Current student - F30 questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aaugh

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Definitely not an expert on this since I just received my score this cycle as well, but I’ve heard from my mentors occasionally the NIH might fund apps above the payline if the app is a resubmission (since this is the “last chance”), particularly if it is a project in need or other similar situation.

And hope you don’t mind if I piggyback off of your question, but...does anyone know how “safe” you should feel if your percentile score was modestly below the payline, as in modestly better? Like...hypothetically if my score was 25 percentile and the payline last year was 30 percentile with the PO saying they plan to fund down to the same payline this year as well (assuming all the funding factors stay the same), should I feel “reasonably optimistic?” This is my initial submission and don’t mind resubmitting that much, but just curious if I should break out the wine...

First, congratulations on getting a competitive score from study section. This is part of what your future career is likely to have (cycles of disappointment, some of delay gratification, and some exhilarating)... I suggest that you call your program officer. Percentile and Impact score (IS) are not the same, and paylines might change year to year. An IS of 27 might still get funded in some institutes (NIEHS). Some years institutes also have extra money for F30 training, and they fund borderline applications that are unable to fund in other years. If you already have your reviews and some of the comments are truly off-based from things that were written in the grant (not new information), you might request to your PO to be allowed a one-page rebuttal for NHBLI council. NIEHS might be picking up your grant if funding, is unlikely by NHBLI. It is a smaller institute but they fund some F30s.

First, congratulations on getting a competitive score from study section. This is part of what your future career is likely to have (cycles of disappointment, some of delay gratification, and some exhilarating)... I suggest that you call your program officer. Percentile and Impact score (IS) are not the same, and paylines might change year to year. An IS of 27 might still get funded in some institutes (NIEHS). Some years institutes also have extra money for F30 training, and they fund borderline applications that are unable to fund in other years. If you already have your reviews and some of the comments are truly off-based from things that were written in the grant (not new information), you might request to your PO to be allowed a one-page rebuttal for NHBLI council. NIEHS might be picking up your grant if funding, is unlikely by NHBLI. It is a smaller institute but they fund some F30s.
Thanks for the input! I will definitely contact the PO. And so we wait for my summary statement... :xf: