COVID-19 Shutting Down Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sounds like the translation is that changing things around would require them to do work for something that is definitely temporary and maybe only be for a few months, and they just don’t want to or can’t put in the effort.
It's almost like you just stated one of the facts of business: adminstrative people will do whatever causes the least conflict and work in their lives. Being in the military I know you understand this bureaucracy but apparently a lot of students haven't had jobs before so this is shocking to them???

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
This is what I thought. Issue is they're also apparently unwilling to switch to P/F (even temporarily) to accommodate the circumstances - for a variety of reasons (of varying legitimacy).
I agree that this sounds like laziness by your school. We always had in-person exams with proctors present on a particular software, but our school sent out a poll early last week to figure out everyone's computer capabilities and when they announced P/F they also said that they would be using a new program that would allow for remote proctoring. To make you come in to sit for an exam, especially when it's not an NBME, is crazy.

I agree that this sounds like laziness by your school. We always had in-person exams with proctors present on a particular software, but our school sent out a poll early last week to figure out everyone's computer capabilities and when they announced P/F they also said that they would be using a new program that would allow for remote proctoring. To make you come in to sit for an exam, especially when it's not an NBME, is crazy.

Yeah, I've got a feeling they'll end up caving between now and our next exam. But even the delay is frustrating.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is what I thought. Issue is they're also apparently unwilling to switch to P/F (even temporarily) to accommodate the circumstances - for a variety of reasons (of varying legitimacy).

No, not until second year. They have said that an issue, though, is that our usual exam software offers no way to record/monitor us. That said, we run under an honor code and our normal exams are NOT proctored. So this doesn't really add up.
I shall never cease to be amazed at the ripoff that is higher education. My DO school hasn’t updated a PowerPoint in over 10 years and I doubt any of them were made by our faculty in the first place. Nevertheless, my cheap and lazy school still has software to record us taking a test AND flags points where you look away from your screen for review by a human later. There’s no way it’s difficult or expensive in any way because they otherwise wouldn’t do it.

There’s zero excuse for you coming to campus.

Reactions: 6 users
Thankfully got word a little earlier today that exams have officially shifted online. Thank ya'll that gave some feedback!

Do you guys think rotations will start for M2s in July if the amount of PPE production ramps up and hospitals are no longer low on PPE?

Do you guys think rotations will start for M2s in July if the amount of PPE production ramps up and hospitals are no longer low on PPE?
it depends if hospitals still look like a warzone.

Reactions: 4 users
For those at schools with 1.5 preclinical, what have you heard in regards to when rotations start? We won't be starting until early May. Curious to know if other schools have stated even later dates.

Had my first day of our remote/online elective this morning (radiology).

It started at 7:30am...eastern time. So for me, sheltering in place on the west coast, that was a nice 4:30am lecture.

Then we had a 2-hour lecture where a distinguished Rads faculty reviewed interesting CXRs and taught us loads about them. Unforuntately, the resolution of the cross-country Zoom screenshare was terrible, so all I was able to see was a series of pixelated white/gray/black blobs while he pointed out nuances. No slide deck was available on blackboard to see the images on my end.

I know it's unfair to be harsh of my school over something they literally threw together this weekend, but still...if this is the harbinger of MS3 education quality for the coming months, I am legit going to kill patients on my sub-I.

It started at 7:30am...eastern time. So for me, sheltering in place on the west coast, that was a nice 4:30am lecture.

Then we had a 2-hour lecture where a distinguished Rads faculty reviewed interesting CXRs and taught us loads about them. Unforuntately, the resolution of the cross-country Zoom screenshare was terrible, so all I was able to see was a series of pixelated white/gray/black blobs while he pointed out nuances. No slide deck was available on blackboard to see the images on my end.

I know it's unfair to be harsh of my school over something they literally threw together this weekend, but still...if this is the harbinger of MS3 education quality for the coming months, I am legit going to kill patients on my sub-I.

My school did Aquifer for my radiology rotation. Honestly...as someone who hated Aquifer for pediatrics, it's pretty decent for radiology. Or at least the cases I have done so far have been well done with great video and photo support.

Reactions: 2 users
My school did Aquifer for my radiology rotation. Honestly...as someone who hated Aquifer for pediatrics, it's pretty decent for radiology. Or at least the cases I have done so far have been well done with great video and photo support.
At this point, I'd pay good money to do Aquifer all day, as long as I didn't have to wake up before dawn or try to read Rorschach blobs that vaguely resemble chest xrays

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Don't worry, you won't get to do anything on your sub-i.

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone have any clue how to get LOR in time for ERAS during this mess?

Had a meeting with residency advisor today that said there are whispers of ERAS timeline getting pushed back/condensed to make some more room for us towards late summer/early autumn.

But who knows if the COVID issues will be done by then

Had a meeting with residency advisor today that said there are whispers of ERAS timeline getting pushed back/condensed to make some more room for us towards late summer/early autumn.

But who knows if the COVID issues will be done by then
That would be glorious. I mean I just need to do an away and a LOR in my desired field. It sucks but it is what is. But I can’t imagine how stressful it must be for surgical sub studs who want to do multiple aways before submitting apps. This essentially screws everyone trying to match outside of the typical core 3rd year rotations.

Any idea if people will be able to take step in the coming months?

I'm basically going to my home department and will be pleading to get letters, even from attendings I only peripherally worked with. If I can get an audition in before ERAS, or ERAS gets pushed back, I won't need to do this but as it stands now I am very concerned about getting 3 LOR's from people in my desired field.

I'm basically going to my home department and will be pleading to get letters, even from attendings I only peripherally worked with. If I can get an audition in before ERAS, or ERAS gets pushed back, I won't need to do this but as it stands now I am very concerned about getting 3 LOR's from people in my desired field.
I lucked out and got two exposure to two seperate departments before this unfolded, so I should be able to scrounge 3 letters out of it, but they wont be ideal like from program directors of 3 separate programs.

Wait, people don't just click through Acquifer and actually do the cases....

• Haha
I lucked out and got two exposure to two seperate departments before this unfolded, so I should be able to scrounge 3 letters out of it, but they wont be ideal like from program directors of 3 separate programs.
You make a decision yet?

Reactions: 1 user
You make a decision yet?
not sure if I am even going to be able to get the alternate specialty rotation considering everything that is going on. Going to continue to prepare for the primary plan and see if I have a change of heart. Will be difficult considering Sub Is might not even happen.

Reactions: 3 users

If it makes you feel better, if we miss April, I lose out on my inpatient IM month and then I start with inpatient IM for fourth year hoping to get another letter before applying. So I'm screwed too. This really sucks for us third years.

If it makes you feel better, if we miss April, I lose out on my inpatient IM month and then I start with inpatient IM for fourth year hoping to get another letter before applying. So I'm screwed too. This really sucks for us third years.
It definitely does but I keep telling me that everyone is dealing with it so the effects will be mitigated slightly because of that. Anything to stay sane

It definitely does but I keep telling me that everyone is dealing with it so the effects will be mitigated slightly because of that. Anything to stay sane
Yeah, but only sort of. People gunning for a specific competitive specialty since preclinical are going to clean up this year if it let them sneak in their subIs/get a couple high-quality letters early. People deciding on specialty late and who don't already have any letters lined up (like me) could be in a very, very, very bad spot if COVID keeps us out of the hospitals until July/August. I was completely banking on my next couple electives and summer advanced clerkships to figure out my life.

Yeah, but only sort of. People gunning for a specific competitive specialty since preclinical are going to clean up this year if it let them sneak in their subIs/get a couple high-quality letters early. People deciding on specialty late and who don't already have any letters lined up (like me) could be in a very, very, very bad spot if COVID keeps us out of the hospitals until July/August. I was completely banking on my next couple electives and summer advanced clerkships to figure out my life.
Oh I was too. I currently only have 2 LOR, neither of which are in my specialty of choice, and only 1 is actually uploaded. I have zero rotations set up for next year officially. I feel ya

Oh I was too. I currently only have 2 LOR, neither of which are in my specialty of choice, and only 1 is actually uploaded. I have zero rotations set up for next year officially. I feel ya
None of this is a problem independent of the covid situation. When I applied I don't think I had any letters uploaded until after September 1st. I clearly remember that two of the four came in on 9/14.

The covid thing will be a big challenge for the rising M4 class, but at least you don't have to worry specifically about letters quite yet.

None of this is a problem independent of the covid situation. When I applied I don't think I had any letters uploaded until after September 1st. I clearly remember that two of the four came in on 9/14.

The covid thing will be a big challenge for the rising M4 class, but at least you don't have to worry specifically about letters quite yet.
I'm more worried about having someone to ask, fine with uploading late. If I have no medicine sub-I, no critical care, no elective in the specialty, no aways...what am I supposed to do? Go back and get letters from the attendings I worked with on totally unrelated rotations nearly a year prior? They probs wont even remember my name!

I'm more worried about having someone to ask, fine with uploading late. If I have no medicine sub-I, no critical care, no elective in the specialty, no aways...what am I supposed to do? Go back and get letters from the attendings I worked with on totally unrelated rotations nearly a year prior? They probs wont even remember my name!
Yeah, I get that. In my specialty the only acceptable letters are from 4th year sub-i's anyway so that wouldn't even be an option. The good thing is it seems like your whole class—at your school and around the country—will be in the same boat no matter the duration of this fiasco, so I doubt you'll be at any disadvantage.

At this point it seems pretty unlikely that anyone around he country will be able to sneak those sub-i's any time soon.

My school has cancelled away rotations until mid-OCTOBER

....:wtf:

• Wow
My school has cancelled away rotations until mid-OCTOBER

....:wtf:

I might be missing something, but what's the reason for the school making that decision? Why not the host institution?

I might be missing something, but what's the reason for the school making that decision? Why not the host institution?
I should have been more clear, we are refusing to ACCEPT any visiting students until mid October

But I imagine most other similar hospitals will end up doing this too

I should have been more clear, we are refusing to ACCEPT any visiting students until mid October

But I imagine most other similar hospitals will end up doing this too

Can we (I) ask what school are you at? Or what area? Are you in a hotspot? I imagine this could be more likely for areas projecting to be "hot spots" for the foreseeable future.

Can we (I) ask what school are you at? Or what area? Are you in a hotspot? I imagine this could be more likely for areas projecting to be "hot spots" for the foreseeable future.
This is for Baltimore/DC area which hasn't even started to see anything approaching the hotspots. But true I think Philly and Baltimore/DC are trying to plan ahead

This is for Baltimore/DC area which hasn't even started to see anything approaching the hotspots. But true I think Philly and Baltimore/DC are trying to plan ahead

Probably smart on their end. I think all major east coast metro's are at significant risk of a NYC-style strain on their HC system.

Random but- I always thought you were on the west coast for some reason. I don't even know why.

Probably smart on their end. I think all major east coast metro's are at significant risk of a NYC-style strain on their HC system.

Random but- I always thought you were on the west coast for some reason. I don't even know why.
I'm from socal, and am way too laid back and lifestyle-oriented to stay on the East coast for much longer

Anyone else lose all motivation to study. Ive had a difficult time focusing and motivating myself to do anything considering the incredible amount of uncertainties ahead.

Reactions: 12 users
Anyone else lose all motivation to study. Ive had a difficult time focusing and motivating myself to do anything considering the incredible amount of uncertainties ahead.
I do agree
Like should I be memorizing repro physiology or which wild plants are edible?
prep for step or prep for the apocalypse?
uncertain times man

Reactions: 8 users
I do agree
Like should I be memorizing repro physiology or which wild plants are edible?
prep for step or prep for the apocalypse?
uncertain times man
Im not even worried about the collapse of society. Unlikely unless covid suddenly became 50X more deadly. The conerns I have are inconsequential in the grand scheme of society, like away rotations and inability to complete an application and having a normal timeline of application.

Im not even worried about the collapse of society. Unlikely unless covid suddenly became 50X more deadly. The conerns I have are inconsequential in the grand scheme of society, like away rotations and inability to complete an application and having a normal timeline of application.
are you a second or third year? I think on the order of magnitudes of how bad this year has hit people: M3>M4>M1 (P/F)>M2 (dedicated during this is fine)

are you a second or third year? I think on the order of magnitudes of how bad this year has hit people: M3>M4>M1 (P/F)>M2 (dedicated during this is fine)

Lol yeah. I’m an M1 and all this has done is made it so I don’t have to leave my house. I’m saving a lot on gas. Really feel for the M4s who don’t get a graduation and didn’t get a match day, and the M3s who are totally in the dark about how things are gonna go.

Also at my school we start rotations in Jan of M2, so all the M2s here just started and now they’re pulled out. Bummer.

I’d put it M3>>M2>M4>M1.

M1’s have to study from home and have no mandatory events. Cry me a river.

M4’s have basically been given yet another reason to check out and more power to them.

M2’s have perpetual dedicated. There’s no end in sight. Imagine hitting your step 1 plateau and having to hold it for potentially months before you get to finally unclench your butthole. OR, having dedicated with the risk of your school cutting into it to right before your exam day with all their nonsense. Bad times.

M3’s are definitely most screwed.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 12 users
I’d put it M3>>M2>M4>M1.

M1’s have to study from home and have no mandatory events. Cry me a river.

M4’s have basically been given yet another reason to check out and more power to them.

M2’s have perpetual dedicated. There’s no end in sight. Imagine hitting your step 1 plateau and having to hold it for potentially months before you get to finally unclench your butthole. OR, having dedicated with the risk of your school cutting into it to right before your exam day with all their nonsense. Bad times.

M3’s are definitely most screwed.
Idk if prometric closes centers through may/June im gonna take a month off and start gaming again....

Idk if prometric closes centers through may/June im gonna take a month off and start gaming again....
HA

NERRRD

hit me up on some apex legends man, I'll DM you with my PSN

Has anyone been in touch with their school's leadership regarding whether or not they are thinking about extending the closures? I really can't see this all being resolved to safe levels within a month, but adding another month to the closure would really wreak havoc on schedules. It's only been a week since I last heard from my school, but it's weird not knowing when school will resume and how my 3rd year is gonna go. Here on the west coast, it's all but certain our school districts will remain closed until the summer.