Current RN looking to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sena

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This isn't too detailed, but just looking at chances and suggestions.

Current RN, male, 24 years old working in Emergency and Cardiac.

cGPA around 3.5-3.6, sGPA about 3.5-3.6, but I still have to do Chem, Ochem, Physics, Trig etc. Looking to apply in about 2-3 years.

EC's and such are:
Graduated Cum Laude from 2 year school
Jr. High Student Body Officer
Volunteered for a year in a Jr. High Special Education classroom in High School
Currently an RN in the ER and Cardiac Unit
Tennis and Wrestling in High School
Health Occupation Students of America - Placed 1st in career display competition
Vice President of Class in LPN/LVN school
Little League Baseball Coach for a Season
Teach a Career Day at a local junior high a couple days a year

I can easily shadow a DO or MD, I just am not sure when is best to start.

Any info is appreciated. Where am I weak, Where am I strong? I know the MCAT will play a huge role and I haven't done it yet, due to not having taken the basic sciences. Where am I lacking? What are your suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

This isn't too detailed, but just looking at chances and suggestions.

Current RN, male, 24 years old working in Emergency and Cardiac.

cGPA around 3.5-3.6, sGPA about 3.5-3.6, but I still have to do Chem, Ochem, Physics, Trig etc. Looking to apply in about 2-3 years.

EC's and such are:
Graduated Cum Laude from 2 year school
Jr. High Student Body Officer
Volunteered for a year in a Jr. High Special Education classroom in High School
Currently an RN in the ER and Cardiac Unit
Tennis and Wrestling in High School
Health Occupation Students of America - Placed 1st in career display competition
Vice President of Class in LPN/LVN school
Little League Baseball Coach for a Season
Teach a Career Day at a local junior high a couple days a year

I can easily shadow a DO or MD, I just am not sure when is best to start.

Any info is appreciated. Where am I weak, Where am I strong? I know the MCAT will play a huge role and I haven't done it yet, due to not having taken the basic sciences. Where am I lacking? What are your suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Well, go ahead and cross off anything you did in or before high school and didn't continue doing into college. Medical schools don't want you to list that since it is just fluff.

Start shadowing a doctor to find out if being a doctor is what you want to do. Try to get at least 50 hours in before you apply. Also, do you have a BS in nursing? Many schools require a BA or a BS in order to matriculate.

You will also have to come up with reasons why being a RN is not what you want to do, despite going to school to do it.

Also start to do some long term volunteering. You will want those numbers to be high before you apply.

You probably don't need to do research, but keep up with your job as an RN. Keep in mind the number of hours worked can be counted as clinical experience.

Jr. High Student Body Officer! You're Golden!