CSULA Post Bacc (Option 1 and 2) 2018 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaggy123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I realized that there is no current thread going for people who are applying to this program. Who else is applying/has anyone been accepted yet??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

I realized that there is no current thread going for people who are applying to this program. Who else is applying/has anyone been accepted yet??
Hey!
I applied to the CSULA option 1 program. Haven’t heard about acceptance yet, but did receive an email stating that my application was complete :)

I applied awhile back, dropped app off in person back in March, just got email that everything was complete and I should hear back mid May

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied and got rejected this morning for Option I- AET... I wonder what they look for?? please share your stats if anyone here got in. Thank you!!!

Hey everyone,

Thanks for starting this! I applied for option 2 and haven't heard anything yet, except the general confirmation e-mails. Anyone have any updates?

i applied for option 1, still waiting for a response! has anyone heard back recently?

Well..it's past mid-May. Has anyone seen any changes on their admission status on GET? I haven't heard back or seen anything yet. Any updates?

I called the Biology department today to check, and they said that they are "still in the admissions process" but have sent out SOME e-mails. Not sure if they were to Option 1 or Option 2 applicants, or if they were acceptances/rejections. Super vague but at least the process is starting!

I called the Biology department today to check, and they said that they are "still in the admissions process" but have sent out SOME e-mails. Not sure if they were to Option 1 or Option 2 applicants, or if they were acceptances/rejections. Super vague but at least the process is starting!

LOL! Yes very vague! I'm excited to know :) Thanks for the update!

I can tell one thing for sure, rejection emails were sent out since the begin of May. Not hearing back is actually a good sign for this case (assuming your app is completed). Wish everyone luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I called Dr. Park, who I think is the director of the program, and I was told on the phone that if I hadn’t heard back yet then I was probably rejected since they already sent out acceptance emails. My status on GET is still incomplete though and I haven’t received an official rejection email. :(

I called Dr. Park, who I think is the director of the program, and I was told on the phone that if I hadn’t heard back yet then I was probably rejected since they already sent out acceptance emails. My status on GET is still incomplete though and I haven’t received an official rejection email. :(

Thanks so much for this info. Unfortunately, I also haven't heard back at all either and my GET still says "incomplete". I called today to check again but the program director is out sick. Did anyone receive an acceptance phone call or e-mail? If so, what were your application stats? Best of luck to everyone still in the dark!

Hi everyone!

I know this thread is a year old now, but I recently applied to CSULA's Post Bac Option 1 in April but haven't heard back yet. I was wondering if anyone has gone through the program and has any tips, information on the program itself, etc? I am really considering this program and hope that I get accepted. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Hi everyone!

I know this thread is a year old now, but I recently applied to CSULA's Post Bac Option 1 in April but haven't heard back yet. I was wondering if anyone has gone through the program and has any tips, information on the program itself, etc? I am really considering this program and hope that I get accepted. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
I also applied this cycle for option 1! Have you heard back yet?

Yes!! I got an acceptance via email on 5/26. What about you? Good luck!
oh wow congrats!! I'm still waiting to hear back, I was told I would get an email today so keeping my fingers crossed!

do you mind sharing your stats?

I graduated in 2018 with a degree in biology. My science gpa is a 3.22 and overall gpa is a 3.33. I took a year off to gain clinical experience and work to save for medical school. I’ve been volunteering at Kaiser for 3 years, and have volunteered in underserved communities throughout Africa, Honduras, and Panama. I also work as a medical scribe, and have held many leadership positions.

I hope you get accepted, best of luck to you!

I graduated in 2018 with a degree in biology. My science gpa is a 3.22 and overall gpa is a 3.33. I took a year off to gain clinical experience and work to save for medical school. I’ve been volunteering at Kaiser for 3 years, and have volunteered in underserved communities throughout Africa, Honduras, and Panama. I also work as a medical scribe, and have held many leadership positions.

Hi! I know it's a year late but I've been trying to research more about this post bacc program but cannot find anything. Since you are now in the program, do you mind sharing your experience with classes, difficulty level etc? Do you think it's worth it?

Hi! I know it's a year late but I've been trying to research more about this post bacc program but cannot find anything. Since you are now in the program, do you mind sharing your experience with classes, difficulty level etc? Do you think it's worth it?
Did you apply? I did But still waiting on a decision!

Did you apply? I did But still waiting on a decision!
Hi no I didn't because I was past the deadline but will most likely do it next year! Good luck!! Did you apply to the gpa enhancer or career changer?

Hi no I didn't because I was past the deadline but will most likely do it next year! Good luck!! Did you apply to the gpa enhancer or career changer?
I applied to the gpa enhancer. havent heard back yet though but if i dont get in ill most likely will try again next year.

Hello! I'd love to share my experience.

I am in the Academic Enhancer track. Basically you choose any BCPM courses to take that will boost your science GPA. They are all undergraduate courses, which are kind of a hit or miss in terms of difficulty. I had a few easy courses but I'd say courses are generally harder. I liked that I was able to choose from a variety of classes, especially classes I have not taken.

I definitely think it is worth it. It is probably the cheapest program out there. You pay for master's tuition so it is more than undergraduate tuition but it is still not bad (~$8,000 for the entire post-bac year). It is more of an independent kind of program meaning you get what you put into it. Other postbacs students would just show up to class, but I made sure to attend all the pre-med events (personal statement workshops and other pre-health workshops) and regularly see my advisor.

Btw, I received an acceptance email on 5/26. Don't lose hope! Best of luck.

Hello! I'd love to share my experience.

I am in the Academic Enhancer track. Basically you choose any BCPM courses to take that will boost your science GPA. They are all undergraduate courses, which are kind of a hit or miss in terms of difficulty. I had a few easy courses but I'd say courses are generally harder. I liked that I was able to choose from a variety of classes, especially classes I have not taken.

I definitely think it is worth it. It is probably the cheapest program out there. You pay for master's tuition so it is more than undergraduate tuition but it is still not bad (~$8,000 for the entire post-bac year). It is more of an independent kind of program meaning you get what you put into it. Other postbacs students would just show up to class, but I made sure to attend all the pre-med events (personal statement workshops and other pre-health workshops) and regularly see my advisor.

Btw, I received an acceptance email on 5/26. Don't lose hope! Best of luck.
I applied this cycle and still waiting on a decision. I'm planning on taking Biochemistry to boost my overall GPA in general as I wait. If I don't get accepted this cycle - what are some things you recommend me doing if I want to apply to CSULA's Academic Enhancer track next year? I really wanna go here!

My gpa is slighter lower than yours (overall 3.0-3.1 GPA I think) - so I'm super nervous about getting denied since I know this program is competitive. I tried my best in highlighting everything else though. I held two leadership positions in undergrad, volunteered in undeserved communities in Vietnam during a medical/dental mission trip, and have worked as a dental assistant for 4+ years in 3 different offices (general dentistry, orthodonitcs, & implant surgery). The thing lacking are my grades which is why I applied to this program but I'm also worried it's not enough to get in. Would you say they look at everything over all? Also the people that wrote my letters are all professors that I was close with/did well in their classes.

My gpa is slighter lower than yours (overall 3.0-3.1 GPA I think) - so I'm super nervous about getting denied since I know this program is competitive. I tried my best in highlighting everything else though. I held two leadership positions in undergrad, volunteered in undeserved communities in Vietnam during a medical/dental mission trip, and have worked as a dental assistant for 4+ years in 3 different offices (general dentistry, orthodonitcs, & implant surgery). The thing lacking are my grades which is why I applied to this program but I'm also worried it's not enough to get in. Would you say they look at everything over all? Also the people that wrote my letters are all professors that I was close with/did well in their classes.

Another great program that I recommend that you should look into is SFSU Pre-Health Formal Post-Bacc Program. I was in a similar situation (GPA and work experience) and got denied from this program. Luckily, I got accepted to SFSU and after two semesters of classes, i got accepted to dental schools.

Wow! You have so many great experiences, that's awesome! I'm sure that will greatly help your application. I think they do a holistic review. TBH I think they have the 3.0 science GPA requirement because they want students who they know will do well in the program and get into medical school to help with their reputation, which I think is good. And you meet that requirement so don't worry! Also having letters of rec from professors is also really great. I know the waiting game sucks, but I am sure you will get in!

Another great program that I recommend that you should look into is SFSU Pre-Health Formal Post-Bacc Program. I was in a similar situation (GPA and work experience) and got denied from this program. Luckily, I got accepted to SFSU and after two semesters of classes, i got accepted to dental schools.

Yes I totally agree. I was accepted into SFSU's program too. I liked the atmosphere of the school and how classes were specifically for postbacs only. They are oriented on teamwork and helping each other out which is really nice! However, it was a much more expensive program, but financial aid was offered (loans) and I believe they have much more advising, help with med school apps, etc. which I wish I would have had!

Btw, Dr. Smile, congrats for getting into dental school!!

Yes I totally agree. I was accepted into SFSU's program too. I liked the atmosphere of the school and how classes were specifically for postbacs only. They are oriented on teamwork and helping each other out which is really nice! However, it was a much more expensive program, but financial aid was offered (loans) and I believe they have much more advising, help with med school apps, etc. which I wish I would have had!

Btw, Dr. Smile, congrats for getting into dental school!!
Thank you BOTH so much for the advice. It's so stressful trying to get into a program cause I really do want to improve my grades for dental school. Thank you! <3

Wow! You have so many great experiences, that's awesome! I'm sure that will greatly help your application. I think they do a holistic review. TBH I think they have the 3.0 science GPA requirement because they want students who they know will do well in the program and get into medical school to help with their reputation, which I think is good. And you meet that requirement so don't worry! Also having letters of rec from professors is also really great. I know the waiting game sucks, but I am sure you will get in!
Yes! I do hit that requirement but its just right there so I'm just nervous! But thank you so much!! Hoping for the best. Thanks for being so active and helpful on this forum for all of us!

Thank you BOTH so much for the advice. It's so stressful trying to get into a program cause I really do want to improve my grades for dental school. Thank you! <3
I applied to SFSU but I'm still waiting to hear for an interview (if they're still doing that). I did hear from them in April asking for a few more items I was missing and they were very helpful and friendly.

I am more than happy to help answer any question you may have too! I was once in your shoes - feeling anxious about applying with average stats. So feel free to reach out any time.

Also, things might be moving a bit slower than usual around this time due to all the changes they need to implement - moving classes online and helping students prepare for the upcoming professional application cycle. Just be patient. If you hear back from an interview, you will most likely to get accepted.

I am more than happy to help answer any question you may have too! I was once in your shoes - feeling anxious about applying with average stats. So feel free to reach out any time.

Also, things might be moving a bit slower than usual around this time due to all the changes they need to implement - moving classes online and helping students prepare for the upcoming professional application cycle. Just be patient. If you hear back from an interview, you will most likely to get accepted.
Will DM you now! Thanks sooo much.

Hi, I just found out today that the CSULA post bacc program got rid of their health care advising office at the end of April and that they're not sure of the status of the program now. I'm concerned that they're not going to have a fall cohort without the needed resources. Here's a petition to sign on a new advisor Sign the Petition

Hi, I just found out today that the CSULA post bacc program got rid of their health care advising office at the end of April and that they're not sure of the status of the program now. I'm concerned that they're not going to have a fall cohort without the needed resources. Here's a petition to sign on a new advisor Sign the Petition
Hey! I've heard about this too but these past few months I have been in contact with the admissions office about how my application is and it looks like they were still moving forward with my application. Hopefully everything works out and it continues in the fall. :( Did you apply yet?

Hey! I've heard about this too but these past few months I have been in contact with the admissions office about how my application is and it looks like they were still moving forward with my application. Hopefully everything works out and it continues in the fall. :( Did you apply yet?
Oh that's good that yours is still being processed! I'm happy for you :) I was able to contact someone in April but I haven't heard back since then. I'm not sure what's going on. I'm going to email again to see the status of my application. What other schools did you apply to? I wonder if we applied to the same ones

Oh that's good that yours is still being processed! I'm happy for you :) I was able to contact someone in April but I haven't heard back since then. I'm not sure what's going on. I'm going to email again to see the status of my application. What other schools did you apply to? I wonder if we applied to the same ones
I applied to CUSMs MBS program, SFSU’s post bac and CSUEB but still waiting on all those decisions. Hopefully we hear good news soon for this postbac! I do think they are still moving forward though with the program. At least I hope so!! When did your submit your app?

I applied to CUSMs MBS program, SFSU’s post bac and CSUEB but still waiting on all those decisions. Hopefully we hear good news soon for this postbac! I do think they are still moving forward though with the program. At least I hope so!! When did your submit your app?
I submitted in early April! I also applied to SFSU post bacc and CSUEB! It's nice that someone else is going through the same process as myself. I emailed CSULA so I'm hoping to hear back from them.

I submitted in early April! I also applied to SFSU post bacc and CSUEB! It's nice that someone else is going through the same process as myself. I emailed CSULA so I'm hoping to hear back from them.
I'm trying to private message you but It wont let me. Message me if you can! :)

Yes, this is true. I think what they may do is still accept students into the program but you won't have an advisor. As long as you have classes to take and do well in them, that's all that matters. Praying that the program will be open for you all!!

Yes, this is true. I think what they may do is still accept students into the program but you won't have an advisor. As long as you have classes to take and do well in them, that's all that matters. Praying that the program will be open for you all!!
Thank you for the update. Really hoping I get In! :( has anyone heard back yet? I think on the website they wed hear back by mid May.

Thank you for the update. Really hoping I get In! :( has anyone heard back yet? I think on the website they wed hear back by mid May.
Hi! I haven't heard anything back. I really don't know whats going on at CSULA. I went onto their portal and they said I had nothing on the to do list. Weirdly, I logged in a week later and they said my profile was incomplete because I never turned in transcripts. I emailed about this and I never received a response

Hi Christine! I cannot believe that CSULA is doing that! I hope they still proceed with the program. I plan on applying next year, but saw you applied in Norcal too. I honestly heard so many great things about CUEB's postbacc (my friend is in it now and loves it)! But I live in the IE, so staying here is much cheaper. Please update when you hear back from any of the programs! :)

Hi Conchalover, thank you for so much of your advice because I've been trying to find someone who went there for postbacc. Was is hard to get the classes you wanted because you were competing with undergrads for a spot before it got filled? And do you mind if I DM you with more questions?

Did you move from socal to norcal? If so, how much did you end up spending on tuition and housing? I'm from socal, and was considering applying to SFSU's postbacc but don't know if it's worth it considering how expensive it is to live up there!

Did you move from socal to norcal? If so, how much did you end up spending on tuition and housing? I'm from Socal, and was considering applying to SFSU's postbacc but don't know if it's worth it considering how expensive it is to live up there!

Yes, I am originally from SoCal. COL is def. more expensive in the Bay. Since SFSU is close to nearby cities like Daly City and South SF, you can find more affordable places to live while commuting to school. Tuition wise is depend on how many classes/ unit you are planning to take ($600/ unit). Many people work while in the program to help with living expenses and that's what I did. This post bacc was the best option for me to be a successful applicant. I am happy to answer any question you have, just PM me :)