Current Navy Scholar here to Answer questions (HPSP & HSCP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InagStudentCICOM

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a current Navy Collegiate Scholar (HSCP) here to answer any questions you have. I did extensive research into the HPSP as well and have many friends doing it, so I am well versed. I am also prior enlisted with the Army and with the Air Force, so I have lots of insights.

Best

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm a current Navy Collegiate Scholar (HSCP) here to answer any questions you have. I did extensive research into the HPSP as well and have many friends doing it, so I am well versed. I am also prior enlisted with the Army and with the Air Force, so I have lots of insights.

Best (HSCP) here to answer any questions you have. I did extensive research into the HPSP as well and have many friends doing it, so I am well versed. I am also prior enlisted with the Army and with the Air Force, so I have lots of insights.

Best
What is HSCP???

-army

What is HSCP???

-army
Health Services Collegiate Program. It is a really good option for prior enlisted folks.
In summary: They enlist you as an E-6 (Petty officer 1st class) with promotion to E-7 with referral (hi, let me refer you); so during your 4 years of schooling you get a full time pay check, tricare, and retirement benefits - all with a 4 year commitment. It really helps you get closer to retirement.

It is unique to the Navy.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there, AD Navy. Doing research in funding methods like HSCP, HPSP, and USUHS but not thinking of any serious commitment at the moment. Know anybody who did one program and regretted it over another?

Looks like you can use both a post 9/11 and HSCP at the same time, making it potentially more lucrative than HPSP with the benefit of time in service.

Did you have to jump through all of the medical screening hooplah again? I'll be in Japan next year and I think it will be hard enough getting time off for potential school interviews.

Health Services Collegiate Program. It is a really good option for prior enlisted folks.
In summary: They enlist you as an E-6 (Petty officer 1st class) with promotion to E-7 with referral (hi, let me refer you); so during your 4 years of schooling you get a full time pay check, tricare, and retirement benefits - all with a 4 year commitment. It really helps you get closer to retirement.

It is unique to the Navy.
Dang. That’s a fantastic deal

Hey there, AD Navy. Doing research in funding methods like HSCP, HPSP, and USUHS but not thinking of any serious commitment at the moment. Know anybody who did one program and regretted it over another?

Looks like you can use both a post 9/11 and HSCP at the same time, making it potentially more lucrative than HPSP with the benefit of time in service.

Did you have to jump through all of the medical screening hooplah again? I'll be in Japan next year and I think it will be hard enough getting time off for potential school interviews.

I was accepted to USUHS, and passed up the HPSP in favor of HSCP. I considered all the options you are looking at.
I met an individual that did HPSP, and really did not like his time in the military because he did it almost purely for financial reasons. USUHS - I met a lot of their alumni, and none of the spoke poorly about it but I heard second hand stories of people who had no prior service regretting it because they had no idea what they were getting into.

You can use the GI Bill, which makes it much more lucrative. But even without the GI Bill, I would HIGHLY considered it, especially if you get into a cheap in state school. Look into NYU - free tuition.

I was Air Force transferring to Navy, so yes I had to jump through the MEPS hoop again, and even resubmit by security clearance. Since you are already navy, I bet you can skip most of it.

It really is. I would recommend it over the Army's program any day. Plus you will have a better quality of life and better duty station locations. Navy GME is kind of a leader as well.

Hi,

Thanks for your service and taking the time to answer our questions. Is there a specific GPA needed to obtain HPSP? Is the program competitive?

Ps: I’m thinking of doing HPSP for the Army.

Thx again

Hi,

Best

My number 1 priority is to just get an acceptance right now, but I have met with my local army recruiter about HPSP and I've been seriously considering it. If I want to go into general surgery or some other type of surgical specialty, would this present a problem finding a military residency position? I've read that the army does not ever force you into a certain speciality but I wanted to make sure that's actually how it worked. I would really love to serve so the financial incentives are icing on the cake. Also, the reason I was considering the army more than the others is because I heard in the Navy you have to serve as a General Medical Officer which to my understanding is basically like doing simple physical exams (is this accurate?) which I would not want to do after going through 4 years of medical school and feeling like I'm ready to tackle something more complex. What are your thoughts?

does this work similarly to the armys where you have to get an acceptance first and then they will discuss getting into the program

Hi,

Thanks for your service and taking the time to answer our questions. Is there a specific GPA needed to obtain HPSP? Is the program competitive?

Ps: I’m thinking of doing HPSP for the Army.

Thx again

No specific GPA requirements, but it is slightly competitive. Not as bad as medical school, but not much easier. I'd say if you have a 3.5, you're good. I know I'm bias, but I'd recommend the Navy or Air Force over the army.

My number 1 priority is to just get an acceptance right now, but I have met with my local army recruiter about HPSP and I've been seriously considering it. If I want to go into general surgery or some other type of surgical specialty, would this present a problem finding a military residency position? I've read that the army does not ever force you into a certain speciality but I wanted to make sure that's actually how it worked. I would really love to serve so the financial incentives are icing on the cake. Also, the reason I was considering the army more than the others is because I heard in the Navy you have to serve as a General Medical Officer which to my understanding is basically like doing simple physical exams (is this accurate?) which I would not want to do after going through 4 years of medical school and feeling like I'm ready to tackle something more complex. What are your thoughts?

1. Residency options in military: Very similar to civilian side, only a handful of specialties don't exist such as PM&R, so surgery should be NO problem. Ortho is especially nice in the military - lots of unique cases, breaks, injuries, etc. *Caveat* while they try their best not to "force" you into a speciality, at the end of the day you are in the military and you can ultimately end up doing something you don't like; albeit very rare.

2. Navy GMO tour: These are common because the navy tends to be slightly more competitive. A GMO tour is like a year of being a PCP, with some cool military training sprinkled in. It is actually a very beneficial year, you'll learn a lot, get exposed to a lot the military has to offer that you otherwise will NEVER get a chance to again such as go to dive school, flight school, etc. However, if you have prior military experience or you are a generally competitive applicant you can go right through residency. I hear GMO is a good mental break between med school and residency.

does this work similarly to the armys where you have to get an acceptance first and then they will discuss getting into the program

The Army or Navy DOES NOT require an acceptance before getting into the program. The recruiter you are dealing with is blowing smoke because he/she does not want to deal with you. I had an Air Force recruiter say the same thing to me because my MCAT wasn't the best and he didn't think I had a good chance and didn't want to deal with me.

TLDR: The Navy doesn't require an acceptance first, but it helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Residency options in military: Very similar to civilian side, only a handful of specialties don't exist such as PM&R, so surgery should be NO problem. Ortho is especially nice in the military - lots of unique cases, breaks, injuries, etc. *Caveat* while they try their best not to "force" you into a speciality, at the end of the day you are in the military and you can ultimately end up doing something you don't like; albeit very rare.

FYI, the military match system is changing for the Navy starting this year. You no longer rank individual programs for a specialty, but are required to rank two specialties: a primary specialty and preferred location, and a secondary specialty. You could be placed into either.

2. Navy GMO tour: These are common because the navy tends to be slightly more competitive. A GMO tour is like a year of being a PCP, with some cool military training sprinkled in. It is actually a very beneficial year, you'll learn a lot, get exposed to a lot the military has to offer that you otherwise will NEVER get a chance to again such as go to dive school, flight school, etc. However, if you have prior military experience or you are a generally competitive applicant you can go right through residency. I hear GMO is a good mental break between med school and residency.

Just FYI, the length of your GMO tour is variable and may not be one year. Especially if you do FS or UMO, which are 3 years tours.

The Army may not force you into a specialty, but they still have GMO tours even if they say they don't. They also have Battalion Surgeon tours, which are essentially the same thing. The difference is that they have BC physicians do BS tours. The Navy will send you GMO between PGY-1 and PGY-2 if you don't match straight through, but you generally don't have to worry about doing a GMO tour once you've completed residency. They're just different beasts. More people go straight through in the Army, but it's a very real possibility that you'll do a BS tour at some point. In the Navy, you're likely to do a GMO tour if you want a competitive specialty or they aren't send a ton of people straight through in your year (it varies year to year), but you don't have to worry about doing them once you finish residency.

A GMO is essentially a PCP for an operation unit. It's primary care for extremely healthy individuals. The stuff we typically saw on a small boat is probably fairly representative of the stuff seen at larger units (we don't have MDs or DOs on small ships). It's mostly URIs, VGE, MSK complaints, maintaining medical readiness, etc. It's not very difficult medicine, but there are definitely bigger things that come through once in a while. We've had a few cancer diagnoses, some trauma, a Sailor who coded in the hallway after getting shocked by a light fixture, etc. That stuff is few and far between though. Mostly you'll be seeing small stuff and doing a lot of administrative stuff. I'm sure after medical school and internship, it is probably pretty boring and frustrating from a purely physician perspective.

But ship life has other benefits that you may not get once you go through residency. You get to do and see some really awesome stuff on a warship. Personally, I think it's definitely worth doing that for 2 years. I'm not sure about FS or UMO, but I imagine they enjoy their experiences as well. You get out of it what you put into it.

Keep in mind that HSCP does not pay tuition. You are paid and have benefits, but you are responsible for paying your med school tuition. It's still a really cool program.

Edit: and as someone who is getting E-6 pay, it is pretty nice to get that while being a student.

Totally agree^
Hi,

Best

I'm currently active duty army and have started the HSCP application for medical school. How was the process of switching branches? Did your recruiter help or were you on your own?

FYI, the military match system is changing for the Navy starting this year. You no longer rank individual programs for a specialty, but are required to rank two specialties: a primary specialty and preferred location, and a secondary specialty. You could be placed into either.

Just FYI, the length of your GMO tour is variable and may not be one year. Especially if you do FS or UMO, which are 3 years tours.

Do you have a source or reference for Navy GME that talks about this and other specifics? I'm looking to read up on it, but I am having trouble finding this stuff.

I'm currently active duty army and have started the HSCP application for medical school. How was the process of switching branches? Did your recruiter help or were you on your own?

Switching branches can be tricky, I have done it twice. This most recent time trying to do HSCP, the Navy recruiter just gave me the paperwork to fill out, and I had to do all the grunt work. As needed my recruiter would reach out to my command to try and speed things up and answer questions. Overall it was fairly simple as long as your supervisors know who the signing authority is, which I imagine for the army is group level Colonel/General. Definitely stay on top of it.

If it's not too late man, you should try and throw my name in as a referral to your recruiter so I can get the E-7 promotion.

Thanks man! Any advice for preparing for a competitive speciality?

Nope. I’m not even close to that yet. I’ve heard that it is pretty similar to being competitive in the civilian world. Do well in school, do well on boards, do research, etc. And this is just me speculating, but since it isn’t a true match in the sense that it doesn’t use a computer algorithm but rather a panel, doing some ADTs in that field probably help a lot.

Switching branches can be tricky, I have done it twice. This most recent time trying to do HSCP, the Navy recruiter just gave me the paperwork to fill out, and I had to do all the grunt work. As needed my recruiter would reach out to my command to try and speed things up and answer questions. Overall it was fairly simple as long as your supervisors know who the signing authority is, which I imagine for the army is group level Colonel/General. Definitely stay on top of it.

If it's not too late man, you should try and throw my name in as a referral to your recruiter so I can get the E-7 promotion.

Absolutely. Send me your info on a private message.

As an Army veteran, I don't see any reason to choose the Army over the Navy for a healthcare field.

Reactions: 2 users
Is there an age cutoff for the HSCP?

Does the HSCP cover all loans or just medical school loans?

Does the HSCP cover all loans or just medical school loans?
HSCP doesn't actually cover tuition. It pays you E-6 pay and confers active duty benefits, as you are enlisted. You can advance to E-7 by referring someone. You're still on the hook for paying for med school. Only age requirement is that you can commission by 42 and be able to serve 20 by 62. But there are age waivers.

HSCP doesn't actually cover tuition. It pays you E-6 pay and confers active duty benefits, as you are enlisted. You can advance to E-7 by referring someone. You're still on the hook for paying for med school. Only age requirement is that you can commission by 42 and be able to serve 20 by 62. But there are age waivers.

What is E-6 and E-7 pay?

What is E-6 and E-7 pay?

Like the numbers? E-6 and E-7 are enlisted ranks.

Currently, for FY19, E-6 pay for <2 years is $2612.61 per month. You would also get BAH (housing allowance), which varies depending on your location and rank. For example, if you went to EVMS, it would be $1512 per month or $1659 per month with dependents. So that would be $4124.61 per month for a single E-6 Sailor.

Edit: not sure if HSCP students also get BAS. That’s another ~$350 per month.

Last edited:

Currently, for FY19, E-6 pay for <2 years is $2612.61 per month. You would also get BAH (housing allowance), which varies depending on your location and rank. For example, if you went to EVMS, it would be $1512 per month or $1659 per month with dependents. So that would be $4124.61 per month for a single E-6 Sailor.

Thanks.

HSCP does get BAS, BAH, and all other typical pays and benefits afforded to any other sailor.

HSCP does get BAS, BAH, and all other typical pays and benefits afforded to any other sailor.

I wasn't sure about BAS since there are certain allowances not given (e.g., clothing allowance), but it makes sense that you would. Thanks for the clarification.

Question about this from a USUHS perspective: How do the extra years in GMO translate vis-a-vis your 7 year ADO? Suppose you do GMO for 3 years, one of which is "internship," following which you match into a 3 year residency. Once the residency is finished, are you looking at 5 years remaining in your ADO, or am I missing something? Thanks for the info in advance.

Question about this from a USUHS perspective: How do the extra years in GMO translate vis-a-vis your 7 year ADO? Suppose you do GMO for 3 years, one of which is "internship," following which you match into a 3 year residency. Once the residency is finished, are you looking at 5 years remaining in your ADO, or am I missing something? Thanks for the info in advance.

So you accrue a year of commitment for each year of residency. Internship does not count as GMO time (as you are in a training status) and does not incur ADSO. In residency, you incur a year of ADSO for each year of residency, but it can be served concurrently with your USUHS commitment. So if you do a year of internship and then 2 years of GMO, you've knocked your commitment down to 5 years. Now you do 3 years of residency. You fulfill the 3 years of residency at the same time you fulfill the 5 years remaining from USUHS (you don't fulfill ADSO while in GME), so it ends up just being 5 additional years. If you do fellowship, it complicates things a bit since you cannot fulfill multiple GME obligations concurrently.

Thanks. That's what I figured. Can you explain any more about the more complex rule about how fellowship would impact ADO for a USUSH student? Seems to me it's training time, and does not go toward the ADO. So if one finishes a 3-year Flight Surgeon GMO tour, then residency, then fellowship, one is looking at 5 years of ADO remaining, because first year of GMO is "internship" and the fellowship time is "training". Is this correct? Thanks again.

Thanks. That's what I figured. Can you explain any more about the more complex rule about how fellowship would impact ADO for a USUSH student? Seems to me it's training time, and does not go toward the ADO. So if one finishes a 3-year Flight Surgeon GMO tour, then residency, then fellowship, one is looking at 5 years of ADO remaining, because first year of GMO is "internship" and the fellowship time is "training". Is this correct? Thanks again.

The first year of GMO is not internship. Internship is your PGY-1 year. Even at an active duty program, you are still in a training status. A 3-year FS tour includes like 6 months of training, but that 3 year tour is after your internship, not including it. Basically, if you do fellowship after residency, you cannot fulfill the ADSO from fellowship at the same time as your residency ADSO. So you'd have to fulfill the residency obligation first, then your fellowship ADSO (e.g., 2 year residency + 3 year fellowship = 5 year ADSO). If that is longer than your USUHS commitment, you will serve more than 7 years ADSO.

1 year internship doesn't add obligation or fulfill any. Then 3 years FS takes your USUHS obligation down to 4 years. Then you do 2 year residency and then get lucky and match directly into a 3 year fellowship. Now you have 5 years of GME obligation but only 4 years from USUHS left. So now you serve them concurrently and end up serving 5 years after fellowship. So in total that's 1 + 3 + 2 + 3 + 5 = 14 years after graduation before your ADSO is fulfilled assuming I did the math right lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all. I am applying to medical school and I am considering the HPSP scholarship.... not sure on which branch. I have always been intrigued with military life, and several family members of mine have loved their service to our county. I particularly like the comradery aspect. However, I am concerned with some of the military medicine aspects interrupting my career. For example, It would kill me to do several gmo tours or having to move several times during my commitment. If anyone can speak to the chances of either of these aspects of happening that would be great. Like how many students (%) do gmo tours in their career? How many are moved from base to base quite frequently? Any insight would be great.

Hello all. I am applying to medical school and I am considering the HPSP scholarship.... not sure on which branch. I have always been intrigued with military life, and several family members of mine have loved their service to our county. I particularly like the comradery aspect. However, I am concerned with some of the military medicine aspects interrupting my career. For example, It would kill me to do several gmo tours or having to move several times during my commitment. If anyone can speak to the chances of either of these aspects of happening that would be great. Like how many students (%) do gmo tours in their career? How many are moved from base to base quite frequently? Any insight would be great.

You can always put together a wishlist for military assignments, but sometimes it doesn't work out the way you plan. You might (unlikely) be able to homestead early on in your career and not move. You'll probably move for every step though:
  • Med school, 4yrs
  • PGY1, 1yr
  • GMO (Navy), ~2.5yrs
  • Residency, ~xyrs
  • Payback tour #1, ~2.5yrs
  • Payback tour #2, ~2.5yrs
Don't go this route if you're only in it for the money. Do go this route if you want to see/do cool stuff, move around the country and world, and be in the armed forces. It's less about you and your career and more about keeping your people healthy and fit for duty.

You can always put together a wishlist for military assignments, but sometimes it doesn't work out the way you plan. You might (unlikely) be able to homestead early on in your career and not move. You'll probably move for every step though:
  • Med school, 4yrs
  • PGY1, 1yr
  • GMO (Navy), ~2.5yrs
  • Residency, ~xyrs
  • Payback tour #1, ~2.5yrs
  • Payback tour #2, ~2.5yrs
Don't go this route if you're only in it for the money. Do go this route if you want to see/do cool stuff, move around the country and world, and be in the armed forces. It's less about you and your career and more about keeping your people healthy and fit for duty.
I’m not only interested in it for the money. It does help though because I am looking at 300K in loans without it, but I am looking to do and see cool things and serve my country. Before receiving a college athletic scholarship, my plan was to enlist in the military so joining up is something I’ve been considering for at least 8 years. Is the navy most likely to send a PG on a GMO tour? Also, is it possible to serve out your entire service commitment as a GMO, and then leave the military and enter a civilian residency? Just curious.

Pretty likely you'll go on a GMO tour for the navy unless you're a superstar or matching into whatever fields the service is looking for that year. You can do two GMO tours and get out, though you may be a more desirable residency candidate in the military because they don't have to pay you (the government does!)

Pretty likely you'll go on a GMO tour for the navy unless you're a superstar or matching into whatever fields the service is looking for that year. You can do two GMO tours and get out, though you may be a more desirable residency candidate in the military because they don't have to pay you (the government does!)
So are the army and AF less likely to send PGs on GMO tours?

Depends on your specialty of interest and the year you are applying. Some years, a lot of people go straight through. Others not so much. If you want any sort of competitive specialty, bank on a GMO.

Additionally, GMO tours are varied in length depending on what you do. The longer ones (2.5 years plus 6 months of training) are flight surgery and dive. The regular tours with the marines or a ship are 2 years.

So are the army and AF less likely to send PGs on GMO tours?

The Army and AF do fewer gmo tours. The Army has battalion/brigade surgeon tours post residency that are very similar to gmo tours and pull you away from your specialty for 3-4 years (not sure if the AF has that or not). The Navy does not. So you sort of have to pick your poison.

I’m not only interested in it for the money. It does help though because I am looking at 300K in loans without it, but I am looking to do and see cool things and serve my country. Before receiving a college athletic scholarship, my plan was to enlist in the military so joining up is something I’ve been considering for at least 8 years. Is the navy most likely to send a PG on a GMO tour? Also, is it possible to serve out your entire service commitment as a GMO, and then leave the military and enter a civilian residency? Just curious.

Plan for a GMO tour and plan to move every 2 or 3 years. If that is something you can handle then sign up. If not, don’t sign up. You don’t have to want to do a GMO tour, deploy or move often but you have to be able to mentally accept those things otherwise you’ll be miserable and regretful if it happens.

Also, do not pick a service based on potential or not for GMO tour. Many things can change and you never know.

If your only questions are how to have the lowest chance of a GMO tour and how to get out ASAP I would really re-evaluate why you are signing up.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Hi,

Best
So I know I’m a little late to the party but I saw this thread and had a few questions for you regarding HSCP. The question I have is regarding yearly medical evaluations (PHA’s) and the commissioning physical. While in HSCP do you have to have current/up to date commissioning physical at all times while in the program. And how do they handle medical PHA’s and the commissioning physical if you are not near a MTF?

Hi, I'm a current Navy Collegiate Scholar (HSCP) here to answer any questions you have. I did extensive research into the HPSP as well and have many friends doing it, so I am well versed. I am also prior enlisted with the Army and with the Air Force, so I have lots of insights. Best

Hey, I just found this thread and wanted to see if you could update us on how you’ve found the military match, if you would still recommend HSCP after completing medical school and any other updates your willing to provide.
Thanks!