CPJE and Moving to California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The_Rebirth

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Regardless of the exam I am moving to California in September from Ohio. I'm just now looking at the application process and reading the pass rates more in depth and this exam looks absolutely hopeless.

I'm currently a working retail pharmacist and don't have much time to study on top of the fact that it's always been really difficult for me to focus when studying. I'm really hoping some of you who have passed and what not have some condensed things to focus on in terms of studying. As a retail pharmacist I'm not gonna lie, I have forgot a lot of things. I bought a book off ebay for studyiong and it is literally anything and everything from brand name to dosings. I feel like it has a lot fo info I should have to focus on for the CPJE?

What do you believe would be the most effective study guides for someone with not much time as is? I'm thinking of biting the bullet and just buying the RXprep CPJE for 6 months/$185 but that only has law (which I haven't even touched yet because I'm nervous about all the clinical info everyone has mentioned is on it)

I'm literally at starbucks and on the verge of crying lmaoo I would have never imagined I'd be taking a harder and more like a bully exam after I passed the NAPLEX a few years ago.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, I just took the practice exam on the board website with 78 questions and got 53 of them right. A lot of them are so vague in terms of what can be right and then they're not only asking clinical questions on a law exam, but also questions about medication reporting and effective ways to improve errors??? Seriously how do they get away with this on a LAW exam.

You made the decision to move to California before you took a closer look at their exam?

Regardless of the exam I am moving to California in September from Ohio. I'm just now looking at the application process and reading the pass rates more in depth and this exam looks absolutely hopeless.

I'm currently a working retail pharmacist and don't have much time to study on top of the fact that it's always been really difficult for me to focus when studying. I'm really hoping some of you who have passed and what not have some condensed things to focus on in terms of studying. As a retail pharmacist I'm not gonna lie, I have forgot a lot of things. I bought a book off ebay for studyiong and it is literally anything and everything from brand name to dosings. I feel like it has a lot fo info I should have to focus on for the CPJE?

What do you believe would be the most effective study guides for someone with not much time as is? I'm thinking of biting the bullet and just buying the RXprep CPJE for 6 months/$185 but that only has law (which I haven't even touched yet because I'm nervous about all the clinical info everyone has mentioned is on it)

I'm literally at starbucks and on the verge of crying lmaoo I would have never imagined I'd be taking a harder and more like a bully exam after I passed the NAPLEX a few years ago.

Everything will be OK. Most people do pass. Just get the pharmacy charts for clinical (most of exam) and Weissman book for law..

Pharmacy charts: 2017 Edition Pharmacy Charts - NAPLEX, CPJE Review | eBay

Weissman: Amazon product

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
do u have any advice on learning dosing for cpje?
should i focus on general dosing or max dose? or know everything? lol

thank you

should know the common drug range and max dose...like you should know simvastatin 500mg bid is not accurate.

Thank you for the advice, still feeling pretty hopeless but like 2% less lol

You made the decision to move to California before you took a closer look at their exam?
Yes, because my life has family in it.... not just pharmacy.

My family takes me to Cali too :) I don't really have time to study but what can I do... Are you getting Weissman or RxPrep CPJE? I still haven't decided. Is anyone using drug cards? eg: McGraw-Hill's 2016/2017 Top 300 Pharmacy Drug Cards ?

I have been practicing in retail for 6 years and just took the CPJE on Saturday. It is a very tough exam; very, very random, and the disease states I got questions on were all over the map. I felt the Pharmacy Charts were a very good review of clinical material, to help refresh topics.

Have you already paid to transfer your license through NABP - I am holding out until I get the results of the CPJE, because I do not want to throw away $375 and then find out I failed the CPJE.

I have been practicing in retail for 6 years and just took the CPJE on Saturday. It is a very tough exam; very, very random, and the disease states I got questions on were all over the map. I felt the Pharmacy Charts were a very good review of clinical material, to help refresh topics.

Have you already paid to transfer your license through NABP - I am holding out until I get the results of the CPJE, because I do not want to throw away $375 and then find out I failed the CPJE.

I paid to transfer my license through NABP a while back when I first took the exam. They mailed back then that they received my NAPLEX score. I've taken the CPJE several times and finally passed this time. I read the licensure requirements and it seems to me like I don't have to resend it. Plus, in the letter that has my score it says that after you passed both exams the board gives another letter that contains the "application for pharmacist licensure". I got a green letter with the back saying "Application for Pharmacist Licensure" along with the white paper with my CPJE score and a peach colored paper saying to register for the drug monitoring system "CURES" site.

I paid to transfer my license through NABP a while back when I first took the exam. They mailed back then that they received my NAPLEX score. I've taken the CPJE several times and finally passed this time. I read the licensure requirements and it seems to me like I don't have to resend it. Plus, in the letter that has my score it says that after you passed both exams the board gives another letter that contains the "application for pharmacist licensure". I got a green letter with the back saying "Application for Pharmacist Licensure" along with the white paper with my CPJE score and a peach colored paper saying to register for the drug monitoring system "CURES" site.

Thanks for the response. Nothing is set in stone for my wife and I moving to California, so I didn't want to pay the ridiculous NABP fee to transfer the license and then find out I failed the CPJE lol.

When doing the license transfer, Im guessing the only thing you need to include is the Naplex for your home state?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response. Nothing is set in stone for my wife and I moving to California, so I didn't want to pay the ridiculous NABP fee to transfer the license and then find out I failed the CPJE lol.

When doing the license transfer, Im guessing the only thing you need to include is the Naplex for your home state?

Yes, that is right. What made you want to come to CA?

Yes, that is right. What made you want to come to CA?

Thanks!
My wife and I have love the San Diego area and we are kind of bored of where we are currently living, especially in the winter months. So we thought what the heck, lets see if I can pass the CPJE, find a job, her find a job and also be able to afford to live out there....tall order, but it's our pipe dream, so might as well give it a shot lol. Hoping I passed the first step in the CPJE.

Thanks!
My wife and I have love the San Diego area and we are kind of bored of where we are currently living, especially in the winter months. So we thought what the heck, lets see if I can pass the CPJE, find a job, her find a job and also be able to afford to live out there....tall order, but it's our pipe dream, so might as well give it a shot lol. Hoping I passed the first step in the CPJE.

How is the job market in SD?

Isn't salary higher to compensate for higher living cost tho?

Not really,, Two of my friends working for big retail company live in LA and PA respectively, and they get almost same salary. They just got out from same school together. Any job in Socal underpays people.

Hello all I took the cpje 7/08 got my results 7/28 passed with an 82. It was my third time taking it. Could've gotten a higher score missed 4-5 easy questions felt pretty good after finishing the exam.

[advertisement removed by moderator]

I used the Charts, quizlet flash cards to pass (both clinical and law), the script newsletter and assessment forms on the board website. I didn't use weissman or rxprep

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really,, Two of my friends working for big retail company live in LA and PA respectively, and they get almost same salary. They just got out from same school together. Any job in Socal underpays people.

how about northern cali jobs? do they pay more?

Also, I just took the practice exam on the board website with 78 questions and got 53 of them right. A lot of them are so vague in terms of what can be right and then they're not only asking clinical questions on a law exam, but also questions about medication reporting and effective ways to improve errors??? Seriously how do they get away with this on a LAW exam.

Can I ask where this practice exam is on the board site? Thanks in advance!

how about northern cali jobs? do they pay more?

People in bay area get paid more like 10k or 20k than people in Socal, but the cost of living is incomparable.
But, salaries would be the same in all areas except main cities which two hours away from...

People in bay area get paid more like 10k or 20k than people in Socal, but the cost of living is incomparable.
But, salaries would be the same in all areas except main cities which two hours away from...

Generally speaking, is it harder to get a pharmacist job in northern cali?

where in cali will you be?
Sorry I haven't been online much bc I forgot. I will hopefully be in the bay area, I'm still studying for the exam. I haven't even been approved to sit for the exam yet!! I really wish I could cuss out this board of pharmacy they're so bad, and I'm not even talking about allowing a 57% pass rate.

Sorry I haven't been online much bc I forgot. I will hopefully be in the bay area, I'm still studying for the exam. I haven't even been approved to sit for the exam yet!! I really wish I could cuss out this board of pharmacy they're so bad, and I'm not even talking about allowing a 57% pass rate.

When r you taking it?

So just randomly looked at my license since I was finishing up my yearly CE for my current state, and noticed that I don't have to do CE for California for my current license period (license expires in July 2019) - surely that can't be right can it?

I posted this on May 7th? I just got approved to sit for the CPJE on 10/30/17. The BoP is literally the worst, hands down.

For those of you who have taken the CPJE, I took the 78 question sample test from the BoP and got an 80ish% this time around. A handful of months ago when I took it I believe I got like a 71-72%. How similar was the practice to the actual exam for you all?