COVID and redeployment of subspecialty fellows

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aam53

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What have other hospitals and hospital systems been doing in terms of redeployment of their fellows? We are currently being told that we will:
1. Be redeployed to the ICU in a resident role, under the supervision of an ICU attending
2. Be redeployed to the floor in a resident role, under the supervision of a hospitalist

We have been told we are not able to redeploy as hospitalists (despite our ABIM internal medicine certifications), because of "our status as trainees," although I know in the ACGME newsroom info about COVID, at least the ACGME has said that fellows can act as attendings in their core specialty up to 20% of their academic year. They do not address pay in that statement.

My belief is that our hospital system has made this up in order to not pay us what a hospitalist would get paid. We have been told our requests for hazard pay or appropriate compensation are not going to be honored, and that it is "beneath us" to ask these questions. I understand we are in a pandemic, I understand things are bad. I do not, however, think it's okay to abuse your fellows, which is how I see these actions. If you need us to redeploy, I am happy to do so, but I do think we deserve some say in this matter and some transparency in the matter. I have not even touched on the fact that (acknowledging this is a fluid situation), we have not been told throughout this process what each of our "surges" is equal to, what numbers we are dealing with, and what the specifics of our expected roles will be after potential redeployment.

Curious to hear how others are handling it.

Members don't see this ad.

These are unique times. You're right, as a BC/ BE physician, they can choose to deploy and utilize (and pay you) as a hospitalist if you are independent in that role if they want to, provided they credential you as such, and again, crucially- if they want to. The exception being the ECFMG rules regarding moonlighting for those on J1 visas.

They can also choose to deploy you in the 2 scenarios as you mentioned, supervised, and hence not pay you as a hospitalist, totally their prerogative. The ACGME does not stand in their way on this, its a local GME/ hospital decision, this much is pretty clear.

If your leadership is not sending you clear updates and being open about what is going on in your hospital that is truly unfair and I would drive this up the chain. If your fellowship leaders are not being open, it may be because they don't have that info, but they need to demand it and pass it to you.

Reactions: 1 user
IM/Surgical fellows have been re-deployed across our enterprise. Just going with the flow until graduation in a couple months. Anyone here of changes to training timelines as a result? I have not as of yet...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a graduating Heme-Onc fellow. Similar plans have been circulated around our center. Our area thankfully hasn't seen a surge in cases so no one has been moved. Unfortunately, the communication in this planning has been lacking. We have slowly been getting more info as weeks go by, finally with some rough numbers attached. We are no where near surge needs at this time.

Our center has a multi-tiered approach and only in the top/worst levels do they list fellows practicing independently. I agree pay is a factor.

Our fellows can be deployed to micu (fellow), medicine attending or medicine fellow (whatever that means)