CSPM or Scholl?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbarat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have interviewed at 5 schools now. I am from the midwest and really dislike the weather. I see myself settling down and practicing some place warm along the west coast (I've had an internship in Irvine, CA and I fell in love with southern California--note: I don't want to go to Pomona due to it being too new--). However, I am really struggling deciding where to go to school. I've read tons of posts where people state, "choose the best school for you," "pick what feels right," etc. That makes sense....however, I cannot decide between Scholl college and California School of Podiatric Medicine. I do not have a family of my own, so location close to home doesn't matter. Scholl is a pretty good school from what I hear, however the winters and the actual school's location will be pretty bad. CSPM is in San Fran (which isn't southern cali by any stretch of the imagination) yet I've heard nothing about the quality of education I would get.

Does anyone have any input on CSPM vs. Scholl?

CSPM has no on campus housing and the traveling seemed to make me nervous. I enjoy running, though, and CSPM would have great weather for outdoor things such as that (if I ever have free time). Scholl seemed easier to get to from an apartment and less stressful due to NOT being in San Fran. Scholl does have better facilities too, but I'm just wondering if CSPM would be a better location and make it easier for me to get a residency in southern cali? Can anyone give me their opinion on this? It's so difficult deciding because there is almost NO information on CSPM on here! Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on getting in!!! I choose CSPM based on early clinical exposure, (people question whether it's beneficial or not, but I wanted it) and small class size. I had never been to the Bay area before my interview trip so I went out there a couple of days before my interview and I found it extremely easy to get around using public transportation. On my interview we (interviewees) hung out with some third year students during one of their clinical rotations. They were very informative and all of them endorsed the education they had received from CSPM thus far. The scholarships are great if you qualify for them and they are renewable.
If the outdoorsy life style is something you want the Bay area is a great place for that year round.
The bay area seems like a great place to blow off steam, although those times may be few and far between. I do know they have implemented cumulative weekly tests covering all subjects you are currently taking. Sounds like a good way to keep people on track and tie things together.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have interviewed at 5 schools now. I am from the midwest and really dislike the weather. I see myself settling down and practicing some place warm along the west coast (I've had an internship in Irvine, CA and I fell in love with southern California--note: I don't want to go to Pomona due to it being too new--). However, I am really struggling deciding where to go to school. I've read tons of posts where people state, "choose the best school for you," "pick what feels right," etc. That makes sense....however, I cannot decide between Scholl college and California School of Podiatric Medicine. I do not have a family of my own, so location close to home doesn't matter. Scholl is a pretty good school from what I hear, however the winters and the actual school's location will be pretty bad. CSPM is in San Fran (which isn't southern cali by any stretch of the imagination) yet I've heard nothing about the quality of education I would get.

CSPM has no on campus housing and the traveling seemed to make me nervous. I enjoy running, though, and CSPM would have great weather for outdoor things such as that (if I ever have free time). Scholl seemed easier to get to from an apartment and less stressful due to NOT being in San Fran. Scholl does have better facilities too, but I'm just wondering if CSPM would be a better location and make it easier for me to get a residency in southern cali? Can anyone give me their opinion on this? It's so difficult deciding because there is almost NO information on CSPM on here! Thanks!!

I was told CSPM has the lowest academic dismissal rate of all the schools. I believe its due to their weekly tests. From what I understood, there is 1 test every monday that covers all of the classes you are taking. The test is cumulative of the previous 2 weeks.

The good part is you cant bomb a big midterm test since the tests are more like weekly quizzes and have the ability to identify and come back from your weaknesses. The bad part is you never get a weekend off without worrying about an exam the coming monday.

Please correct me if im wrong on the above info.

P.S. Last year they had a 97% residency placement rate. 1 person person failed to obtain a residency. It says "ineligible for placement" for the person who did not get a residency. You can PM me and I will email you the Xcel file with the residency placements.

Last edited by a moderator:
CSPM is not the only one with weekly tests. more rigorous schools (for whatever reason there is not parity in the pod schools--those who transferred between schools or taught in different ones can better attest to that) have more "drop out" rates. 97 percent residency placement sounds great but def look into where they are placing.

i wouldn't base a school on weather alone. you can do a residency or practice in a nice warm place once you graduate. ease of getting to and from campus may be a good indicator, but again there are ways around that.

ultimately, go to the school you will do the best in. a place like SCPM with a tough curriculum may be harder to "get that A " verses another school. Then consider scholarships-if school A gives you more money and seems more welcoming than school B, consider that. As far as clinical experience goes, I believe many schools (and the ones you are considering) both are pushing to have students gain more clinical experience than previous years. if you want to practice in Cali, and you are not a resident, it may be in your interest to be in a school in that state. a stand alone school verses one that is attached to a MD or DO--do you care? another factor to think about.finally, the least of your concerns is the reputation of the school. how far that carries in the real world is up to debate, but if that matters to you, look into it.

congrats on getting accepted and no matter what school you choose, you will get a good education-good luck!

CSPM is not the only one with weekly tests.
True, but CSPM is the only school that has one exam that covers all of the courses being taken. The exam is administered once a week. I did not interview at all of the schools though so please correct me if im wrong.

Thank you all for your thoughts thus far. I interviewed at DMU, Temple, Ohio, CSPM, and Scholl. I felt "right"....at least the "most right" at Scholl. But I got the most excited when I got my acceptance from CSPM. Haha. I'm not sure what that means. But I kind of felt excited about CSPM because 1) it's California (however the school IS in Oakland, not san fran for some years and some classes...and san fran still isn't even that warm) and I've always lived in the midwest and 2) because they're capping their class at 52 I believe (at least that's what David Tran emailed me.) I've heard Scholl is more prestigious and is up there in quality of education...but they let in 100 and some. (and believe me...every school says they're the best and are believable...and different people living in different parts of the world claim a different school is better--so there's no way of ranking ANY of these schools, hehe). I know weather isn't the only factor, and neither should be traveling to and from school. But it just seems that at Scholl you can live relatively close to campus (either on...or at the Woodlands right next to the school, or even nearby off campus apartments) while at CSPM, the 3rd years I talked to were all married and lived in nicer suburbs about 40 minutes commuting. I really couldn't do that my first year because that's about 2 hours of studying, relaxing, or sleep that you're wasting.

My goal is just to get a good education, enjoy life, and get a good job at the end of it all...some place where it's warm. I just know that (from my understanding of the info online and at the interview) at CSPM you can only rotate through a handful of places during your 3rd or 4th years for your clerkship/externships. I believe they are all in San Fran, AZ, UT, or there abouts. At Scholl, your externships can include a huge list of places...such as Long Beach, CA and other southern cities in CA. That just makes me believe that at Scholl, with southern CA externships, that might allow me to do that and make connections there....potentially landing a residency position in southern CA. What do you guys think? Am I wrong? Are there ways of rotating in southern CA at CSPM? Because it kind of seemed there were just opportunities in San Fran. San Fran is really interesting...I'm not sure if that's where I want to end up though. Especially since I had a few creepers following me in Oakland...in broad day light so that's kind of scary in itself! =) Thanks!

i need help on deciding too. May I ask what do and don't you like abt CSPM?

What do and don't I like about CSPM:

Do-- small class sizes, early clinical experience, pretty decent facilities (minus the anatomy class in the basement type area), only about 52 students capped for class of 2014, one of the oldest podiatry schools--means they've survived, one of the only 2 pod schools in all of the west and California--meaning a lot of people in the west should have heard of this school, they offer you 5,000 entrance scholarship, David Tran is super super nice and all other faculty I met were extremely nice, nice weather, it seem extremely easy to get a residency in San Fran once you've graduated from CSPM--so that's something to think about if San Fran or the surrounding area is where you want to practice and/or end up.

Don't-- Class rooms seemed like what I had at my undergrad (we had about 300 graduates...so tiny tiny! Other schools I interviewed at had big lecture halls while CSPM had just small classrooms with white tables), anatomy lab was outside and you open a metal door in concrete to walk down some concrete steps to get to it in a basement type thing, extremely small library, I'm not sure if they even have a cafeteria because we went off campus to eat, extremely dinky places for students to hang out between classes, no on campus or even nearby housing from what I understand, travel from Oakland to San Fran (during our interview they had us take a cab from St. Mary's in San Fran to campus in Oakland and it took about 40 minutes).

I hope that helps??

Hi, I'm a first year at CSPM and I'll try to help answer your questions. First off, I only interviewed at CSPM because I loved it here. Choosing a school based on if you like it's location is VERY important. It's a great stress reliever when you get overwhelmed with school, cause at least you know there are things to do. I'm from SoCal,so moving to Norcal was a good change of scenery.

Your first year, you will be exclusively in Oakland not SanFran. Your second year, you start clinicals (and let me tell you, early clinicals are SO nice because they let you get out of the boring classroom material.) Clinics will be in both San Fran and Oakland, so you will have to commute at certain times during the year depending on your rotation schedule. 3rd year, from what I understand, you spend a lot of time over in San Fran so many students move over there. and 4th year, you can choose to stay in San Fran or an externship elsewhere.

Our class sizes are very small so that makes it VERY beneficial to all of us since we get our professor's full attention. You really are able to build a relationship with your professors because of this. Think about it, 1 professor for a class of 52 vs 150+. My class has 47 students, last years class has like 39 i think. It's easy to get their help if you need it too. They're all really nice!

It's true we do have weekly tests which cover ALL material every monday. The tests are based on 2 weeks worth of material (current week plus the last week). This is very tough and stressful because we don't really have a weekend off, but If you stay on top of your work during the week, you can manage. My classmates and I always talk about how much material there is to cover, and we always think it's too much, but somehow we all manage to do well.

We have 2 cafeterias in Oakland and many restaurants and delis to eat around the school too, if you're concerned about that. You can choose from BBQ, Pizza, Mediterranean, Japanese, Chinese, American etc, all walking distance! if you drive 2 min away theres even more!

Housing is not far away. If you're concerned about whether or not you need a car, the answer is no. Public transportation is great! There are apartments right next to school which is all walking distance. I live 10 minutes away from campus in emeryville. Other students live 10 min away in Jack London Square or Alameda. Commutes not bad at all. Do keep in mind though, housing here in Okalnd and SF is expensive compared to other schools. You're paying for the experience, weather, and overall greatness of California! Some people don't find this worth it, but I do.

At this point, its all about self motivation in your studies because this is your career you're pursuing. Nobody can push you to do anything anymore. If you want something you'll have to work at it. With that said, you'll get a great education no matter which school you choose, which brings me back to one of my original points of location, location, location! If you come to this school, you will understand why CSPM is so special. Its something that cannot be explained online. I choose CSPM and would not think twice about it if I had to do it again.
Good luck with your decision!

Getting around isn't an issue. I live in Concord, 20 mile from campus and it takes me 30 minutes door to door. Weekly tests aren't too bad, I always took Sunday off and I did really well my first year. Cafeteria gives discount to students -10 percent. There isn't a whole lot of downtime between classes, but the student lounge on the 3rd floor is decent.
Facilities I can't vouch for. The hospital is in charge of facilities and it leaves a lot to be desired.

PM me if you have any more questions.

If you options such as DMU and CSPM, I would suggest avoiding Scholl at all costs. They are a school that has one concern, and only one concern:money. They, and by they, I mean most of the staff and administration do not care about you as a student. They care about their pocketbook. They are no longer a top rated school.

If you options such as DMU and CSPM, I would suggest avoiding Scholl at all costs. They are a school that has one concern, and only one concern:money. They, and by they, I mean most of the staff and administration do not care about you as a student. They care about their pocketbook. They are no longer a top rated school.

Here we go again with people just creating an account or a new account to bash SCPM again.

I'm guessing the new curriculum changes have made things a lot more difficult then they used to be.

sounds like someone failed neuro....

and just so you know...Scholl tuition is 27350 (DMU is 27320). Chicago medical school is 44341. So if anything, CMS students should be complaining, not you. So if any of you CMS'ers are reading this, thank you for offsetting the cost of my podiatry school education (suckas!) :laugh:

Can you elaborate on your response?

Are you saying that the administrators and staff are financially tied to Scholl through some sort of kickback system? If so, wouldn't they benefit from NOT FAILING students so more return in the coming years?

I don't see why you are "bashing" Scholl. If you are going to do so, please include actual examples. I'm not a Scholl student or anything, but I'm sure every school has it's people who care and people who don't- that is Life for you! As far as money is concerned, yes every school needs it, but it is not their top priority (You are just being silly).

Getting back on topic now, I think you should talk to students who attend each School. Students are very honest about the positives and negatives. Best of Luck to you! :)