Curious Destroyer ppl

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fancy312

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I'm almost done with chads videos and his quizzes, and I'm wondering how long it takes a person to finish destroyer? I do want to go through it twice, and I'm determined to do so, so I'm curious how long it took you guys that completely finished it.

*** I know everyone is different and it all depends on how much understanding you put in, in terms of THROUGHLY understanding it. So if you guys can tell me how long --> i.e going through it, realizing why you got certain questions wrong, going back again and reviewing it a 2nd time, that would be great.
Should I make flash cards for the stuff in destroyer I don't understand?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't seem to remember exactly how long it took me.

It depends on your strengths, schedule, stamina, motivation etc.
For me if I had work that day, I would be a little tired and sometimes I just wanted to chill out a bit and eat dinner with my family etc. On those days I probably only got about 30ish questions done. Did that lazyness screw me over? Possibly, as I wasn't able to get through a full 2nd round. But like sports, sometimes it's just as important to listen to your mind/body.

Probably not a useful answer (I'm sorry!!!) but just don't have any hard facts/numbers. All in all you know yourself best so make sure to listen to yourself!

Just saw your edit... for me in biology (my weakness) I would have to spend a lot of time to understand the question and would have consult google, youtube and other sources. Where as general chemistry I could usually just look at the answer key and remember how to do that question the next time. Again, individuals have differences. I made a google doc for like every biology question. Flash cards are fine also

Last edited:
I can't quite remember how long it took me to finish it either, but I want to say it was 3 weeks or so for the first time I completed it. I probably finished each section in one week (GC, OC, Bio). I did not do much of the QR section in Destroyer because I replaced it with Math Destroyer. I was able to complete the GC and OC sections twice and the second time through went much faster, like within a couple days! Some questions I even went under a third time to strengthen my weaknesses. However quickly you go through the Destroyer is dependent upon how much time you have and how determined you are :)

If you're comfortable with making flashcards, go for it. I realized flashcards were not my thing when it comes to the Destroyer. For GC and OC, I just did the problems over and over again until I understood. What helped me solidify my understanding of certain subjects was to categorize every single question under what topic it belongs to. I made a giant spreadsheet on Excel and that helped me a lot. For example, some topics would be "percent yield calculations" or "stability" or "gas behaviors" and I would gather the corresponding question numbers under those headings. It took forever to make, but well worth it because then I'd know which topics I had trouble on and had an index to follow. For knowing OC reactions, instead of flashcards I folded pieces of paper into two-thirds so that the flap on the outside either showed the reagents and underneath the flap I had to finish the reaction, or the flap on the outside showed the product and under the flap would reveal the reagent. As for bio, I don't really have anything useful to say. I just read, absorbed, and hammered them into my mind, literally lecturing to myself the topic verbally of what I just read from Cliff's. Talking to yourself helps, for me at least! I also wrote down anything I wanted to clarify and get down completely of things I didn't understand in a small notebook because writing/drawing helps me memorize too. Just simply going through those 500+ bio questions from Destroyer helps solidify topics as well since you'll see many of the same subjects repeated.

it depends. dont rush through dat destroyer. and you should go through more than once. I did a few pages a day of each subject. I did the GC and Orgo 3x and bio 2x.

make sure you realize where you are making your mistakes and fix them. dont mindlessly run through dat destroyer thinking its gonna automatically boost your score. Use it to gauge your weaknesses and how you can improve.

Reactions: 1 users
Set a time goal and the divide the number of problems in each section by the days you want to study. For me it was about 36-40 days so if a section has 561 questions for example (i think this is bio) I multiplied 561 by 2 since I wanted to do it twice and then divided it by 40 (Ik I gave up occasionally that's ok lol as long as you maintain a good attitude overall). So 1122/40 = ~28 Bio questions a day. That's just one example; it's really not too bad but you need to be consistent and review carefully. For the other sections it would be less questions; this way you make progress and it's not overwhelming at all. On days you're feeling good go ahead of schedule so you can have some days to slack off and relax. I hope this helps :D. I barely finished destroyer in a month the first time I took the DAT. 2nd time around it took me 2-3 weeks the first time and a similar amount the second time too.

Reactions: 1 user