Current third year, trying to decide where to do aways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

urologym8

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Midwest third year here, decent home school but not top 20. I have a home urology program that I'll be doing an AI with, but i'm also currently Trying to decide where I should be shooting for for my away rotations. Right now I'm mostly just having some trouble gauging my level of competitiveness.

Stats:
Step 1: 266
Mix of honors and high pass on rotations so far, haven't done surgery yet
Likely won't be AOA

4 urology specific publications, only first author on one of them

Will likely get a strong home letter of rec

I would like to stay in the midwest, am I competitive enough for big names (Michigan), or would I be better suited using my always for more middle tier programs?

Thanks a lot everyone

Members don't see this ad.

In general your best chances are at places that know you. Your Step score is very strong. Grades seem good. Publications are good.

The biggest factor influencing your ability to match a super strong program is probably your personality. I can't tell you how likely you are to be competitive at those types of places without meeting you. I would think you would get good, honest feedback from your home program director and residents who have worked with you.

Regarding where to do your aways, you also have to consider where you might want to be. If you stay in the midwest for aways, you probably won't get a lot of attention from the west coast or south, since there are a lot of applicants from those areas who are more likely to stay in those areas and you won't demonstrate the willingness to move far away if you don't do aways out there. If you get yourself around other areas of the country, that can open doors for you.

Hard to give more specific recommendations without further info, but in general your academic/research performance seems adequate to go to a good program.