Creation of an Optometric Surgery Residency (analagous to OMFS for Dental)

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

So not only do you think OD's should be surgeons, now you think that OD's should actually become licensed physicians with ophthalmology board certification? Please, please fill us in on how you think that's going to happen.

This person is so delusional and so weak in intellect, that this thread has become unintentionally comical. We are truly witnessing the absurd.

I'm not sure whether I should cry or laugh.

Members don't see this ad.

so jefguth - how's school going?

if i'm not mistaken - ur in 2nd year? done yet?

I'm the one that is non-intelligent? Based on what? Again, your arguments are just hot air.

I think you're the one who is non-intelligent, based on bad grades in 20 credits, as well as your "halarious" (sic.) lack of spelling ability.

I never suggested anywhere that I was more intelligent than you (or anyone else) because I completed OD school. Do you just like to imagine arguments or WTF is going on with you?

As for grammar and sentences, if you're going to call someone unintelligent you really should get some of it right. After all, most of us stopped spelling phonetically after passing grade 5.

Haha...no. I assumed, due to all your posts regarding me, that you considered yourself smarter due to a degree. Most people do, just look at the pre-meds.

Do you not understand what the words "sentences" and "grammar" imply ?

"Most of us did stop spelling phonetically after passing grade 5 ?"

Okay, so you are calling everyone on this forum who does not spell correctly unintelligent ? Wow....you never know who might be writing on forums....:laugh:

You're pretty funny though.

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

So not only do you think OD's should be surgeons, now you think that OD's should actually become licensed physicians with ophthalmology board certification? Please, please fill us in on how you think that's going to happen.

I don't understand why many people hear try to put there own words into other peoples mouths.

I'm not going to even respond to you, since obviously you can't think while you're reading. What you have said here, is not what I mentioned.

Okay, so you are calling everyone on this forum who does not spell correctly unintelligent ?

What is with these jumps in "logic" you have? Where did I suggest this? This is why people get in disagreements all the time - it's because people make assumptions that lead to misunderstandings all the time.

If you want irony, it's to say "Your stupid".

Did you get that?

Calling someone unintelligent using text littered with errors is not the best way to go about making your point.

This person is so delusional and so weak in intellect, that this thread has become unintentionally comical. We are truly witnessing the absurd.

I'm not sure whether I should cry or laugh.

I'm not delusional, I'm just confident/right.

So weak in intellect, eh ? :laugh:

Again, who are you ?

What is with these jumps in "logic" you have? Where did I suggest this? This is why people get in disagreements all the time - it's because people make assumptions that lead to misunderstandings all the time.

If you want irony, it's to say "Your stupid".

Did you get that?

Calling someone unintelligent using text littered with errors is not the best way to go about making your point.

WOW! :eek:

Now, first I was just assuming you were unintelligent, but now, I'm 100% sure you are.

For the nth time, please re-read what I wrote and what you wrote. I'm not going to spoon feed you here.

I'm sorry Gochi.

It seems you had a troubled childhood. You seem to be trying to get back at the world for all the injustices you have been through.

We're not here to hurt you Gochi. If you try, we can be your friends.

Yes, you are protected by a veneer of the internet, but that is no reason to have to act all tough.

It's funny...this is exactly what I was thinking about while reading your recent posts.

Umm... can you explain to me what is exactly "extreme" in my position?

WOW! :eek:

Now, first I was just assuming you were unintelligent, but now, I'm 100% sure you are.

For the nth time, please re-read what I wrote and what you wrote. I'm not going to spoon feed you here.

I'm not sure how what I wrote led you to this conclusion.

You know, chances are, I'm more intelligent than you. So really, this 100% stuff, it's really quite meaningless.

I'm not sure how what I wrote led you to this conclusion.

You know, chances are, I'm more intelligent than you. So really, this 100% stuff, it's really quite meaningless.

Really ? Not that it matters, but why do you think that the chances of you being more intelligent then me are high ?

Hmm...if its quite meaningless, then why do you continue to respond ?

Please, spell it out. I really don't know.

I've spelled out what is "extreme" in your position. A desire for optometric surgery without any regard to relevant counter-arguments.

Your turn.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really ? Not that it matters, but why do you think that the chances of you being more intelligent then me are high ?

Hmm...if its quite meaningless, then why do you continue to respond ?

What is meaningless it that you assign a percentage (100%) to your certainty.

You have never met me. How would you know?

What is meaningless it that you assign a percentage (100%) to your certainty.

You have never met me. How would you know?

You're right.

But by you not realizing that you called me unintelligent because I spelled phonetically on a forum, you called everyone unintelligent, really shows how unintelligent you are.

But its just an assumption, people post silly stuff on here.

I've spelled out what is "extreme" in your position. A desire for optometric surgery without any regard to relevant counter-arguments.

Your turn.

Those arguments aren't relevant until the presence of uncertainty is diminished. So far I have heard blah blah blah. No one truly knows what they say will happen if things change, so I don't understand exactly why I can't make a probable proposition without having people who think they know everything completely demolish and moreso propagate what I have said into there own beliefs.

You're right.

But by you not realizing that you called me unintelligent because I spelled phonetically on a forum, you called everyone unintelligent, really shows how unintelligent you are.

But its just an assumption, people post silly stuff on here.

I did not, anywhere, call everyone on forums who misspells, unintelligent.

And to assume that I made the assumption you state, shows how unintelligent you are.

If it isn't clear yet (and it appears it isn't).

In this thread, I am calling you, and you alone, unintelligent.

(for all you observers, don't ask me why I got involved with this child-mind. I guess I like to get involved in an internet dust-up every once in a while, although I probably should've aimed a little higher in terms of whom I engaged as an intellectual opponent.)

Your turn.
Those arguments aren't relevant until the presence of uncertainty is diminished. So far I have heard blah blah blah. No one truly knows what they say will happen if things change, so I don't understand exactly why I can't make a probable proposition without having people who think they know everything completely demolish and moreso propagate what I have said into there own beliefs.

WTF reply is this? This is gibberish.

You haven't answered the prompt.

I did not, anywhere, call everyone on forums who misspells, unintelligent.

And to assume that I made the assumption you state, shows how unintelligent you are.

If it isn't clear yet (and it appears it isn't).

Wow, now you can't remember what you wrote ? Even after reading it ?...

This has gotten out of hand...again, why do you think I care about what you think about me ? I don't. I've said that in the past, yet you continue to reiterate.

You really think balding your words will contradict your initial intentions ?

And you believe you are arguing with a child-mind etc...the problem is that your argument is childish. Who goes on about accusing one of spelling in an online forum ?

Plus, briefly looking over this thread, you basically repeat answered questions I guess to make yourself feel better or something. I could name more things, but I really dont care qwopty99.

Wow, now you can't remember what you wrote ? Even after reading it ?...

This has gotten out of hand...again, why do you think I care about what you think about me ? I don't. I've said that in the past, yet you continue to reiterate.

You really think balding your words will contradict your initial intentions ?

And you believe you are arguing with a child-mind etc...the problem is that your argument is childish. Who goes on about accusing one of spelling in an online forum ?

None of us have to "remember" anything. It's all here.

I think you're the one who is non-intelligent, based on bad grades in 20 credits, as well as your "halarious" (sic.) lack of spelling ability.

As for grammar and sentences, if you're going to call someone unintelligent you really should get some of it right.

I think I've been pretty consistent in my position.

Plus, briefly looking over this thread, you basically repeat answered questions I guess to make yourself feel better or something. I could name more things, but I really dont care qwopty99.

I repeated answered questions? Where? And I'm making myself feel better by doing this? Why do you keep assuming behaviors in other people?

Show us all your claims. It's all here - if you're right, you should be able to come up with the evidence.

Why haven't you been able to?

Well, what would you like me to say ?

Explain to me what is exactly "extreme" in my position.

Umm... can you explain to me what is exactly "extreme" in my position?

Are you kidding me ? This must be another attempt to insult me.

Your turn.

So far I have heard blah blah blah.

So my position is "blah blah blah". In what way is that extreme? Sounds like my argument is pretty run-of-the mill.

You're just a load of hot air.

None of us have to "remember" anything. It's all here.

I think I've been pretty consistent in my position.

I repeated answered questions? Where? And I'm making myself feel better by doing this? Why do you keep assuming behaviors in other people?

Show us all your claims. It's all here - if you're right, you should be able to come up with the evidence.

Why haven't you been able to?

Good effort.

So you have been consistent at exposing how child-like you are ? Come on now.

I am not going to bother showing you any of my claims-too much effort required for that. As you have said, its all there. What I have written is true and I stand by it, so don't assume I'm a load of hot air.

I figured it out, the repetition, just by glancing, but I mean you're so intelligent that you should'nt even have to go back. Give me a break.

The reason why Im assuming a behaviour in you is quite possibly due to the consistent irrelavant thoughts you illustrate in your postings.

And as for the "extreme", I don't think you have one, which is basically your problem. Your arrogance or stupidity propagated this discussion further and further, until it got to the point where you looked exceptionally stupid. Really, if you look at this whole thread, you are the one with no ground to stand upon.

At least I'm definite and stated what I belived, but you just chime in here and there and try to preach. Grow up doc.

Really, if you look at this whole thread, you are the one with no ground to stand upon.

My opinions on the oph/opt debate are in my signature. I stand by them in every post I make.

Further, posting like a fanatic doesn't in itself make "ground to stand upon".

What ground have you stood upon? Haven't you noticed that most of the contributors to this thread are in disagreement with you?

And as for the "extreme", I don't think you have one, which is basically your problem. Your arrogance or stupidity propagated this discussion further and further, until it got to the point where you looked exceptionally stupid.

I don't see where I have looked "exceptionally stupid". Controversial? Perhaps. But "stupid"? How so?

I'm sorry if you didn't notice, but this has been a dialogue between the two of us, so why is it strictly my "arrogance or stupidity" that has deteriorated the discussion?

You're the one with the "extreme" views. You haven't denied this, and you concede my views are not "extreme".

So who's responsible for degeneration of the thread?

Wow, around 60 posts since I went to bed. It's too bad they added nothing to the discussion.

It's not fair for me to say gochi is just "hot air" without making my case. So here it is.

He implied I had an "extreme" position. I didn't think I expressed anything as such. So after stating what I felt was his "extreme" position, I requested that he elaborate his opinion of mine. He implied it was obvious beyond any mention. When pressed for details, he writes, Are you kidding me ? This must be another attempt to insult me.

Requested again and again, he continues to insinuate that I had one, implying it was my ignorance that made me fail to recognize it. Finally pressed for details, he writes:

And as for the "extreme", I don't think you have one,.

So gochi, you're a load of hot air. All your "arguments" and insults are generic, unevidenced, and full of it. You made it seem that it was so beyond obvious that I had an "extreme" view that you didn't need to elaborate. You even implied a lack of intelligence on my part for not agreeing. But in the end, it turns out your claims were all just bunk.

That's really bright. I guess all you can resort to is indiscriminate expression of grade-school insults.

Rather than spew generic criticisms to gochi's posts (as he has done to me), I'll be specific.

Gochi - as I said earlier, your argument is circular. If I had to distill it, it goes something like this:

Optometrist equals physician which equals surgeon. Therefore optometrists should do surgery (and anyone who disagrees is just part of the massive evil MD empire of greed and hostility).

That's a really bright argument. What happens if someone disagrees with the, Optometrist equals physician which equals surgeon part? But I guess you aren't bright enough to understand what circular logic means.

Regretably, this thread has degenerated into the usual petulant 3rd grade insults about who is smarter, or who has the best degree, or who uses the best grammar. Of course, none of this furthers the discusion in any meaningful so I'm going to drop out of the thread. If people want to discuss it further, you can PM me, but this is basically why I'm against this whole optometric surgery thing, in a nutshell.

1) There is simply no demand for it. I am a partner in a practice that is as "progressive" as any in the nation, we see hundreds of patients a week and we just have no demand for it. Every other office I have ever worked in, whether it be private, commercial, or some other variant has simply not had the damand for it. The economics of it make zero sense.

2) The amount of financial and political capital that you are going to have to spend to further this cause is going to be far far faaaaarrrrrr in excess of any benefit that you might get from it. In fact, I believe that it will cause MORE problems than it solves. You will NOT get more "respect" from patients, other collegues, other doctors, insurance companies, or drug companies by pursuing ocular surgery beyond the most superficial foreign bodies, and perhaps chalazions etc.

3) I think that many of you are grossly underestimating the value of medical school education in the preparation of someone to become a physician or surgeon. Yes, a 1st year ophthalmology resident is just as clueless at using a BIO as a 1st year optometry student, but that's not the point. Most of you are going to learn a TON about diabetic retinopathy, but you are going to learn very very little about diabetes. This is one of the biggest drawbacks of optometric education, and I think sadly students and prospective students don't realize that and they also don't realize how important it is. It is foundations like this that make someone a complete physician and surgeon. How much does optometry teach you about wound care and healing? Very little compared to medical school. But that's another example of something that helps form a strong foundation for surgical training. I would think that if you want to be a surgeon, you might want to have some experience in wound care, and in treating wounds.

I have been lucky enough (or unlucky enough, depending on how you want to look at it) to have been involved in training ophthalmology residents, so I've been in their environment when they are training and I can see with near certainty that by the middle or end of their second year, they have blown past most optometry students who are on the verge of graduating. That's not an indictment of optometry...it's just the way that it is.

4) There are so many other issues out there facing optometry that are far more critical than surgical rights, and these issues need to be address FIRST. If you honestly think that 3rd party payors are going to fall at optometry's feet and start paying us for everything once we get "surgical rights" then you are sadly mistaken. It will be just another in a loooong list of things that you can't get paid for. Don't put the cart before the horse here.

This isn't about "old school" or "progressive." It's about what's best for the profession right now and I can say with certainty that this surgical stuff is NOT it. And it's not even like a difference of opinion issue where both sides can say "ok yea, I can see why the other side might think this way or that way." Healthy debate is good, and I can respect varying viewpoints on most issues, but I think that this is going to be a rare time where as a practicing doctor and business owner I'm just going to insist that I'm right and ask you all to just trust me on this one. Direct your incredibly admirable energies to a different cause.

My opinions on the oph/opt debate are in my signature. I stand by them in every post I make.

Further, posting like a fanatic doesn't in itself make "ground to stand upon".

What ground have you stood upon? Haven't you noticed that most of the contributors to this thread are in disagreement with you?

Your opinions may be in your sig, but there not on this thread specisfically.

I don't post like a fanatic. I was simply replying to your ******ed responses.

If you really do not know what ground I have stood upon, then I'll assume you are indeed unintelligent.

So you say people don't agree with me. I say I don't care, which I have repeated several times. Again, you tend to ask answered questions for the sake of your apparent argument.

I don't see where I have looked "exceptionally stupid". Controversial? Perhaps. But "stupid"? How so?

I'm sorry if you didn't notice, but this has been a dialogue between the two of us, so why is it strictly my "arrogance or stupidity" that has deteriorated the discussion?

You're the one with the "extreme" views. You haven't denied this, and you concede my views are not "extreme".

So who's responsible for degeneration of the thread?

Again, you keep on asking answered questions. Why ? Do you need assurance or something :laugh:

I would have to say you are responsible for the degenartion of this thread.

Go look at the post history. I by no means directed anything towards you. But like always, you come in out of nowhere and try to put forth your meaningless opinion. Atleast, that's what it has become, due to your explicit stupidty illustrated by most of your responses.

:laugh:
It's not fair for me to say gochi is just "hot air" without making my case. So here it is.

He implied I had an "extreme" position. I didn't think I expressed anything as such. So after stating what I felt was his "extreme" position, I requested that he elaborate his opinion of mine. He implied it was obvious beyond any mention. When pressed for details, he writes, Are you kidding me ? This must be another attempt to insult me.

Requested again and again, he continues to insinuate that I had one, implying it was my ignorance that made me fail to recognize it. Finally pressed for details, he writes:

So gochi, you're a load of hot air. All your "arguments" and insults are generic, unevidenced, and full of it. You made it seem that it was so beyond obvious that I had an "extreme" view that you didn't need to elaborate. You even implied a lack of intelligence on my part for not agreeing. But in the end, it turns out your claims were all just bunk.

That's really bright. I guess all you can resort to is indiscriminate expression of grade-school insults.

Go ahead and say what you want. I've said it before,and I'll say it again, your oponions are meaningless to me because of your stupidty.

I really dont know what your talking about here. Extreme ? I already said you did'nt have one. Thats the point I'm trying to make here. For some reason, you think your great or something and feel that you should post irrelevant and moreso incorret statements about someone which would degrade that person so that you can feel better.

I did not imply that it was your ignorance that made you fail to recognize it. I said you were arrogant, period. And now Im saying you lack gray matter, period. I dont have to proove it to you. Just look at your recent postings. I've never encountered such infantile comments, so really I had to respond in a coherent primary way, which I did.

You say "all you can resort to is indiscriminate expression of grade-school insults" Thats really quite hilarious. Look at the post history, you are the on who intitated this. Again, it's not my fault that your answered questions intend for me were childish in nature.

Look qwopty99, gochi, I respect and admire both of your passions on this issue. I think that the fact that the two of you have such strong feelings about our profession speaks volumes. I'm doing my best to see where both of you are coming from, but this back-and-forth has become too rapid for me to keep track of. I hate to admit that I don't have the motivation to go back and read all of your posts...it just wouldn't be fun for me, but it would probably be a waste of time anyways and here's why: its clear that you two are in a bit of an argument, and the beauty of that is that nobody can win an argument. If you lose you lose, and if you win, you lose. A man convinced against is will is of the same opinion still. We've all posted things on the forums that have been taken the wrong way or could have been made more clear. It's just the nature of the medium. There's no sense picking eachother apart. Why don't each of you lay out a summary of your points one more time for the rest of us to read—not for eachother to refute. I have a feeling that you might find there are people on this board who agree with parts of what both of you say.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=514862

^ This is the "anecdotal evidence." Please, I don't make stuff up.

You are either an idiot, or misinformed like all egotistic medical doc's. Ask any NOVA student, and they will tell you the term "Optometric Physician" is neatly printed on there scrubs.
Note: There is no need for an apostrophe in "docs" and their is a pronoun, whereas there is not.

1. That is one pre-optometry student's accounting of an alleged verbal transaction between her and an eye care physician. Based on her account, the doctor was questioning why she wanted to go into optometry, offered reasons why she shouldn't (limited scope of practice, etc.), and encouraged medical school. So? I would hardly say he was bashing the entire profession of optometry. He is entitled to his opinion, isn't he? Let me ask you this, Mr. Gochi, if that student was pre-pharm, and made disparaging comments about pill-counters, would your panties be wound up? What if the student said "I wanna be a lawyer when I grow up!" and the doctor went on and on about bottom-feeding, blood-sucking parasite lawyers who are worthless because he's been sued before. Would this rub your rhubarb the wrong way? The fact is, there are some people out there who have strong opinions about given professions. I remember when I was doing my psychiatry residency, I would hear comments from preceptors, professors, fellow med students, and others that I was not going to be a real doctor, blah , blah, blah. Later, when I was in law school, my God, the comments and jokes people would say. Funny, everyone hates lawyers until they need one!

I've seen your posts in the pharmacy section and they were unkind to the pharmacists. You went on last year bitching about how a PharmD was overkill, pharmacists were overpaid, and all they did was count pills and they forgot their clinical knowledge. Couldn't some of those same points be applied to optometry? Not in your empty head.

2. I don't care what any optometry student at NOVA calls himself. This is hardly evidence of the existence of a health professional called an optometric physician. In Michigan, if any OD called himself that, he'd find himself in trouble for misrepresenting himself as a physician. Most states prohibit such nomenclature from being used by non MD/DO/DPMs. Other states are more liberal (e.g., Oregon and Washington). I don't care how you spin it, a chiropractor is not a chiropractic physician, a psychologist is not a psychological physician, a pharmacist is not a pharmaceutical physician, a lawyer is not a legal physician, a dentist is not a dental physician, an NP is not a Nurse Practitioner Physician, a PA is not a Physician Assistant Physician, an audiologist is not an audiometric physician, a vet is not a veterinary physician, and an optometrist is not an optometric physician. What do you call someone who holds an OD degree and is licensed to practice optometry in a state? You call him/her OPTOMETRIST. Is this concept hard for you to understand?

3. If I'm an idiot, why is it I can understand the difference between their and there? I can see with your razor sharp logic and highly refined critical reasoning skills how such a detail might not matter, but before you go around making ad hominem attacks regarding your opponent's intellect, you might wish to spell correctly and use proper punctuation.

4. Calling all physicians egotistical is simply ridiculous and quite absurd. Wouldn't that be like me saying all optos are med school rejects who play with dials all day? Don't make sweeping generalization about a group of people without backing it up. Not all physicians are arrogant. Believe it or not, some actually want to help patients and care about their fellow human beings.

I don't know what is exactly wrong with you. I never said I hate calling myself an Optometrist. Really, why are you asserting these falsified statements ? Are you upset or something ? I mean, if I am, I'll stop the logic. I'm actually pretty amazed at a 37 year old "doctor" talking like this. You finally came out of your shell.

I'm not sure where you're from, but either English is not your native tongue, or you have significant OBS most likely due to a previous TBI or possibly an anoxic event. At any rate, apparently reading comprehension was not your bag in elementary school, so let me parse this in very simple terms so even you, with your incomplete community college education can understand:

In several posts, you state optometric physician and optometric surgeon are terms that are appropriate. The evidence to support this is what some students have embroidered on their scrubs at some school in Florida. I never said you hated calling yourself optometrist, because you're not an optometrist, but I did say "what's wrong with the moniker of optometrist?" Why must everyone emulate physicians? Why do other health care professionals need to be like MDs? My point was, be happy as an optometrist, be unique, and celebrate your uniqueness and specialized skill sets -- don't go around posing as something you're not. I think most optometrists are above the "chiropractic complex" I'm referring to, but there are some, mostly students, like you and Oculomotor, who feel otherwise. Note how no practicing ODs are in agreement with you two, who don't even possess undergraduate degrees yet.

I don't know how old you are, what community college you're attempting to graduate from, or what your real purpose here is, but I would suggest you consult a physician about your condition. He/she might be able to extricate your empty cranium from your anus.

About the pathetic white coat. You mis-interpreted what I was saying, or maybe you may think I was not clear. Anyhow, I was refering to Opticians and not you.

Wow, such hostility toward opticians. Why is it pathetic that an optician wears a white coat, when it's perfectly acceptable for an optometrist to wear one? Do either of you encounter body fluids? I worked for several years in an inpatient psychiatric unit as an attending. When I did rounds, I sometimes wore a white coat, but rarely. I have been bitten, scratched, punched, and had my testicles twisted so hard I almost passed out, during the course of treating and interviewing patients. The mentally ill can be quite agitated at times, as you well know, but I never wore a white coat. For the life of me, I can't see why either an optician or an optometrist would choose to do so for any purpose other than to feel like a "doctor". I'm not trying to be mean, but honestly, why would any OD need one? Just wear nice and comfortable clothes. I can see why dentists wear them or scrubs, or if you're working in a hospital that requires it (like the VA), but in your own shop? You just make yourself look like a tool.

Hmm...what makes you think you, an MD, are the only ones capable of wearing a white coat ? What makes you think you are the only one's to be called doctors ?
What makes you think a white coat, and the term "doctor" are strictly trappings of Medicine ?

Actually, lab coats started with scientists who used them to protect their clothes and bodies from chemicals and other irritants while conducting experiments. Physicians started to wear them due to direct contact with patients. Blood, saliva, etc., are things to avoid and the white coats would protect clothing. It also became a quasi-uniform for medicine as it was white and clean-looking. I have no problem with any health care worker wearing a lab coat or smock when it's necessary. Nurses, pods, pharmacists, dentists, vets all work with compounds, drugs, elixirs, body fluids, and other nasty stuff and need them for protection. Chiros, PTs, ODs, audiologists, and SLPs do not do anything invasive, do not touch body fluids, and in general, have no reason for a white coat or scrubs.

Can I not wear a white coat in my optical shop, because I fell like it ? I like the white coat, it makes me look thin, or strong.
Note: Try using a semicolon; it is a nice way to separate two unrelated clauses.

Yeah, it also makes you look like a tool. Maybe you think it'll get you laid or something? Do you think it impresses the chics? LOL. Who knows, wear your white coat and maybe some hottie will ask you out thinking you'll give her a discount on prime rib (because she thinks you work at the deli at a grocery store).

You're like a kid; you complain a lot, and you mis-interpret what I say. Let me break it down for you, as one would say.

Opticians don't want to be Optometrists

Do you still not understand what I was trying to imply previously ?

Yeah, I'm just like a kid. I'm not the 20-something working hard to raise his GPA in community college so I can grow up to be an optometric surgeon one day in my own gated community of a mind. How would you know what opticians want? You're not even an optician. You're a student. You have no place to comment on any of this. You're making sweeping generalizations and incorrect inferences about a profession that you know nothing about. If you actually knew what an optometrist did, you would not be here advocating for such drastic reform. If you actually knew what an OD degree prepared you for, you wouldn't be wanting to perform complex ocular surgeries.

Just like a kid, however, you think you know it all and continue to pepper this forum with your pukey pablum insisting you are making rational, educated points. Gochi = FAIL. Not just any fail, but massive FAIL. You are not only misinformed, but obviously intellectually challenged enough to continue spewing your self-serving nonsense and insulting others on here. Stop now and go back to playing Pokemon. When you actually complete a professional degree and obtain a license to practice, then come back and discuss your views with the grown ups rationally and logically.

Kthx, bai!
Zack

ProZackMI,

You make very interesting and well thought out points. But I assure you the "white coat" is very important to me being born into a medical family and the fact that my eye doctor of many years (an optometrist) wears one! It is just a symbol of medical professionalism that I hold in very high regard (whether one is a dentist, optometrist, ophthalmologist, podiatrist, etc...) and important for respect. I read a couple studies about the "white coat" a year back (I will find them and send them by PM to you) that delineated the importance of wearing one and the positive image with patients. On your other point about my intentions for going into optometry----I want to be an eye doctor---an optometrist---->75% of patients' primary eye doctors in this country are OD's. I like the field and think it is a great fit for me. I diid not apply for medical school but I did smoke the MCAT (33) when I was still deciding on what to do----> Hell I took the OAT, MCAT, and science GRE all around the same time. The whole surgery thing is just another future pathway (hypothetically) for a small number in our profession. My idea is to emulate dentistry not medicine. I for one will be sooo proud when I can have on my business card Dr. So and So , Optometrist. :)

You do make interesting posts! lol

• For the recent flame war that started, STOP!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbdown:

ProZackMI

I thought your post was excellent. However, I'd just like to point out somewhere where I don't agree.

You've made repeated claims that pro-surgical ODs are that way out of inferiority. I don't think you can make that conclusion. One could easily argue that those who do NOT want surgery are suffering from inferiority. So which extreme is it? Those who want surgery or those who don't?

I think it's pretty clear the pro-surgical optom students here are not exhibiting "inferiority", but they are certainly showing ego.

Bottom line: I don't think it's correct for you to paint in big strokes, a caricature of optometrists and apply it to all instances of outspoken ODs.

Qwopty99,

You're right and I stand corrected. Actually, my point was not that ODs who wish to perform surgery have an inferiority complex, but they want an easy way into a very guarded profession; a back-door entrance if you will. Furthermore, based on the so-called logical reasoning put forth in this thread, which needs to be killed soon, I would infer the following:

1) Those ODs who wish to perform surgery do not want to be optometrists. An optometrist is a very unique health professional with specialized skills. An opto is not a physician, nor is he/she a surgeon. Those that want to perform surgery want to be surgeons, not optometrists. Do you see these OD surgeons doing refraction or other normal OD tasks? Hell no; they will be in the operating rooms making big bucks, looking their noses down on ODs like you, and they would separate themselves from other ODs professionally, creating a false dichotomy -- a rift in the profession.

If you want to be an OD, fine; this is cool and it's a damn good profession with room to grow, but surgery is not gonna happen. If you want to be a surgeon, there is only one route to get there: medical school.

We've been focusing a lot on name-calling and personal attacks. Let's ALL act like adults and go back to the real issue, which is should optometrists perform surgery after completing a specialized residency after OD school, not medical school?

I believe most of us, including most practicing ODs, say NO.

I'd like everyone to consider the following examples. I'll use hypothetical scenarios to illustrate my point.

1. Jimmy wants to be a police detective. He watches several cop shows on TV and thinks it would be cool. Jimmy goes off to community college and takes some law enforcement classes. He signs up for the police academy, gets in, and finishes the academy. He hires on with a local dept., but is appalled that he is assigned to regular cop duty -- you know, traffic stops, driving around in a patrol car, writing tickets, etc. Jimmy wants to be a detective right away and not deal with that mundane crap. Jimmy finds out that the county next to his allows anyone who passes a written test to apply for detective, even non-academy trained civilians. He takes the test, passes, and gets hired as a detective without ever having worked as a patrol officer. He has no experience investigating B&Es, no experience dealing with drunk drivers, domestic violence, theft, armed robbery, etc. Jimmy has taken the back door into being a police detective. Jimmy has no law enforcement experience. In fact, at age 20, he barely has any life experience to call upon.

How many think he'll solve that triple homicide?

2. Bob never went to law school, but by God, he wants to be the next Judge Roy Brown. Bob makes great decisions, is intelligent, and is able to calmly and cooly explain his decisions to his children and wife, but like I said, never attended law school, never took the bar exam, and never finished college. Bob has no clue what the model penal code is, never read his state's constitution, and thinks Civil Procedure means to act nicely. Bob thinks Habeas corpus is a city in Texas and that precedent is the office Hilary and Obama are trying to win. He has no clue what court rules are and learned all his rules of evidence from CSI and Law and Order, where he also learned most of his legal skills. Bob's state wants to adopt a law allowing anyone to run for district court judges. The only requirements are: 21 or older, no felony or misdemeanors on your record, and you must be registered to vote. Bob meets all those conditions. Would you vote Bob into a judgeship?

Yeah, we can be frustrated about how idiotic some judges are, but honestly, I don't want just anyone in a court, I want an attorney who understands the law, rules of evidence, civil procedure, criminal procedure, constitutional law, etc., to be making judicial decisions, not someone who went to cosmetology school or who has a degree in accounting. Do you?

There are no back doors to some professions because of public safety issues. Medicine and surgery are such a profession. Medical school gives you certain skills that other professional programs do not. You can dispute this, but it's a fact. I challenge you to find an OD-MD out there. Ask him or her which is harder, medical or optometry school. Ask him/her what profession he/she is practicing now. I would guess that medical school and medicine are the answers you'd get 9 times out of 10, if not 10/10. Ask that OD-MD what he thinks about his medical education compared to this optometry education. You'll get an unbiased and honest answer I'm sure. This does NOT mean optometry is inferior. It does not mean you ODs are inferior. No one has said that.

Trust me, no one thinks an OD is less intelligent or capable of doing anything, but no matter how much you know about the eye, your training does not prepare you to perform surgery. Remember, it's not just about the eye, it's about the person on the table; the big picture. You might understand NPDR, but how much does your average OD understand about IDDM or NIDDM and the medical management of the disease? How many ODs understand CHF, HTN, CAD, and other vascular conditions that may relate to the eye?

Hell, I graduated from medical school and I know that even the OD students on here can outperform me in ocular dx and tx. My eye-related training was minimal. Other than FB removals and scripts for conjunctivitis, I wouldn't trust myself to do anything eye-related, but would trust most of you with my own eyes without reservation. Your knowledge is not in question. Your skills are not in dispute. However, if any optometrist on here thinks you know more than a medical grad about MEDICINE, you're delusional. I'm sorry to say, surgery is a subset of medicine, not optometry. Your training in eye care is superior, but your training in comprehensive systemic medicine is next to nil. Your education is exceptional for what you do, but even with a residency, you'd be putting your patients at risk by lacking essential and critical knowledge.

Don't go around and make arguments about the dentists and OMFS. There was a need and dentists filled the need. Dentists are trained to do invasive procedures and do learn more medical management than ODs. I agree, most dentists wouldn't know squat about comprehensive medical tx, but OMFS is where it is. It's just one of those things. Just because it happened for dentistry, does not mean it should or will work for optometry; they are two, totally unrelated fields.

A few years ago, audiologists, who practiced with master's degrees, looked around and saw you guys with your fancy OD degrees, DPA and TPA privis, and insurance reimbursement, and said, "HEY, why are they doctors and we're master's-level providers? We do almost the exact same thing, but for the ears. We should be doctors too! And why can they prescribe and we can't? Why? Why? Why?" They made a good point as both audiology and optometry were very similar. Their profession evolved and continues to evolve. Today, they are graduating AuD's more than master's, and they are trying to enhance their scopes of practice to parallel the ODs. This, IMO, is justified; it is logical and makes sense. Audiology and optometry are very similar; two different sense organs, but the functions of both jobs are essentially the same and the training should be consistent and the scopes of practice should not differ greatly. Thus, the audios becoming more like you optos was a good, sound (excuse the pun) move.

The ODs who look around at the OMDs and say "HEY! Why can't I do surgery like them?" Well, that's a whole different issue and is not a fair comparison. Medicine and optometry are not the same, nor are they similar. What an OD does differs greatly from what an OMD does, even though there are some overlaps. You really can't compare an OD to an MD or the training required to obtain either degree; it's not even close to the same thing.

There are no acceptable back doors into some protected professions. You can't be a judge anymore without getting a college degree, a Juris Doctorate, and passing the bar. You can't be a school principal without being a certified teacher and having teaching experience. You can't be a police detective without first being a road cop. You can't be a surgeon without graduating from medical , dental, or podiatry school, completing a residency, and obtaining a license to practice. That is how it is. It may not seem fair, but there are reasons why these barriers exist.

I'll leave you with this statement. NPs are now getting DNP degrees (doctor of nurse practitioner). They are advocating for residencies. Some NPs are calling for surgical privileges for NPs who complete such surgical residencies.

Physical therapists are now getting DPT degrees. They want direct access to patients, not just referrals from MD/DOs. They want to be able to order MRIs, CTs, and x-rays. They want to be treating specialists. In time, they will want primary care status and quite possibly, with additional training, prescriptive authority and surgical privileges.

Audiologists will soon be wanting RxPs to parallel you guys. In time, will the AuDs want to be doing ENT procedures after a residency?

It's a slippery slope. Our current health care system is not a perfect one -- far from it, but for the most part, it does keep most people safe and ensures that those who cut into us are properly trained in MEDICINE, not just ocular medicine.

Zack

"Note: There is no need for an apostrophe in "docs" and their is a pronoun, whereas there is not.
1. That is one pre-optometry student's accounting of an alleged verbal transaction between her and an eye care physician. Based on her account, the doctor was questioning why she wanted to go into optometry, offered reasons why she shouldn't (limited scope of practice, etc.), and encouraged medical school. So? I would hardly say he was bashing the entire profession of optometry. He is entitled to his opinion, isn't he? Let me ask you this, Mr. Gochi, if that student was pre-pharm, and made disparaging comments about pill-counters, would your panties be wound up? What if the student said "I wanna be a lawyer when I grow up!" and the doctor went on and on about bottom-feeding, blood-sucking parasite lawyers who are worthless because he's been sued before. Would this rub your rhubarb the wrong way? The fact is, there are some people out there who have strong opinions about given professions. I remember when I was doing my psychiatry residency, I would hear comments from preceptors, professors, fellow med students, and others that I was not going to be a real doctor, blah , blah, blah. Later, when I was in law school, my God, the comments and jokes people would say. Funny, everyone hates lawyers until they need one!

I've seen your posts in the pharmacy section and they were unkind to the pharmacists. You went on last year bitching about how a PharmD was overkill, pharmacists were overpaid, and all they did was count pills and they forgot their clinical knowledge. Couldn't some of those same points be applied to optometry? Not in your empty head."

--------------------------------------------------------------
This is the conversation from the previously posted link.

"Hey guys, so I went to the Opthamologist today because I had an appointment for my case of dry eyes (my optometrist was a good for nothing that kept offering some lame drops that never work) and so as he dilated my eyes, he asked me what I was doing with my life. I told him I was interested in Optometry..and he just cuts me off and says "WHY!?? Why would you do that to yourself? Cmon you don't want that. All you're really going to be doing is prescribing and selling glasses. This is where you want to be. All that debt youre going to be in and just to be limited to that???" lol he made a scene and sounded really pissed. He wants me to goto medical school and be an opthamologist if anything lol But I dont want to do medicine."

You can tell by the doc's tone that he was indeed looking down upon the profession of Optometry. She even mentions that the doc created a scene. I guess this can be interpreted differently.

I was bitching ? That's hilarious coming from you sir.
Pharmacists are overpaid, and effectively, there job entails counting pills. This is my "strong opinion" about the profession of Pharmacy.

Those points, about pharmacy, might apply to Optometry, more or less. But, allowing OD's to incorporate surgery would eliminate some of those points.
----------------------------------------------------------------

2. I don't care what any optometry student at NOVA calls himself. This is hardly evidence of the existence of a health professional called an optometric physician. In Michigan, if any OD called himself that, he'd find himself in trouble for misrepresenting himself as a physician. Most states prohibit such nomenclature from being used by non MD/DO/DPMs. Other states are more liberal (e.g., Oregon and Washington). I don't care how you spin it, a chiropractor is not a chiropractic physician, a psychologist is not a psychological physician, a pharmacist is not a pharmaceutical physician, a lawyer is not a legal physician, a dentist is not a dental physician, an NP is not a Nurse Practitioner Physician, a PA is not a Physician Assistant Physician, an audiologist is not an audiometric physician, a vet is not a veterinary physician, and an optometrist is not an optometric physician. What do you call someone who holds an OD degree and is licensed to practice optometry in a state? You call him/her OPTOMETRIST. Is this concept hard for you to understand?

--------------------------------------------------------------

I've already made clear that an optometrist is an optometric physician. No matter how educated you are, you cannot argue that fact. Again, stop asking answered questions, like qwopty99. It's getting quite ridiculous now.

3. If I'm an idiot, why is it I can understand the difference between their and there? I can see with your razor sharp logic and highly refined critical reasoning skills how such a detail might not matter, but before you go around making ad hominem attacks regarding your opponent's intellect, you might wish to spell correctly and use proper punctuation.

---------------------------------------------------------------
The comment about my spelling was quite hilarious.
I see you think like qwopty99. Not that it relly maters, but I think you should read the evident statements I have made about him, as they will apply to you. I hate to say this, but I really thought doc's were more intelligent.

4. Calling all physicians egotistical is simply ridiculous and quite absurd. Wouldn't that be like me saying all optos are med school rejects who play with dials all day? Don't make sweeping generalization about a group of people without backing it up. Not all physicians are arrogant. Believe it or not, some actually want to help patients and care about their fellow human beings.

I'm not sure where you're from, but either English is not your native tongue, or you have significant OBS most likely due to a previous TBI or possibly an anoxic event. At any rate, apparently reading comprehension was not your bag in elementary school, so let me parse this in very simple terms so even you, with your incomplete community college education can understand:

In several posts, you state optometric physician and optometric surgeon are terms that are appropriate. The evidence to support this is what some students have embroidered on their scrubs at some school in Florida. I never said you hated calling yourself optometrist, because you're not an optometrist, but I did say "what's wrong with the moniker of optometrist?" Why must everyone emulate physicians? Why do other health care professionals need to be like MDs? My point was, be happy as an optometrist, be unique, and celebrate your uniqueness and specialized skill sets -- don't go around posing as something you're not. I think most optometrists are above the "chiropractic complex" I'm referring to, but there are some, mostly students, like you and Oculomotor, who feel otherwise. Note how no practicing ODs are in agreement with you two, who don't even possess undergraduate degrees yet.

You can stop pretending now. It's human nature to look out for yourself no matter how hard you are trained to look out for others. I could back it up, and I can relate a personal experience that I had with an MD, but believe me, it will not change my original fact. It will just make you feel more like dense s**t.

You really think you know everything, dont you. Stop making these ridiculous assumptions about me and about what I think. That's all I really have to say.

You seriously think we want to emulate physcians ? I mean thats just ridiculous. I look down at physcians, like you, for the very reason they think everyone looks up to them. You guys are the ones with the "god-like" complexes.

You say, "note how no practicing ODs are in agreement with you two, who don't even possess undergraduate degrees yet." I say that's fine, this let's me know I'm right.

I don't know how old you are, what community college you're attempting to graduate from, or what your real purpose here is, but I would suggest you consult a physician about your condition. He/she might be able to extricate your empty cranium from your anus.

Nice. So this is what you were thought during MD school ?

Wow, such hostility toward opticians. Why is it pathetic that an optician wears a white coat, when it's perfectly acceptable for an optometrist to wear one? Do either of you encounter body fluids? I worked for several years in an inpatient psychiatric unit as an attending. When I did rounds, I sometimes wore a white coat, but rarely. I have been bitten, scratched, punched, and had my testicles twisted so hard I almost passed out, during the course of treating and interviewing patients. The mentally ill can be quite agitated at times, as you well know, but I never wore a white coat. For the life of me, I can't see why either an optician or an optometrist would choose to do so for any purpose other than to feel like a "doctor". I'm not trying to be mean, but honestly, why would any OD need one? Just wear nice and comfortable clothes. I can see why dentists wear them or scrubs, or if you're working in a hospital that requires it (like the VA), but in your own shop? You just make yourself look like a tool.

I'm just shaking my head at you have written here...give me a moment.

An Optician goes to school for two years, whereas an OD goes to school for 7-9. If a white coat makes the optometric physcian or optometrist look professional in the eyes of customers etc. then why not wear the white coat ? I don't have a problem with Opticians wearing a white coat, I just think its pathetic. It's my opinion.

Really, get over yourself misinformed MD.

Actually, lab coats started with scientists who used them to protect their clothes and bodies from chemicals and other irritants while conducting experiments. Physicians started to wear them due to direct contact with patients. Blood, saliva, etc., are things to avoid and the white coats would protect clothing. It also became a quasi-uniform for medicine as it was white and clean-looking. I have no problem with any health care worker wearing a lab coat or smock when it's necessary. Nurses, pods, pharmacists, dentists, vets all work with compounds, drugs, elixirs, body fluids, and other nasty stuff and need them for protection. Chiros, PTs, ODs, audiologists, and SLPs do not do anything invasive, do not touch body fluids, and in general, have no reason for a white coat or scrubs.

Note: Try using a semicolon; it is a nice way to separate two unrelated clauses.

Yeah, it also makes you look like a tool. Maybe you think it'll get you laid or something? Do you think it impresses the chics? LOL. Who knows, wear your white coat and maybe some hottie will ask you out thinking you'll give her a discount on prime rib (because she thinks you work at the deli at a grocery store).

Huh?

That's hilarious. Is that why you attended MD school ? :laugh:

Then you realized, you were to ugly etc., so you went into law for some reason. But now you realize that everyone hates lawyers. And now you are stuck as an ugly MD and a hated lawyer. Damn, what a waste of money and life really.

Yeah, I'm just like a kid. I'm not the 20-something working hard to raise his GPA in community college so I can grow up to be an optometric surgeon one day in my own gated community of a mind. How would you know what opticians want? You're not even an optician. You're a student. You have no place to comment on any of this. You're making sweeping generalizations and incorrect inferences about a profession that you know nothing about. If you actually knew what an optometrist did, you would not be here advocating for such drastic reform. If you actually knew what an OD degree prepared you for, you wouldn't be wanting to perform complex ocular surgeries.

Meh...I don't have to work hard to get a respectable gpa. I just have to attend classes, which I'm doing right now.

It's logic. Opticians are opticians because they don't want to go through additional schooling and/or debt. Plus it takes time and sacrifices and a whole lot of other things, which they aren't ready to give up.

And exactly who are you to comment on the issue of opticians and optometrists. You're neither.

You got problems doc. I never stated that I wanted OD's to be able to "perform complex ocular surgeries." I said minor surgeries.

Just like a kid, however, you think you know it all and continue to pepper this forum with your pukey pablum insisting you are making rational, educated points. Gochi = FAIL. Not just any fail, but massive FAIL. You are not only misinformed, but obviously intellectually challenged enough to continue spewing your self-serving nonsense and insulting others on here. Stop now and go back to playing Pokemon. When you actually complete a professional degree and obtain a license to practice, then come back and discuss your views with the grown ups rationally and logically.

Sure I fail, but I always get up. But I mean your the glorified MD, you never fail. Give me a break. And I don't know what you're talking about when your telling me that I have failed. I'm not the one who attended MD school then Law school.

Grown-ups? Again, this is hilarious. Like I said, I don't have to be significantly educated to be correct. You think you're right just because you have earned a degree ? See, you're the one with the complex. Besides, why did you go into Psychiatry ? Were you too stupid to get into other specialties ?

Maybe I will go play pokemon. But atleast I won't be sadistic everyday of my life due to my abominated career.
Now, maybe you may think that your idea's/opinions are more rational then mine, but unless you are an Optometrist and are absolutely certain about your claims, which no one is, then your ideas/opinions are just as rational as mine.

Regretably, this thread has degenerated into the usual petulant 3rd grade insults about who is smarter, or who has the best degree, or who uses the best grammar. Of course, none of this furthers the discusion in any meaningful so I'm going to drop out of the thread.

Unless there is a heroic resuscitation of this thread back to intelligent and rational discussion, I'm out too.

Dr. Elder, I always enjoy reading your posts. You represent optometry well. For what it's worth, I don't think either one of us are "old school."

This thread is now officially decaffeinated.

The personal attacks in this thread have already driven away a few valuable posters. Please get back to the topic at hand and refrain from attacking each other.

"Note: There is no need for an apostrophe in "docs" and their is a pronoun, whereas there is not.
I know this is off-topic, but "there" can be used as a pronoun.:rolleyes:

I've already made clear that an optometrist is an optometric physician. No matter how educated you are, you cannot argue that fact.

lol.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO2Abp0FbA0[/YOUTUBE]

I give this discussion a 9.5!

- I've already made clear that an optometrist is an optometric physician. No matter how educated you are, you cannot argue that fact.

- You seriously think we want to emulate physcians ? I mean thats just ridiculous. I look down at physcians, like you, for the very reason they think everyone looks up to them. You guys are the ones with the "god-like" complexes.

- It's logic. Opticians are opticians because they don't want to go through additional schooling and/or debt. Plus it takes time and sacrifices and a whole lot of other things, which they aren't ready to give up.

The amount of cognitive dissonance going on in your head must be staggering. I'm surprised you're able to type this stuff without your head exploding.

An optometrist is an optometric physician only because somewhere along the line, an optometrist decided to call himself/herself that. Like someone said earlier, you can call yourself whatever you want, but it doesn't make it true.

- Then you realized, you were to ugly etc., so you went into law for some reason. But now you realize that everyone hates lawyers. And now you are stuck as an ugly MD and a hated lawyer. Damn, what a waste of money and life really.

- Grown-ups? Again, this is hilarious. Like I said, I don't have to be significantly educated to be correct. You think you're right just because you have earned a degree ? See, you're the one with the complex. Besides, why did you go into Psychiatry ? Were you too stupid to get into other specialties ?

- Maybe I will go play pokemon. But atleast I won't be sadistic everyday of my life due to my abominated career.

Wow. You're really winning people over with this brilliant discourse.

An optometrist is an optometrist. We are not optometric physicians. Let's cut the bull@t.
gochi, go out and buy yourself a very expensive luxury car with OD plates on it and the year you graduate perhaps you might feel better about your low self esteem. using the term optometric physician sounds ridiculous. yet, you and a few other practicing OD's/ academics do not realize how stupid that sounds. Ophthalmology laughs at us when they hear the term optometric physician. Cry for help. Please...........
Be proud you are going to be an OD and stop playing with injections of all sorts.
icon12.gif

For all the idiots who don't think OD's aren't Optometric Physicians, take a look at this.

http://alumni-osu.org/sarasota/images/BusinessCards/Bockhold.jpg

Heck, google Optometric Physicians and the majority of the output websites will be societies, associations of opometric physicians, not optometrists, even though they are effectively the same thing.

Definition:
Optometric physicians are independent primary health care providers who examine, diagnose, treat and manage diseases and disorders of the visual system, the eye and associated structures as well as diagnose related systemic conditions

^This information is from www.eyes.org , or the Optometric Physicians of Washington

Defintion:
Optometrist: A health care professional who is licensed to provide primary eye care services: to examine and diagnose eye diseases such as glaucoma , cataracts , and retinal diseases and, in certain states in the U.S., to treat them; to diagnose related systemic (bodywide) conditions such as hypertension and diabetes that may affect the eyes; to examine, diagnose and treat visual conditions such as nearsightedness , farsightedness , astigmatism and presbyopia ; and to prescribe glasses, contact lenses, low vision rehabilitation and medications as well as perform minor surgical procedures such as the removal of foreign bodies.

^This information is from www.medicinenet.com.

So, now you can see, if you were to lethargic to before, that optometrist=optometric physician.

Now, I could care less about the term physician being associated with my name etc. but it is what it is. I agree with eyestrain, for once, that "an optometrist decided to call himself/herself that", a optometric physician. But you state "you can call yourself whatever you want, but it doesn't make it true." True? Relative to who and to what extent ? And by saying that, you are calling the entire NOVA optometric student body/profs/admins etc. liars.

If the term optometric physician was so irrelevant in the optometric world, then why is it grossly being used ? I'm pretty sure there are OD's/Asmin's etc. such as yourselves who are capable of eliminating the term optometric physician, but why do they not ?
I say optometrist=optometric physician for the same reason that it can't be eliminated from the optometric world, and if it could it would have. So really, I'm not alone in this discussion as some people have said, but again, I could care less.

For all the idiots who don't think OD's aren't Optometric Physicians, take a look at this.

http://alumni-osu.org/sarasota/images/BusinessCards/Bockhold.jpg

You guys are truly idiots for not understanding that an Optometrist is an Optometric Physician.

Heck, google Optometric Physicians and the majority of the output websites will be societies, associations of opometric physicians, not optometrists, even though they are effectively the same thing.

Definition:
Optometric physicians are independent primary health care providers who examine, diagnose, treat and manage diseases and disorders of the visual system, the eye and associated structures as well as diagnose related systemic conditions

^This information is from www.eyes.org , or the Optometric Physicians of Washington

Defintion:
Optometrist: A health care professional who is licensed to provide primary eye care services: to examine and diagnose eye diseases such as glaucoma , cataracts , and retinal diseases and, in certain states in the U.S., to treat them; to diagnose related systemic (bodywide) conditions such as hypertension and diabetes that may affect the eyes; to examine, diagnose and treat visual conditions such as nearsightedness , farsightedness , astigmatism and presbyopia ; and to prescribe glasses, contact lenses, low vision rehabilitation and medications as well as perform minor surgical procedures such as the removal of foreign bodies.

^This information is from www.medicinenet.com.

So, now you can see, if you were to lethargic to before, that optometrist=optometric physician.

Now, I could care less about the term physician being associated with my name etc. but it is what it is. I agree with eyestrain, for once, that "an optometrist decided to call himself/herself that", a optometric physician. But you state "you can call yourself whatever you want, but it doesn't make it true." True? Relative to who and to what extent ? And by saying that, you are calling the entire NOVA optometric student body/profs/admins etc. liars.

If the term optometric physician was so irrelevant in the optometric world, then why is it grossly being used ?
You have got to be kidding me. You linked us to some doc's business card (notice proper use of apostrophe there) to make a point? What are you doing? None of us are so naïve as to believe that the term "optometric physician" hasn't been used before. We know that's what some people call themselves. Optometry is not standardized across the nation (and it probably shouldn't be). All of your evidence is irrelevant because you're clearly missing the point. Would you care to tell me why you think the term optometric physician exists? I'll give you a hint: there is one and only one reason to defend the use of the term optometric physician, and that is so that we receive equal reimbursement from medical insurance providers for the procedures we code.

If you really don't care about whether or not the term physician is associated with your name, would you have made that post? I mean honestly, you wouldn't have felt the need if that were true. I've had similar discussions with podiatry students insistent upon their so-called right to call themselves "med students" out of context b/c they attend "podiatric medical school," i.e., podiatry school. I'm really starting to wish you'd go join that camp instead and quit spewing this kind of puffery all over the optometry boards. Just cool down. All you're doing is spinning your wheels here.

An optometrist is an optometrist. We are not optometric physicians. Let's cut the bull@t.
gochi, go out and buy yourself a very expensive luxury car with OD plates on it and the year you graduate perhaps you might feel better about your low self esteem. using the term optometric physician sounds ridiculous. yet, you and a few other practicing OD's/ academics do not realize how stupid that sounds. Ophthalmology laughs at us when they hear the term optometric physician. Cry for help. Please...........
Be proud you are going to be an OD and stop playing with injections of all sorts.
icon12.gif

Hey, I'll definetly be proud of being an OD, but why not add something extra to the profession (minor surgery) ? Who said opthamologists are the only ones capable of performing eye surgery ? If someone did say it and it did happen then I'm sure if many people agree with the idea of OD's doing surgery, then this too will happen.

I don't care if it upsets Opthamologists. They don't care about us so screw them.

Example:

"...I'll feel a lot better about getting respect when discrimination against O.D.s by the medically controlled insurance panels has been eliminated, or at least vastly improved." -- Gary E. Radish, O.D., Clarksville, Tenn.

^ From revoptom.com

Status
Not open for further replies.