CRNA? A day in the life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElJamo17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if there are any CRNAs out there who could discuss what a day in the life in their career looks like.

I was a neuroscience major in college, with a bad back. I am interested in possibly becoming a CRNA as I am interested in the biochemistry and science of anesthesia.

However, I am unsure if I could even handle working in the ICU ahead of time due to my back issues.

In addition, I am interested in the OR and clinical aspect of it. It really just looks like a lot of fun to me...

Thanks,

-ElJamo

Members don't see this ad.

Not a CRNA, but shadowed one before ultimately desciding med school.

I can comment on ICU RN work though. Most hospitals are "no lift facilities" - meaning in theory you should never have to lift a patient. In reality this is complete BS and will lift patients daily.

There are good body mechanics and ways of lifting patients that will help not hurt your back as bad. But ICU work is going to strain it some. Not as much as floor or ER nursing though.

Once you actually get into CRNA work you should be good. Just be acutely aware that during codes and traumas if you aren't doing the gas, you could be asked to help with CPR.

I'm just wondering if there are any CRNAs out there who could discuss what a day in the life in their career looks like.

I was a neuroscience major in college, with a bad back. I am interested in possibly becoming a CRNA as I am interested in the biochemistry and science of anesthesia.

However, I am unsure if I could even handle working in the ICU ahead of time due to my back issues.

In addition, I am interested in the OR and clinical aspect of it. It really just looks like a lot of fun to me...

Thanks,

-ElJamo
Depending on where you are - consider an anesthesiologist assistant career as an option. No RN or ICU time is necessary. States are more limited, but it's an excellent career, and the income levels are among the highest of all mid-level practitioners.

Reactions: 1 users