crna making 120000 to 180000

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
well said mr happy clown.

about ky suns comments,,

Your comments just exudes with ignorance... Why dont you sit in a med school pharmacology class or anatomy class and rotate through surgery and IM and you tell me about your nursing degree.. Nurses are just that nurses..... I dont know if you are at UK or not since i noticed you are from lexington.. but in the almighty words of Paul Kearney Director of trauma at UK, " If you wanted to be CAPTAIN you should have gone to CAPTAIN school"

Members don't see this ad.

First, I cant even belive that this thread is still going (yes I see the irony in me adding to it). Secondly, Clown -- I admire those with the intention of expanding their knowledge base and filling the "gaps" in there education. That being said, dont slip into the trap that sooo many young med students fall into by thinking that they NOW know whats going on since they have been "enlightened" as to the other side. Your views of every health care profession will change many times over and untill you mature as a person (not an insult -- usually around 30 or older) you will look back and laugh at you past opinions and stances -- trust me, I know what I am talking about here. Mean while, start using your manners and dont burn bridges.
thanx

•••quote:•••Originally posted by racerx:
An electrician can wire a house, but if I were to want something more complex performed (say, the design and building of a digital communications system prototype), I'd bet that the Electrical engineer could perform more competently.

One issue I haven't seen debated on this thread is that of how well a CRNA can handle sudden pathological occurances (i.e. hyperthermia) relative to an MDA. If I am having a complex, major surgery, you can bet I would want a person that knows the physiology, pathology, and treatment of anything that will or may happen to me before, during, or after surgery. <Mmm...run on sentence> :p

To me, the potential complexity of a case should be a deciding factor in who gets to do the anesthesia.[/QB]••••My undergraduate degree is in electrical/computer engineering. I would go one step further than you and say that not only would an electrician be less competent than an electrical engineer for the task you described, but they would have NO CLUE how to do something like that. They dont receive training in communications theory, digital logic design, analog electronics design, etc. I'm not trying to knock electricians, but its just not something that fits their training and experience.

For the electrical engineer vs electrician, its a pretty black and white issue. But for aneshthesiology, it would seem to be a much grayer area comparatively. If the analogy between engineers and MDAs vs CRNAs was as black and white, then not only would there be massive evidence to support it, but there would be a national outcry against CRNAs. This lack of outcry by the established medical community (i.e. not just med students or premeds) speaks alot to me that although they might feel slightly threatened by CRNAs, that they dont necessarily feel too strongly that they are absolutely unable to run anesthesia on their own. Because if they did, the AMA/anesthesia organizations would issue strong statements about CRNAs putting patients at risk, and that is exactly what we have NOT seen.

I dont know much about aneshthesia, so I was hoping a resident or attending in that area would post on this thread.

In this age of evidence-based medicine, we need more outcomes research showing (if any) difference in patient outcomes between those treated by MDAs vs CRNAs. Until we have strong evidence that patients are clearly not doing as well under CRNA supervision, then all this arguing about who has better training is moot because the public/govt doesnt care. You've got to "show them the money" so to speak in order to enact any real change.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last Christmas I accompanied a medical caravan to rural Mexico. On the trip, I met a CRNA. Knowing little about the profession, I asked her to compare her job to that of a MDA. Her words: "I know the what, they know the why."

Her words.

Hi there everyone
I just wanted to say that there is one comment I am really having a hard time with. The fact that a few people are saying one goes to nursing school because they cannot get into med school. Well that is FALSE. I don't understand where one would get such information. I am entering my senior year in the school of Nursing at SUNY Buffalo. I have also been pre med since the day I started college. BS in nursing is just like any other major, such as bio, psych, etc. Would you pick bio AFTER you got rejected from med school???? UMM no. You pick your UG major like you 1st or 2nd year, I don't know of any freshmen who apply to med school, unless a very few file early assurance. So no, unless you have another degree and apply to med school, get turned down THEN decided on nursing that is the only way I see someone going to nursing school AFTER they get turned down from med school. But USUALLY you would have been in your program far before you were even ready to apply to med school. Just thought I would fill you in on some facts!
Also, I'm not understanding the whole comment on nurses having no basic sciences, like pre meds do??????
Well I can tell you coming from a Nursing and Pre med, my pre med sciences ie bio 201, 200, physics, chem, etc are simplistic compared to my nursing classes such as health assessment, primary care. etc. Also, to get INTO the nursing program there are like 14 prereqs. For anyone concerned pre-nursing, pre-pharmacy, pre-PT, pre-ES, and pre-med(if they decided to take other sciences not required to get into med school), ALL TOGETHER take the same anatomy, biochem pharm, Microbio 300, Physiology 300, patho 412, etc.
But I also do not agree that nursing is as hard as medical school itself, that is just absurd to say that. Obviously anyone should know that MD/DO's have way more knowledge and training in medicine. I'm not sure about the whole CRNA issue, because that is not what I am doing and I will not comment on it since I am not educated on the matter.
But I don't think people should belittle nurses or the work of nurses. Yes I want to be a doctor but not everyone can or should be. Just like we need people to fix cars or make food, etc. It does not make anyone less a person than someone else now does it? Think about that.
Well good luck to everyone and I hope to have shed some information.

Oh yes and I almost forgot.
I also thought the post about "part-time" med school was funny. I don't know if the person was joking or serious. He/she could not be serious because they would know a little bit more about med school if they wanted to go. No offense, but just uncertain to where such an idea would come from.
Good luck:)

Bandit, because someone does not agree with you makes them neither immature nor wrong...I have disagreed with you on many occasions. I suggest you take a less condescending attitude toward those who wish to be constructive with their approach to medical education...such as myself.
If you choose not to return to school, that is your choice. I could have easily have been the one heading a PAC to further practice rights for PT's...now I see why that would have been an unwise decision. I truly believe there should be NO SHORT CUTS...and lawyers will look for that approach during lawsuits. It takes one MD/DO to refute the claims of any mid-level practitioner on the stand.
As for my age...I am over 30...and who really cares? Are you gonna ask for my sign next?

First, to MacGyver: Perhaps without knowing it, you actually asked a couple of different questions, so I'll address each separately.

"are you of the opinion that in a clinical environment, CRNAs can do everything that an MDA can do?"

The answer to this question lies in current events. The fact is (whether you like it or not) CRNA's ARE doing everything MDA's do in clinical environments. There are CRNA only practices out there where there is not an MDA around for 100 miles, and they are handling all the cases that come along. They are handling these cases safely, without fanfare, and without problems they cannot handle.

"Do you think there are circumstances when only an MDA should be allowed to run the anesthesia (i.e. very complex, serious cases) or do you think CRNAs can handle (on their own) absolutely anything that the hospital can dish out to them?"

This is essentially the same question as the first, and the answer is the same. However, I'd be interested to know what "very complex, serious cases" you think are beyond the ability of CRNA's to handle on their own. Open hearts? I do some nearly every week. Carotids (which can be more challenging that hearts)? Three or four a week. Extensive intercranial cases? I've done quite a few of those. Transplants? I don't personally do them, because my group does not do transplant anesthesia, but I know CRNA's here where I live that do them as needed. None of the surgeons here have any objection whatsoever to CRNA's providing anesthesia. They know CRNA's can do the job and do it well. So, exactly what kinds of cases are you referring to?

"I'm referring to the average CRNA vs the average MDA, with years of experience being roughly equal."

This is an interesting qualification. Your statement assumes a happy state of affairs that only exists in silly hypothetical questions. That state of affairs is "all other things being equal." But all other things are never equal, are they? Personally, I know both MDA's and CRNA's that I would not trust to water my lawn. On the other hand, I know both MDA's and CRNA's I'd be very comfortable having provide anesthesia for my toddler (the supreme compliment I could pay). The issue is can CRNA's handle the unexpected, the unusual, or the extreme. Again, the answer to your question lies in current events. They are doing so, every day, across the US.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The discriminator is experience. The more situations you find yourself in, the better you are able to handle future situations. This maxim applies to physicians, whether they be anesthesiologists, family practitioners, or surgeons. It also applies to nurses, whether they be CRNA's, FNP's or staff RN's. As you gain experience, you have a broader base of knowledge on which to draw when the unexpected happens in the future.

Posted by Mr Happy Clown Guy

"The intensity of training far outweighs PT and correct me if I am wrong, PT outweighs nursing. "

Really? How much anatomy, beyond musculoskeletal anatomy did you study in your PT program? How much pharmacology, how much pathophysiology? Did you study the cardiovascular system, or the endocrine system in your PT program? I really don't know the answers to these questions, and I am curious. I studied all of this, and more, in nursing school, then in far greater depth in my master's program. Did what I studied in nursing school equal medical school? Of course not. But it gave me a base of knowledge on which to build to become a good nurse, and later a CRNA. Just as medical school gives you a good base of knowledge to build upon to become a good physician. The ingredient that turns one from a graduate into a good, competent practitioner is experience.

Kevin McHugh, CRNA

•••quote:•••Originally posted by KMcHugh:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The discriminator is experience. The more situations you find yourself in, the better you are able to handle future situations. This maxim applies to physicians, whether they be anesthesiologists, family practitioners, or surgeons. It also applies to nurses, whether they be CRNA's, FNP's or staff RN's. As you gain experience, you have a broader base of knowledge on which to draw when the unexpected happens in the future.
•••••Experience is a very useful tool to have under one's belt. However, it can only take you so far. Experience proves well when you are faced with a situation that is similar to what you have seen before. However, there are only a certain amount of weirdomas in the population, such that, regardless of how many patients you have seen in the past, you will not have seen all of the pathology out there. Despite having many years in practice, you may never see a Cornelia de Lange or a Diamond-Blackfan until the day that they walk into your office/hospital. When faced with something that you have never seen before, you need to have the didactic knowledge to understand the pathogenesis of the disease and theory behind the treatment. Experience will serve you well by giving you confidence in your ablities but it will not make up for a lack of knowledge. If you don't know it, you can't treat it. You may be able to treat some symptoms, but you can't treat the disease.

I've been watching this debate over the last few days and finally have decided to put in my two cents worth. First of all, I am not a doctor (at least not the medical sort I have a PhD) nor a nurse, so let's just say I'm an impartial third party. Let me just say that following this debate has been entertaining to say the least, but surprising as well. I have been pleasantly surprised at the eloquence and the intelligence of some of the nurses that have posted their replies on this thread. On the other hand I was unpleasantly surprised to see the bitter, unbending, and sometimes even hateful nature of some of the posts made by doctors or soon to be doctors. Goodness,. I guess spending thousands of dollars on med school certainly does not teach politeness, common sense, or the ability to listen to others' point of view. The interesting thing here is that these doctors are the ones who "listen" to patients and make important decisions that patient's life or death. Pretty darn scary.
I
n of the post "drfeelgood" points out that doctors need to make the public see that services of the CRNA are not as good as those provided by the MDA. Well, I can tell you that I am one of the public and I am not so convinced that I would let any of these doctors touch me with a ten foot pole.

In one of the posts "Klebsiella" says that he will not look at research published by the association of CRNAs because it's not worth looking at. And I guess that Klebsiella has the knowledge (or at least thinks he/she does) to make that decision. Geez, not only is he a doctor but he has the ability to make judgements on things he/she refuses to look at. Gosh I wish I was that smart or maybe it's just telepathy. Also klebsiella believes that "Nurses in general, and CRNA's in particular lack the understanding and wisdom behind their actions" Actually based on their "prose" I believe that Mr. McHugh understands most of what he's doing far far better than klebsiella. And how exactly might klebsiella know what nurses know and don't know. He must know everything that goes on in CRNA schools and hospitals to make statements like that. Sadly, I believe that some of these folks will have some catching up to do in the real world to do. It's a nasty world out there especially if you're an unpleasant know-it-all. I also found the post made by Hopkins 2010 very intriguing. Especially this part "Since there is no hard evidence one way or the other, could it be possible that you don?t really need an MD to do anesthesia" I was wondering that myself yesterday. I was thinking more the lines of a plumber?.who certainly knows how to fix leaky faucets but I don't think he knows much about fluid dynamics, he does get paid pretty well and he could care less about the theory. I suspect that there is a point here. I know I know all the doctors will scream, "what about that 1:5000 chance that something strange comes up, a nurse can't deal with that" but I suspect that neither would a doctor. That is the nature of things which are rare. Most of the time when a problem is not common it has to be looked up or researched. Most of us don't remember facts about things that we may encounter once a decade. Or perhaps Mr. K your memory is soooo good after memorizing all your books that you can remember every disorder, even the ones that only 5 people in Alaska have. Sure. I even have a personal vignette to share with you. About 10 years ago I got sick. I was throwing up, running a fever, couldn't sleep eat, just generally miserable. So I went to the doctor, she said I had the stomach flu, I said OK and went home. However, after 4 weeks of feeling like crap I was suspecting that something else was up, but my doctor (after about 5 visits) still insisted I had the flu. Finally, my husband said this is bull***t and took me to the ER. There I found out that instead of the flu I had a collapsed lung. After almost losing my lung (since it was collapsed for a month), two weeks in the hospital and a surgery, I was much better. I had a congenital cyst that expanded very slowly and collapsed the lung over a period of 10 years. I thought about suing the doctor but I didn't. What really shocked was how my doctor would not listen to me, when I said something is seriously wrong here. Why couldn't she look up what else it might be, or realize that this was over her head, or maybe do something dramatic like listen to my chest. This is an example of a RARE case. Did my doctor with all her understanding of pathophysiology see that something was really wrong. Maybe the clue that I couldn?t sleep could have tipped her off that I was hypoxic. But the bottom line is that she could not diagnose the rare case, could you?

On the other hand if I went to a nurse practitioner, would this diagnosis have been made more quickly, because she would have realized after a couple weeks that this may be something more complex?.of course I could speculate forever. However, don't think that four years of med school makes you all knowing. It doesn't, if anything it should teach you how little you actually know and how you will have to rely on others for help.
Now, you're probably all pissed off that someone who is not an MD or "MD to be" posted on this site. But hopefully, some you can take what I said to heart. Thanks

kmiska, well put. But you have to realize that some here do NOT wish to learn or admit others may enighten them. I posted what I thought to be some advice and was rebutted with anger -- as I suspect you will. Thanx for trying though!!

kmiska,
i will make no statements about the manners or the politeness of others but i will state the following:

it is understandable to be skeptical about research published by a political group. what would you think if a doctor you knew, believed all of the research published by pfizer regarding the efficacy of one of their own drugs? studies have shown that research presented by pharmeceutical companies are horribly inaccurate and biased. why would studies published by political entities be any different? this is not to say that political entities cannot publish good research but i'm wondering why everything that's ever published puts them in a good light.

"And how exactly might klebsiella know what nurses know and don't know."
This argument can be applied to medicine as well. How do you know what we're studying? We could be studying things in much greater detail than you could ever imagine.

"I know I know all the doctors will scream, "what about that 1:5000 chance that something strange comes up, a nurse can't deal with that" but I suspect that neither would a doctor."
First, you are judging the education of both a nurse and a doctor, of which you have no knowledge (see previous statement). Secondly, who would you rather handle such a problem? Someone who has never heard of a disorder or someone who has at least read about it? Third, you would be suprised at the education of physicians. Our educational system is based on minutiae and the esoteric. We are constantly drilled with the worst case scenario so that when we are faced with the mundane, we are always considering the possible rare disease.

Finally, in regards to your personal anecdote, while it is unfortunate what happened to you, it is still an anecdote. The same could have happened if you had first seen an NP, PA or anyone else. Like you said, you could speculate forever.

Sounds like you've had a bad experience with a doctor and now you want to vent out your frustrations on this board.

In any case, I have faith in free market principles. Once RNs and others discover that with only 2 or 3 years of the lesser difficulty nurse-anesthetist graduate school, they can double or triple their salary, the market will be flooded with Crna's, thereby lowering these outrageous salaries.

Of course, if this path is as intellectually challenging and difficult as you nurses allege, then you guys don't have to worry about a thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Up to this point, I have tried to answer questions that were posed to me to the best of my ability. In answering, I've tried to be civil and polite, as well as direct and unevasive. I have done so because ultimately, we are all professionals, and should behave as such. Throughout my postings, I have repeatedly asked a couple of questions, open for anyone to answer, and I am still waiting for a response. Those questions are:

1. Why shouldn't a CRNA make the salary they do? After all, CRNA's do provide anesthesia care. They must obtain a master's degree to become CRNA's. They often incur heavy debts to attend CRNA school. Remember, most RN's who decide to attend CRNA school do so after having established a life. So, why is the base salary of CRNA's unfair? Again, I'm looking for more than "it just isn't fair," I'm looking for a logically supported line of thought that demonstrates why we should make less than what we do. As educated people, you should be able to logically support any statement you make.

2. Why should any of you, as physicians, be the arbiters of what nurses make? Obviously, I'm not referring to MD's who hire office nurses. As employers, you have the right to determine what you want to pay an RN who works directly for you. Just remember, potential applicants have the right to decide whether they want to work for you at the salary you are offering. I'm talking about the salary ranges of nurses in general. Why should physicians be the arbiters of those salary ranges?

Whether you answer those two questions or not, allow me to pose another. To those who feel that CRNA's are making too much money, what would you consider a fair salary? Remember, I am familiar with the economics of anesthesia, so I'll be ready with numbers.

Any takers?

Kevin McHugh, CRNA

KmcHugh,

•••quote:••• Essentially, what you are saying is that learned, intelligent people (like, say, physicians) deserve the incomes they receive, and more. At the same time, other, less intelligent knuckle draggers (like, say, nurses) deserve to live in poverty for having the temerity to have not attended medical school. ••••I will go one further. We, as physicians, deserve whatever it is we get. Please see the multiple threads on the lawsuit against the NRMP. Instead of lobbying together (Which CRNAs do quite well), physicians explore every possible way to substantiate slave labor and base salary. If CRNA's are able to make that kind of living, more power to em. There are certain things we might glean from collecvtice and cohesive efforts.

•••quote:••• Now, a number of points posted by Kelbsiella need answering ••••Uh Oh, now I'm in the dog house :)

•••quote:••• I?d say The Lancet is a far cry from Nature, wouldn?t you? But your comments highlight an interesting flaw with medical training. Unless research is performed and published by a physician, you seem to consider it to be worthless. ••••No I'm not saying that. But there are levels of research. There is also an abundance of it. And simply because some Nurse publishes, doesn't mean it's worth quoting. This is certainly the case here. If you continue to use this as a source, I will continue to point out how such a poor one it is.

I don't think you have to be a physician to render an excellent publication. However, as a group, there is no question that they are the standard of publication quality. Look at any copy of NEJM or Nature, and you will see enormous study, by incredibly educated individuals. Their experience and expertise make them better. Had your CRNA run this study with a more experienced and respected researcher, it might have more weight. As it stands, the study is dead weight. Continuing to site it really works to lighten the caliber of your argument immensely.

•••quote:•••But ?most? does not equate to ?all.? Your attitude is ?if it ain?t done by an MD, it ain?t worth reading.? Very thin argument. ••••Thats not what I'm saying at all. As someone with probably a little more experience in research (no disrespect intended) than you, I can easily say there are tons of Phd's for example who both work independantly and in concert with physicians to meet out prime material. CRNA's are simply not a force in medical research, and while you might find a handful of semi-newsworthy studies by CRNA's, I might find you literally millions by MDs. I can see that you seem slighted by these comments, so let me offer the following thought. Nurses are not inherently dumb. I never ever said they were. They are limited by their training, period.

•••quote:••• Exactly where do you get your knowledge of what ?nurses in general, and CRNA?s in particular? have learned? In any event, you are exactly wrong. As I pointed out in my previous post, in CRNA master?s programs (which all CRNA programs are), many of the textbooks used are the same as those used in medical school. ••••This is where your argument really goes off the deep end. I am actually more familiar with CRNA education than you might think, although I'm not at liberty to divulge how. Simply using the same text as proof of an equivalent education goes well beyong what is reasonable, and I suspect that flaky comments like this, is what attracts the ire of so many on this board. I'm not even gone dignify this comment any more than I already have. But who am I to say? I say some very irritating things myself. In fact the moderators are close to shutting my account down. Go figure.

•••quote:••• I am telling you that I learned far more than you would suggest by your ?rote repetition? comment. ••••Perhaps this comment was a bit extreme, and I'm more than willing to retract it.

•••quote:••• Like you, they have had more experience in that particular instance.? You can?t really have it both ways. If the education alone was sufficient to handle the situation, then the residents to whom I referred should have known, by virtue of education, what to do next. You can have all the education in the world, but what prepares you for ?the oddball case? is experience. Nothing more, nothing less. ••••Actually, my thinking process was really very clear. I actually stated that 'experience' goes a long way in this business. In fact, it does in many medical specialties. I'm one of a shrinking minority who actually thinks most of primary care medicine can be handled by nurse practitioners. Emergency, rare Anesthesia care is something quite different. And the fact that you think you can handle rare and life threatening Anesthesia cases at the same level of a physician is alarming. I would venture that this attitude might even put one of your patients in jeapordy one day. You might very well be good at what you do, I couldn't say, I just know you from your posts. But I do know that those who are cavalier with their skills, and turn a blind eye to their limitations, very often get bit real hard. In the case of Anesthesia care, someone might actually die.

•••quote:••• will go into these cases expecting the worst, and will mentally prepare yourself for it. ••••Again, you are very confused and missing the point. A CRNA is limited by education. Your training, and the knowledge base you receive from it are very small compared to a fully trained MD. You can 'mentally prepare yourself' but you cannot conjure up information that you have never learned. Again, this isn't a knock on CRNAs, it's merely a limitation of the radically different and inferior training they receive.

•••quote:•••Interesting comment. Do you always accept what ?we know to be intuitively true?? At one time, we knew intuitively that the world was flat, the sun rotated around the earth, and that God would never allow one of his creations to become extinct. Just a thought. ••••Interesting point. I will ponder it on philosophy rounds this afternoon. Problem is your thoughts are designed to undermine anything that is intuitively true. At some point, we must take the leap of faith (shiver). In point of fact, intutitive truth is something that we all rely on thousands of times a day. I simply don't have the time to study and publish multicollaberated studies in nature on gravity before I get out of bed in the morning. Too little funding out there for this sort of thing.

•••quote:••• One final thought for you, however. Again, you contradict yourself. Here at the end of your post, you tell me that you have the utmost respect for nurses. Yet throughout the rest of your post, you denigrate nurses, categorizing them as people will little real education, who can only perform tasks learned by rote memorization and repetition. ••••You seem to be only reading the 'denigrating' parts of my posts. I think you will find that I have had far more positive things to say about nursing care of the year than many others. My point, that I have repeated ad nausem, is that nurses are limited by their training. It is also that they are not inherently dumb. While their training certainly incorporates some knowledge base, you cant even compare it in the same breath as to what a physician recieves, and yes this extends beyond medical school.

•••quote:••• According to your post, higher levels of thought are reserved for those with MD behind their name. Respectfully, allow me to ask what are your real beliefs? ••••I place no limits on who is capable of 'higher thought.' If I have confused this issue, I apologize. You clearly have a better handle on the thinking process than many others I have engaged on this board. There are bright, level headed, expert nurses out there, that I would be very proud to work with. There are also a number of bafoon physicians. This board provides ample fodder to substantiate the latter. Rather than debate me, some of my colleagues got so worked up, that they publically called for my death, and likened me to one of the most flagitious animals in history, who perpetuated the genocide of 6 million Jews. All because they didn't agree with my posts. And this radical and sick thought was actually supported by a number of posters on this board.

The difference, again :) , comes from the training. Your average bafoon physician still has a much broader knowledge base to draw upon.

Since all of the posts tracking my forum etiquette have been locked, I will post this comment here.

Lee said in another thread:

•••quote:••• I'm going to start kicking out anyone that is an dingus and can't be nice to others -- from DavidGreen to Klebsiella. If you don't think you can be nice, pack-up. ••••I find this comment deeply troubling. Not because I am personally offended by it, but because it cripples your forums ability to function on a 'professional' level. On the one hand you rale against 'unprofessional' posting, yet have absolutely no reservation about using expletives yourself. While my posts do seem to irritate, I have not so much as uttered a four letter word here.

You do another great disservice with this comment. You blur the distinction between what is and isn't acceptable. In one breath you equate my posts, which are admittedly charged, and passionate, to another's who levied an online death threat to me, and called for a mob lynching all the while comparing me to one of histories most flagitious perpetuators of genocide. This is a real problem.

I would like to see a clear and cogent TOS published. Using 'professional' as the standard is likely to get you into muddy muddy water. My posts are no more offensive than virtually any of the filth you sanction in the lounge.

I will continue to ridicule the ridiculous. I will be cynical to the outrageous. That many of the perpetuators of stupidity have rallied together to boycott my posts isn't surprising. Truth and reality are not something easily accepted on this forum.

If my posts are not appreciated and unwanted, I am more than willing to cease using your site, just say the word, and I will bow out graciosly.

Another one of your moderators did see the difference (rdennis) and publically quoted the heinous and infringing poll. I believe you should follow his/her example. Yet you continue to mention my name in the same sentence as someone who threatened my life. You need to be clear on where you stand on this.

When considering how you want to handle moderation on these boards, consider this. Anonymous users don't need to be 'professional'. This would likely remove more than half of your boards. I am unpopular here because I point out people's mistakes. I also expose vile invective and drivel. I do not personally attack other posters, and find it troubling that others can see the difference between a death threat and a cycical and possibly irratating refutation that exposes someone's radical and ignorant view.

If you would like to see a good model on how to moderate, I would recommend the Motley Fool.

KMcHugh, I explained why I think Cnra salaries WILL be lower. Did you just not read that part?

It sounds like some of you nurses have a lot of dissonance when discussing crna salaries. Do you really believe you are paid what you are worth? Some of you are acting exactly like UAW guys. It's hilarious.

In any case, like I said, if the cnra path is as difficult as some of you allege, then you guys don't have to worry about a thing (well, other then whatever studies like the UPenn study are correct)

Is it getting to the point yet where hospitals are hiring CRNAs over MDAs, or are CRNAs hired generally only in areas that have no MDAs?

McHugh,
I will clarify my comment regarding PT's...it is only a small comment in the mass of verbal gunslinging going on here.
Now all PT programs are MS or Doctoral programs (which does not = quality by the way). Each program is far more competetive than nursing (you have to agree with that). We did have pharm, path, extensive anatomy with the medical school, physio, neuro, and our basic rehab stuff. It was no where near the complexity of medical school...but I have spoken with some student nurses that couldn't find their orbicularis oris to save their lives (and that other flame starter nurse-not nurse spoke of the fictional "clavicula")...nursing no longer needs to supply quality...they are on an add campaign of MEGA proportions just to supply BODIES.
I see some of the nurses coming out of school and entering school and I wonder if all that was required was a PULSE and a NOTEBOOK.

This topic should die

•••quote:••• I am unpopular here because I point out people's mistakes. I also expose vile invective and drivel.••••Ummmm, I don't think too many people on this board are out to get anybody or do a disservice or post misleading information. 99% of what is posted here is opinions anyway. You may not like them, but it doesn't mean they are wrong.

If you have such a problem with this site, then leave.

I am just in awe of the one sided opinions presented by the soon to be doctors on this site. I am consistently amazed at the inability of these trained observers to take into account any opinion that is not their own. This thread was initially started with a reference to whether or not CRNA?s should be making as much as some types of doctors. It quickly devolved into a discussion on the merits of the educations of MDA?s versus CRNA?s. While I see the Nurses are presenting facts, some of the doctors are presenting intuition and calling it fact. Please tell me who sounds more educated?

Klebsiella
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interesting point. I will ponder it on philosophy rounds this afternoon. Problem is your thoughts are designed to undermine anything that is intuitively true. At some point, we must take the leap of faith (shiver). In point of fact, intuitive truth is something that we all rely on thousands of times a day. I simply don't have the time to study and publish multi-collaberated studies in nature on gravity before I get out of bed in the morning. Too little funding out there for this sort of thing.
------------------------------------------------------------

As a matter of record, I would like to say that the much vaunted article in the ASA was not even peer reviewed, (to the best I can tell, I have a copy here in my hand). Other distinguished journals have a peer review process to make sure that research was done in a scientific manner. I see no indication that a peer review was ever done on this paper. On the contrary, the paper was accepted and published one month later. I agree with you Klebsiella show me a paper in Nature or Science discussing outcomes of anesthesia administration related to level of certification and I will consider what you say. If you are only going to present one paper that comes from the opposition, I will hold the same reservations you do.

The Silber paper also has some interesting statistics that point to some interesting conclusions. The paper states that in the cases studied, the CRNA?s handled sicker patients, and the statistics had to be adjusted to compensate for the lack of acuity in the MDA samples. The calculation for this compensation is quite mind-boggling, I challenge you to explain it to anyone.

The authors go so far as to state that their evidence is stronger than four other papers calculating the safety of anesthesia delivery. They have to make this claim, as they are claiming mortality rates 2000 times higher than the figure you all quote and attribute to the increased intervention of MDA?s, of 1 death in 250,000 cases. The ASA alleges that anesthesia delivered without the supervision of an MD results in 25 deaths in 10,000 anesthetics administered. This is quite a difference, and cannot correct since there are 3 CRNA?s practicing for every one MDA. As you can see, it is impossible to account for the large numbers obtained by the Silber study. There are, however, four independent papers supporting 1 death in 250000 anesthetic administrations, regardless of provider type.

On the supervision issue, how would you all define supervision? From what I have seen, supervision only goes as far as taking half of the fee collected for a given anesthetic administration. So maybe those CRNA salaries are too low instead of too high?

Ryo-Ohki

Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------
Of course, if this path is as intellectually challenging and difficult as you nurses allege, then you guys don't have to worry about a thing.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for this comment, I agree with you, the proof will be in the pudding. CRNA programs are very competitive, and rigorous in there demands on the student.

As for the individuals that wish for all the non-doctors to leave this board, get over it. This board actually is harder to join than many of the others I frequent; they actually make you wait a day to get your registration completed. So be happy you are protected from the trolls of the world, by a strong bunch of moderators that take a stance on non-productive banter that is meant to inflame the board contributors. These same moderators, obviously feel that diverse participation is important, and that this should not become a ?good ol? boys? club of only doctors, and doctors to be. If that is what you require, I suggest you start your own site and have a good time there. Because on this site you are obviously going to have to deal with your ideas being challenged.

Nilepoc said:

•••quote:•••As for the individuals that wish for all the non-doctors to leave this board, get over it. This board actually is harder to join than many of the others I frequent; they actually make you wait a day to get your registration completed. •••• •••quote:••• Because on this site you are obviously going to have to deal with your ideas being challenged. ••••While I disagree with much of your arguments, I can certainly find common ground on your above thoughts.

I have to say that I have found the discourse with the multiple CRNA's on this thread more stimulating and thought provoking than many other exchanges.

If others don't like the fact that you guys/gals are here, too darn bad. Dissenting and well thought out opinioin often plants the seeds of real thinking.

At this point point I'm afraid I will need to bow out of the conversation through no fault of your own.

Before I can continue to participate in this forum, I need to here from the moderators. A very clear distinction needs to be made between cogent and spirited debate and death threats a vulgar obscenity. Apparently one moderator here doesn't see a difference.

The choice is clear. Encourage dissenting and well substantiated opinion, even if it is thought provoking, sharp, and direct or squash it. The latter will render your entire forum service as valuable as the lounge. This is the place where posters regularly poll members on panty preference, sexual position, genital piercing, indian women, porn wathcing physicians, how to sexually seduce someone, lesbian interest, strung out, male birth control pills, dating service, favorite sexual position, g-spot chatter, thongs etc...

I'm not necessarily against these threads per se. But sanctioning a forum with hundreds of lewd and 'unprofessional' posts and than coming over to a much more thought provoking arena and declaring cogent debate offensive is bizarre. Further, when a moderator who rale against the latter, using expletives himself, than groups 'irritating' posters who aren't afraid to tell people they are wrong, with those who call for online mob lynchings, there is a serious problem.

Clarification needs to be offered. I challenge the moderators to think about how they really want this forum to be policed. The meter you are using 'professionalism' is an extremely poor one. It is a very broad term than doesn't necessarily have practical meaning in this venue. The meter should be personal attacks. And by this I mean the type of thing that the late 'davidgreen' spewed forth. Calling someone's views 'sick' or 'absurd' is not a personal attack. Aggressive, charged, well substantiated thought is also not a personal attack. Mocking the absurd is not a personal attack. Calling for someone's death, and comparing the person to Hitler, is a personal attack.

Food for thought.

Klebsiella,

I could not agree with you more! I am very disappointed with the way the moderators have handled this entire situation. Threatening all "a$$holes" is not the professional approach I would have expected from this forum! Personally, I AM against the juvenile, worthless and sometimes personally offensive posts that are allowed in the "Lounge". Although I am a firm believer in free speech, I have never understood the need for the "Lounge". This is, after all, a forum for professional inquiry and debate...not a dating service/gossip column/frat house! My guess is that most of those posters need to get out more! If the moderators are unable to properly express and enforce their TOS, perhaps it is time to hire a professional moderator.

Originally posted by Neurogirl:
[qb]Klebsiella,

I could not agree with you more! I am very disappointed with the way the moderators have handled this entire situation. Threatening all "a$$holes" is not the professional approach I would have expected from this forum!....
As an RN, Pre-CRNA, I'd have to say although I do not agree with Klebsiella's posts in general, they are quite stimulating and intellectually well-thought out. If they incite anger, so what! I say death threats and hitler comparisons go, and Klebsiella stays.

clown.
your comment "PT's are higher than nurses" lol, not only implies that you had little experince as a physical therapist. but it shows that you as do many here belive there is some echeolon of knowlege/authority.
everyday when the PT's ASK ME if they can please work with my patient I think " what do you think? did you read the chart, don't you know the patients ICP is volitile" maybe they don't know what ICP is. and thats OK. but don't pretend that PT's are making decions on an inpatient basis. possibly what you say about eval and treat may be true out patient wise.
Physical therapy to me is "Range of Motion" in a nut shell. Range of motion was a nursing responsiblity long before PT's were ever around. Nursing gave ROM to PT because of our already heavy load. the same arguement goes of RT.

I have a question for all the nurses here. Do you think anesthesia is any less complex than, say, heart surgery? Do you think that nurses should be allowed to train in all medical fields? It sounds like most nurses think that the sciences learned in medical school that are not covered in nursing school are irrelevant to the practice of anesthesia. Is this true in all fields of medicine, or just anesthesia? Because if you think CRNAs are equivalent to MDAs, why the hell can't a nurse can be trained to perform heart surgery? Spare the "surgery is different" reply. Not only does that belittle the very field you are practicing, anesthesia, but anesthesiologists work their asses off for the same MD that surgeons have. Would you opt for a less trained nurse to perform surgery on your loved one to save a few bucks? Think about this and answer honestly. I sure wouldn't and I hope you wouldn't either. So, what gives? Is anesthesia the only field that you can take a short-cut in? Or should the whole medical field shift toward shorter, field-specific training? I'm sure I'm going to enjoy the responses to this one...

hmmmmm.
I like this question. on one hand I think anesthesia is so closley related to nursing already that it is easy for nurses to assimilate to. when I say closely related I mean the technology, monotoring and interpretaion of vitals. MDA's do a lot of vital sign monitoring. it is strange. the first time I recived report from an MDA i thought. hmmmm. you give report like a nurse. you sound exactly like a nurse. you care about the things nurses care about. so much of nursing is monitoring vitals, interpreting dats and pain managment that anesthesia almost comes naturally. (don't over play that natually part, you know what I mean)
the other part of the question. would nurses be apt by the same rights to other medical specialties. as you all know I don't belive in the echeolon of it all. you can't rank even though I just ranked the PT's thats only cuz he started it. I do think nurses should be into the same medical specialties. nurses arn't md assistants thier sperate. with sperate schools and seperate cirricula. maybe the md's have been doing over kill all these years. I am pretty sure that a CV surgeon isn't thinking about mortailty rates of cruchfield jakobs disease in changa while he is doing his cabag. yet all MD's learn that crap. why not just the gentic specialist or the epidemioloists. secondly I veiw having nurses specialize and doctors specialize as two grocerie stores. one just remodeled and imported magos from the philippines, the other purchased a mango farm in new mexico. one is cheaper, which one is best?. who really knows, but either way the consumer now has a choice, if kroger was the only store allowed to sell mangos because they really have tasted a lot and they know what good mangos should taste like that would be absurd. just like this post must seem absurd to many of you. so maybe I'am a little twisted, try to see my point. if you will

<a href="http://anatome.ncl.ac.uk/tutorials/larynx/text/vall.html" target="_blank">http://anatome.ncl.ac.uk/tutorials/larynx/text/vall.html</a>

Nurses do specialize in other areas of medicine -- they are called NP`S. Anyone who believes crna = MDA is nuts. That being said, how many operations have you all been involved with???? 99.99999% (obviously an exageration) go smooth and great. I am in 5/day now and without high risk pt.s or unforseen complications -- there is no difference between the two. Heck, I will be willing to bet that most of you that have been in surgery did not even realize there was a crna at the head of the table. My hospital has 15 ORs. If there are 5 MDAs and say 8 crnas the bases are covered, even for those unforseen emergencies. I was involved with CEA`s this week and both with with crna.

PS: why is it anyones buissness what another person earns? These young med students talk the talk about cornering the market on compassion/knowledge/understanding/enlightenment/and pt. care, but it is clear to anyone with experience (real experience -- not your little rotation experience) that you mostly are ignorant of the eventual workings of a hospital and the health care TEAMS involved. The comment that PT`s are higher than nurses made me sick -- then made me laugh. Not only does it show arrogance/lack of humility/ and no manners -- it falls into what I USED to think was a stereo type---that most PT`s are fooled in school as to thinking they are above ALL, not just the nurses. Think about it, ever met a PT that didnt think that in some measurable way? Well, I guess I have met good ones -- but you know the type. Some post here.

Steinway,
"Do you think anesthesia is any less complex than, say, heart surgery?"

A:
Define complex. Surgery is probably a bad analogy, as it is a technical skill. As inflammatory as this may sound, you can train most people to perform technical skills. As an example first assistants and surgical PA's do perform surgery, although not the sole surgery providers on any case.
The changes in patient condition during surgery are usually treated by the anesthesia provider or the perfusionist.
Maybe a better choice would be a specialist, internist, etc.., they are much more likely to see the zebras on a regular basis.
Q:
"It sounds like most nurses think that the sciences learned in medical school that are not covered in nursing school are irrelevant to the practice of anesthesia. "
A:
Which sciences are covered in medical school that you believe are not covered in nursing school and advanced nursing programs? What areas specifically do you believe that nurses lack education in, and how will it impact patient care?
Q:
"Do you think that nurses should be allowed to train in all medical fields?"
A:
Why not? Maybe your true question was do I believe that nurses should replace physicians. No, they are an integral part of the healthcare team.

Look, managed care is going nowhere. I'd much rather see CRNAs making big bucks because the alternative is even worse.

Unless and until there is specific, hard evidence that patient outcome suffers under CRNA supervision, then both professions will be in direct competition, and the CRNA WILL win out. Am I the only one who recognizes this inevitable fact?

I would expect that, without the type of evidence I described, that MDA salaries will start to fall more in line with CRNA salaries. This may take awhile, but I definitely see the two fields merging even more than they are now.

After all, if you were a hospital administrator strapped for cash, why in the world would you hire an MDA over a CRNA (unless compensation is roughly equal)? Theres no data (that I've seen thusfar) to suggest that CRNAs cant handle anything that an MDA can do, provided that years of experience are roughly equal.

Look, I dont necessarily like these events any better than the rest of future and current MDs. But arguing that we have superior training, even if it is the truth (of which I'm not sure yet) is MOOT.

Until evidence shows that you absoulutely need that training to provide competent care in anesthesia, the trend I described above is inevitable in this era of managed care and restrained healthcare budgets.

Personally, I don't care how much CRNAs make. The problem I have with them is all the built up hostility they have against physicians. During my rotations, on several occasions, I encountered MD/DO bashing by the CRNAs. The funny thing is, the topic was NEVER money, but rather, the classic CRNA inferiority complex disguised as a superiority complex. I got so sick of all the "I'm just as good as...no, better than all those bleepin Docs!". It was almost as if they were trying to convince themselves (as well as all the other nurses). The other amusing aspect of these encounters was watching how quickly they would shut up whenever a physician came into the room. I also noticed that once I was a physician (as opposed to a student) I NEVER heard their rantings again. THANK GOD! It was getting really hard to keep my mouth shut! There is nothing so offensive as being bashed behind your back! If you REALLY believe all your hype, that's fine and dandy, but either KEEP IT TO YOURSELF or MAKE YOUR OPINIONS KNOWN to the MDs/DOs you work with. If you want to be a physician, then go to med school. If you like being a CRNA then great, but treat physicians with the same respect you expect from them! :mad:

My other comment concerns the topic of nursing education in general. Some on this board have inquired as to how we could POSSIBLY know what a nurse does or doesn't learn in school. Well the fact is that we DO know what they learn because we work with them EVERY SINGLE DAY! We see, first hand, the limitations of their education. I don't understand why this is so hard for some of you to accept. If you still don't believe me, just talk to any RN/PA/PharmD/NP turned physician. They're not that hard to find. I can assure you they will agree with EVERYTHING being said on this board. I know this because I've talked to a few myself. The most common thing they'll say is: "I just never realized how much I DIDN'T know! Let me put things in perspective. What if LPNs started saying: Hey, we learn about anatomy and patient care, etc. We should have all the same rights/privileges as RNs! And to the PhD who's been posting...do you REALLY think a person with a BS or even MS could do your job as well? Get the picture? :rolleyes:

Please don't misunderstand, the vast majority of physicians hold nurses in high regard. They are highly educated, competent professionals. I'll be the first to admit that a nurse has, on more than one occasion, pulled my butt out of a sling! On the other hand, I am often called upon to help the nurses. They often ask me questions because they know I am always happy to help and will NEVER make them feel stupid for not understanding a concept/illness/course of care/etc. :)

The bottom line, contrary to what the Sandman thinks, is that there IS a hierarchy in medicine and for good reason. Many nurses don't like that idea, except when a patient is starting to crash! When that happens, they're ALL TOO HAPPY to let me be the boss! So you see, you can't have it both ways. :p

Mr. Sandman, your analogy of mango sales is nice and all, but we're not talking about mangos, we're talking about human lives.

lgcv:
"As inflammatory as this may sound, you can train most people to perform technical skills."

The day that nurses are begin performing open heart surgery will be a sad day for medicine in America. Right now, there is stiff competition to determine admission to medical school. If this day comes, will only the brightest, hard-working students get into medical school? No, average intelligence people will be taking care of us when we are older. Why would anyone want to suffer through years of medical school/residency accruing debt while a nurse is already doing their job and proclaiming to anyone who will listen that they are doing it better than any MD? Sorry I had to be so crude about it.

"Which sciences are covered in medical school that you believe are not covered in nursing school and advanced nursing programs? What areas specifically do you believe that nurses lack education in, and how will it impact patient care?"

I am neither a nursing or medical student. But common sense tells me that in the 4 years of medical school + residency, they are taught a thing or two that nurses aren't. I may be wrong, but there is a reason that nursing school and medical school are two different schools.

Neurogirl,
Well said. I am an aspiring professional pianist, hence the name Steinway, and I see the same stuff in the music world. If I win a competition, I can bet on the marginally talented musicians talking themselves up to anyone who will listen about how they are as good, if not better than me. But you know what? This is pure jealousy, and a severe inferiority complex. Whether or not this is true in the medical field, I don't know. I'd rather be the one they talk @)#( about as long as I'm winning the competitions. Likewise, I'd rather be the MD that nurses talk about, because the patients are coming to see YOU, after all.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Bandit:

PS: why is it anyones buissness what another person earns? These young med students talk the talk about cornering the market on compassion/knowledge/understanding/enlightenment/and pt. care, but it is clear to anyone with experience (real experience -- not your little rotation experience) that you mostly are ignorant of the eventual workings of a hospital and the health care TEAMS involved. The comment that PT`s are higher than nurses made me sick -- then made me laugh. Not only does it show arrogance/lack of humility/ and no manners -- it falls into what I USED to think was a stereo type---that most PT`s are fooled in school as to thinking they are above ALL, not just the nurses. Think about it, ever met a PT that didnt think that in some measurable way? Well, I guess I have met good ones -- but you know the type. Some post here.•••••Well said bandit

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Neurogirl:
•Personally, I don't care how much CRNAs make. The problem I have with them is all the built up hostility they have against physicians. •••••Neurogirl
There is just as much hostility from the physicians as nurses. Don't use that argument. I don't see the CRNAs doing the bashing as often as I seethe MD\DO's doing it b\c they are jealous that somebody can provide the same services as they can for cheaper. Note- i'm talking about MDAs not MDs in general

Wow, this thread is seeing some traffic isn't it. Nothing like a heated debate to get the adrenaline going.
I have a question to throw out. Do you guys think that doctors in many other countries (like most European and South American countries?correct me if I'm wrong) have less education and therefore are less qualified than doctors in the US because they have less years in school. As far as I know, to be an MD in Europe, you go through 4 yrs of med school directly after high school. After that point, I think the new MD can practice medicine. Some obviously specialize but usually this is done while they are working as an MD. In other words and MD in this case is NOT a graduate degree (but then neither it is in the US). My cousin is a doctor in Europe and this info comes from him. So basically he can to everything a physician does and more but he has less years of education than a CRNA or other higher level nurses. So are people in the US being over-educated, or are people in Europe being under-educated. Granted people who head to med school in Europe usually attend a pre-college type high school, which I don't think is much different from taking AP classes in US high schools.

Also, I think the reason that this debate is so heated is because people want to generalize "nurses" and "doctors". Let's face it there are some nurses that would outshine some doctors but there are some nurses that obviously are not that "with it". Same goes for doctors, some are brilliant and amazing people, while other's shouldn't even touch patients. Haven't we all run across people like that? In my dept. there's a guy who only has an MS, but he is sharper than many of the PhD, he just doesn't want to get a Phd, because it only poses a hassle to him. So I guess we sometimes like to think in terms of absolutes, which in the real world don't exist.

I think that Hopkins2010 made a great point.

"After all, if you were a hospital administrator strapped for cash, why in the world would you hire an MDA over a CRNA (unless compensation is roughly equal)? Theres no data (that I've seen thusfar) to suggest that CRNAs cant handle anything that an MDA can do, provided that years of experience are roughly equal"

I think this is reality. Le'ts face, it unless there is evidence that CRNAs kill people in droves, hospitals will keep hiring them because of the almighty dollar. Who in their right mind would pay someone 3X as much to do the same job? It's obvious to me that there are no large discrepancies between CRNA and MDA care (even that Silber study), therefore in the practical sense cheaper is better. Who is going to pay more for care that will "maybe" guarantee a more succesfull outcome by 2% compared to the cheaper alternative? For my primary care I go see an NP, and so far have been very happy with my care. I have only seen my primary care physician once in the last 3.5 yrs. I think people are pretty sick of paying crazy amounts of money for healthcare and I think trends like this are going to continue unless proven unsafe.

Yes, in order for salaries for cnras to stay at this level, two criterion must be met:

A) No statistically significant difference in mortality rates
B) The CNRA path is so difficult and challenging that most people can not complete it. (Demand drastically outpacing supply)

I say that CNRAs will meet neither and their salary will go down accordingly.

Someone above noted "I think people are tired of paying huge amounts for healthcare", implying, I suppose, that using mid-level providers would bring down healthcare costs. This is simply not true. If any money is saved, you can be assured it will not go into the pockets of consumers! Any money saved will go to healthcare executives and shareholders!

To Meandragonbrett:

Please don't tell me what arguments I can or can't use! I was only TRUTHFULLY relaying my experiences. Perhaps your experiences have been different, but at my hospital, the ONLY bashing going on was being done by the CRNAs. Believe it or don't believe it...that is up to you. But don't tell me it didn't happen...I was there.

Ryo,
There are not enough programs to flood the market, nor will there be. Unlike the NP programs the AANA keeps a tight reign on number of graduates per year.

kmiska, if you are trying to compare the education of doctors in other countries with that of US MD's you will run into hardships. first, you should look at the pass rates of foreign MD's on the USMLE's. foreign MD's (which includes many trainees from third world countries that do not have similar training, drugs and technology) have pass rates of 60% on the USMLE step 2 compared with a 90% pass rate for american MD's (I suspect that a large proportion of foreign grads that do pass the USMLE are from developed countries and carribean schools). so, if the USMLE is any measure of simple clinical knowledge, many foreign MD's have an inferior knowledge base.
secondly, i don't know about countries other than the UK and Ireland but students enter medical school after their A levels (high school but only with three subjects which have been studied at a level comparable to North American Universities). Their medical school lasts five to six years, after which they must complete at least one year of post-graduate training so that they can perform locums but are not qualified to practice in any other setting. If they wish to actually practice in an official specialty, they must enter a specialty college training program which can last up to fifteen years. So in actuality, UK and Irish doctors have more education than their US counterparts.

For an example closer to home, Canadian doctors who wish to become anesthetists have to enter into a five year training program which is similar to that of US MD?s but has an extra year of training in internal medicine and ICU (CCU, PICU, and NICU). Nearly all of the US MD?s who wish to write the Canadian exams for anesthesia fail because their knowledge base isn?t as strong as their Canadian counterparts because they haven?t done the extra training. In addition, all of the anesthesia in Canada is performed by MD?s. Many anesthetists in Canada do not trust the education of US MD?s, much less that of a CRNA. In speaking with some of them, they scorn the statement that anesthesia is "90% boredom and 10% terror." If your training is right, anesthesia should be "70% vacation and 30% work."

Mr. McHugh,

All of your comments have been very cogent. Let me be the first physician to offer his feedback and say I am impressed by the clarity and veracity of your thoughts. In response to your two questions:

1) Do you believe CRNA's don't deserve their salary?

Frankly, I believe they deserve whatever salary the market demands. My belief is that if a CRNA is in a market where they are being given 180,000 dollars, a physician anesthesist in that same market is probably making double to triple that. There maybe be less of them, or there might not be (it depends on the wealth of the clientele, the market, the insurance provider, etc). In addition, the CRNA's can't bill for a wide variety of other services (specific pain codes, peri operative services, critical care services, etc)which may or may not limit the upward expansion of their salaries. So whatever they can get they should. This is America, and that's how it works.

Are Physicians the arbitrators of salary?

They shouldn't be if they are. The market is the arbitrator of salary and it always has been. My belief is that you can make anyone into a physician with the right level of training. It has always been the ability to get in that has been the biggst deterent or determinant (however you would like to look at it). Mid Level providers make a good deal of money only because physicians won't accept less or will take less. Therefore if a medical system needs a demand for that service, they will pay a mid level provider more because they need the function and not the research credential that the requisite physician might provide in addition.

If truth be told, anesthesiologists are in as great a short supply or maybe even greater than CRNA's. Both of us are fighting upstream against increased demand, and decreased supply. Suffice it to say, with market forces present, the qualified person for a job should recieve whatever the market can bare, and both of us will be appropriately and in a very generous fashion, compensated. I believe that CRNA's salaries will only go up if physician's salaries go up....when the two equilibrate, that is the max that a CRNA could recieve...otherwise you lose the economic benefit. If you could get the potential of a physician (or appearance anyway, let me not offend anyone) at the salary of a CRNA, then well that's the best of both worlds. The worst possible outcome of any of this is that you need fewer physicians to maintain the same salary base. Well that just means less of us are trained and more CRNA's are trained. That's fine, but currently even that doesn't seem to be economically feasible (there aren't enough nurses). So we have to go even further down the provider chain to AA's. In the end, basic anesthesia can be given by anyone with enough training, and complex cases can be provided by anyone with even more training. I think the difference occurs in getting patients out faster post surgically, minimizing anesthetic outcomes, maximizing post surgical results. The best in that scenario would be all physicians, the worst would be all nurses and mid level providers and the most likely solution would be a TEAM APPROACH. Nurses provide not only the Quality of care that is necessary, but they also serve as the standing gaurd of situations as they go ary. They are acutely aware of patient comfort, probably far more then we as physicians are. I am not a nurse basher, but at the same time I do believe there is some value to having a team perform all of these activities.

Conclusion:

So CRNA's would want physicians salaries to go up if this was a purely monetary argument. So in my mind, you deserve as much money as the market will provide. And so do the anesthesiologists in your area. If the physicians salaries get crunched so will the mid level providers, because there is no economic justification to it otherwise. View it this way...the law of diminishing return. Don't compare what a CRNA makes to what an internist makes: compare it to what an anesthesiologist makes. A qualified CRNA with excellent and broad based experience in a high demand area will command a great salary, but so will the comparable anesthesiologist. Because no matter what study you'll perform, if you viewed the argument in totality...the best solution is a team of providers: CRNA's and anesthesiologists that deliver care appropriately. If this is done efficiently then everyone benefits, and economically everyone succeeds. And if you as an anesthesiologist are bugged by what a CRNA makes, then you need to do a fellowship...in which way you can distinguish yourself, and make yourself a commodity. That is the key.

Sorry,

One last point; I still believe that that anesthesiologists should fight for their rights. I believe that a phyician will always be paid more that the mid-level provider in their field. I also believe that if you were an executive, in a high quality insurance plan, or were wealthy...you would DEMAND a physican for your anesthesia, and your plan would state that is all they allow because that is what differentiates you from other health plans and why people pay more to have you cover them. It is the same argument as having you back surgery done at the community hospital or by a world famous surgeon at Duke....I will pay more for the guy at Duke if I can. Therefore if anesthestists want to deal with all the business issues of billing, coding, getting business, marketing themselves, competing with each other, fending of AA's to keep their business, then they should. My personal point is that CRNA's won't enjoy elevated salaries forever if I can find someone with just a little less education who can do some of the same procedures, because then I would pay them less to do the same thing to. Just a thought under the category of be careful what you wish for...

Wow, can't we all just get along?

Who's smarter? CRNA or MDA?
A: Neither. Mathematicians and physicists beat both out by a long shot.

Does having a CRNA vs. MDA on a case adversely affect outcome?
A: Who knows. All the studies are poorly designed or have political agendas in mind. Quit arguing and wait until a good study is published.

Why is there so much hostility between nurses and docs/residents/med students?
A: Because of threads like this.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Mr. Sandman:
•hmmmmm.
I like this question. on one hand I think anesthesia is so closley related to nursing already that it is easy for nurses to assimilate to. when I say closely related I mean the technology, monotoring and interpretaion of vitals. MDA's do a lot of vital sign monitoring. it is strange. the first time I recived report from an MDA i thought. hmmmm. you give report like a nurse. you sound exactly like a nurse. you care about the things nurses care about. so much of nursing is monitoring vitals, interpreting dats and pain managment that anesthesia almost comes naturally. (don't over play that natually part, you know what I mean)
the other part of the question. would nurses be apt by the same rights to other medical specialties. as you all know I don't belive in the echeolon of it all. you can't rank even though I just ranked the PT's thats only cuz he started it. I do think nurses should be into the same medical specialties. nurses arn't md assistants thier sperate. with sperate schools and seperate cirricula. maybe the md's have been doing over kill all these years. I am pretty sure that a CV surgeon isn't thinking about mortailty rates of cruchfield jakobs disease in changa while he is doing his cabag. yet all MD's learn that crap. why not just the gentic specialist or the epidemioloists. secondly I veiw having nurses specialize and doctors specialize as two grocerie stores. one just remodeled and imported magos from the philippines, the other purchased a mango farm in new mexico. one is cheaper, which one is best?. who really knows, but either way the consumer now has a choice, if kroger was the only store allowed to sell mangos because they really have tasted a lot and they know what good mangos should taste like that would be absurd. just like this post must seem absurd to many of you. so maybe I'am a little twisted, try to see my point. if you will•••••I don't know who this Mr. Sandman is, but he doesn't sound like a physician yet. I have only been a physician for one year so far (i.e. internship), and I hardly agree w/ his comments about MDA's being "nurses" b/c they care about vital signs so much. "Vital sign's" are called that b/c they are V-I-T-A-L to the patient's health! Vitals are the easiest and cheapest ways to assess the status of a patient. Any DOCTOR would tell you the same thing. Why do you think its the first thing you write in the physical exam section??? In fact, a progress note or H&P is not billable unless the vital signs are recorded by the doctor. Vital signs are important for DOCTORS and nurses. Anyone who says that anesthesiologists are like nurses b/c they care about vital signs are plain old stupid and idiotic and not worth their medical degree. Anesthesiologists care about vital signs b/c the BP will tell you if the patient's CVS is crashing or stable. The RR tells you pulmonary function. The O2 sat again gives you cardiovascular function. Any doctor, whether anesthesiologist, surgeon, or internist, would care about the vitals just the same for a patient under anesthesia. Its just plain stupid to say that the MDA is more like a nurse than a surgeon b/c he/she cares about vital signs. DOCTORS in general care about vital signs. The first I do after I see a patient every morning, no matter if I am in medicine, OB/gyn, peds, surgery, is to go through the flow sheet and see what the patient's vitals have been for the last 24 hours. Just as the "eyes is the window to the soul", the vitals are the "window to the patient's health status". I am so mad the Mr. Sandman would belittle anesthesiology as being like nursing b/c MDA's look at vitals closely.

I think it is entirely arrogant for some of these anesthesiology pessimists, CRNA proponents and CRNAs to herald the demise and doom of anesthesiologists b/c of cost effectiveness in favor of the cheap labor (i.e. CRNA source). CRNA's have been around for decades, and according to them, are the "poineers and founders" of anesthesia (not true, if anyone would look at the history of who discovered anesthesia). Yet, they have not successfully eradicated anesthesiologists from the earth. The reason they have not is b/c everyone knows that anesthesiologists are needed, may be not for all cases, but needed nonetheless b/c we doctors know more and provide more complete anesthesia care. WE are the natural leaders of the anesthesia team. The reason CRNAs are getting so much pay and clout is b/c there is not enough anesthesiologists to go around. CRNA salaries and demand WILL PROPORTIONATELY DECREASE as the number of new anesthesiologists increase in the next few years. So, CRNA salary and arrogance will decrease. True, anesthesiology salaries will decrease as demand decrease, but so will CRNAs' salaries. And, furthermore, CRNA salaries will never match anesthesiology salaries. That's just the way it is. JUST LOOK AT HISTORY. We anesthesiologists will be around, no matter what all the naysayers predict. Our doom has been predicted time and again, and it has not happen. Guess what they were predicting in the mid 90s? They said that anesthesiology was dead and medical students stopped going in. Look at the situation now. Those same bottom feeders who went into anesthesiology in the mid 90s are enjoying some of the highest entry salaries of any specialty. If people don't think anesthesiology will be around in 10 years, I wonder why the number of AMG's going into it increases every year for the last several years. In fact, I wish people wouldn't go into it. More job and money for me in the future. I love the field and am dedicated to the field and its future. I ain't in it just for the money, but I see that as a required perk of the specialists. We always have and will probably always make more than generalists. I am excited to go into my CA-1 finally in less than a month and the hell with all of you idiots who have no respect for anesthesiologists and our field. We will do all right w/ or w/o your support. CRNAs will always be around but so will we. We welcome the support of every doctor and medical student out there, but for the pessimist out there...the hell w/ you. The ASA is one of the strongest lobbying physician groups out there and I plan to fund it and support it the first chance I can. I hope other resident anesthesiologists on this site do the same.

Mr. Sandman,

Why are you still here? I thought you made the threat (interpreted as "promise") that you weren't going to come back?

It is ridiculous and amazingly rude to be so derogatory towards anesthesiologists. If you ever need surgery, we'll see which (cRNA vs. MDA) specialist you request.

My grandfather recently had a neck dissection by an ENT to remove a squamous cell carcinoma w/ some of the SCM and his external jugular vein and guess what -- the ENT demanded an MDA for the surgery. Duh!

Hi:

This may have already been posted but my Sunday Paper had an article titled "Specialist Nurses Out Earn Doctors" in the Job section. The article talks a lot about the lack of CRNAs driving up their pay. The article was out of Dallas from Night Ridder News Service - don't have a link for it - sorry. Some of the numbers were prety close to stuff listed early in this thread - wonder if they got the idea for the article from this thread?

M-

I'll be responding to a number of different posts this go around. Rather than try to respond to individual correspondents, I'll try to cover all in a general post.

A number of you have said that as the numbers of MDA's increase, CRNA salaries will decrease rapidly. Simple economics will demonstrate the error of your thinking. As pointed out by Brownman, MDA salaries are roughly two to three times that of CRNA's (with some variance based on location, length of experience, etc). Suppose you were the senior partner of an anesthesia group, looking to hire three additional anesthesia providers. You already have a number of both MDA's and CRNA's. Would you rather hire three CRNA's at approximately 120K per year, or MDA's at 250K per year? What is most beneficial to your group? The latest statistics I read said that on average, one anesthesia provider (MDA or CRNA) working full time, can bill for about $250K a year. The fact is that as more MDA's are hired, salaries for just about everyone in the group have to remain static to be able to support the additional burden, since each MDA is paid just about exactly the billing their work generates. Do the math.

As for the "ease" of becoming a CRNA leading to a market flooded with CRNA's, don't hold your breath. First, CRNA master's degree programs are notoriously difficult. I personally have talked to any number of very smart nurses who have said "I thought about CRNA school, but I just don't want to work that hard." Additionally, there are currently about 80 schools that produce CRNA's in the US. Their current rate of graduation is less than the current rate of CRNA retirement. Again, do the math. The two facts I just gave mean that the shortage of CRNA's is going to get worse, not better, in the near term future. In short, Ryo-Ohki, I suggest you study the facts of a circumstance, before making predictions. Besides, I didn't ask you whether CRNA salaries would be going down. I asked what a fair salary for CRNA's would be, and why you should be the arbiter of those salaries. Before you respond (if you do) I suggest you read Brownman's posts carefully. By the way, if you think CRNA salaries are outrageous, this will really bug you. There are now MDA run anesthesia groups offering partnerships to CRNA's as a way to attract and retain good anesthesia providers.

Neurogirl discussed the hostility of CRNA's towards MDA's. I'll be the first to admit that the CRNA's you encountered acted in a highly unprofessional, immature manner. I have never encountered such hostility, but I know it exists. Some of it is due to the current rift between the ASA and the AANA. Some of it is undoubtably due to jealousy on the part of the CRNA's. And some people just have to have a scapegoat in their lives. Personally, I have a very high regard for both the MDA's and CRNA's I work with. Not only do I not put them down, but would be the first to defend them if others did. Partly, because I firmly believe an employee should be loyal to his/her employer and co-workers, and partly because I do hold them in such high regard. However, there are some MDA's who are equally hostile towards CRNA's. (See the earlier post about the "man bitch." If I ever heard my employer refer to me, even jokingly, in such a manner, he'd be short a CRNA VERY rapidly.) Again, I think partly because of the rift, and partly out of jealousy. Jealousy because we earn the salaries we do, without having attended med school. Of course, that ignores the path we took to become CRNA's.

CRNA's serve some of the most underserved areas in the country. I live in Kansas, and in some of our more remote areas, such as Garden City and Dodge City, all anesthesia services are provided by anesthesia groups that are strictly comprised of CRNA's. Generally, there is not an MDA within 100 miles, and the surgeons in these areas are quite happy with the services provided by the CRNA groups. In fact, there is an all CRNA group in Manhattan Kansas. A few years ago, an MDA moved to town, and tried to essentially take over anesthesia in Manhattan. To make a long story short, he didn't last. Most surgeons didn't even try him, and those that did rapidly went back to the CRNA's. Why? Because the MDA was fresh out of residency, and did not have the experience of the CRNA group, where most members had been doing anesthesia for 10 or more years.

Not long ago, in the proposal to put all CRNA's under MDA direction, the existance of these all CRNA groups was brought up. In the course of the discussion, it was learned that there were few, if any, MDA's willing to move to the rural locations served by the CRNA groups. I don't know whether the proposal was from the ASA or just a few members, but the proposal was made that these groups could be placed under the "distant supervision" of an MDA, who supposedly would be available for telephonic consultation in the event of an emergency. Those of you who have actually done anesthetics know how ludicrous such a suggestion is. It was clearly an attempt to increase the amount MDA's could bill, without actually increasing their workload.

I personally agree with Brownman. Where possible, a team approach is the best model currently available. I think the ongoing fight, typified by some of the rhetoric on this board, is doing more to harm the practice of anesthesia. It is certainly not doing anything to improve patient care, which should be the ultimate goal for us ALL. If anything I have said appears to malign MDA's, then you have my most sincere apologies. I hold most MDA's in the highest regard. Personally, I like the fact that when I am doing an anesthetic for an open heart surgery, or for a neonate, or whatever other case you may care to mention, that I am backed up by an anesthesiologist with over 30 years of experience. I personally believe we need both CRNA's and MDA's to provide the best possible patient care.

As to the fight between the ASA and the AANA, remember that in some places, there are no MDA's available. In those places, anesthesia services are provided every day in highly competent fashion by CRNA's. (SOme of you have mentioned that there might be "some cases too complex for CRNA's", but have not addressed the fact CRNA's do these cases every day.) If the ASA continues to push to have this practice stopped, they will quickly find themselves opposed by not only the AANA, but by the surgical and other MD professional associations. If the ASA were to somehow force the rules they want to be passed tomorrow, surgery in most rural hospitals would come to a screeching halt. See how many enemies the ASA makes at that point.

By the way, Gasdoc, if it is unclear, I am NOT heralding the demise of the MDA. That would be a tragedy, and in any event, won't occur.

Kevin McHugh, CRNA

What would happen if new cnra schools are started because of increased demand for cheaper labor? Hmmmm....

You seem angry, my friend. Why is that?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by KMcHugh:
•I'll be responding to a number of different posts this go around. Rather than try to respond to individual correspondents, I'll try to cover all in a general post.

A number of you have said that as the numbers of MDA's increase, CRNA salaries will decrease rapidly. Simple economics will demonstrate the error of your thinking. As pointed out by Brownman, MDA salaries are roughly two to three times that of CRNA's (with some variance based on location, length of experience, etc). Suppose you were the senior partner of an anesthesia group, looking to hire three additional anesthesia providers. You already have a number of both MDA's and CRNA's. Would you rather hire three CRNA's at approximately 120K per year, or MDA's at 250K per year? What is most beneficial to your group? The latest statistics I read said that on average, one anesthesia provider (MDA or CRNA) working full time, can bill for about $250K a year. The fact is that as more MDA's are hired, salaries for just about everyone in the group have to remain static to be able to support the additional burden, since each MDA is paid just about exactly the billing their work generates. Do the math.

As for the "ease" of becoming a CRNA leading to a market flooded with CRNA's, don't hold your breath. First, CRNA master's degree programs are notoriously difficult. I personally have talked to any number of very smart nurses who have said "I thought about CRNA school, but I just don't want to work that hard." Additionally, there are currently about 80 schools that produce CRNA's in the US. Their current rate of graduation is less than the current rate of CRNA retirement. Again, do the math. The two facts I just gave mean that the shortage of CRNA's is going to get worse, not better, in the near term future. In short, Ryo-Ohki, I suggest you study the facts of a circumstance, before making predictions. Besides, I didn't ask you whether CRNA salaries would be going down. I asked what a fair salary for CRNA's would be, and why you should be the arbiter of those salaries. Before you respond (if you do) I suggest you read Brownman's posts carefully. By the way, if you think CRNA salaries are outrageous, this will really bug you. There are now MDA run anesthesia groups offering partnerships to CRNA's as a way to attract and retain good anesthesia providers.

Neurogirl discussed the hostility of CRNA's towards MDA's. I'll be the first to admit that the CRNA's you encountered acted in a highly unprofessional, immature manner. I have never encountered such hostility, but I know it exists. Some of it is due to the current rift between the ASA and the AANA. Some of it is undoubtably due to jealousy on the part of the CRNA's. And some people just have to have a scapegoat in their lives. Personally, I have a very high regard for both the MDA's and CRNA's I work with. Not only do I not put them down, but would be the first to defend them if others did. Partly, because I firmly believe an employee should be loyal to his/her employer and co-workers, and partly because I do hold them in such high regard. However, there are some MDA's who are equally hostile towards CRNA's. (See the earlier post about the "man bitch." If I ever heard my employer refer to me, even jokingly, in such a manner, he'd be short a CRNA VERY rapidly.) Again, I think partly because of the rift, and partly out of jealousy. Jealousy because we earn the salaries we do, without having attended med school. Of course, that ignores the path we took to become CRNA's.

CRNA's serve some of the most underserved areas in the country. I live in Kansas, and in some of our more remote areas, such as Garden City and Dodge City, all anesthesia services are provided by anesthesia groups that are strictly comprised of CRNA's. Generally, there is not an MDA within 100 miles, and the surgeons in these areas are quite happy with the services provided by the CRNA groups. In fact, there is an all CRNA group in Manhattan Kansas. A few years ago, an MDA moved to town, and tried to essentially take over anesthesia in Manhattan. To make a long story short, he didn't last. Most surgeons didn't even try him, and those that did rapidly went back to the CRNA's. Why? Because the MDA was fresh out of residency, and did not have the experience of the CRNA group, where most members had been doing anesthesia for 10 or more years.

Not long ago, in the proposal to put all CRNA's under MDA direction, the existance of these all CRNA groups was brought up. In the course of the discussion, it was learned that there were few, if any, MDA's willing to move to the rural locations served by the CRNA groups. I don't know whether the proposal was from the ASA or just a few members, but the proposal was made that these groups could be placed under the "distant supervision" of an MDA, who supposedly would be available for telephonic consultation in the event of an emergency. Those of you who have actually done anesthetics know how ludicrous such a suggestion is. It was clearly an attempt to increase the amount MDA's could bill, without actually increasing their workload.

I personally agree with Brownman. Where possible, a team approach is the best model currently available. I think the ongoing fight, typified by some of the rhetoric on this board, is doing more to harm the practice of anesthesia. It is certainly not doing anything to improve patient care, which should be the ultimate goal for us ALL. If anything I have said appears to malign MDA's, then you have my most sincere apologies. I hold most MDA's in the highest regard. Personally, I like the fact that when I am doing an anesthetic for an open heart surgery, or for a neonate, or whatever other case you may care to mention, that I am backed up by an anesthesiologist with over 30 years of experience. I personally believe we need both CRNA's and MDA's to provide the best possible patient care.

As to the fight between the ASA and the AANA, remember that in some places, there are no MDA's available. In those places, anesthesia services are provided every day in highly competent fashion by CRNA's. (SOme of you have mentioned that there might be "some cases too complex for CRNA's", but have not addressed the fact CRNA's do these cases every day.) If the ASA continues to push to have this practice stopped, they will quickly find themselves opposed by not only the AANA, but by the surgical and other MD professional associations. If the ASA were to somehow force the rules they want to be passed tomorrow, surgery in most rural hospitals would come to a screeching halt. See how many enemies the ASA makes at that point.

By the way, Gasdoc, if it is unclear, I am NOT heralding the demise of the MDA. That would be a tragedy, and in any event, won't occur.

Kevin McHugh, CRNA•••••Dear Kevin,

I won't make my real name known just because I am not as comfortable as you. But, as a future anesthesiologist, I would have no problem working w/ CRNAs like yourself. I pretty much agree w/ you regarding most of the points made in the previous post. I am a proponent of the team approach, where you have both the CRNA and the anesthesiologists working together to provide the safest available anesthesia can care of the surgical patient. But, you must see it from my point of view as a doctor when there is a minority of CRNAs who openly espouse independence, separation, and total equality between the anesthesiologist and nurse anesthestist. True I don't have the knowledge or experience that you or other CRNAs who have been practicing a long time have, but it still seems unfair, tragic, and even professionally stupid for some CRNAs to openly say that they are as good as any anesthesiologists out there. And, I am not the only MD who feels insulted. If you look at the ASA site, there are numerous comments made by established anesthesiologists at how dismayed and insulted they are by the arrogance of some CRNA's. CRNA's emphasize how anesthestics are so much safer today than 20 to 30 years ago. This no doubt implies that there is LESS or dare I say no need for anesthesiologist supervision. Yet, THEY DO NOT POINT OUT THE FACT THAT THIS THE ADVANCEMENT OF ANESTHESIA HAS BEEN DONE BY MD/PHD ANESTHESIOLOGISTS OVER THE LAST SEVERAL DECADES. As a resident, from all that I have read on these posts as well as ASA and other sites, it seems very unfair and wrong for CRNAs to benefit from the hard work of past anesthesiologists. Its sort of "biting the hand that feeds you" approach. I just don't understand by the CRNA association cannot be happy working with us using the anesthesia team approach. They seem to want the whole pie instead. If you think I am the only resident who feels that way, I am not. I know of many other anesthesiology residents who feel exactly the same way. Its hard not to be defensive when it appears anesthesiologists and the ASA is under attack by CRNAs and their association.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by gasdoc:
[QB I am so mad the Mr. Sandman would belittle anesthesiology as being like nursing b/c MDA's look at vitals closely.[/QB]••••Why is it belittling to compare anesthesiology to nursing? I'm not saying that one is better than the other, but surely there are commonalities between the two. For instance, nurses (I hope) care about their patients' well-being and improvement. For the most part, the physicians I know also care about their patients' well-being and improvement . So I could make the comparison that nurses and MDs care about their patients. Does anyone have a problem with that? I could further say that respiratory therapists and certified nurses assistants also care about their patients' well-being and improvement.

I am a registered nurse, and I see nothing wrong with pointing out the commonalities between those in the health-care field. We all work together as a team with a common goal...improving patient outcomes. I plan to return to school in a few years to become a CRNA. I understand and respect the difference between anesthesiologists and CRNAs, and I do not believe that once I have those letters behind my name that I will know everything! Everyone, even the most experience, respected CV surgeon, has something to learn and may find themselves learning it from someone they consider to be "lower" than themselves. Case in point: I am a relatively new grad working in ICU. I have learned as much from one extremely intelligent, experienced LPN that I work with as I have from the RNs that precepted me. I do not discount information from anyone just because they do not hold as high a position as me. I have gotten information from those in positions higher than mine that has been proven to be wrong. It does not matter the source as long as the information is valid.

I do not make generalizations about any profession within the health care field. I have seen CNAs that know more about what's going on with their patients than the RNs do. I have seen MDs that I still can't figure out how they made it through high school and college, let alone medical school and a residency. I have seen experienced ICU RNs catch the diagnosis that MDs have missed and save a patient's life. And I've seen MDs wade through a patient's multiple problems to figure out the one thing to fix that will in turn fix everything else. We all "save each other's butts" on a daily basis! But none of us can do it alone.