CUSM vs Creighton vs MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bleiken

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm having a really hard time picking between the above three schools.

Main problem: I'm from California and would love to stay in California both for the climate and proximity to family and friends. Unfortunately, I've gleaned that CUSM is not a highly-praised school. I'm unsure how much of this is due solely to its novelty vs the school itself.
  • I'm wondering if going to CUSM over MCW and Creighton would be a mistake with regard to my happiness during medical school and my future career.
  • What are the downsides to CUSM?
  • Is CUSM on the same "tier" of schools as the other ones that I have been accepted into?

Regarding Creighton (Omaha) vs MCW, I've been leaning toward Creighton mostly because it's warmer. Are there any significant differences between these two schools that I should be aware of. For what it's worth, I'm leaning toward Emergency Medicine and am not any more passionate about research than the next guy.

Thank you very much in advance for any help. I really appreciate it!!

(I also got into WMed/Stryker and Hackensack, but I haven't been considering these options very seriously because I don't really want to live in NJ or MI. If there are significant pros to these schools that I'm not aware of I would love to hear about them too)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I'm having a really hard time picking between the above three schools.

Main problem: I'm from California and would love to stay in California both for the climate and proximity to family and friends. Unfortunately, I've gleaned that CUSM is not a highly-praised school. I'm unsure how much of this is due solely to its novelty vs the school itself.
  • I'm wondering if going to CUSM over MCW and Creighton would be a mistake with regard to my happiness during medical school and my future career.
  • What are the downsides to CUSM?
  • Is CUSM on the same "tier" of schools as the other ones that I have been accepted into?

Regarding Creighton (Omaha) vs MCW, I've been leaning toward Creighton mostly because it's warmer. Are there any significant differences between these two schools that I should be aware of. For what it's worth, I'm leaning toward Emergency Medicine and am not any more passionate about research than the next guy.

Thank you very much in advance for any help. I really appreciate it!!

(I also got into WMed/Stryker and Hackensack, but I haven't been considering these options very seriously because I don't really want to live in NJ or MI. If there are significant pros to these schools that I'm not aware of I would love to hear about them too)
FYI, Omaha and Milwaukee have pretty comparable winters.

MCW > Creighton >>> CUSM.

With that said, if you are leaning EM, and you’re pretty sure you don’t care to do a surgical subspecialty or derm, then stay close to fam and go to CUSM. You will match into EM very easily from CUSM, and you may even have a better chance at matching into a CA residency program due to regional biases.