Question for current ACOM Medical Students or Graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GAMING4FUNN

Reaction score
Does ACOM require students to sit for practice COMLEX exam prior to taking the real COMLEX?

If so, is this one exam or a series of exams given throughout the first 2 years at ACOM?

Lastly, if students fail these exams, are they witheld from taking the real COMLEX or are they simply cautioned from taking the COMLEX at their own discretion?

Members don't see this ad.

Does ACOM require students to sit for practice COMLEX exam prior to taking the real COMLEX?

If so, is this one exam or a series of exams given throughout the first 2 years at ACOM?

Lastly, if students fail these exams, are they witheld from taking the real COMLEX or are they simply cautioned from taking the COMLEX at their own discretion?
yes, they make you take practice exams. I know it's multiple but @Real McCoy probably knows how many. If they get under a certain score on the in-house exam then the student has to attend a mandatory board prep course (paid by that student) during their dedicated board prep. I do not believe they can force you to not take the exam but they will encourage you to postpone if you are not ready.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
ACOM has students take 3 separate COMSAE exams at the end of year 2 during an in-house board review course. Students must score 450+ on at least one of the three exams before being allowed to sit for COMLEX. As mentioned previously, students must attend an external board review course at their own expense prior to sitting for COMLEX if they are unable to achieve the cut score.

ACOM has students take 3 separate COMSAE exams at the end of year 2 during an in-house board review course. Students must score 450+ on at least one of the three exams before being allowed to sit for COMLEX. As mentioned previously, students must attend an external board review course at their own expense prior to sitting for COMLEX if they are unable to achieve the cut score.

How representative do you feel the COMSAE is compared to COMLEX? Or what have you heard in regard to comparability?

On average, a score on COMSAE should be treated as though you will score 50 points lower on COMLEX. Not a hard and fast rule, but that appears to be the trend.

3 different comases ?? or 2 combanks+ 1 Comsae? That’s how it’s at my school... if you don’t get a 450 then you have to retake the comsae

On average, a score on COMSAE should be treated as though you will score 50 points lower on COMLEX. Not a hard and fast rule, but that appears to be the trend.
Lol what? The new Comsaes are garbage and consistently underpredict

Reactions: 1 users
Actually, what I've heard and noticed (myself included) is the exact opposite. You will score higher on COMLEX than your COMSAEs.

Actually, what I've heard and noticed (myself included) is the exact opposite. You will score higher on COMLEX than your COMSAEs.
You are correct as there should be a few more weeks of preparation time before taking the COMLEX after having taken the COMSAEs. I should have elaborated on my statement. Without additional prep time following COMSAE, COMLEX scores tend to be lower.

I’m sure they have changed it because we took 4 comsaes; one after each semester. They said we couldn’t take it if we didn’t pass the last one with 450 but they already gave us tokens way before so they couldn’t stop us. I would not recommend anyone does that though. Those that went ahead and took it anyways failed a lot of the time

i can second this our school (not ACOM) told us comsae will underpredict your COMLEX score by 50 so that you will score lower on COMSAE vs the real exam

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m sure they have changed it because we took 4 comsaes; one after each semester. They said we couldn’t take it if we didn’t pass the last one with 450 but they already gave us tokens way before so they couldn’t stop us. I would not recommend anyone does that though. Those that went ahead and took it anyways failed a lot of the time
yeah pretty sure we dont take comsaes till dedicated now. certainly not after every semester

yeah pretty sure we dont take comsaes till dedicated now. certainly not after every semester

Good it was a waste of ****ing time. Especially after 1 when we only had anatomy and MM under our belts

I know we take at least 1 end of year 1 and another end of 1st half of year 2 and then 1 for dedicated... that was from a dean like 2 months ago

Just for reference: I took COMSAE 103b and got a 450 and took COMLEX two days later and got mid 500s. It wasnt similar at all

I know we take at least 1 end of year 1 and another end of 1st half of year 2 and then 1 for dedicated... that was from a dean like 2 months ago
i honestly dont remember that, but i guess

i honestly dont remember that, but i guess

I’d change your avatar. Anonymity is key here. Especially as you get further along and are here just to complain

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
They made the first two optional (the ones after first and second semester first year). You need to take one at the end of 1st semester second year and another in May before boards. If you score 450+ on the one in May you can take COMLEX. Afaik you get 2 shots to get that score.

They made the first two optional (the ones after first and second semester first year). You need to take one at the end of 1st semester second year and another in May before boards. If you score 450+ on the one in May you can take COMLEX. Afaik you get 2 shots to get that score.

Are they finally starting to encourage the USMLE?

They bought everyone UWORLD (at the cost of no longer paying for COMLEX) and the career development/board prep faculty tell us to take Step as long as we can pass comfortably. We've also been told COMLEX alone is sufficient for FM, peds and community IM which I don't disagree with.

So I guess, yes?

They bought everyone UWORLD (at the cost of no longer paying for COMLEX) and the career development/board prep faculty tell us to take Step as long as we can pass comfortably. We've also been told COMLEX alone is sufficient for FM, peds and community IM which I don't disagree with.

So I guess, yes?

That’s ridiculous about the UW because its way cheaper than level 1. That’s good they are encouraging it. They told my class not to and that residencies will accept comlex in place of usmle

i can second this our school (not ACOM) told us comsae will underpredict your COMLEX score by 50 so that you will score lower on COMSAE vs the real exam
That is encouraging if that trend holds. Scoring a 450 on COMSAE and following that up with a 500 on COMLEX (or an appropriate positive 50 point shift from COMSAE score) should be a win in any student's book.