Current UNC dental students! Help! Odds of getting into UNC Class of 2020?

Do I have a shot at getting into UNC?

• Total voters

Possum737

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance for this very long post. I also apologize in advance if any of you guys feel that my question has already been answered elsewhere. I have read all relevant posts and I still feel that I need help gauging my odds. I would GREATLY appreciate it if any current or recently graduated UNC dental students could help me out (or UNC admissions personnel if there are any around). My case is not the typical case of someone that is too low in all areas or the case of the person that is almost guaranteed acceptance. I am slightly below average in some places and slightly above in others. So here's my story:

I am an in-state applicant however my application was sent in pretty late (supplemental submitted Oct. 3rd). I did my undergraduate at Wake Forest. I have a major in biology and a double minor in chemistry and studio art. My Inc+- BCP GPA is 3.42. W/o +- BCP is 3.44. My Inc +- science is 3.33 and W/o is 3.35. My non-science Inc +- is 3.49. Non-science W/o is 3.48. Total is 3.40 for Inc and W/o but on my diploma and final transcript I graduated with honors at a total GPA of 3.49. Although my GPA is not the best, Wake has a reputation of extreme grade deflation (but I doubt the admissions committee knows this) and I have a very strong upward trend. I received a 3.81 for my second semester of my junior year and 4.00 for all semesters following that one (including four summer semesters). I think I also showed dedication toward improving my GPA by retaking two classes I did very poorly in. I know UNC's average accepted GPA is 3.5-3.6 so I am slightly below their average.

As for my DAT, I received a 21 AA, 21 TS, (21 Bio, 20 GC, 21 OC), 23 PAT, 24 RC, and 19 QR. :dead:
I think this score is fairly good but maybe not quite enough for a late applicant at UNC considering their average DAT score is right at a 21 for all accepted applicants, early or late. But I must add that I made this score with only one month of preparation and without spending money on any outside resources except BootCamp and an outdated version of Kaplan Blue Book (less than $120 total where as my counterparts that received the same or slightly higher scores spent an average of $400+ and prepared for longer). I know the admissions committee has no way of knowing about my cut-rate study program; however I will certainly tell them if they ask about my DAT performance assuming I get an interview.

As for shadowing, my AADSAS application has me at 56 total shadowing hours at the date of submission (under general, perio and ortho) however I will be well above 120 hours and will have seen all specialties by the time a possible interview would roll around. As for volunteering, I am a bit of a philanthropist coming in right at 200 hours on my AADSAS and that number continues to climb. I mostly volunteer as a coach for an anatomy-based quiz bowl team with my local 4-H club. That constitutes over 120 of my hours. The rest is with therapeutic riding groups, student organizations and about 18 hours with NC MOM.

If I get an interview, I plan to let them know that I am VERY interested in research. I completed 3 semesters of undergraduate research in evolution using microorganisms plus 2 summer semesters. I only received credit for one semester of research and the rest is written as volunteer research on the AADSAS. I have considered not joining a practice when I graduate dental school and instead focusing on dental research as a career. I also plan to mention that I am very interested in teaching as well, having tutored and taught anatomy to younger (and sometimes even same-age) individuals since high school. UNC has the amazing option for their dentists to practice, research and teach all at the same time so this school would be ideal for me. I also plan to mention that I am from a rural town in NC and I am the first person in my family to graduate from a 4-year college. I can post my personal statement and supplemental answers if anyone would like to see them but I believe I have already given more information than anyone will ever need. :laugh:

Here's one more additional question: assuming I get an interview at UNC, how should I handle talking about the classes I had to retake? In all honesty, my grades in these classes were not my fault. Both professors were visiting assistant professors who couldn't teach worth a penny and both were let go shortly after I had them. One particular professor was let go because he failed over half of our class and we STILL all bombed the standardized ACS final so we know it wasn't our fault. Similar story for the other professor as well. But I feel that blaming it entirely on these professors might make me seem as though I can't take responsibility for my failings. How should I handle discussing this situation?

I know this is a lot and I apologize but I love UNC and I wanted to give as much info as possible so you guys could accurately gauge my chances of receiving an interview and getting accepted (especially given my late application). I read somewhere that over half of UNC's entering class are reapplicants so that automatically eliminates half of the available seats because I am a first-time applicant. Plus I'm late so I'm down to only 25% of seats left available or less (and that's not counting the fact that some seats are reserved for out-of-state and minorities, of which I am neither). I cannot afford to waste another year out of school so if I do not get accepted to UNC this year, I will take an offer from another school. If you do believe that I will get an interview, please give me any and all tips for wowing the admissions committee that you can think of! I greatly appreciate your help and I hope I didn't bog you guys down with too much information.

Members don't see this ad.

You got to apply more schools, do not put all hope to one school. Especially do not put all expectation to a public school with an average stats. It is hard to get into public school, especially public school like UNC - whose tuition is cheaper. If you want to apply public school with average stats, you should apply at June 2. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.