CSU-East Bay Post Bacc Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone applied for the winter 2012 quarter? Have you been accepted?

Also, do any of you guys have information on financial aid or loan amounts we can take during this program? I need to start planning my finances and the website hardly gives any information.

It depends how much you have been loaning from Direct Federal loans while you're in undergraduate. In this program, you pay by unit which is $383 per unit. You can get a max of $12,500 from Direct Federal Loans (assuming you didn't max our your loans yet; if you are close or have maxed out your loans then you get lesser) and you'll have to loan from a private loaner or Parent Plus.

Members don't see this ad.

So anyone else attending Fall of 2012? I would definitely like to know some people before attending. Might need to look for some roommates.

For those who got accepted for Fall 2012, when did you apply and how long did it take for you to hear back from them?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who got accepted for Fall 2012, when did you apply and how long did it take for you to hear back from them?

I applied in early October and was notified of my acceptance in late November so I would say it takes about a month and a half for a response. This also includes time for all transcripts to be sent from all prior schools attended. Plus I used all slow services as I'm on a major budget and can't afford to pay any rush services.

If you are an academic enhancer student, you can still apply for Spring of 2012 as oppose to waiting a full academic year until Fall of 2012 for career changer students.

Can someone please tell me how difficult it is to get into pre-req classes like organic chemistry? I know that as post-bacc students we are last priority, but I'm just wondering.

Thanks

Can someone please tell me how difficult it is to get into pre-req classes like organic chemistry? I know that as post-bacc students we are last priority, but I'm just wondering.

Thanks

There are specific classes that are only for the post-bacc students, and you have priority for those classes. They offer more basic general science classes for career changers, and more advanced science classes for career enhancers.

If you want to get into any other classes, aside from what is specifically offered through the program for post-baccs, you have to go through Open University.

There are specific classes that are only for the post-bacc students, and you have priority for those classes. They offer more basic general science classes for career changers, and more advanced science classes for career enhancers.

If you want to get into any other classes, aside from what is specifically offered through the program for post-baccs, you have to go through Open University.

So as a career enhancer, would I be able to take the general courses given for career changers? I want to retake a few courses to boost up my GPA.

I was told that academic enhancers can take career changer classes and vice versa. I was accepted to the program but did not attend because I needed classes that were not offered through the program, and did not want to take the chance to go through Open U for the classes I needed. If you want to ask questions from current students, you can join their facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/147399328620821/

HI,
i got selected in ms program csueb biology
can u tell me how to chose the advisor?
if advisor is not willing to serve me then will they cancel my admission?
thanks

For Fall 2012,

On the application: "List below the three faculty members who best know your academic qualifications, including performance, potential, and motivation." Do I need all three? Is one enough?

Do I need an essay?

Do I need an interview with a prehealth advisor?

(according to the old thread, essay and interview are not required)

Last edited:
For Fall 2012,

On the application: "List below the three faculty members who best know your academic qualifications, including performance, potential, and motivation." Do I need all three? Is one enough?

Do I need an essay?

I would also like to know this! Thaaaaaaaanks

For Fall 2012,

Do I need an essay?

From Dr. Oscar Wambaguh, PHAP Advisor:
"We actually don't require any letters of recommendations or personal statement upon entering our PHAP program. And to clarify, it is not an advantage if you have it because we mostly look at student's GPA. So please write "NOT REQUIRED" for any of these field in CSUMentor."

If you have anymore questions, you can e-mail him at:
[email protected]

I applied as a career changer on 11/24 and I sent my transcripts in shortly after. I got my login information 3 weeks later. I called last week to make sure they received the transcripts I sent. They received them and my application status still says initiated. Because I am a senior, and I'm set to graduate summer 2012 I sent in my partial transcript. Would this delay them reviewing my application and notifying me if I got accepted or not until I send in my final transcript in July?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
I have several questions regarding the PHAP Program, but first I want to provide some background info.

I graduated from UC Berkeley with a degree in Molecular and Cell Biology completing ~146 total semester units and finishing with a 2.96 cumulative GPA (as calculated by Berkeley, PharmCAS GPA is ~2.8) I am very interested in becoming a pharmacist, however I feel that my low GPA is going to be a huge setback and therefore would like to raise my GPA by taking additional classes and perhaps repeating some undergraduate classes that I did not perform so well in.

This brings me to the question of whether it is reasonable to attend the post-bacc program under the Academic Enhancer track. Because the amount of semester units taken at Berkeley is so high, it is going to be exceedingly difficult to pull up my cumulative GPA, thus I would have to take a large number of courses in order to improve my academic standing. At $383/ unit, that amounts to a very expensive endeavor. If my memory serves me well, I would need to complete ~60 semester units in order to bring my cumulative GPA to a ~3.2 which is ~90 quarter units (anything above 60 semester units seems unrealistic to me). This amounts to ~$35,000 solely in tuition fees.

I know I can excel in a tight-knit evironment with a great support network (these are two aspects that I unfortunatley did not experience at UC Berkeley) and I do not mind taking out loans in order to fund the program so long as I know that there is a a chance that I can still be accepted to pharmacy school.

What do you guys thingk? Is it worth a try? Also, those who are already in the program, how are you financing your education? I currently have ~$28,000 in Direct Loans from my undergrad, so I want to know what my options are.

Thanks so much!

Recently, I just got my netID and horizon email, but on mycsueb, it says "initiated" and it looks like I need to send in my "final transcript." Does that mean I am "in" and I just need to send in my final transcript? (I am graduating in May)

---------------------

To Do Item Item Status Due Date Institution Administrative Function
Final Transcript Initiated 07/15/2012 CSU East Bay Admissions Application

---------------------

(ignore this. accidentally clicked twice)

Hi all,
I have several questions regarding the PHAP Program, but first I want to provide some background info.

I graduated from UC Berkeley with a degree in Molecular and Cell Biology completing ~146 total semester units and finishing with a 2.96 cumulative GPA (as calculated by Berkeley, PharmCAS GPA is ~2.8) I am very interested in becoming a pharmacist, however I feel that my low GPA is going to be a huge setback and therefore would like to raise my GPA by taking additional classes and perhaps repeating some undergraduate classes that I did not perform so well in.

This brings me to the question of whether it is reasonable to attend the post-bacc program under the Academic Enhancer track. Because the amount of semester units taken at Berkeley is so high, it is going to be exceedingly difficult to pull up my cumulative GPA, thus I would have to take a large number of courses in order to improve my academic standing. At $383/ unit, that amounts to a very expensive endeavor. If my memory serves me well, I would need to complete ~60 semester units in order to bring my cumulative GPA to a ~3.2 which is ~90 quarter units (anything above 60 semester units seems unrealistic to me). This amounts to ~$35,000 solely in tuition fees.

I know I can excel in a tight-knit evironment with a great support network (these are two aspects that I unfortunatley did not experience at UC Berkeley) and I do not mind taking out loans in order to fund the program so long as I know that there is a a chance that I can still be accepted to pharmacy school.

What do you guys thingk? Is it worth a try? Also, those who are already in the program, how are you financing your education? I currently have ~$28,000 in Direct Loans from my undergrad, so I want to know what my options are.

Thanks so much!

I would just give a try! btw, I am from cal too.

Hi,
I am applying for Fall 2012 admission into the academic enhancer program, does anyone know the acceptance rate for students into medical school? Or any thoughts on the program, did you like it, what are the classes and professors like, where you went to medical school after ect...
Thanks!

I've attached two documents that I found helpful for applying to the CSU East Bay post-bac program.

LW123: I'm sure if you email [email protected] they would be able to answer the question about acceptance rates to professional schools. I think the SFSU post-bac program is more established and has a few more years of data available, but on the SFSU website they give a few ballpark figures that you might be able to compare to any CSU East Bay data:

"Now that the CCT is nearly six years old, we have accumulated sufficient data on acceptance rates. From the 2007-2008 to the 2010-2011 application cycle, 59 of 75 Formal Post-Bac applicants were accepted into medical, dental, podiatry, nursing or veterinary medical schools, an overall success rate of 79%. We expect this high rate of success to continue into future cohorts. Although we have little data pertaining to the AET, which was recently established, our Dental Post-Bac Program, which also works with academic enhancers, may be a good predictive model; it has a success rate of about 90%."

Attachments

• Application Info.doc
    32.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Program Letter.docx
    110.8 KB · Views: 117
Hey guys, i think i got accepted into csueasy bay for fall 2012, i didnt see any initiatied sign or anything just says

Congratulations on your acceptance to Cal State East Bay. Your application file is complete. Please refer to the admitted student checklist for a list of final items you must complete to prepare for your upcoming enrollment.

., i think its bc i check my net i.d. late or my application status just went through pretty face, i applied for the academic enhancer... anybody else got in?

Hi All,

I was just accepted to the PHAP as an academic record enhancer for Fall 2012. Besides submitting our statement of intent, does anyone know what the next step is regarding this entire process?

Thanks!

Hey guys, i think i got accepted into csueasy bay for fall 2012, i didnt see any initiatied sign or anything just says

Congratulations on your acceptance to Cal State East Bay. Your application file is complete. Please refer to the admitted student checklist for a list of final items you must complete to prepare for your upcoming enrollment.

., i think its bc i check my net i.d. late or my application status just went through pretty face, i applied for the academic enhancer... anybody else got in?

Mine still says I need to send in my final transcripts....T_______T

I emailed them and they said "just please be patient, you should receive an email soon about your acceptance to the program" :(

Yea, you do have to be patient with them, i havent accepted or deny the offer yet tho bc i live in louisiana, and its a long drive lol.... do students live mainly on campus or off campus? i hope on getting financial aid, so which one would be better ?

Yea, you do have to be patient with them, i havent accepted or deny the offer yet tho bc i live in louisiana, and its a long drive lol.... do students live mainly on campus or off campus? i hope on getting financial aid, so which one would be better ?

My parents' house is 15 min away from campus (driving time according to google map), which makes perfect for me. I'mma just gonna live at home lol.

My parents' house is 15 min away from campus (driving time according to google map), which makes perfect for me. I'mma just gonna live at home lol.

lucky you!!!lol my drive time from louisiana to california.... 1 day and 9 hours according to google maps...FML lol

Hi, I just got accepted into CSU east bay as well

hey guys im looking into post bacc programs. im a Los angeles native. graduating from CSUN this may. cGPA of 3.0. i want to enhance my sub par gpa before i apply to medical school. ive already taken all the pre req classes for med school but have yet to take the MCAT.

i as looking into smp programs as well.
a two formal post bacc programs. in CSULA and CSUEB

which wold be best for me to apply to? im so confused and the pre med advisor is no help.

btw ill be graduating with a BA in Biology.

Thanks for all the help!

Hi, I just got accepted into CSU east bay as well

LW123, when did you submit your application and when did you get back from them? I applied in Jan and they still haven't get back to me =[

I don't have much info on the CSULA, but the advisers at CSU east bay are very helpful, and it seems like a good program. Small class sizes, formal program with other post bac students, which is nice. They have about an 50% acceptance rate into med school, but this is only from what people have reported back and they are in their 2nd year. I was also a Bio major, with a 3.0, and need to retake the science classes I got a C in. There are two tracks at CSU east bay, the academic enhancer (where you take upper division science courses) which you would most likely be interested in. There is also the career changer, where you can just retake courses you didn't do well in. I would email the advisers and see what would be best for you. It seems like you are in a similar situation to me, so I would recommend you apply soon.

I don't have much info on the CSULA, but the advisers at CSU east bay are very helpful, and it seems like a good program. Small class sizes, formal program with other post bac students, which is nice. They have about an 50% acceptance rate into med school, but this is only from what people have reported back and they are in their 2nd year. I was also a Bio major, with a 3.0, and need to retake the science classes I got a C in. There are two tracks at CSU east bay, the academic enhancer (where you take upper division science courses) which you would most likely be interested in. There is also the career changer, where you can just retake courses you didn't do well in. I would email the advisers and see what would be best for you. It seems like you are in a similar situation to me, so I would recommend you apply soon.

Thanks for the reply. Do you by any chane have the email address of the advisor? I already started the app process. Which route are you going btw?

I got the same acceptance message today for the academic enhancer program :)

does anyone by chance know how much time you have before you email them with the "intent to register"...some schools tell you, but I didn't see anything for CSUEB

Hi, can everyone who has been accepted for Fall 2012 and has already submitted their intent to register please respond to this post? Or send me a PM. I'd like to get to know all of you as we could very well be classmates ;-) this Fall Quarter. Unfortunately I no longer have a facebook account (left 5 years ago) and doesn't plan on returning to facebook unless there was good reason which I haven't found yet. My commute to the school is about an hour and 20 minutes, so not sure if I'll be looking for a closer place to stay but if gas prices don't drop in the winter time I may consider it. My rent is fairly low at the moment but gas prices may make up the difference and wear and tear on the car is always a factor.

-Cliff

Last edited:
does anyone by chance know how much time you have before you email them with the "intent to register"...some schools tell you, but I didn't see anything for CSUEB

Here is some information I received in an email from the program.

You will be informed via my.csueastbay.edu when your registration window opens and PHAP will email accepted students a schedule of classes for Fall in about a month. You can register for classes on my.csueastbay.edu.

I don't have a Facebook, but the email said that there is a Facebook group for students trying to find future roommates: https://www.facebook.com/groups/147399328620821/.

The last day to submit your intent to register is July 31.

Does anyone know if it is possible to take lab courses separately from the lecture component? The college I went to separates the lecture and lab portions of classes (i.e. organic lecture and organic lab are separate, so you can take them in different semesters). I'm curious about this because I took the physics sequence in college, but I only took the first semester of physics lab but not the second.

Does anyone know if it is possible to take lab courses separately from the lecture component? The college I went to separates the lecture and lab portions of classes (i.e. organic lecture and organic lab are separate, so you can take them in different semesters). I'm curious about this because I took the physics sequence in college, but I only took the first semester of physics lab but not the second.

I was also on a quarter system where the lecture and lab portions were completely separate.

It looks like their Organic Chemistry series 3301, 3302, 3303 are 5 units each. I would think they they break it down into a 4 unit lecture + 1 unit lab combined, so I doubt that they can be separated. However, their Introductory Physics series 2701, 2702, 2703 are 4 units each, which I'm assuming includes the lab?

Sounds like it would be best to email the advisor.

I have a quick question about the CSU mentor form. It has two prehealth academic programs one with advance and one without in the title. If I'm an academic enhancer and not a career changer, which one do I choose? Thanks!

Congrats to those that have been accepted into the program! I was recently offered an acceptance (for the academic enhancer track), so I'm thrilled to be starting this fall with you all as well! :clap: :D However, my question now is- does PHAP require us to to submit the following?

"Graduate Admitted Student Checklist

As an admitted student, complete these steps to prepare for your enrollment at Cal State East Bay:

Requirements for All Incoming Graduate Students

6. Complete the University Writing Skills Requirement by taking the required English courses or passing the Writing Skills Test (WST). Graduate students who did not satisfy the requirement as undergraduates must take the test no later than their first quarter of attendance. Check with your graduate adviser to see if you are required to take the WST."

Congrats to those that have been accepted into the program! I was recently offered an acceptance (for the academic enhancer track), so I'm thrilled to be starting this fall with you all as well! :clap: :D However, my question now is- does PHAP require us to to submit the following?

"Graduate Admitted Student Checklist

As an admitted student, complete these steps to prepare for your enrollment at Cal State East Bay:

Requirements for All Incoming Graduate Students

6. Complete the University Writing Skills Requirement by taking the required English courses or passing the Writing Skills Test (WST). Graduate students who did not satisfy the requirement as undergraduates must take the test no later than their first quarter of attendance. Check with your graduate adviser to see if you are required to take the WST."

They are looking for you to submit your latest Transcripts to show that you have completed courses in English 1A-D etc. Unless you did not pass your English classes with a C or better, there is no reason for you to take the WST or any other tests for that.

I have a quick question about the CSU mentor form. It has two prehealth academic programs one with advance and one without in the title. If I'm an academic enhancer and not a career changer, which one do I choose? Thanks!

I believe advance is the one for Academic Enhancer where as the other one without it is the Career Changer Track.

Do you guys know exactly how we are supposed to know if we were admitted? When I log onto MyCSUEB where exactly does it notify you that you have been accepted?

I believe advance is the one for Academic Enhancer where as the other one without it is the Career Changer Track.

Well, I did that wrong then. I did email them and asked but they didn't give me a straight answer. And then I emailed them after I submitted my application and specifically said my application was academic enhancer, which should be obvious considering all my science classes. Will this count against me, because I followed the lead of a friend of mine also applying for academic enhancer?

Well, I did that wrong then. I did email them and asked but they didn't give me a straight answer. And then I emailed them after I submitted my application and specifically said my application was academic enhancer, which should be obvious considering all my science classes. Will this count against me, because I followed the lead of a friend of mine also applying for academic enhancer?

I don't think it should be an issue. Once they look at your academic transcript and see that you've already completed many science classes they should automatically have you in the Academic Enhancer Track. The PHAP is specificly designed for post-bacc students and the classes are already setup for students in the program whether they are CC or AE. We all get access to same pool of classes. In other words once you're in, you just take the classes that are needed for you. Hope that helps.

-Cliff

Can anyone comment about living on campus? I think it seems nice for convenience, but I am hesitant about going back to dorm food. During undergrad I only lived in the dorms my freshman year, but I still shutter when I think about the dining hall food that was required with the housing package. Plus, I ended up not using many of my meals and lost about $300 worth of food that couldn't be refunded. I've gotten so used to going grocery shopping and cooking for myself that it's the one thing holding me back from living on campus. Other than that, it seems like the money is worth the convenience of living on campus and not having to worry about finding parking every day.

Anyone else considering living on campus? I've been told it's best to submit your housing request ASAP since spots are limited. Or, if you are living off campus, what are your reasons?

Hello. I was accepted into this program and I submitted my intent to register. Today I is the day I am suppose to register for classes but the section "Student Center" does not appear in MyCSUEB for me. Is anyone else having this problem?

Whew, I thought it was just me, djs1988!

Lol glad I'm not the only one. I sent the registrar an email and they said that students for the fall will not have enrollment times until June 11.

They also said that the Student Center link in your MyCSUEB should appear before or on that date. I was worried all day until I received those emails lol.