CPJE: Wiesman's book or RX prep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmail

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, Wiesman's book seems like a lot of pages! Would you say its mandatory or CPJE rx prep will suffice?
(I have been an rph in a different state for a long time, so I am rusty on everything, need to review it all plus full time job, etc, will be hard to read Wiesman's book on top of rx prep, on top of other stuff after 12 hour shift at my pharmacy) ...
So what would you guys say is an absolute must? Wiesman's book is a must? Or CPJE rx prep will be ok ?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the super late response but my MBA class took over my life this past week. I reached out to one of my interns who took this test recently and passed:

He used:
1. RxPrep CPJE Review (I liked how it summed up important points from weissman)
2. Rxprep cpje test bank and they send you a review booklet for free which he really liked
3. Weissman for additional practice questions

hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Sorry for the super late response but my MBA class took over my life this past week. I reached out to one of my interns who took this test recently and passed:

He used:
1. RxPrep CPJE Review (I liked how it summed up important points from weissman)
2. Rxprep cpje year bank and they send you a review booklet for free which he really liked
3. Weissman for additional practice questions

hope this helps!

Thank you!

Sorry if this is a late post. I just found out I was able to pay for my license.

CPJE is a very clinical exam - just studying CA law will not help you pass the exam. You need to study for it like you are studying for the NAPLEX, except you can only miss so many. Things I highly recommend - know your top 400 brand/generics. Know your combo drugs for HTN, Diabetes, dyslipidemia, asthma/copd, etc etc, basic calculations and compounding.

I literally bought all the possible study resources (PNN, RxPrep, Secrets, Weissman, etc) and didn't end up using half of them -.- Here are my takes on the resources:

RxPrep (both for the NAPLEX and CPJE) - This. You need this. The course book (I believe there is a 2021 book now) is very thorough but concise - despite how massive it is. The online subscription has video lectures that simplify the text (good to review after you've read through the chapters) along with practice questions for each chapter. You can adjust the speed of the videos to your liking, which was a feature I personally liked. The RxPrep CPJE was a fairly easy read. I personally believe that all you need is the RxPrep CPJE for the law portion.​
CPJE Secrets by Grifoll - I found this very helpful. This has the top 400 brand/generic drugs at the end of the book, which I used to guide my studies when studying for those particular topics. If you're not going to study all of RxPrep, at least read through the chapters in RxPrep outlined by the Table of Contents in Grifoll's CPJE Secrets. The way I approached studying for the CPJE is I read through the indicated chapters on RxPrep, then used this guide to hone in on the details, and then made sure I knew brand/generics/indications/side effects of the top 400 drugs that were in the designated chapters. There is a law portion in this guide, which I read through because why not. It was similar to the RxPrep CPJE. I personally read through this guide like at least 2-3 times..​
PNN - I honestly did not need this. The video lectures are slow and you can't adjust the speed. The bajillion questions in their test bank are VERY thorough, but more geared towards the NAPLEX than the CPJE. It actually freaked me out and caused me anxiety more so than help me in studying for the exam because it was just so much in detail. Maybe it works for some people, but did not work for me.​
Weissman - this literally just collected dust. I didn't get the chance to open this book.​

tl;dr I used Rxprep 2020, RxPrep CPJE 2020, and Secrets by Grifoll. Know your Top 400 brand/generics and their indications. Basic calculations (CrCl, flow rates, conversions, ANC, etc) and Compounding. Hope this helps. Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I used a bit of both, but I also found the California Board of Pharmacy Law Webinars quite helpful for recent changes to some laws. You can access 2019 and 2020 on the Board website.

Sorry if this is a late post. I just found out I was able to pay for my license.

CPJE is a very clinical exam - just studying CA law will not help you pass the exam. You need to study for it like you are studying for the NAPLEX, except you can only miss so many. Things I highly recommend - know your top 400 brand/generics. Know your combo drugs for HTN, Diabetes, dyslipidemia, asthma/copd, etc etc, basic calculations and compounding.

I literally bought all the possible study resources (PNN, RxPrep, Secrets, Weissman, etc) and didn't end up using half of them -.- Here are my takes on the resources:

RxPrep (both for the NAPLEX and CPJE) - This. You need this. The course book (I believe there is a 2021 book now) is very thorough but concise - despite how massive it is. The online subscription has video lectures that simplify the text (good to review after you've read through the chapters) along with practice questions for each chapter. You can adjust the speed of the videos to your liking, which was a feature I personally liked. The RxPrep CPJE was a fairly easy read. I personally believe that all you need is the RxPrep CPJE for the law portion.​
CPJE Secrets by Grifoll - I found this very helpful. This has the top 400 brand/generic drugs at the end of the book, which I used to guide my studies when studying for those particular topics. If you're not going to study all of RxPrep, at least read through the chapters in RxPrep outlined by the Table of Contents in Grifoll's CPJE Secrets. The way I approached studying for the CPJE is I read through the indicated chapters on RxPrep, then used this guide to hone in on the details, and then made sure I knew brand/generics/indications/side effects of the top 400 drugs that were in the designated chapters. There is a law portion in this guide, which I read through because why not. It was similar to the RxPrep CPJE. I personally read through this guide like at least 2-3 times..​
PNN - I honestly did not need this. The video lectures are slow and you can't adjust the speed. The bajillion questions in their test bank are VERY thorough, but more geared towards the NAPLEX than the CPJE. It actually freaked me out and caused me anxiety more so than help me in studying for the exam because it was just so much in detail. Maybe it works for some people, but did not work for me.​
Weissman - this literally just collected dust. I didn't get the chance to open this book.​

tl;dr I used Rxprep 2020, RxPrep CPJE 2020, and Secrets by Grifoll. Know your Top 400 brand/generics and their indications. Basic calculations (CrCl, flow rates, conversions, ANC, etc) and Compounding. Hope this helps. Good luck
thanks for sharing your experience! I meant to buy PNN and realized that it's very expensive! What source should I use for questions? Thanks!