Currently in the navy, help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poseidon0216

Reaction score
I am an officer in the navy currently and I am leaning towards going to med school after my commitment is up. I have a bachelors in biology focused in animal sciences because I did my bachelors to apply to vet school originally but here I am. I practically have all the pre reqs done, and if I dont its something I can knock out easily but with a family i would like to go to med school the HSCP route and continue to get paid by the military.

My question is does anyone have any experience with programs about applying for the HSCP while still in the navy as an officer? Do i have to finish my commitment currently (I am a pilot) before applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you want to do HSCP? If you have no issue with the longer commitment, USUHS will pay you save pay. Youll take a big hit in pay going HSCP. You’d be paid as like an E-7. They also limit seats for officers as it is primarily meant for civilian accessions. And you have to pay tuition. They just pay you as active duty.

Why do you want to do HSCP? If you have no issue with the longer commitment, USUHS will pay you save pay. Youll take a big hit in pay going HSCP. You’d be paid as like an E-7. They also limit seats for officers as it is primarily meant for civilian accessions. And you have to pay tuition. They just pay you as active duty.
I got my acronyms mixed up thats exactly what I meant the USUHS. Do you know of any programs already in the navy for easy transferring?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my acronyms mixed up thats exactly what I meant the USUHS. Do you know of any programs already in the navy for easy transferring?

That's a pretty big mix up, you sure you've done your homework?! Why not veterinary school?

We all practice veterinary medicine anyway . . .some of us are just more honest about it.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I am an officer in the navy currently and I am leaning towards going to med school after my commitment is up. I have a bachelors in biology focused in animal sciences because I did my bachelors to apply to vet school originally but here I am. I practically have all the pre reqs done, and if I dont its something I can knock out easily but with a family i would like to go to med school the HSCP route and continue to get paid by the military.

My question is does anyone have any experience with programs about applying for the HSCP while still in the navy as an officer? Do i have to finish my commitment currently (I am a pilot) before applying?
If you are being honest and not trolling . . .

Where are you in the med school applications process? How long ago did you finish undergrad? How well did you do overall and in your sciences? When you say you did "everything" for pre-vet, and are thus also prequalified for pre-med, how ready are you right now to take the MCATS if you have not already taken them? Picking a military school support program comes after your acceptance, even to USUHS. So exactly where are you in the process?

Picking a military school support program comes after your acceptance, even to USUHS. So exactly where are you in the process?
This is not true for the Navy or USUHS. USUHS IS the military support program, and you can absolutely apply to Navy HPSP before you’re accepted to medical school. You can even get the scholarship first.

That’s a huge mixup. You might want to make sure you know what you’re getting yourself into. There are no programs for officers to easily transition. You just apply like any other active duty applicant. You need buy in from your command and community to release you, or you’ll have to wait until you get out and apply as a civilian.

Reactions: 1 user
This is not true for the Navy or USUHS. USUHS IS the military support program, and you can absolutely apply to Navy HPSP before you’re accepted to medical school. You can even get the scholarship first.
You don't actually "get" the scholarship until you have the acceptance. I realize the Navy and other services have offered provisional acceptances in recent years, they're desperate, to be honest, but everything obviously hangs on the letter of acceptance. USUHS still requires you to be a completed applicant, courses finished, application and MCATS done and, of course additionally and uniquely be able to demonstrate eligibility to have a military commission. The OP is already commissioned; I should have drawn that distinction. As this thread goes, the OP really can't start the process at USUHS until he has done what he would normally be expected to do as an applicant anywhere else.

You don't actually "get" the scholarship until you have the acceptance. I realize the Navy and other services have offered provisional acceptances in recent years, they're desperate, to be honest, but everything obviously hangs on the letter of acceptance. USUHS still requires you to be a completed applicant, courses finished, application and MCATS done and, of course additionally and uniquely be able to demonstrate eligibility to have a military commission. The OP is already commissioned; I should have drawn that distinction. As this thread goes, the OP really can't start the process at USUHS until he has done what he would normally be expected to do as an applicant anywhere else.
I am a USUHS student who applied while on active duty and got an HPSP scholarship during the application process that I turned down to go to USUHS. I’m familiar with the process lol. And yes, while technically you can’t get the scholarship benefits without being accepted to and enrolled into a medical school (cause duh), you can get a provisional acceptance that is guaranteed conditional upon being accepted. That’s what happened with several of my friends who applied with me.

USUHS requires what any other medical school requires with the addition of the commissioning stuff. But other than the dodmerb crap, the process is basically the same even if you’re on active duty. You just have to have a conditional letter of release which can be a huge pain in the ass to get on time if you don’t start early. But you can apply before getting it.

Go HPSP if you can. Those extra years you accrue while at USUHS don’t seem like much but if you pick the wrong residency you could be obligating yourself to a very long time without the benefit of some extra pay and leverage with the detailer.

Go HPSP if you can. Those extra years you accrue while at USUHS don’t seem like much but if you pick the wrong residency you could be obligating yourself to a very long time without the benefit of some extra pay and leverage with the detailer.
The main reason i was considering USUHS is because I have a family and going down to 25% of my current pay would be tough to do.

I'm not sure if save pay applies to USUHS.

Do you know if save pay applies to HSCP?
That way I can continue banking on my O3 pay and accruing military service years correct? I would just pay for tuition but i can find a public school and use my GI bill.
I don’t believe save pay applies to HSCP. Found an article on white coat investor claiming you could get paid as an e7 over 2 instead of an e6 over 2 if you are a prior officer but I don’t know if that still applies. I’d defer to someone with experience with that program.

Edit: And I know it’s not the question you asked but HPSP you’d only get save pay when on active duty training time but not for the majority of the year.

Last edited:
Unless it’s changed, prior officers on HSCP will get E7 pay for the amount of years you have in