CPR Training Tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Like most who teach, I'm always looking for ways to improve what I'm doing. Are there any secrets or fun things you include in your CPR courses? Playing music to get students in the habit of 100 compressions/minute is a fun one. Others?

Members don't see this ad.

For teaching a non-EMS group, you could relate your lecture with the group's common interest. Learn about the group you're teaching. They'll be better able to apply what they've learned and you'll learn a bit from them. For example, I help teach CPR/AED and first aid to mariners. When I can provide scenarios they are likely to encounter on a ship, they pay more attention and participate in discussion (especially if I'm way off base about life as a sailor).

Members don't see this ad :)
What songs do you use for 100 bpm?

What songs do you use for 100 bpm?

The ones I've found that are closest are "American Werewolf in London", "Stayin' Alive", and (albeit less appropriate for real-life application) "Another One Bites the Dust". :smuggrin:

The ones I've found that are closest are "American Werewolf in London", "Stayin' Alive", and (albeit less appropriate for real-life application) "Another One Bites the Dust". :smuggrin:

A friend of mine just took her first CPR class and called to tell me that her teacher had used this. Yea, slightly inappropriate, but it all depends on your audience. I'd like to say that I'll probably start humming Queen next time I'm working a cor...but our agency just got the Lucas Device...so we don't really do CPR by hand anymore.

On a side note, in the 8 cors we've worked with the Lucas device so far, 6 have started having spontaneous movement during CPR! :eek: I can't comment on survival rates or any thing else, but that sure does speak to the quality of the chest compressions!

Nate.

It's funny because I was humming that to myself the last time I did an arrest, and my preceptor and another ALS paramedic told me I was pumping "too fast". These are guys with 20 years of experience and they don't know what 100 bpm is.

It's funny because I was humming that to myself the last time I did an arrest, and my preceptor and another ALS paramedic told me I was pumping "too fast". These are guys with 20 years of experience and they don't know what 100 bpm is.

Are you sure you weren't humming the death metal version? :laugh:

I have taught students both the Stayin' Alive and Another One Bites The Dust methods.... I tend to prefer the latter.

...Although I know that one day some EMT is going to get in trouble for humming Another One Bites The Dust while pounding chest and they are going to point the finger straight at me :thumbdown:

Speed isn't as important as quality. The biggest mistake is depth. 100bpm means nothing if you're not compressing the heart very much.

Most, non-medical students, are pretty afraid of screwing up. Teach them that, "A little bit of something is better than a whole lot of nothing at all."

It's great to remember numbers and do it 100% correct. But it's more important that you (nike ad) "Just do it."

I've heard people mention Another One Bites the Dust a lot...but doesn't that rhythm change after the lyrics start? I've tried doing compressions to it and it just messes me up after I get past the intro.... for me one and two and three works better....it'd be cool to have a constant song for it though

Just try to keep up

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvg4RuM8jXM[/YOUTUBE]

It depends if it's an initial or refresher class.
The refreshers are the hardest,

I like to include a video clip to break it up...........depending on the audience....don't get yourself in trouble.

here's a link:

http://www.slingerie.com/en/blog-lingerie/lingerie-cpr/

Do a web search for:
french maid cpr
Bean ( English Comedian ) has a good cpr video flick.
Also check
http://www.videosift.com/video/Funny-office-ad

Red cross has small key chain masks you can pass out,
so when the babe at the beach is really Susi Cue canker sore mouth.

Also,
dress the dummy in the clothing they wear, with a name tag on it.
Place them in a scenario common to their work place,
John Doe could be the boss, pissed off co-worker, subordinate,
could have a bra on, check to see if just drunk or asleep.

The bottom line is to always stay calm , cool and professional.

re. conscious choking and home alone.........chairs will not work if not calm and tight stomach muscles. Ask any strong man about stomach punches.
Realizing this, I had the opportunity (unfortunate) to put it into practice.
I simply capitulated and cussed, calmed down, then hacked it out.
A co - worker took a broom to his stomach and ran to the wall, out it came.

I'm not to fond of the 5 back slaps as now instructed , if the care giver is ramped up full of piss and vinegar, he might snap the spinal cord.
Maybe spread the hand out wider........and for sure calm yourself down
as you introduce yourself to get permission, " Hi I'm Aquarius, how do you do? Can I help you, I know.........

foil :luck: