COVID testing for travel for 2 year old?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dred Pirate

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking at taking a trip to some random tropical island away from society (likely one of the Bahama out islands) - they require testing now for anyone 2 and older. BUT Walgreens and CVS require you be 3 in order to get tested. Is this some government rule and I won't be able to get her tested anywhere but an urgent care or MD office? Does anyone else know of options for getting a two year old tested? Just wondering if any of you had found yourself in a similar situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys have freestanding EDs or urgent cares that offer covid pcrs in your area? They’ll be happy to see your 2 year old for a covid test.

Do you guys have freestanding EDs or urgent cares that offer covid pcrs in your area? They’ll be happy to see your 2 year old for a covid test.
We do. I just hate to be “that guy” coming in for just a travel covid test vs an actual Illness/emergency. Also with the high deductible insurance plan it will cost about $200 for urgent care I will call my md and the less urgent care center to see if they just do testing vs a whole requires work up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't this what urgent cares are for? Non-emergent, but urgent items?

I get that you don't want to be "that guy"; and I am in no fashion throwing shade your way. But; you're doing the right thing.

As for the price? Yeah; that sucks. Seems excessive.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I would think your doc could just order an outpatient test. Or are PCPs still refusing to primary care?

Is an at-home Ag test a possibilit? I think I've seen them at costco.

We do. I just hate to be “that guy” coming in for just a travel covid test vs an actual Illness/emergency. Also with the high deductible insurance plan it will cost about $200 for urgent care I will call my md and the less urgent care center to see if they just do testing vs a whole requires work up.
Urgent Cares are for-profit healthcare facilities that literally exist for the sole purpose of extracting money from easy, low acuity, paying customers. EMTALA doesn't apply to them and therefore they can kick out anyone they don't want to see. But if you've got cash, they will gladly test your kid for whatever reason you want to tell them and be happy about it.

The easier the better. And there's nothing easier than not being sick, but wanting a test that you (or your insurance) are going to pay cash for.

Twice in the past year and a half we took my kid to an urgent care, strictly because they were the only place in town that had the quick COVID test at one point in time. Went in and literally told them, "My kid sniffled one time and is not sick. She doesn't have COVID or exposures, I just need a negative test to get her back in school and to keep here there, in case she sniffles one time, and a teacher has a nuclear meltdown over it."

Local urgent care offers virtual visit then you go an self swab $65. Probably our best option. Not gonna waste time to find something cheaper Luckily our day care hasn’t kicked kids out unless they are febrile so I have avoided that pain in the ass.

Yeah, I would think your doc could just order an outpatient test. Or are PCPs still refusing to primary care?

The emed is for 5 and up I think. I just say if you bring them into Anguilla it is a $15,000 fine. Instead you go to their clinic and pay $100 (and you have to do it twice if you are there a week or more)

Last edited:
Urgent Cares are for-profit healthcare facilities that literally exist for the sole purpose of extracting money from easy, low acuity, paying customers. EMTALA doesn't apply to them and therefore they can kick out anyone they don't want to see. But if you've got cash, they will gladly test your kid for whatever reason you want to tell them and be happy about it.
That's not entirely accurate. Hospital-owned urgent care centers have been held to EMTALA standards by CMS in the past. In fact, ANY department/facility of a hospital can be viewed as having EMTALA requirements (even physician offices owned by a hospital).

Court Applies EMTALA to Hospital’s Urgent/Walk-in Care Center

That's not entirely accurate. Hospital-owned urgent care centers have been held to EMTALA standards by CMS in the past. In fact, ANY department/facility of a hospital can be viewed as having EMTALA requirements (even physician offices owned by a hospital).

Court Applies EMTALA to Hospital’s Urgent/Walk-in Care Center
Let me clarify. When I was referring to urgent care, I wasn't including "hospital based" urgent cares. I was referring to independent "doc in the box" type urgent cares, which I'd venture to guess is most of them, in the United States.

That being said, those that run EMTALA-governed hospitals don't too averse to quick, easy, non-urgent profit. If fact, they've let that exact thing explode and grow upon American EDs like an invasive vine, sucking the life and energy out of a previously, proud and majestic forest.

Looking at taking a trip to some random tropical island away from society (likely one of the Bahama out islands) - they require testing now for anyone 2 and older. BUT Walgreens and CVS require you be 3 in order to get tested. Is this some government rule and I won't be able to get her tested anywhere but an urgent care or MD office? Does anyone else know of options for getting a two year old tested? Just wondering if any of you had found yourself in a similar situation.

This is so dumb. I would seriously make up letter head and put a negative test on there. This is just so stupid.

This is so dumb. I would seriously make up letter head and put a negative test on there. This is just so stupid.
You can be arrested for that.
A couple from Florida did just exactly that and was arrested... thus proving the old axiom of:

You can take the couple out of Florida, but you can't take Florida out of the police report.

Reactions: 2 users
You can be arrested for that.
A couple from Florida did just exactly that and was arrested... thus proving the old axiom of:

You can take the couple out of Florida, but you can't take Florida out of the police report.
Probably could justify it if you're a physician and do your own at-home test. Take a photo of it being negative.

Reactions: 1 users

The emed is for 5 and up I think. I just say if you bring them into Anguilla it is a $15,000 fine. Instead you go to their clinic and pay $100 (and you have to do it twice if you are there a week or more)
BinaxNow at walmart. $19 for two test kits. Buy in store or delivers in 24 hours. Results in <15 minutes.