Creighton (Phoenix) vs CUSM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dahlias

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm having a hard time picking these two schools.

Creighton (Phoenix)
Pros:
- Students seemed really happy here and had positive things to say about the faculty and school

Cons:
- Few home residencies
- H/P/F preclinical grading
- More expensive (about 15K a year more)

CUSM:
Pros:
- In CA, closer to home (I am from California)
Cons:
- Very new school, not much of a reputation.
- Although very CA focused match, match list is the weakest

Thank you very much in advance for any help. I really appreciate it!!

Members don't see this ad.

What is the grading scheme at CUSM? How important is being near family to you, and how close exactly is CUSM to home?

What is the grading scheme at CUSM? How important is being near family to you, and how close exactly is CUSM to home?
I believe it is letter graded, CUSM is 2 hours away from home, compared to 6 hours away with Creighton ( not too big of a deal)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that creighton is the better choice because it is more established.

Creighton students have been able to do rotations in phoenix for a while. Having students in phoenix for all 4 years is relatively new though yeah. Creighton phoenix is actually only missing home residences in a few of the super competitive specialties (derm, plastics, etc.) so if you are potentially interested in any of those I’d go to CUSM assuming that they have those.

Creighton students have been able to do rotations in phoenix for a while. Having students in phoenix for all 4 years is relatively new though yeah. Creighton phoenix is actually only missing home residences in a few of the super competitive specialties (derm, plastics, etc.) so if you are potentially interested in any of those I’d go to CUSM assuming that they have those.
I am for now interested in pediatric but don't know for sure if I feel the same way 4 years from now.