Current fellows: how's the job hunt this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pathologists definitely make more than most family Med docs. Plus pathology is actually interesting, family medicine is the worst and most boring field of all of medicine, and I wouldn’t do it even if starting pay right out of residency was 750k.
I would do it for a million. Otherwise no way.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
When comparing salaries you have to look at hours worked and when. Radiology isn’t the lifestyle specialty it used to be and you do a lot of nights and weekends. There’s a decent percentage of PP pathologists who probably make more per hour than radiologists. I know I make more in salary and per hour than the radiologists at my hospital.

Sure. There's also plumbers and electricians who make more than radiologists and pathologists. Point is its not the norm, the vast majority of Rads make more. Lifestyle is pretty similar, majority of PP rads use telerads for overnight reads. They have weekends but thats variable. Academics is even more chill (7 weekends a year) and pay is solid.

Sure. There's also plumbers and electricians who make more than radiologists and pathologists. Point is its not the norm, the vast majority of Rads make more. Lifestyle is pretty similar, majority of PP rads use telerads for overnight reads. They have weekends but thats variable. Academics is even more chill (7 weekends a year) and pay is solid.

Dude you are still minimum 6 years from even entering The rads job market since you are wasting a year in path. You can’t predict anything and trying to extrapolate market conditions in either rads or path based on today is not going to be helpful or accurate even if doing so makes you feel better for choosing rads.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dude you are still minimum 6 years from even entering The rads job market since you are wasting a year in path. You can’t predict anything and trying to extrapolate market conditions in either rads or path based on today is not going to be helpful or accurate even if doing so makes you feel better for choosing rads.

I didn't make any predictions bro. I stated facts that apply to today's market. And I'm not wasting a year in path.

I didn't make any predictions bro. I stated facts that apply to today's market. And I'm not wasting a year in path.

youre correct

a combination of overtraining and corporate raiding has destroyed whatever autonomy and profit there was to be made in path for pathologists, in most cases.

special cases of pathologists doing very well exist but they are not the norm.

going by averages, radiologists make almost double pathologists and enjoy a far better job market and a more solidified professional cohort.

pathologists by virtue of both insourcing cheaper foreign labor and overtraining have a crab-in-bucket mentality that bodes poorly for the fields future

Reactions: 3 users
Pathologists make more money than family medicine. Here are the facts:

In the 2018 Medscape compensation survey by specialty
Family Medicine $219,000
Pathology $286,000
Medscape: Medscape Access

If you go to the library and look at the AAMC compensation survey, you will see that starting pathologists make more than starting family medicine physicians. The actual numbers cannot be posted because the information is copyrighted.

So two pieces of data say that pathologist make more than family medicine.

Daniel Remick, M.D.
Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center

286 for five to six years of training (including requisite fellowships) is not good. more than family med but comparing our field to the bottom of the barrel in terms of pay and status and then saying were ok is like comparing a homeless person in NYC to a child soldier in sudan and saying they have it good

sure it might be relatively better but it is by no means acceptable

dr remick, your program is full of FMGs. you are contributing to the oversupply that plagues our field. i do not know what you pose to gain personally by these actions, but your opinion and judgment cannot be trusted as your actions are clearly counterproductive to our fields status.

you may like to refer to the CAP assessment of a pending shortage (they have been saying this for 20 years) but know that the CAP is bankrolled primarily by lab corporations who have a vested interest in reducing the power of individual pathologists. by continuously training insourced pathology labor you are acting on the behest of for- profit corporations whose goal is not patient care but doing as little as possible, as cheaply as possible, without getting caught or sued. you are doing no noble service

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

You applied rads this year? Earlier you had mentioned it was too late to apply.

286 for five to six years of training (including requisite fellowships) is not good. more than family med but comparing our field to the bottom of the barrel in terms of pay and status and then saying were ok is like comparing a homeless person in NYC to a child soldier in sudan and saying they have it good

sure it might be relatively better but it is by no means acceptable

dr remick, your program is full of FMGs. you are contributing to the oversupply that plagues our field. i do not know what you pose to gain personally by these actions, but your opinion and judgment cannot be trusted as your actions are clearly counterproductive to our fields status.

you may like to refer to the CAP assessment of a pending shortage (they have been saying this for 20 years) but know that the CAP is bankrolled primarily by lab corporations who have a vested interest in reducing the power of individual pathologists. by continuously training insourced pathology labor you are acting on the behest of for- profit corporations whose goal is not patient care but doing as little as possible, as cheaply as possible, without getting caught or sued. you are doing no noble service

LOL....

This discussion with Dr Remick has been going on for the past 5-10 years.

With the "several" private practice pathologists who come here to mention the same thing about the commoditization of Pathology and the overtraining in Pathology (even yaah mentions it), I'm not sure Dr Remick is aware of this happening in private practice Pathology or if he even cares? He's not in private practice so why should he right?

...I didn’t “settle” for anything. As a matter of fact I almost feel guilty because I got exactly what I wanted and didn’t have to try any harder. I wanted an academic appointment in a very specific subspecialty, in a very specific large city. And that’s exactly what I got. There were other postitions I could have applied for, but I wanted this one and I got it.

Now, personally $215k sounds like plenty of money to me. If people want more they can go into private practice, fine. But I wanted to be in academics, that was my choice from the beginning. I do not get much vacation, that’s the truth, but it’s also relatively flexible depending on service coverage. Vacation is the one thing that concerns me. My benefits are fantastic. My hours, based on the current faculty, will be fine. I will be on service for 3 weeks followed by a week off service. And you know what? I actually like my ****ing career and have no desire to work 30 hours a week or whatever this guy is suggesting. I also have no desire to make huge amounts of money and I wouldn’t have followed my career path if I did. Newsflash: people have different career goals and life goals. The fact that I was able to get exactly what I wanted was the point I was making.

Maybe I sound defensive but actually I’m just kind of pissed off that some anonymous dingus thinks I “settled” on my dream job. I only applied to the one I got, because I knew I would be the perfect candidate, and I was.

just a little hubris? Settle down there, Shera. Your initial post was more or less a “rebuttal” to all the negativity about the job market, which you attempted to quell with a “one shot, one kill” job-hunt analogy [along with the usual Remick-esque "everyone in my program is gainfully employed" footnote] commensurate with a salary I don’t give a damn if you’re content with because anyone—FM, psyche, path, rads, gen surg, et al—who applies to one job and does one interview because they think they are the “perfect candidate” for 1 job in 1 specific city is either living in a perfect little world he or she has constructed for him/herself, is extremely lucky, or is wearing blinders.

I’m glad you found a job you like with pay you’re content with, but your example is an egregiously horrible approach to the physician job market for the overwhelming majority of trainees…your case is quite the exception to the norm. By all means, go into a specialty you can see yourself doing to the rest of your life—like you said …but be aware of all the parameters that affect your ability to actually do that job for the rest of your life, anticipate that your life situation will likely change as time goes on, and don’t limit yourself for convenience sake.

This "dingus" actually likes his career too, and while I have countless better things to do than belabor the point, I wanted to as least point out the irony (insecurity?) of your being “pissed” someone would dare critique your seemingly iron-clad career choice [which I only critique as it pertains to an advisable career route for most people; I understand there are masochists amongst us].

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Pathologists make more money than family medicine. Here are the facts:

In the 2018 Medscape compensation survey by specialty
Family Medicine $219,000
Pathology $286,000
Medscape: Medscape Access

If you go to the library and look at the AAMC compensation survey, you will see that starting pathologists make more than starting family medicine physicians. The actual numbers cannot be posted because the information is copyrighted.

So two pieces of data say that pathologist make more than family medicine.

Daniel Remick, M.D.
Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center

One thing I learned is that Academic physicians know nothing about the job market. Sorry to say but just the truth.

One thing I learned is that Academic physicians know nothing about the job market. Sorry to say but just the truth.
But they control CAP and other pathology organizations which claim to speak for all pathologists.How many articles has the CAP magazine had concerning what is occurring in community pathology?

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL....

This discussion with Dr Remick has been going on for the past 5-10 years.

With the "several" private practice pathologists who come here to mention the same thing about the commoditization of Pathology and the overtraining in Pathology (even yaah mentions it), I'm not sure Dr Remick is aware of this happening in private practice Pathology or if he even cares? He's not in private practice so why should he right?

i wonder if he is willfully ignorant or worse. i dont consider him dimwitted as he is a doctor so i will give him the benefit of the doubt on his intellect. there is a reason for his persistent optimism bordering on frank untruths. i cant figure it out

i wonder if he is willfully ignorant or worse. i dont consider him dimwitted as he is a doctor so i will give him the benefit of the doubt on his intellect. there is a reason for his persistent optimism bordering on frank untruths. i cant figure it out
Simple self interest as his job depends on it.Simply talking his book.

Self-serving bias

I would not impugne Dr. Remick’s motives. Y’all act like he is an agent of
a cabal of mis-direction. He is a successful pathologist who has perused
an academic pathway. That does not imbue him with malice or naievity.
He may have ideas to offer but if he is treated like a troll he can’t/won’t.
Granted, his perception is ( or may be) slanted due to his niche, but so are ours.
I hope we stop the ad hominem stuff.

Reactions: 4 users
I would not impugne Dr. Remick’s motives. Y’all act like he is an agent of
a cabal of mis-direction. He is a successful pathologist who has perused
an academic pathway. That does not imbue him with malice or naievity.
He may have ideas to offer but if he is treated like a troll he can’t/won’t.
Granted, his perception is ( or may be) slanted due to his niche, but so are ours.
I hope we stop the ad hominem stuff.
Agree, Mike, but the only time Remick posts on here is to a.) chime in on the job market being fine & dandy, or b.) when he has a job listing to pass along in the stickies [most of which are academic postings]. Maybe he feels he'd be wandering too far into the weeds by defending himself or getting into pointless arguments, but it doesn't help the situation when someone of his stature just plays the same broken record as his sole means of contributing to this forum...he is to job-market posts what Thrombus is (was) to MAGA posts.

"Perception" may be slanted due to one's niche or perspective, but that sort of obvious relativism doesn't negate the fact that our field is being and has been pushed in a direction that adheres to the "looming shortage" narrative, or at least blissful ignorance to an oversupply. My hat is off to people that ride their careers into the sunset of academia, but academia owns the responsibility of saturating our ranks with its symbiotic relationship with ACGME. It's hard to not appear ad hominem in criticism of a person when that person repeatedly says the same thing over and over and over, and says nothing else on any other subjects...

Last edited:
just a little hubris? Settle down there, Shera. Your initial post was more or less a “rebuttal” to all the negativity about the job market, which you attempted to quell with a “one shot, one kill” job-hunt analogy [along with the usual Remick-esque "everyone in my program is gainfully employed" footnote] commensurate with a salary I don’t give a damn if you’re content with because anyone—FM, psyche, path, rads, gen surg, et al—who applies to one job and does one interview because they think they are the “perfect candidate” for 1 job in 1 specific city is either living in a perfect little world he or she has constructed for him/herself, is extremely lucky, or is wearing blinders. . . .

You're the one who decided to be rude and accuse me of "settling" for my job, which I'm clearly quite happy with. Also I never made any analogies, I have no idea what you even mean.

I'm really not sure how it's not helpful for people to give anecdotal information regarding themselves and their fellow residents or fellows. It's just as helpful as people who come post to moan about how awful the market is because they can't get a job. The fact that as a trainee I know a lot of other former trainees and they're all gainfully employed is actually meaningful, like it or not.

I'm also really confused by what people here seem to think is a reasonable salary. Some people are spoiled brats and have their heads up their asses.

I called you something much worse than "dingus" but that's what the site autocorrects to.

I hadn't been on this site for years and I don't intend to come back anytime soon. I know that one of my faults is I like to defend myself too much when it doesn't matter, but oh well.

You're the one who decided to be rude and accuse me of "settling" for my job, which I'm clearly quite happy with. Also I never made any analogies, I have no idea what you even mean.

I'm really not sure how it's not helpful for people to give anecdotal information regarding themselves and their fellow residents or fellows. It's just as helpful as people who come post to moan about how awful the market is because they can't get a job. The fact that as a trainee I know a lot of other former trainees and they're all gainfully employed is actually meaningful, like it or not.

I'm also really confused by what people here seem to think is a reasonable salary. Some people are spoiled brats and have their heads up their asses.

I called you something much worse than "dingus" but that's what the site autocorrects to.

I hadn't been on this site for years and I don't intend to come back anytime soon. I know that one of my faults is I like to defend myself too much when it doesn't matter, but oh well.
Listen pussycat, smile a bit. No need to double down on the name calling.

While I have no doubt your story comes from your heart [however icy cold it may be], my point was two fold: a.) advising people not to view SDN as a source of anything reliable while simultaneously touting ones' personal gloryquest is disingenuous [your story/opinion/thought is more valuable? more true? yes, use your judgement given the anonymity, but this isn't the National Inquirer] and b.) that it is strongly inadvisable to walk in your footsteps.

I would err on not calling people "spoiled brats" (?) with their heads up their respective arses because they think $215,000 is a pittance of a salary, because in terms of return for your work it is, for the reasons I and others have harped on time and time again: if you're a pathologist pushing average glass and have your ducks in a row, relegating your career to the lowest bidder / least common denominator is an insult to yourself.

I dunno, maybe you're clin path or a part time mom or something, but you have to at least respect the reality that most trainees--if given the opportunity to make your salary vs 2-3 times what you make...even 1.5 times that--are going to choose the latter...like, every single time...save a few masochists, underperformers, and naive/lazy people. And the "opportunity" to make a better salary [ie. get paid closer to your worth in terms of output] comes from applying to >1 job, doing >1 interview, and looking bigger picture. You don't want that "opportunity", be my guest. You can put "215" on a lapel pin for your power suit and proudly wear it around the department, fine by me, but your 'anecdote' serves as a reminder to those considering this specialty.

Last edited:
Listen pussycat, smile a bit. No need to double down on the name calling.

While I have no doubt your story comes from your heart [however icy cold it may be], my point was two fold: a.) advising people not to view SDN as a source of anything reliable while simultaneously touting ones' personal gloryquest is disingenuous [your story/opinion/thought is more valuable? more true? yes, use your judgement given the anonymity, but this isn't the National Inquirer] and b.) that it is strongly inadvisable to walk in your footsteps.

I would err on not calling people "spoiled brats" (?) with their heads up their respective arses because they think $215,000 is a pittance of a salary, because in terms of return for your work it is, for the reasons I and others have harped on time and time again: if you're a pathologist pushing average glass and have your ducks in a row, relegating your career to the lowest bidder / least common denominator is an insult to yourself.

I dunno, maybe you're clin path or a part time mom or something, but you have to at least respect the reality that most trainees--if given the opportunity to make your salary vs 2-3 times what you make...even 1.5 times that--are going to choose the latter...like, every single time...save a few masochists, underperformers, and naive/lazy people. And the "opportunity" to make a better salary [ie. get paid closer to your worth in terms of output] comes from applying to >1 job, doing >1 interview, and looking bigger picture. You don't want that "opportunity", be my guest. You can put "215" on a lapel pin for your power suit and proudly wear it around the department, fine by me, but your 'anecdote' serves as a reminder to those considering this specialty.

Stop mansplaining dude, you're living in a #metoo era, facts on the ground notwithstanding.

I'm not a fellow, but I wanted to check in since I've been on both the hiring and getting hired end of the table recently. I previously worked in a mid-size to small town. It was very difficult to recruit qualified applicants there: normal-ish people who can hold a pleasant conversation, have an attitude conducive to continual learning and are willing to learn/do anything asked of them. If you are a good candidate, there are groups out there looking for you!

I was fairly selective in my recent job search, but was able to find a job. I restricted my search to private groups in the South and West (no midwest or northeast due to family preference). I think having some basic personal skills and good references helped. After being in practice for several years, it was a lot easier for me to understand group needs and to figure out if I was possibly a good fit. The group I joined was looking for someone with my particular fellowship training. Although you shouldn't need a subspecialty fellowship to get a job, it really helps. I would recommend everybody do at least one non-surgical pathology fellowship. The only recent trainee that I've worked with who didn't have a subspecialty fellowship was kind of a disappointment compared to others who walked into our practice on day 1 and were an immediate resource for the group. Times are just different now. Don't fight it.

Good luck!

I'm not a fellow, but I wanted to check in since I've been on both the hiring and getting hired end of the table recently. I previously worked in a mid-size to small town. It was very difficult to recruit qualified applicants there: normal-ish people who can hold a pleasant conversation, have an attitude conducive to continual learning and are willing to learn/do anything asked of them. If you are a good candidate, there are groups out there looking for you!

I was fairly selective in my recent job search, but was able to find a job. I restricted my search to private groups in the South and West (no midwest or northeast due to family preference). I think having some basic personal skills and good references helped. After being in practice for several years, it was a lot easier for me to understand group needs and to figure out if I was possibly a good fit. The group I joined was looking for someone with my particular fellowship training. Although you shouldn't need a subspecialty fellowship to get a job, it really helps. I would recommend everybody do at least one non-surgical pathology fellowship. The only recent trainee that I've worked with who didn't have a subspecialty fellowship was kind of a disappointment compared to others who walked into our practice on day 1 and were an immediate resource for the group. Times are just different now. Don't fight it.

Good luck!

Thanks for sharing your story. Do you mean an AP subspecialty?

What do you think about those that do both a general surgical Pathology fellowship + AP subspecialty? Redundant?

Thanks!

What do you think about those that do both a general surgical Pathology fellowship + AP subspecialty? Redundant?

Thanks!

If you go to a decent program, a surg path fellowship is pointless. Do a fellowship that can have board certification.

The vast majority quoted 180k starting, most made it very clear this was non-negotiable. The only ones above 220s were either u.s. Mexico border towns or very very rural areas and were willing to negotiate.
What is considered "very, very rural?"

Thanks!

Yes, AP subspecialty. I see how a surg path fellowship could be useful in certain situations,but I don't think doing general surg path for an extra year is going to be more useful than focusing on one area (Heme, Cyto, GI, GU, breast, GYN, derm,etc..).

I did two fellowships: one in heme and one in surg path. In my first job out of fellowship, I started at $330 K in a rural town of 10,000 people. I am a big city person and so I stayed until I paid off my loans and then moved to a large city. I did take a slight paycut and currently make $300 K a year with a 10% increase per year. I am hospital employed and therefore no partnership track for me and I am ok with that.
It is possible to find good-paying jobs but sometimes location really makes a big difference.

Congrats....living in a rural area while being a big city person must have been miserable.

I accepted a position in a rural hospital as a staff pathologist as my first job out of fellowship training. My starting salary was over $300K.
I currently work 50-60 hours per week and I sign-out approximately 4,000 surgical, cyto and hemepath cases per year.
I realized that I needed to move to a larger city where I would be surrounded by friends and family and therefore the amount of money that I make is not worth it.
I have had four jobs interviews with three offers with different regions of the U.S. in a private practice type setting. The starting salaries have ranged from $200K to $250K after one year of work experience and multiple board certifications.
I am willing to take the pay-cut so that I can be more supportive of my family and have a better quality of life outside of work.
Bottom line: Do not live just to work. Life is too short.

Nice Diana, glad it worked out for you. How do your new hours compare to working 50-60 hrs/wk before? What about the vacation? Typically pp offers more than employed non-academic positions in big cities. Did you take a cut there as well?

I actually have more time off than my former job in a rural area. I work about 50 hours per week. I have 4 weeks of vacation and 2 week for CME.

This is common i.e. first job out of training leaves more to be desired and people move on after a couple of years. After gaining experience, you're able to take your time to look around and make an upward move as opposed to the clock ticking when fellowship will be over and taking what limited options may be available.

So, you went to a more desirable area geographically, with more days off, equal to less hours worked, and only slightly less pay? Yeah, I think you're winning overall :thumbup: Thanks for sharing and best of luck with the new job.

I did two fellowships: one in heme and one in surg path. In my first job out of fellowship, I started at $330 K in a rural town of 10,000 people. I am a big city person and so I stayed until I paid off my loans and then moved to a large city. I did take a slight paycut and currently make $300 K a year with a 10% increase per year. I am hospital employed and therefore no partnership track for me and I am ok with that.
It is possible to find good-paying jobs but sometimes location really makes a big difference.

Smart move. Got your “real world” experience, made some bucks and then moved on to what you desired. You are a great exemplar for the younger
folks here who are still in training.

I was geographically restricted to a big city with a job market that is quite saturated. I had an academic position as backup, but finding a non-academic positions was more difficult. Several of the positions I applied to had 100+ applicants I was told. Was fortunate to find a private practice opening through a friend. High volume and biopsies only with starting salary in the mid $200s with partnership track offering roughy 100k increase per year capping out slightly over 1 million.

I was geographically restricted to a big city with a job market that is quite saturated. I had an academic position as backup, but finding a non-academic positions was more difficult. Several of the positions I applied to had 100+ applicants I was told. Was fortunate to find a private practice opening through a friend. High volume and biopsies only with starting salary in the mid $200s with partnership track offering roughy 100k increase per year capping out slightly over 1 million.
wow-you must have special attributes

Wow 100 applicants per advertisement? Yaah mentioned that he experienced the same with a job ad from his group. Shows The oversupply on this field.

What do you mean capping out slightly over 1 million. Partner making 1 mil? Damn

Last edited:
Wow 100 applicants per advertisement? Yaah mentioned that he experienced the same with a job ad from his group. Shows The oversupply on this field.

What do you mean capping out slightly over 1 million. Partner making 1 mil? Damn

not everyone that pulls in 7 figures is pushing Clay Cockerell levels of skin...if you're eating what you kill without admin or hospital or corporation skimming [er, scraping] a huge cut off the top, not surprising at all to be close to or over $1mil......that's just what the field has become accustomed to--being taken advantage of. Just a good payer mix with efficiency, fair billing, respectable volume, +/- physician-owned healthcare entity...being in midwest or 1 of the few higher-pay regions helps. Even the groups making .5 to .75 mil could pull out a few stops, cut a person, and get close to or at 7 figures, but lifestyle takes precedence, as it should.

Is that comment really necessary? I stated it was through a connection, as many private practice jobs are
This was not meant in a denigratory manner.This type of job with such a high level of compensation is in the upper 5-10 percentile and would normally require a special type of individual such as a super dermatopathologist

Are you doing dermpath?

A 7-figure job puts a person in the top 1% of pathology.

PPpath, you showed abstinence and held out for over 13 years on SDN before your first post?!? And, entering in with a bang to say you're pulling down over a million bucks. Sometimes saying less is more...bravo

A 7-figure job puts a person in the top 1% of pathology.

PPpath, you showed abstinence and held out for over 13 years on SDN before your first post?!? And, entering in with a bang to say you're pulling down over a million bucks. Sometimes saying less is more...bravo

I just started so I'm many years away from that amount. The bulk of our volume is GI.

I just started so I'm many years away from that amount. The bulk of our volume is GI.

PPPath, How do you compete with all the corporate labs and pod labs for biopsies?

PPPath, How do you compete with all the corporate labs and pod labs for biopsies?

POL/IOL.

10 years is a long time and there is something called revolving door out there.

In DP, there are two classes: 1st for the derm-dps who have the first priority for partnerships and best jobs in derm groups; 2nd for the path-dps, for whom commercial lab and POL employment is reserved.

Those working exclusively in POLs may have difficulty in returning to hospital practices later.

The surprise being shown at the income prospect of 1M/yr is very telling. This level of remuneration was not unusual at all back in the day. It has been a long, slow slide.

I finished training 4 years ago, had 3 job offers and took one in academics. I make about $265K, have 5 weeks of vacation, and have excellent retirement (80% of my base salary and insurance for life)once I am vested. I love going to work everyday, like the flexibility of being able to sign out more/less, teach, and do some clinical research projects. I rarely work more than 40hrs a week.

I am not concerned about how much money others are making in medicine or other fields. If I was I would get a job in tech.

I finished training 4 years ago, had 3 job offers and took one in academics. I make about $265K, have 5 weeks of vacation, and have excellent retirement (80% of my base salary and insurance for life)once I am vested. I love going to work everyday, like the flexibility of being able to sign out more/less, teach, and do some clinical research projects. I rarely work more than 40hrs a week.

I am not concerned about how much money others are making in medicine or other fields. If I was I would get a job in tech.

Wow, this sounds great. If you don't mind me asking, in what area of the country is this?

80 % and insurance for life ?
Are you somehow getting a federal pension