Current issues in PT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hope4dpt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am researching a career in PT and was wondering what the current issues were, particularly with all the changes in health care. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Current issues in PT are different from state to state or region to region in the US. I live in Indiana - one of the few states left that does not have direct access for PTs. So, as you can imagine, getting direct access is a big issue for us Hoosiers. Along with that, in Indiana a bill was finally passed that will require practicing PTs to take continuing education courses, which (in my opinion) is very beneficial to both practitioner and patient/client.

In case you haven't already checked it out, look at the APTA's Vision 2020 - it outlines where they want the profession to be at and how they want it to look by the year 2020 (clever name, I know).

As of right now, I've not heard a lot about issues in the profession as it pertains to health care legislation changes at the federal level, although, I'm sure there are sure to be some effects.

I hope this was helpful. I'm only well versed in the issues in my own state right now. You might be able to get more information by calling a clinic in your state or calling and talking to a program representative.