current chicago peds residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I have a question about residency start dates. I am getting married in June 2006 prior to starting residency. I plan on attending residency in Chicago, particularly NW, UC, Hope (Advocate Christ), Loyola, or Rush. I thought all residencies start July 1st at the earliest, but now I have heard that orientation begins anywhere between June 10th-20th. I am getting on married on June 10th 2006 and wanted to take a 7 day honeymoon the week after the wedding. I was hoping on booking the trip 6-8 months prior to the wedding, which would be before match day. Since orientation may start the week of my honeymoon, I would obviously have to miss one of them.

I am curious as to when the various Chicago programs (particularly the 5 mentioned above) start orientation. Also, has anyone else been in this predicament? How did the programs respond? Were they flexible with the start date or did they basically tell you that youre screwed and have to miss your scheduled prepaid vacation?

I can't change the date of the wedding, so that is not an option. I could push the honeymoon back but I would like to avoid this it all possible. Any advice would be appreicated.

Members don't see this ad.

Children's Memorial (NW) starts pretty early, and this year's incoming interns are starting orientation 6/20. There's typically a day and a half of orientation (usually the Monday and Tuesday after Father's Day), and you start your first rotation the afternoon of the second day. I know it's pretty early, but the benefit is that all of the interns get a 5 day vacation at the end of the year and usually go somewhere together. The new interns start early to cover the outgoing interns while they're on vacation. There are specified rotations during your intern year during which you can take vacation. If you have one of these rotations first, you could start your vacation after orientation. Hope this helps!

Chi-town Ped said:
Children's Memorial (NW) starts pretty early, and this year's incoming interns are starting orientation 6/20. There's typically a day and a half of orientation (usually the Monday and Tuesday after Father's Day), and you start your first rotation the afternoon of the second day. I know it's pretty early, but the benefit is that all of the interns get a 5 day vacation at the end of the year and usually go somewhere together. The new interns start early to cover the outgoing interns while they're on vacation. There are specified rotations during your intern year during which you can take vacation. If you have one of these rotations first, you could start your vacation after orientation. Hope this helps!

Thanks Chi-town Ped! I PM'd you.