Current Nova Students-have a q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osteopeddoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Three questions. I just got an order form for scrubs and white coat-Do you have to buy the white coat with nova emblem on it? Also, do you have to buy the scrubs from that company..I was thinking about sewing my own. And finally, do we have to buy the supply kit, or is this something that can be found cheaper else where?Thanks for the answers!

Members don't see this ad.

yes you have to buy the white coat from the company they recommend. you do not have to buy the scrubs from the company they recommend. you can bring your own if you like. i don't know what supply kit you're referring to but if you mean the medical equipment for clinical practicum you can probably find things cheaper on the internet if you look around.

MOZ D.O.

....I think he might be talking about the dissection kits (if I remember correctly).....and if thats the case I would reccomend buying them. You will definitely be using it for anatomy and its relatively inexpensive. Its also another thing to get out of the way before classes get underway....

In regards to your Clinical Practicum equipment, you will probably have an afternoon where Welch-Allyn comes in and demonstrates everything for you (a sort of "one-stop" shopping) and I would reccomend you wait until then to buy up.

Let us know if you have any more Qs.

care

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're trying to save money... realize that you will be shelling out lots and lots of $ in medical school, ESPECIALLY your first and fourth year (just wait until fourth year, oh man!).

You'll be joining clubs (membership fee)
Buying equipment ($$$$)
Going out on the town to meet your new classmates ($$)
Buying books ($$$)

A few bucks here and there aren't going to matter... if you can pilfer scrubs from any hospitals you work at or volunteer at now, do it... but in reality you'll only need 3-4 pairs of scrubs (but will have to wash them every week). Perhaps even ordering online might be cheapest, or find a medical uniforms store in your hometown, they might be cheap too.

Q

I got a few questions for you NSUCOM vets...

I got a histo atlas and book, embryo book, immuno book, physio book...so I think I will be saving money since I already have those books from undergrad...but I didn't buy any anatomy texts yet...does the library(s) at Nova have anatomy texts to borrow or atlases to borrow and check out...or is it necessary for me to buy Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy and Netter's Atlas(I used these for my anatomy class in undergrad but I borrowed them)??

Also in regards to the osteopathic rotating internship in the state of Florida. What does that mean exactly? Does that mean that only those DO grads who want to practice in Florida have to do the internship? Or does that mean that DO grads from NOVA who practice anywhere have to do that internship? Also, they don't pay you during that internship right? If anyone could bear some light on this internship(i know its premature)...it would be greatly appreciated. I am coming from chicago, IL and didn't know that FL had this internship when I chose NOVA. Let me know what it is and the ways around it, if at all...

Thanks,

$ Mani:cool: $
NSUCOM Class of 2007

the library has multiple copies of netter's available for reference use but i don't know if they allow you to check it out. i believe amsa used to give free atlases out when you joined their club but i don't know if they still do that. your best bet is to buy your own as you'll use it a lot for anatomy.

by the way if you're interested in a dissection kit, mine is available for very cheap and in excellent condition.

about the internship, there are 5 states that require the AOA internship for licensure: FL, MI, OK, PA, WV. all DO's that want to practice in these states must have satisfied this requirement in order to receive licensure. you can get credit if you do an allopathic residency without doing the internship but there are certain criteria you must meet and no guarantees that your request will be approved. all internships are paid, usually 35K is average from what i've seen posted. be aware that there are different types of internships besides the rotating internships which you'll learn about once school starts. hope this helps.

MOZ D.O.

Thanks-yeah, I think it was the dissection kit they were selling. Guess I gotta pop for the white coats. Cant wait for my financial aid to start rolling in the dough.

Q-
I hope your not suggesting, that people steal or as you like to put it - "pilfer scrubs," that would be unethical!
AK <-- I heard you like that, that's hot!

Hello,

As far as Nova, and buying stuff...WAIT!!!

You have to order and pay for the white coats ahead of time, most of our class ordered 2-3 sizes larger than normal (I wear a 12 and so I ordered a 20). Most people found this sizing to be good.

The SOSA scrubs were disappointing for most people-they are only sold in same size sets and the pants are tapered (not the most comfortable either). I would wait until you get here, the uniform store that does the coats sells scrubs and has lots of sales right at the beginning of the semester (August), so most of us bought scrubs then (and you can try them on and buy separates so they're much more comfortable).

As far as books, hold off, alot of people sell their books, and we (the future M2s) will probably be having a book sale during the first few weeks of class. I only bought one or two books last semester and one book this semester. THere are PLENTY of books on reserve at the HPD library (that you can check out and look at in the library). Most people did not buy books. AMSA does give away Free Netter's atlases during club week if you sign up with them, they are a pretty active club so it's worth it to join.

Um, other than that, Welch-Allyn will have an equipment sale during orientation or the first week of class, most people got their equipment then, you don't need it before then. They have pretty good deals, you can't find too much better on the internet.

Other than that, just relax, enjoy the rest of your time off, we look forward to meeting your class! See you soon! :D

.....I like the SOSA scrubs (Navy blue is my favorite) but thats a matter of opinion I guess....

In regards to buying books - YOU WLL NEED your OWN anatomy atlas. Probably almost 95% of the people have one and trust me, you WILL be using it both in lab and out of lab (for more hours than you want to!). I bought Netter's and Rohen's. The are both great. One has very detailed sketches (very very detailed) and is a standard for many places. Rohen's takes photographs of it all and presents it that way. I preferred seeing it both diagramatically in Netter's and "in the flesh" via Rohen's, however, its up to your learning style I guess. All I want to stress is that you should get your own atlas and not have to worry about borrowing one from a friend or the library, etc. etc.

care

congrats on your residency!