Curious about job outlooks for FM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jamiedrew

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi there!

I am starting intern year at an unopposed program in Southwest and I'm excited.

I am curious though, what are the job prospects like? Can FM docs still work anywhere in the country and can we get a job "anywhere"?

I am also curious if residents coming out of unopposed programs are more desirable or not.

This may be too early to think about this but I was curious recently.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Uhh, yes the job market is still awesome. I'm relocating in 4 months and have had 3 job offers and 2 interviews pending in a town of 40,000. If I was willing to drive 30 minutes outside of town, that number at least doubles.

As far as training, most jobs don't care so long as you're board certified when you graduate residency. Academic jobs care, of course, as do jobs that look for certain skills. Otherwise, its not a big deal.

I personally prefer unopposed programs, but I would absolutely hire a graduate from an opposed program without a second though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm about to enter 3rd year.

I get at least 30 solicitations per day, from all over the country.

Job outlook is excellent; probably the best in any medical field.

Reactions: 4 users
hi there!

I am starting intern year at an unopposed program in Southwest and I'm excited.

I am curious though, what are the job prospects like? Can FM docs still work anywhere in the country and can we get a job "anywhere"?

I am also curious if residents coming out of unopposed programs are more desirable or not.

This may be too early to think about this but I was curious recently.

Thank you so much!

There are more jobs than there are doctors to fill those jobs. That why the locums market is also very good. Yes, you can get a job anywhere. No one cares what your residency program was like. You need that board cert. I have had a permanent job for 18 months now. I still have 2 locums jobs on the side. I get 10 emails a day from recruiters both perm and locums for help. My phone rings at least 10 times a month from recruiters looking for help. No need to worry.

Interesting

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Some people choose unopposed because you'll typically get more full-scope training (not always but in general). For example, if you're interested in doing FM plus OB with c-sections, you're not competing with any OBGYN residents because the only residents in your hospital are FM residents.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
This came across my email today.
Lone Star MedStaff seeks both Locums and Permanent Providers for the following positions . . . PLEASE EMAIL FOR MORE DETAILS!

PERMANENT POSITIONS:

Board certified FAMILY MEDICINE Physicians are needed for multiple clinics in Dallas and Houston!

FOR RECENT GRADS:

A busy, Family Medicine clinic just outside Houston seeks a recently graduated Family Medicine MD.
An excellent salary with great benefits, paid vacation and CMEs and will train.

PEDIATRICIANS are needed in both North and West Houston, including the opportunity to start the pediatrics specialty at a busy, FM clinic in far West Houston!

LOCUMS POSITIONS:

Experienced Primary Care physiciains are needed immediately for 90-day assignments at these locations:
*A state correctional facility in far West Texas (Texas medical license required)
*A state correctional facility in far East Texas near Houston area (Texas medical license required)
*A federal correctional facility on the TX/LA border (ANY STATE medical license accepted)

These positions offer a competitive salary with lots of clinic support! Lodging & mileage paid for as well as medical malpractice.

EMAIL TODAY FOR MORE DETAILS!

Julee Clear

Recruitment Consultant - Lone Star MedStaff

P.O. Box 16341 Sugar Land, TX 77479

(877)238-3427

(877)328-8440 (fax)

(505)920-5535 (mobile)

[email protected]

www.lonestarmedstaff.com

Uhh, yes the job market is still awesome. I'm relocating in 4 months and have had 3 job offers and 2 interviews pending in a town of 40,000. If I was willing to drive 30 minutes outside of town, that number at least doubles.

As far as training, most jobs don't care so long as you're board certified when you graduate residency. Academic jobs care, of course, as do jobs that look for certain skills. Otherwise, its not a big deal.

I personally prefer unopposed programs, but I would absolutely hire a graduate from an opposed program without a second though.

From lurking on the boards I seem to remember you were one of the guys trying DPC. Just curious if you would still recommend the DPC model to new docs after your experience.

From lurking on the boards I seem to remember you were one of the guys trying DPC. Just curious if you would still recommend the DPC model to new docs after your experience.
I absolutely would. The only reason I'm leaving my DPC practice is because we're moving to a new town and I can't take it with me

I absolutely would. The only reason I'm leaving my DPC practice is because we're moving to a new town and I can't take it with me

That's great to hear. The DPC model is definitely what I'm most interested in at the moment as a new grad.

This came across my email today.
Lone Star MedStaff seeks both Locums and Permanent Providers for the following positions . . . PLEASE EMAIL FOR MORE DETAILS!

PERMANENT POSITIONS:

Board certified FAMILY MEDICINE Physicians are needed for multiple clinics in Dallas and Houston!

FOR RECENT GRADS:

A busy, Family Medicine clinic just outside Houston seeks a recently graduated Family Medicine MD.
An excellent salary with great benefits, paid vacation and CMEs and will train.

PEDIATRICIANS are needed in both North and West Houston, including the opportunity to start the pediatrics specialty at a busy, FM clinic in far West Houston!

LOCUMS POSITIONS:

Experienced Primary Care physiciains are needed immediately for 90-day assignments at these locations:
*A state correctional facility in far West Texas (Texas medical license required)
*A state correctional facility in far East Texas near Houston area (Texas medical license required)
*A federal correctional facility on the TX/LA border (ANY STATE medical license accepted)

These positions offer a competitive salary with lots of clinic support! Lodging & mileage paid for as well as medical malpractice.

EMAIL TODAY FOR MORE DETAILS!

Julee Clear

Recruitment Consultant - Lone Star MedStaff

P.O. Box 16341 Sugar Land, TX 77479

(877)238-3427

(877)328-8440 (fax)

(505)920-5535 (mobile)

[email protected]

www.lonestarmedstaff.com

I hate when they say "competitive salary"... what does that mean?? I've heard places say that then say they start at $180k and other places say they start at $250k. "Competitive salary" is such a vague statement.

I hate when they say "competitive salary"... what does that mean?? I've heard places say that then say they start at $180k and other places say they start at $250k. "Competitive salary" is such a vague statement.

Competitive means it's the average or better than average salary for the region. Pretty much all offers I receive via the mail say " competitive compensation. "
Actual numbers are rarely disclosed.

Competitive means it's the average or better than average salary for the region. Pretty much all offers I receive via the mail say " competitive compensation. "
Actual numbers are rarely disclosed.

They also like to say things like "compensation in the 90th percentile." You assume they mean MGMA salary range, but you know what they say about assuming...

Reactions: 1 users

Yes, but just know when it comes down to the nitty gritty "all numbers are negotiable" and you are expected to have a number in your head that is acceptable to you. The recruiters expect that. No one is going to show all their cards the first round.

Many jobs. Any state you want. Don't worry my friend. Just get through residency. Life's good afterwards.