Crazy omfs route

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothmaniac

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, has anybody heard of someone finishing dental school then going to medical school with the ultimate goal to pursue OMFS? I realize it's an unconventional approach but if someone were in the position of being very interested in OMFS with less than great performance in dental school/board scores, this route wouldn't be that bad. It is especially difficult to enhance your application if boards go to P/F and can't be retaken for a higher score. I've heard numerous stories of people doing gpr's/internships for 2 years before getting into an omfs program for another 4-6. It would seem that 4 years of medical school followed by a 4 year omfs program would be basically equivalent timewise, with a decent chance of getting into a 4 year OMFS program since you'd already have the DDS and MD and USMLE passed. Anybody heard of anyone doing this? Any thoughts appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

I found this on google :D
TUAN BUI ACCEPTS POSITION AS HEAD AND NECK FELLOW, 2009-2010
The 2009‐2010 fellow will be Tuan Bui, M.D., D.D.S. Tuan is another physician who later went to dental school. He a˘ended Western Ontario School of Medicine and then went to McGill Dental School in Montreal. He then completed the four year OMFS program at Harvard. Tuan has prac ced in the New York City area and is now returning to fellowship as a springboard into an academic career or life’s next opportunity

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you do that? Alot of OMFS programs include two years of medical school and give you the MD at the end.

Nice find on Dr. Bui. Cool.

Why would you do that? Alot of OMFS programs include two years of medical school and give you the MD at the end.

Like I said, if you weren't at the top in dental school. OMFS programs are competitive and you might develop an interest later in school. This means you might not have been gunning for it from the beginning and you're competing with people who have. In the past you could retake boards and do an internship to increase your chances, but that's not the case anymore with boards being P/F. I know several OMFS residents that didn't get in until 2-3 years of gprs/internships which means they'll have 6-9 years of post dental school training. With this route it would be 8 years which is comparable.

you would still have to do a 1-2 year post-med school medical/surgery internship to become licensed so that the MD actually means anything. Honestly, this seems to be about the longest route to be an OMS in my opinion, but if you finally obtain your goal it may be worth it. It just seems like a lot of wasted years and money to me.

you would still have to do a 1-2 year post-med school medical/surgery internship to become licensed so that the MD actually means anything. Honestly, this seems to be about the longest route to be an OMS in my opinion, but if you finally obtain your goal it may be worth it. It just seems like a lot of wasted years and money to me.

+1

That would be a complete waste of time. Plus, I would bet no medical school in the country would take you when they find out that:

A: You already have a DMD/DDS and
B: You are only using medical school to hop into OMFS

This would be a complete and utter waste of time and money and I doubt it would ever work. You are better off doing externships, getting great LOR, and trying to get into OMFS straight out of Dental School.

med school is way more fun and interesting when you know you are already matched to omfs.........the med students are 10x as competitive as dental students.....its pathologic.

You can get an MD license after med school + 1 year in a hospital which would be accomplished by any residency including OMFS. Complete and utter waste of time is a strong statement considering you'd be working toward something you're passionate about. Furthermore, I really don't think medical schools would frown upon an applicant successfully obtaining a doctor of dental surgery who has experience in treating patients - probably makes you more prepared to handle the curriculum than people who think they did the miracle by getting an A in ochem. Do you seriously think every medical school in the country would be more impressed with a BS in biology than a DDS? :eek:

It also isn't "a complete waste of money" - you could be super busy/on call doing internships getting paid $30,000/year for several years without knowing if you'll get in. Or you could go to med school, take classes you've had exposure to before and moonlight as a GP. And, if the OMFS residencies still don't work out and you're set on surgery, you could apply to any residency because you'd have your MD which is a better backup plan than walking away from a couple years of unaccredited internships. But I guess thinking outside the box isn't for everyone.

And I'm sure med school would totally be more fun if you were already matched. Can't win 'em all I guess. :)

Look, I'm not a med school adcom, but all's I am saying is that I would assume that they don't want to let people into their school who are specifically not going to be physicians.

You want to go into a dental specialty, and you want to use medical specialties as a fall back? lol I guarantee you will not get into any medical school if you said that at an interview.

Now I am not saying you wouldn't be qualified with a DDS, and more qualified than someone with a B.S. You would be.

But, I think it goes back to the same reason why they frown upon applying to both med school and dental school at the same time. You coming into med school with a DDS/DMD shows a lack of commitment to one profession.

4 years of dental school + 4 or 6 years of OMFS = 10 years tops (8 years ideal)
vs
4 years of dental school + 4 years of medical school + 1-2 year residency for MD license + 4 years OMFS = 13 years at the least

That's a potential 5 extra years. I can't even imagine the loans you would come out of school with, you would be 40 before you ever paid them off and made any money...

Last edited:
You don't need to do an extra 1-2 years, you can get an MD license after the first year of residency. This route would be 4 years of DS, 4 years of MS, and 4 years of OMFS = 12 years. Another way to achieve equivalent degrees (DDS and MD) would be 4 years of DS + 6 years OMFS residency = 10 years at best. This is assuming you get in right after dental school and don't have to do gprs/internships. That is easier said than done. At most you would be adding 2 years, not 5. Many OMFS programs charge you tuition for the 2 years of medical school, so you would be doing an additional 2 years of medical school. Considering the range of tuition/debt people have just coming out of dental school, it's not that big of a deal. I went to a cheap state school and have less than $150,000 in debt, but I have friends that graduated from NYU and have closer to $400,000 of debt. Nobody would say, "I want to use medical specialties as a fallback" in an interview, it's merely a pro for this route. It offers a decent Plan B, something that a couple years of unaccredited internships does not.

To say Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons specifically are not physicians is a bit much. Many go to both dental and medical school, spend many years in a hospital, treat arthritic joints, fractures, cleft lip and palate, etc. Is a psychiatrist a physician? If they are, OMFS certainly are. If not, I guess they shouldn't let those people in either since they aren't going to be physicians. Applying to both medical and dental school at the same time is not the same thing at all. There is a huge difference between someone who successfully completes a professional program and makes a calculated decision to further their education and an undergrad who throws applications in for both because they're unsure and heard one might make more money.

There is a lot of synergy with medicine and dentistry - they are not mutually exclusive. It's not like being an astronaut and then deciding to go to med school - that might show lack of committment to a profession. You can't claim to be committed to dentistry and throw medicine out the window. A DDS and MD is not an unheard of combination of degrees. There is a lot of overlap in these fields, and it puts you in an ideal position to pursue a subspecialty like head and neck or a craniofacial fellowship. A dual degree passionate surgeon with a sincere interest would be an strong asset to participate in research, develop new procedures, etc. in these fields. I'm pretty sure the admissions committees are well aware of that.

Toothmaniac, this is actually the way things are done in most of Europe. First DMD/DDS then MD (or the other way around) and THEN you can apply for recidency. But people do this over here, 14-16 years of training, so I guess your idea isn't all that messed up.

Bear in mind however that even with a dual degree there is NO guaranty for you being accepted into OMFS.

Just my 2 Euros worth.