curious

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hops

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see so many Indian students in my science classes. Is it something that they eat/drink that makes them so smart? Or is it just the genes? Some of the best doctors that I know are indian!

Members don't see this ad.

hops said:
I see so many Indian students in my science classes. Is it something that they eat/drink that makes them so smart? Or is it just the genes? Some of the best doctors that I know are indian!
Thanks......

hahaha, aww thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think its because all the Indians here are children of professionals...doctors, dentists, engineers, etc. Therefore, their children are more likely to be smarter. There's also more pressure put on the children by these parents to succeed (which means becoming a doctor if ur Indian :laugh: )

lakersfan said:
I think its because all the Indians here are children of professionals...doctors, dentists, engineers, etc. Therefore, their children are more likely to be smarter. There's also more pressure put on the children by these parents to succeed (which means becoming a doctor if ur Indian :laugh: )

I don't know if I can apply the above to myself. My parents are definitely not professionals like those. My mom works in a loan servicing department and my dad's a computer consultant. I wouldn't consider him a computer engineer or whatever. My sister and I are smart, but not that smart. Maybe it's because we all just tend to work harder... I don't know.. :)

saffronrain said:
I don't know if I can apply the above to myself. My parents are definitely not professionals like those. My mom works in a loan servicing department and my dad's a computer consultant. I wouldn't consider him a computer engineer or whatever. My sister and I are smart, but not that smart. Maybe it's because we all just tend to work harder... I don't know.. :)
I agree we tend to work hard...as competetion is too tough.. :thumbup:

I guess from the very begining ,when we r kids we r told that we have to work hard to succeed...i guess thats something that is taught to all Indian kids regardless of where they live...n i guess that is what makes us what we are!!!

parasiteatwork said:
I guess from the very begining ,when we r kids we r told that we have to work hard to succeed...i guess thats something that is taught to all Indian kids regardless of where they live...n i guess that is what makes us what we are!!!

Exactly.

I think the phenomenon is neither genetic or ethnic in nature. I think it is a more related to the indian culture.

Society in India holds education and intellectual achievement in very high regard. Scholarly activity is the top priority. Schools India are often quite rigorous as well. As a result, the parents of children in India play a significant role in the day to day education of their offspring.

As a whole, American parents tend to place less emphasis on education.

But if you look at indian students...(atleast the ones in india)..don't you think education kind of is THE ONLY priority...I mean they don't have to work...sports aren't very big there either (talking abt.."generally")....so for them its really all about studies.... but here I see people handling their Jobs, studies, hobbies, and extracurriculars...and trying to have fun at the same time....definitely more well-rounded...responsible ( ok indian students are too...kind of forced to be anyways)..and a greater experience of life...and kind of "being on your own"....

?? ?? ?? <<<YES>>>NO>>>MAYBE>>> ?? ?? ??

hopeful05 said:
But if you look at indian students...(atleast the ones in india)..don't you think education kind of is THE ONLY priority...I mean they don't have to work...sports aren't very big there either (talking abt.."generally")....so for them its really all about studies.... but here I see people handling their Jobs, studies, hobbies, and extracurriculars...and trying to have fun at the same time....definitely more well-rounded...responsible ( ok indian students are too...kind of forced to be anyways)..and a greater experience of life...and kind of "being on your own"....

Yes, you are quite correct.

India is sort of getting that way too.

Students just don't study 24/7. Education is a top priority and has cultural significance as well. The economy is another reason.

Premedtomed said:

Students just don't study 24/7. Education is a top priority and has cultural significance as well. The economy is another reason.
Wasn't there some bollywood film where the father (I forget who played him) was injured by some accident, but was a track star prior to his injury. And the father kept pushing his son like crazy (didn't give a rat's gadha about studies) to beat some hundred meter record at the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm.....rats gadha!! :laugh: you hav ur own lingo sunny...

its bad when parents try to live their lives through their kids...worse when they make it into a movie......

yeah yeah parents hav the right to dream for their kids....its because they love them...but some will just put tooo much pressure....

Must be the worse thing in the world to get up one morning and realize that all your life you've been living according to someone else's plan..doing stuff someone else wanted you to....being scared of taking your own chances ...and exploring the world through your own eyes...

and I have no clue why i wrote all that
it doesn't remotely apply to me...or anyone I know..
I hope it doesn't apply to people I don't know either... :p

Premedtomed said:

Hmm....it might be geting that way...but v e r y
s l o w l y . people still think that studies are the only way to go. Sportsmen I knew were constantly made fun of in class as being dumb...(not true at all....!!) because they had to miss classes and tests...
I wish people were encouraged more to develop their talent ...besides the brain cells....
Seriously ...what do indians think of people majoring in art or music etc...no one really cares ... its such a loss to the country...

Lot more money in arts and music today in India than ever before.

I am telling in the big cities things are changing drastically.

Don't worry, we (lot of Indians) are behind the change. i.e. support it :thumbup:

but sometimes...its not about the money...
who says that is the only measure of success?
or happiness for that matter!

But thanks for the :thumbup: I hope thats how everyone feels
I don;t have any major artistic talent...except i love dancing..and i wish i could do it all day....but I don;t have the guts to take it further than a hobby
But other people should...with their talents

^ How many people actually follow through with their dreams? Rarely few. It's usually due to some circumstances (fianacial, physical, or just the change in family environments) that add a detour in their plans. Suprisingly, not too many people keep up with their hobbies (lack of time is the main reason).

sunny123 said:
Wasn't there some bollywood film where the father (I forget who played him) was injured by some accident, but was a track star prior to his injury. And the father kept pushing his son like crazy (didn't give a rat's gadha about studies) to beat some hundred meter record at the school.

whoa, which movie is that??
almost reminds me of Munnabhai MBBS. his parents wanted him to become a doctor, and he lied to them, and they eventually find out. it's an odd but good movie. anyway, being indian i find it annoying that most indian parents look down upon the arts. my sister wants to become an actress, and as you can imagine, it's not quite settling down with them. they think she's kidding. i fully support her.. :laugh: anyway, once i told my parents that i might major in astronomy or journalism (yeah two totally different things) and minor in art. they lectured me for hours on how i wouldn't succeed in life, and that i'd soon be begging on the streets. it's weird. they have a totally different mind set and can't imagine their children reaching beyond the relms of engineering, laywers, and doctors.
i really have no clue as to what i'm talking about, but i guess i'm just venting. :) :rolleyes:

saffronrain said:

well, my dad is a bank officer and my mom a housewife! and all three of my siblings are Doctors and again- me in Germany and another in Australia! It´s just that we are taught to fight and work that we move ahead. Americans live by Social Security! we live on Ourselves!

Hmmm...Dr.Garfield.... who told you that?
Indians live on their parents money till they are..like 24- or even till later...
people here start working early on in their life....!! 12-13 year olds clean out garages etc. for music systems...and pocket money...and they are 15-16 when they start their other jobs...the social security is for later on in life....and the amount of social security one gets is based on how much they worked early on in life....
maybe some people get it for other reasons...but it is the policy of US to protect its people-- to look after its citizens... people laid off from jobs- people hurt or handicapped etc...
Now if indians lost jobs or were desperate ...they'd go running back to mom and dad.....
Don't generalize what you know of some people on the entire country--- americans work hard too...some do ..some don't...but the same goes for india...or don't tell me you've never seen fat men..in off-white shirts...sit on their wooden desks..and drink tea and eat biscuits...and do no work...no wonder it takes days to get telephone line's fixed or any work done for that matter in india
:rolleyes:

hopeful05 said:
Hmmm...Dr.Garfield.... who told you that?
Indians live on their parents money till they are..like 24- or even till later...
people here start working early on in their life....!! 12-13 year olds clean out garages etc. for music systems...and pocket money...and they are 15-16 when they start their other jobs...the social security is for later on in life....and the amount of social security one gets is based on how much they worked early on in life....
maybe some people get it for other reasons...but it is the policy of US to protect its people-- to look after its citizens... people laid off from jobs- people hurt or handicapped etc...
Now if indians lost jobs or were desperate ...they'd go running back to mom and dad.....
Don't generalize what you know of some people on the entire country--- americans work hard too...some do ..some don't...but the same goes for india...or don't tell me you've never seen fat men..in off-white shirts...sit on their wooden desks..and drink tea and eat biscuits...and do no work...no wonder it takes days to get telephone line's fixed or any work done for that matter in india
:rolleyes:

That´s the difference- they start early but they are shorter in ambitions than Indians. And they don´t run to their parents when they are in trouble because THE OLD GUYS WON´T HELP! because he never heard a thing wat the ol´daddy said! It´s different in India- You run to whom you Expect from!
India has a poor System Machinery in general- but try putting a hundred million people in America- and they will sure be WORSE than India is!

DrGarfield said:
And they don´t run to their parents when they are in trouble because THE OLD GUYS WON´T HELP! because he never heard a thing wat the ol´daddy said! It´s different in India- You run to whom you Expect from!

Exactly....some indians expect their mommy and daddy to always be there for them...but why??... they have to learn to make it on their own...not with daddy's using his coonections to get the job for the son...and mommy's looking for matches so that the "child" can live happily ever after!!

and hey..don't tell me that indian kids listen to everything their parents say either....I love my parents...and I respect them...but i don't think they are always right...so there are times when i don't listen to them...I'm 20 years old...I don't expect them to make things right for me...or pull me out of trouble...

DrGarfield said:
well, my dad is a bank officer and my mom a housewife! and all three of my siblings are Doctors and again- me in Germany and another in Australia! It´s just that we are taught to fight and work that we move ahead.
PHP:
Americans live by Social Security! we live on Ourselves
!
:idea: :laugh: :idea: :laugh:

hopeful05 said:
and hey..don't tell me that indian kids listen to everything their parents say either....I love my parents...and I respect them...
PHP:
but i don't think they are always right...
so there are times when i don't listen to them...I'm 20 years old...I don't expect them to make things right for me...or pull me out of trouble...
u will start thinking n believing that your parents r always right by the time u turn 25...believe me!!! ;)

parasiteatwork said:
u will start thinking n believing that your parents r always right by the time u turn 25...believe me!!! ;)

Ya-Parasite- I agree- because i am already 26!!!!

hopeful05 said:

YES.

sunny123 said:
Hey...Sunny keep up the Senglish....I love ur vocab......all the best.....good going...... :laugh: :luck:

parasiteatwork said:

I don't believe you....I can't
the conflict over ideas is mostly with my dad...but its the other way around...he's impusive and a risk-taker....I am a planner....and I go crazy..working hard to make my dreams come true....I am not a slacker...so they don't have to tell me to take charge of my life....I take chances occasionally ofcourse...but I am not the kind who'll drop everything on a whim...he's really adventurous....my mom is the control factor in their relationship...she says no to everything...first... :laugh:
I know you think i'm too young to understand anything....but then u don't know me....I have my own perspective on things...probably because i grew up in a very independent kind of atmosphere....but i don't think i'm ever goignt o think that the parents are always correct... its just not true...coz no one is perfect...they are human too...they make mistakes...and they have ego's
too....

But hey if things change...by 25..i'll let you know ;) coz maybe that's just a dumb little 20 year old taking right now.... :D

I dunno.....but my experiece of US tells me...
Americans surely do not depend on their parents for money or support.......they do not use the connections for admissions...jobs.........
We can not say they are not ambitious.....well they do work towards their dreams....They do not look back to their parents for their help.....
On the other hand.....Indians do work hard.....their parents support them....but they do not have demands like their own car....apartment........they do lean on their parents for support.......well parents are treated like GOD in India....so its all mutual....
Besides..these are two different cultures.......nothing is right or wrong......its just about acceptable differences.......

Parents aren't like GOD.....
are they....did I grow up in the same country??
I guess everyone's experience is different....

btw...i know you didn't mean God literally....yeah we do respect them alot...but they take such good care of us... I'm going to go hug my mom now...!! :)

hopeful05 said:
I don't believe you....I can't
the conflict over ideas is mostly with my dad...but its the other way around...he's impusive and a risk-taker....I am a planner....and I go crazy..working hard to make my dreams come true....I am not a slacker...so they don't have to tell me to take charge of my life....I take chances occasionally ofcourse...but I am not the kind who'll drop everything on a whim...he's really adventurous....my mom is the control factor in their relationship...she says no to everything...first... :laugh:
I know you think i'm too young to understand anything....but then u don't know me....I have my own perspective on things...probably because i grew up in a very independent kind of atmosphere....but i don't think i'm ever goignt o think that the parents are always correct... its just not true...coz no one is perfect...they are human too...they make mistakes...and they have ego's
too....

But hey if things change...by 25..i'll let you know ;) coz maybe that's just a dumb little 20 year old taking right now.... :D

Hey..Hope..
we all grow and we all have our own perspective......so do not worry.......no two people are unique.......hmmnn...about being 25.......I somehow feel experience makes u sensible...mature...sadly cynical as well.Parents are not always correct.......they do make mistakes......I mean they sometimes are so unreasonable.....relax.......we all need to take charge of our own lives.....we live with our own experience.....If I were to listen to my parents all the time.....I would be.....Saint Meetlife.......cos.....my parents are like"harm no one"...."never hurt"....."parents are the people who make most contradictory
statements....all blinded by their love for their child.......Every time I tell my father"Dad stop"......he is like"wait....till u have babies......then u will realise what I mean all this while......beta...bacche sab kuch seekha dete hain" :laugh: :laugh:

well,
How the things really are is all about the HARD CORE REALITIES!!

Indians know that to live a life in this badly competent and populated world- what you need to do in order to live a worthy life is-- ACHIEVE something- and for India- that something is firstly Money! Bhooke Bhajan Na Hoy!
This can be called Materialistic- or it can be called Capitalism!!!! ( I rather the second!)

And to do achieve That- what you need is a good and sound career- not a job at a Mc Donalds or a night with Girlfriend! These are Immediate pleasures- but the Those Indians are worried about are the Provisions for future!

You can not quote movies for explaining any mentality- movies are not made about General mentalities- Absurdity of behaviour makes good movies usually!

That´s why the indian students dont miss classes for attending sports coaching- because Sports in India doesn´t Pay!! When sports starts paying- Indians will excel in that- Like in Cricket (They are not the best all the time- but very well indeed!) Golf (Vijay Singh- though fijian- but indian blood),
Narain Kartikeyan- (Formula one racer from India- for those who came in late!) Shania Mirzy (Tennis)

And I read someone saying- Art and music have a lot money in india ´these days-------- SEE!!!!! SEEE!!!! What guides the indians for the career is not the love for art or music-- it´s the fact that That thing´s got Money in it!

Indians are True Capitalists!! and That´s a definitely GOOD GOOD thing!
When a country has to progress- they have to form a capitalist mindset- America is! Britain is! Australia is! though they sometimes dont admit! And these countries were also a lot more materialistic and Capitalist in the past years of their upcoming and struggle!

Yo India- Way to go!!

I do agree with you on this-- some people definitely value their future and minimize the lure of immediate reward-experiences...that takes a lot of self control...but its not necesarily an "indian" trait...its just a trait...in some people...

hopeful05 said:
I do agree with you on this-- some people definitely value their future and minimize the lure of immediate reward-experiences...that takes a lot of self control...but its not necesarily an "indian" trait...its just a trait...in some people...

Well, that´s what i think- and as i am not any much above Average Indian Medico- that´s what an indian medico in India thinks! I think that is the trait in the indian students! I atleast can be sure of my colleagues!

no..it is true.... its a fact... with students who are not going to run their dad's businesses anyways

hopeful05 said:
no..it is true.... its a fact... with students who are not going to run their dad's businesses anyways

i saw your profile- so u re one week older than me- well by date! mine is 22nd june! I know i shouldn´t ask year to a girl!! ha ha :D

naah... i'm still young....i don't mind...1984.."year of the RAT" some kinda chinese thing.... don't believe in astrology much...but its fun anyways

hopeful05 said:
naah... i'm still young....i don't mind...1984.."year of the RAT" some kinda chinese thing.... don't believe in astrology much...but its fun anyways

ooookey dokey! i am the batch of 1978- i think it was a year of Horse! but i am not sure!
I like Bejan Daruwalla´s predictions- they are atleast fun to read!
I am a cancerian that was- and you a Gemini!

I like the linda goodman's book on sun signs...some of that stuff is seriously true...
yep i'm a gemini...i def. have the twin thing going....and the talkative thing as well ......... :D can't help it

yay for geminis.

i'm scorpio. ;)

thanks for all these recommendations! i only hope i have time to read most, if not all of them this summer. :)
keep more recs comin though!!

thought i'd share a good book i've read. it's called "first they killed my father"- yes, the title is weird, but the book is absolutely fantastic. its based on a true story (i think).
i'm sure most of you have read this one, "born confused" by tanuja desai hidier or someone.. its all right.. not the best. lol

later kids.

sunny123 said:
I'm a Gemini too :clap: !!
Gemini's rock..!! Yeah!!
I love being one :thumbup:

Sunny if you are a gemini....then i def see the intellectual part.....
but as for the twin-like attributes of gemini's....then I really haven't met your other twin...the one at this forum is always really calm and collected......when will i meet the irrational, impulsive one??

I love aries people...usually get along with them really well....and virgo's and libra's too...
its wierd but it seems the sign thing is some what applicable in some cases
i wudn't use it for matrimonial purposes though..lol :laugh:

meetlife said:
Hey..Hope..
we all grow and we all have our own perspective......so do not worry.......no two people are unique.......hmmnn...about being 25......I somehow feel experience makes u sensible...mature...sadly cynical as well. Parents are not always correct.......they do make mistakes......I mean they sometimes are so unreasonable.....relax.......we all need to take charge of our own lives.....we live with our own experience.....If I were to listen to my parents all the time.....I would be.....Saint Meetlife.......cos.....my parents are like"harm no one"...."never hurt"....."parents are the people who make most contradictory
statements....all blinded by their love for their child.......Every time I tell my father"Dad stop"......he is like"wait....till u have babies......then u will realise what I mean all this while......beta...bacche sab kuch seekha dete hain"

You are right meetlife...
i'm never growing up...keeping my ways till they can work...I don't want to be too sensible all the time ...takes the fun out of life...but seeing how i usually calculate my actions based on the results... i don't know if I can manage to do that, and just be crazy...I guess we all grow up ... and change...before we really realize it....

That stuff that your dad says... :laugh: its a funny situation...but i've heard that too.... from my aunt though...it's a fact too...

Lol :laugh: You'd only meet the irrational, impulsive one if we ever had to go somewhere, and you took your sweet time in the bathroom, which would cause us to arrive on IST (Indian standard time). :D

I try and be patient with my mom, my friends (the female ones), and their sisters, but a guy can only wait for so long. Know what I mean guys??

hey hey....now i know a few (metrosexual ) guys who take longer than girls do :eek:. So girls aren't always the last ones :smuggrin: :laugh:
Personally, I'm usually the first one ready. I don't know how I would have survived college otherwise. I'd rather sacrifice breakfast for a few more minutes of sleep :D

I dunno, there has been something about being late and keeping everyone waiting that really bugs me. If you know you are gonna be in the bathroom for at least two hours to get ready, then just get into that bathroom that much earlier.

I have a friend's sister who is constantly late for EVERYTHING, and it really irritates my friend. The sister's fiancee got upset over this as well, and I think they had a fight or something (I dunno of the shaadi is still on).

And ppl have got to stop using Indian standard time as an excuse. We are not lazy people!! Well a lot of us aren't. ;)

sunny
IST - stands for "INDIAN STRETCHABLE TIME"(NOT INDIAN STANDARD TIME)

^ I stand corrected my good man :D .

sunny123 said:
Lol :laugh: You'd only meet the irrational, impulsive one if we ever had to go somewhere, and you took your sweet time in the bathroom, which would cause us to arrive on IST (Indian standard time). :D

I try and be patient with my mom, my friends (the female ones), and their sisters, but a guy can only wait for so long. Know what I mean guys??

hmmm.... :D finally found a pet peeve..something that ticks you off...but see that still isn't really irrational....kinda makes sense to not want to make people wait for you...its disrespectful....
but i know...i'll admit it...girls take their time... ( and i also agree with Rxgal--guys i know worry abt their hair..omg! its crazy... it has to be perfcet you know...ALL THE TIME...i'm sure sunny can't identify with that though..) I do too...but on occasion...I usually take longer than the other members in my family...which means i get up earlier than any of them...i'm usually ready and sipping my coffee when the rest wake up...I just don't like to hurry in the morning.... spoiles the day....
anyways...the IST in my house isn't a problem ...we all have our dad's army habits..some of them..anyways...yeah i admit it...at home and with people I am comfortable with..i'll usually eat my pizza with a fork and knife...go ahead laugh..make fun of me.... i can't eat food if it gets too messy....