You're absolutely correct on how NOT to defend against WVU by stacking the box crap. It's easy pickings by that point for the WVU offense. Honestly, I think teams are better off defending WVU with a dime defense using a Cover 2 scheme. The Dime will allow the defense's fastest people on the field at any given moment unlike any typical 4-3 or 3-4 scheme. WVU will still be able to move the ball on the ground but the defensive attack would be more reactionary rather than creating the play which is what stacking the box would do. In theory, their 4.9 yards per rush average will drop to about 3 yards per rush. When WVU decides to finally pass the ball, the cover 2 scheme will essentially blanket the secondary not allowing any holes in coverage for the first 4-10 yards preventing any short dump passes and forcing WVU to go long to the speed receivers where the chances of catching a pass is about 30%.

Then again, there is a good reason why we are in pharmacy school and not coaching!

Only person bringing up the Stack the line with 9 is you mikey. And yes, I played football..from little league up to HS.. and still play NCAA on my playstation:smuggrin:

WVU, UF, and Texas Tech all run a version of Spread Option. Tech passes more..and WVU runs more. UF perhaps in the middle. Spread Option is a difficult offense to defend. At the same time, It's an offense which can neutralize the field with less talent on the field. The spread option does require QB to make quick decisions out of shotgun and no, you don't defend it with goal line defense. 3-4-4 or 3-3-5..or even a dime package would work better but it's crucial to have talented DE and CB to take away the later territory.

But the best way to defend Spread Option still is the personnel match up. Urban Meyer racked up 461 ypg and 46ppg with Utes..obviously playing in a much weaker conference. However, his gators are seeing less success with much much more talent on the field..mere 384 ypg and 26 ppg.

Why?

More talent on Defense in a stronger conference. WVU will not see the same success in other conferences as they are enjoying now.

Maybe he will shut up now...who knows!

I'm rooting for Rutgers to win the Big East!

Nah..he won't shut up. He'll use "turnovers" "injury" and "500+yards offense" argument to say how great WVU still is...

I want to see Rutgers beat UL... and see WVU beat Rutgers..

So we won't have to hear them bitch when they don't make it to the BCS championship..

Nah..he won't shut up. He'll use "turnovers" "injury" and "500+yards offense" argument to say how great WVU still is...

I want to see Rutgers beat UL... and see WVU beat Rutgers..

So we won't have to hear them bitch when they don't make it to the BCS championship..

As a UF fan - that sounds good to me...

p.s. = the Big East called, they've misplaced their defense:(

ESPN Gameday down in Aggieland!!!

Gig'Em Aggies!:thumbup:

So...I just saw Cal beat UCLA during dinner in a bar/restaurant...does that count for anything:p ????:laugh:

Ohhh...btw...these schools are west of the Mississippi......:laugh:

(what page are we on?????:rolleyes:

So...I just saw Cal beat UCLA during dinner in a bar/restaurant...does that count for anything:p ????:laugh:

Ohhh...btw...these schools are west of the Mississippi......:laugh:

(what page are we on?????:rolleyes:
you need to learn to shut up while you're ahead....

How bout dem aggies and canes!! WHOOO!!!!

HOW DARE YOU!!!! I was paying attention (kind of......:p ) and...I had 2 very nice glasses of Sauvignon Blanc.....

Now...who are the aggies (are we talking UC Davis????:D ) and who are the "canes"??????? Is that like sugar cane??

Can you tell I'm tired???????;)

Oh...btw...we are on page 5!!!!! I know that at least!

HOW DARE YOU!!!! I was paying attention (kind of......:p ) and...I had 2 very nice glasses of Sauvignon Blanc.....

Now...who are the aggies (are we talking UC Davis????:D ) and who are the "canes"??????? Is that like sugar cane??

Can you tell I'm tired???????;)

Oh...btw...we are on page 5!!!!! I know that at least!

Z's beloved Texas A and M Aggies, who my Sooners just BARELY beat. I almost had to take a Xanax to get through that. Eeek...

Z's beloved Texas A and M Aggies, who my Sooners just BARELY beat. I almost had to take a Xanax to get through that. Eeek...

Thank you for the explanation cyclo.....don't go down the Xanax drain!!! Football isn't worth it (however...I did find the white wine definitely made the Cal game better!)

Congrats! (ohhhh...and my condolences Zpak!)...

Thank you for the explanation cyclo.....don't go down the Xanax drain!!! Football isn't worth it (however...I did find the white wine definitely made the Cal game better!)

Congrats! (ohhhh...and my condolences Zpak!)...

That was a great game... Too difficult to watch.

Thank god Trojans pulled through..

College Football will be the death of me.

Hey..I think we got y'all on the schedule next year... could end up a very sloppy game!

I can see the billing of the game now....The Ineptitude Bowl

Should the Aggies wear extra protective gears just in case of "4Hs?"

Hand Held Helmet Hits?

Damn straight I will. Because you predicted it, you obviously saw the same crap I did. Stupid Mother Nature and her weird arm numbing of Slaton crap. And as you graciously mentioned, WVU is still great, but, as I've said all along, as is UL. As long as WVU beats PITT, I'll be happy from here on out. That's all I really care about. Being able to mock those yinzers up in Pittsburgh. If WVU were to lose to them, I'll be in meltdown mode.

UL won't beat Ohio State in the MNC, however. OSU's offense is a smidge less potent than WVU's (when they play like they usually do, not like they did against UL), but their defense is much better (specifically, they don't have Antonio Lewis in at CB to screw everything up). WVU wouldn't beat OSU, either. They are unbelievable. They would have a shot against Michigan, however.

UL's atmosphere is crappy, BTW. I'm sitting there during a critical 3rd down and I'm talking to my wife in a normal speaking tone. It was like a CUSA game. God, Pitt fans are louder than them. Damned yinzers, God bless 'em.

Can't....stop.....laughing............C-jects avatar.........

It was more fun when WVU was undefeated and Mikey all fired up...
Now with one loss, He's become too docile about his team..

It was more fun when WVU was undefeated and Mikey all fired up...
Now with one loss, He's become too docile about his team..
Aww one loss teams are the new thing this year. It's the cool thing to do. Go Gators!