CSU-East Bay Post Bacc Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i just want to make sure that we do not need personal statement and interview right? do we need letter of recs?

i just want to make sure that we do not need personal statement and interview right? do we need letter of recs?

No. No personal statement or interviews. and no letters of rec. Just fill out the application. In the area that says personal statement, say not required. and then submit your application. You only need to submit your official transcripts. That's what Nellie told me. I called her.

Members don't see this ad :)
MyCSUEB says my application is incomplete and that the required documents have only been initiated (even though I mailed them in January and March). I called admissions and records last month and was told that they've received my transcripts and residency questionnaire. I guess they're just processing all the applicants, but I'm worried with the mid-May deadline.

Does anyone know what kind of stats or experiences one would need/know the profiles of anyone that got accepted? I just wanna know what my chances would be on a very basic level.

Does anyone know what kind of stats or experiences one would need/know the profiles of anyone that got accepted? I just wanna know what my chances would be on a very basic level.

I was accepted and I have a 3.0 sGPA and 3.2 cGPA. I have fairly good volunteer experience as I assisted in a foreign country for a couple of months. Hope this helps.

I was accepted and I have a 3.0 sGPA and 3.2 cGPA. I have fairly good volunteer experience as I assisted in a foreign country for a couple of months. Hope this helps.

This helps! Thanks! Did you apply straight out of college or did you take a year/years off?

This helps! Thanks! Did you apply straight out of college or did you take a year/years off?

I graduated May 2010 so I took a year off of school. However, during the year I have done my best to keep doing medical related activities. I took a year break from school, not from other things.

Hi everyone,

I only sent my transcripts once, but they took forever to process it.

March 4 - submitted my app on CSUMentor. No personal statement required. No GRE/MCAT required. No letters of rec required.

3 weeks later - I received an envelope from CSU-EB in the mail that has my designated user-name to log on MyCSUEB

March 21 - I emailed the admissions office to ask if they have received my transcripts or not. They didn't even reply.

April 18 - As of today's status, my application is complete, but is "Pending Grad/Dept Review"

So I hope to get in as an academic enhancer for Fall 2011.

I have some questions to ask the people who entered this program in Fall 2010 as academic enhancers only:

1. Do you guys spend one year or two years to enhance your academics?

2. Each student has a different schedule, depending on his/her status?

3. Are there enough classes to take every quarter?

4. How many people were accepted as academic enhancers last year?

That's all I have for now. I hope someone can help me answering those. Thanks a bunch.

Hi everyone,

I only sent my transcripts once, but they took forever to process it.

March 4 - submitted my app on CSUMentor. No personal statement required. No GRE/MCAT required. No letters of rec required.

3 weeks later - I received an envelope from CSU-EB in the mail that has my designated user-name to log on MyCSUEB

March 21 - I emailed the admissions office to ask if they have received my transcripts or not. They didn't even reply.

April 18 - As of today's status, my application is complete, but is "Pending Grad/Dept Review"

So I hope to get in as an academic enhancer for Fall 2011.

I have some questions to ask the people who entered this program in Fall 2010 as academic enhancers only:

1. Do you guys spend one year or two years to enhance your academics?

2. Each student has a different schedule, depending on his/her status?

3. Are there enough classes to take every quarter?

4. How many people were accepted as academic enhancers last year?

That's all I have for now. I hope someone can help me answering those. Thanks a bunch.

You will definately get in. I am still waiting for my application to be complete. I submit the application on March 28th. The program director e-mailed me saying that just as long as your GPA is above a 2.5 and you apply EARLY then you get accepted. so no worries about your acceptance to the program. I am also applying as an academic enhancer for fall 2011 as well.

I'm waiting for my acceptance letter then i'll try to communicate with those who are entering for fall 2011 for possible living together as housemates.

went to cal, overall gpa 3.22

graduated in 2008 with b.a. in social cultural anthropology

worked in contracts and grants administration for 1 year. was making good money but hated the job, found myself making no direct impact on people's lives. realized i need to get serious with life if i don't want to work in a profession i hate.

moved to sacramento and really did soul-searching, started interning for a non-profit community based organization.

learned of my community's health and physician disparities. decided to shadow doctors in the uc davis health system. i've been shadowing internal medicine residents and a doc since nov 2010, and attend free health workshops at a city college. been able to bring out doctors to talk to the youth group in my organization as well. medicine is a life's passion i'm welling to dedicate myself to. want to become a doc to provide health services for the underserved.
----
in regards to csueb's formal academic changer:

i applied for the formal career changer track in jan of this year, and finally saw my status adjusted to "accepted-clear" about a week ago. (meaning, it takes a while so you should apply asap. it's true, the long wait it's because the grad admission office is slow! they didn't lose my transcripts.)

i considered the sf state's post-bac but didn't apply last minute. i think the cost of living in sf, the weather, and the traffic turned me off. the program is quite expensive as well. i've heard from many that csueb is a good school and beautiful campus.

ambition and compassion will take you far. most med students and residents i have met don't believe in smartness, but have a HUGE drive. hayward may be a small, non-lively town but that doesn't matter, you're there for schooling. if you haven't come to turn with studying the majority of your time and putting school first, i suggest you take classes through open university before committing to a post-bac.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied online on March 20 (and wrote a personal statement), and just got the message online that I was accepted today. It took a few weeks for them to acknowledge receiving my transcripts, but once that was complete, it took about a week for them to accept me. :)

I have looked at the my.csueastbay website. It says my transcript status is initiated. Does it mean that they have received my transcripts?

I have looked at the my.csueastbay website. It says my transcript status is initiated. Does it mean that they have received my transcripts?

If you see the request for your transcripts on your "To Do" list in the left-hand column, then they have not received and processed them. Once they are processed, they will not appear on the "To Do" list at all. Mine said "initiated" for a long time before they finally received and processed my transcripts. I think "initiated" just means that they have requested the transcripts from you. They take a long time to process the transcripts, though, so I would give them a month or so after you request your transcripts to acknowledge that they have been received.

Hi everyone,

I've also applied to this Fall 2011 as an academic enhancer. According to an e-mail from Dr. Wambuguh, they strongly advise applying before May or June since it's on rolling admissions. It also emphasizes that your app will remain stagnant until all your transcripts are in, so you should get them in ASAP.
Hopefully I get in on time... I have to wait on 6 different transcripts -_- and one school is refusing to release mine due to a hold I'm petitioning. arghhhh

Last edited:
Hi,

I applied back in late Feb. as an Academic enhancer for Fall 2011. Only this week did I notice on the website that I had been accepted. I have a few questions for those that have done the program or have more knowledge about it than I do.

1) Is the program for Academic enhancers one year? They've updated their website since I applied and it says one year now. However, I thought I read that Academic enhancers are part of a 2 year program?

2) Looking at housing in the area is kind of daunting. For someone that doesn't have a lot of money, are there any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!:)

From what I understand, the AE program is minimally one year. You are required to take at least 44 units, which can be done in 3-4 quarters. After that additional electives are optional. could someone in the program confirm this?

As for housing, it depends on your price range, standards, and distance. How far are you willing to drive? Im local and very familiar with the area. The immediate area (Hayward/Castro Valley/San Lorenzo/San Leandro/ Union City) is somewhat cheaper though from my search are mostly older housing. Last year I was trying to find a 1-BR apartment with a max range of $1000/mo. To split with a roommate (so pay$500/mo) and it was very limited. I can't comment on on campus housing .. CSUEB is largely a commuter school so I don't even know anyone that has actually lived on campus.

Hey.

I just got admitted for Fall 2011 today too. Are any females interested in being possible house mates? IF so, PM me and we can discuss further :)

Hey.

I just got admitted for Fall 2011 today too. Are any females interested in being possible house mates? IF so, PM me and we can discuss further :)

Congrats,

I will also attend the program in the Fall. :)

I was just wondering if anyone knows the success rate of students getting into medical school etc after completing this program. I dont seem to see this information on their website. and does this program offer an MCAT prep course like some other post bac programs?

I was just wondering if anyone knows the success rate of students getting into medical school etc after completing this program. I dont seem to see this information on their website. and does this program offer an MCAT prep course like some other post bac programs?

This program doesn't offer an MCAT prep course like the UC Post bacs. The MCAT is on your own. The only thing this program does is to give students a second opportunity to work on their GPA for academic enhancers and students who want to change their career to medicine. Just because you complete this program doesn't guarantee you'll get admitted to medical school. Same with other programs like special masters and UC post bac. With a high GPA (>3.75), it shows you're serious about medical school despite what you had during your undergraduate years.

Dr. Oscar Wambuguh is a pre health advisor. He helps students to do what they need to get into medical school.

I met with Dr. Wambuguh last week and he is REALLY REALLY nice and welcoming. The nice thing about this program is that not only do you take classes with just post-bacc students but that you also only have classes Tu/Th. leaving MWF and weekend to study/work etc. I know the downer is that the MCAT prep is not offered but he gave me a ton of links with advice on how to study and what class I should take if any.

Also I asked about success rate which as of now he doesn't have any since it's a fairly new program. But there have been students who have gone to med school through the informal program from years before the formal program started.

As long as you submit your transcripts on Time (meaning before JULY 1st deadline) than you are accepted....as of to date he has accepted 87 students and yes this may seem a lot but he says over half of the students drop to go to other post baccs theyve been accepted to or other reasons.

Hope this helps :)

@ Citipark, I noticed you threaded in the UC Post bac, and you are threading here, I applied to both programs, did you also apply to both? and did you get accepted into CSUEB?

@ Citipark, I noticed you threaded in the UC Post bac, and you are threading here, I applied to both programs, did you also apply to both? and did you get accepted into CSUEB?

Hey Donchissy, Yes I did apply to both, for the CSUEB he said that as long as I turn in my final transcript with my degree (Im currently a senior and graduate June 10th) that I will be accepted into the program. Im also applying to SF State as back up as well, because UCSF has only 8 spots this year so I know its gonna be hard to get in..wish they had more spots open :(

From what I understand, the AE program is minimally one year. You are required to take at least 44 units, which can be done in 3-4 quarters. After that additional electives are optional. could someone in the program confirm this?

As for housing, it depends on your price range, standards, and distance. How far are you willing to drive? Im local and very familiar with the area. The immediate area (Hayward/Castro Valley/San Lorenzo/San Leandro/ Union City) is somewhat cheaper though from my search are mostly older housing. Last year I was trying to find a 1-BR apartment with a max range of $1000/mo. To split with a roommate (so pay$500/mo) and it was very limited. I can't comment on on campus housing .. CSUEB is largely a commuter school so I don't even know anyone that has actually lived on campus.

In regard to housing, I live pretty close to CSUEB and the rent here is $875 for one bedroom. I believe there is still one vacant spot in this apartment and the address is 920 fletcher lane, Hayward. You should check it out.

Is anyone applying for financial aid for the academic enhancer program? I'm confused as to whether we should report to fafsa that we are fifth year undergraduate or graduate students. It looks like graduate students receive about twice as much aid through stafford loans.

Is anyone applying for financial aid for the academic enhancer program? I'm confused as to whether we should report to fafsa that we are fifth year undergraduate or graduate students. It looks like graduate students receive about twice as much aid through stafford loans.

I think we're considered as a graduate, because the program is a Graduate Program.

Couple of questions for those attending CSUEB this Fall:

1. Are there specific classes that we should enroll in for the cohort? For example, I am looking in the Fall 2011 schedule, and see only one Chemistry 1101 lecture class. I thought there would be classes specifically for us Post Bac students to take together as a cohort? Should I just enroll in the one Chem class that I see in the schedule?

2. Have any of you been able to find your enrollment appointment day/time via MyCSUEB? I can't find any enrollment time, but I know enrollment starts next Monday.

Thanks for any help!

hi everyone,

I applied recently for this program may 9th and I am also waiting to see if they got my transcripts which i sent like 2 weeks ago. Is there anyone coming from the southern california area? :)

Hey guys I am finishing up the CSU East Bay Post-bacc enhancer program in about 2 weeks.I have just finished my mcat and I am going to apply to to medical school right after I get the committee letter through the program.

Although the program is relatively new, when it was an informal program, there was a lot of people that got into excellent programs such as the JMP program at UCSF. It is also the cheapest post-bacc program out there. In addition to having guaranteed classes that are just for post-bacc students (unlike the UC postbacc programs) you are also given many resources through the program such as a committee letter, pre-health seminar, personal statement workshops, and opportunities to post-bacc specific programs such as the active memebrship in the PHAA(Pre-Health Academic Association: http://initiativeforcommunitywellness.tumblr.com/ ) a club made for postbacc by the postbacc students, opportunity in the the student run clinic (Initiative for Community Wellness) that was created by the post bacc students as well, being hired as a TA by the University for the Post bacc program and much more.

I am very confident of getting into medical school because of this program.
If you guys have specific questions about the program feel free to email [email protected].

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm getting to this really late, and I understand that CSUEB has a Jun 30th deadline - is an essay required for admission to the 2011 Fall program? the essay from the CSUMentor application site is
Write a brief statement (500 words/3500 characters or less including punctuation, but not spaces) describing your reason(s) for pursuing graduate or postbaccalaureate study.
but i've read on this thread that an essay is not required (nor are recs) - only transcripts.

any leads?
thanks!

I'm getting to this really late, and I understand that CSUEB has a Jun 30th deadline - is an essay required for admission to the 2011 Fall program? the essay from the CSUMentor application site is

but i've read on this thread that an essay is not required (nor are recs) - only transcripts.

any leads?
thanks!

Just put not required. :D
Good luck!

How long did it take for you guys to hear back? I submitted my app on April 12th but I still have not heard any news. My transcripts were cleared on 19th.

kb1204, I think I saw the acceptance online at mycsueb around two weeks after my transcripts cleared, and got the letter in the mail about two weeks after that (a month after transcripts cleared).

How long did it take for you guys to hear back? I submitted my app on April 12th but I still have not heard any news. My transcripts were cleared on 19th.

I submitted mine on April 18th, and I'm still waiting too.

kb1204, I think I saw the acceptance online at mycsueb around two weeks after my transcripts cleared, and got the letter in the mail about two weeks after that (a month after transcripts cleared).

I'm not sure when my transcripts were cleared since I didn't monitor the status everyday. The transcripts have been cleared for a week now, and I'm still waiting =[

I received my acceptance letter yesterday. I expressed my intent to register (online). Judging by the start dates of a couple of classes I've scoped out, it looks like classes start on September 21. I started sending transcripts in January, until about April. I submitted my application in February. I sent my residency questionnaire in March.

A little PSA:

"PPHAP certificate students have federal loan eligibility for 12 calendar months only, starting with the first term where aid is received. Students in the two-year program can consider a credit-based private education loan if they qualify."

This is from the Post-Baccalaureate Status Form.

Last edited:
what is the residency questionaire? i was never asked to send it in. is this why its taking so long for me to get a decision back?

what is the residency questionaire? i was never asked to send it in. is this why its taking so long for me to get a decision back?

Even though I sent my Residency Questionnaire twice, until I got accepted I would receive almost weekly letters from CSUEB requesting I send this questionnaire. So if you needed to submit it, I'm confident they'll be asking you for it.

I don't know why I was required to send it, but should you feel the need to make sure, go to http://www20.csueastbay.edu/prospective/cost-and-financial-aid/residency/.

Who has been accepted into this program and plans to go there, I have some questions for you

Donchissy, I can try to answer your questions, though I'm probably not the most knowledgeable.

Last edited:
Hey everyone.

I'm going to CSUEB this fall to start my post-bacc work as an academic enhancer. *sigh* the UCs were just too selective...oh well
CSUEB is just as good, and besides, I don't need someone to hold my hand through an intensive MCAT course..

I've logged in and searched for classes, but I cannot ADD them... it does say my official transcript is still on hold. Interesting...I requested my school to send over my transcript(s) twice. Does the admission office really lose that much mail?

Anybody experiencing the same problem?--that they can't add classes just yet?

I've logged in and searched for classes, but I cannot ADD them... it does say my official transcript is still on hold. Interesting...I requested my school to send over my transcript(s) twice. Does the admission office really lose that much mail?

Anybody experiencing the same problem?--that they can't add classes just yet?

They often take awhile to process things. Reviewing the transcripts is, my guess, the longest process since the transcripts are the only thing that tells them who you are (no LORs, no statements required in the app). And yes, I had the same problem; I sent transcripts in January and in March, even called them to confirm receipt, and the status of them in MyCSUEB never changed from "initiated". I stopped checking until I got a letter of acceptance IN JUNE! So you're lucky, in my opinion, that it even updated to "on hold".

If you're accepted, they might have you do or submit other things... When all those things are processed, then you'll be able to add classes.

Also, when adding classes, you'll only be able to add classes that are "Self Support", which are for post-bacc students and the only ones that will have "Add Section" next to them. Here's a list of the needed courses and the order in which to take them. The Physics course is non-calculus-based, so calculus is not a corequisite, and therefore not required until Summer 2012.

UPDATE: Biology 1401 is available to be added as of 6/21/11.

Last edited:
I checked this morning and have been accepted!

I am SO excited to get back into the sciences!!!!

Will see y'all in the fall!

Has anyone applied for the winter 2012 quarter? Have you been accepted?

Also, do any of you guys have information on financial aid or loan amounts we can take during this program? I need to start planning my finances and the website hardly gives any information.

Hey everyone,

I got accepted to this program for the Fall of 2012. I'm really excited about it. Has anyone else been accepted to the program?

Is this just for academic enhancer, or can this be for career changer as well?

Is this just for academic enhancer, or can this be for career changer as well?

It's both.
If you're applying for as an academic enhancer, you can apply for Fall or Winter, but if you're applying as a career changer, they only accept applicants in the Fall.