Currently doing residency in a state that doesn't recognize my med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SqEdSaint

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
So I am one and a half month into residency and i just found out that my med school isn't on the list of approved medical school of this state's medical board. My question is, is this possible? I have received training permit by the same medical board, and it is counterintuitive to me that i can train in a state where i will not be allowed to practice as an attending. Anyone know anything about this?
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi
So I am one and a half month into residency and i just found out that my med school isn't on the list of approved medical school of this state's medical board. My question is, is this possible? I have received training permit by the same medical board, and it is counterintuitive to me that i can train in a state where i will not be allowed to practice as an attending. Anyone know anything about this?
Thanks in advance.
texas? yes, its possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Wait what!? Could someone explain this because I attend a newer school.

Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 2 users
As a resident, you are under the supervision of an attending physician who does meet the criteria for licensure in the state, so there's really no loophole or crack-slipping. If you're planning to settle down and stay in the area where you train, and you don't come from a US MD school, it's worth looking into where your school is accepted before ranking programs - too late for OP, but worth considering for others who may come across this thread.

So I am a bit paranoid about this. Should I bring this up with my program (i don't see the point in doing so), but what guarantees do I have that other states will recognize my residency training (it is an ACGME program) when I apply for their state license?

So I am a bit paranoid about this. Should I bring this up with my program (i don't see the point in doing so), but what guarantees do I have that other states will recognize my residency training (it is an ACGME program) when I apply for their state license?
The discussion here is not about residency programs, but about medical schools. All ACGME and AOA accredited residency programs are just fine for the entire country.

In addition, the vast majority of legitimate medical schools in the world are recognized by all 50 states. There do exist some shady schools in various third world countries that are not legitimate though, so people who got their MD/MBBS/whatever from those schools might end up having trouble in certain states.

The discussion here is not about residency programs, but about medical schools. All ACGME and AOA accredited residency programs are just fine for the entire country.
Good point, thanks. And my med school is on California's list.