Creogs 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nykka3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I am glad that is over! At least I am an intern and have room to improve.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, that pretty much sucked. I'm just setting the bar low.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it's Sunday, so everyone should have taken it by now...

I didn't think it was too bad - I'm a fourth year, and I at least felt that the ob-gyn part of the exam was fine. However, the "low back pain" questions and some of the other primary care type questions that were just crap were getting really annoying.

Hopefully I did as well as I think I did...hope to be starting a fellowship in 2010 and would like a good result. It's somewhat discouraging that it's not like the written boards though. Got any recommendations of what to study for that?

it did seem tough this year...but, i bet i say that every year!

for me, it is just so hard to prepare for this exam. i mean, it really means nothing for those of us not interested in fellowships. for the first two years, i was well into the comfort zone for written boards, which is just about the only benefit this exam has for residents.

maybe i have senior-itis a year early, but what on earth is the motivation to work for this exam????

What was the deal with back pain and hypotension/falls in the elderly... please!!! Plus there were so many questions that were just badly written. So much for doing well this year...

I did prologs & precis (all books, twice each, cover to cover) for the boards. I got my hands on the Exam Pro old questions the week before and reviewed them as well. It worked well for me. All my classmates did professional course and loved it, but I think its overkill for the written exam. Having said that, I am doing a course for my orals next year (accelerated) as it is amazing how quickly my knowledge of REI and Urogyn disappeared with the start of fellowship.

Yeah, that exam was not a pleasant experience. Oh well . . .let the chips fall where they may.

I would agree that the CREOGs are very different than the writtens in the way the questions are presented, however the topics remain the same. As such, I would not read too much into your CREOG performance. I would, however, use the score and experience to guide you in your preparations for the written boards as the CREOGs do tend to predict those that will have difficulties in passing the writtens.
As for the written boards, I, like Global, would suggest you study the Prologs and any review course materials that you could put your hands on (it's too late for textbooks by this point). Any course will do, and if you can get free "hand-me-downs" from last year, all the better. I did the Dr. Walls course, which I found helpful, however I do not believe that I passed solely because of the course. Ultimately it will come down to how well you applied yourself to the material over the past four years and how good a job your residency did in training you.
As for the orals, I'm not sure anything can adequately prepare you for the experience, but I am glad I never have to do that again. I did both the Dr. Wall and Exampro courses and, again, found them to be highly informative and helpful. There are other courses out there that are also excellent and informative, I just found that these two concentrated on the aspect of the test that I thought was most important to me.
Good luck to all of you and I hope you are happy with the results!

got my score today in my mailbox. Pretty happy to be above the mean.

Anyone can tell me the mean score in 2009?
Thanks

Speak to your program director for the details as they have other useful info (i.e how you compared to your class, your residency, rest of the training programs).

Speak to your program director for the details as they have other useful info (i.e how you compared to your class, your residency, rest of the training programs).

Thanks.
Is 200 set as the mean score every year? How the score affects the fellowship application?

Hey guys don't worry about the CREOGS .

The written exam is what counts. As far as fellowship I think improving each year and being in the 230 range would be a good place to be. Also make sure you are publishing this I feel means more!!!!

The best course for written exam is Dr. Walls!!!! Everyone I know who has taken this course passes. Now the written exam like the CREOGS involves a quirky knowledge base

Walls website
http://www.obgynboardprep.com/course_description.htm

For knowledge I like Oslers and Exam Pro also Chicago has a nice oral review.

To our audience what are your thoughts on OB/GYN written and oral preparation?

Good luck
Diane

Last edited:
Sorry for my ignorance, but what are the CREOGS? Thanks, I'm a 3rd year medical student.