Course withdrawals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brightness

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have a course withdrawal but retake the class, how does this effect your application?
I am a pre-med/pre-vet person who has considered careers in a lot of areas. I'm planning on applying to vet school just for the hell of it; I really would LOVE to be a vet, but its incredibly competitive. I have a W in general chemistry I and in human anatomy, mainly because I had a lack of focus and direction in my career plan. Now that I am a senior and I know what I want, I am incredibly focused.
If I retake these Ws and do well, how much will this affect my ability to gain acceptance?
Thank you,
Lindsay

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a course withdrawal but retake the class, how does this effect your application?
I am a pre-med/pre-vet person who has considered careers in a lot of areas. I'm planning on applying to vet school just for the hell of it; I really would LOVE to be a vet, but its incredibly competitive. I have a W in general chemistry I and in human anatomy, mainly because I had a lack of focus and direction in my career plan. Now that I am a senior and I know what I want, I am incredibly focused.
If I retake these Ws and do well, how much will this affect my ability to gain acceptance?
Thank you,
Lindsay

Some schools will ask about it, other's might not care at all. It's hard to say how it will affect your application, but if you get to an interview then they like you enough already (despite your Ws), so be prepared to explain the withdrawals, but you won't have to prove your case. Does that help at all?

You could use your explanation statement to explain why you withdrew, or you could just leave it be. I was asked about my withdrawals in my interviews, but I still got in to three school. I don't think that two withdrawals is a big deal, especially if you retake and get stellar grades. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, it just hit me that during my undergrad we never had the option of Withdrawl. We had an add/drop deadline that was about 7 weeks into the semester, but anything beyond that was just an F. Dropping a class would before the deadline meant it wouldn't show up anywhere.

My undergrad institution had withdraws, but you got either a WP (withdraw passing) or a WF (withdraw failing), so withdrawing was not an automatically clean slate. It would still state whether or not you left the course in good academic standing.

I am a pre-med/pre-vet person who has considered careers in a lot of areas. I'm planning on applying to vet school just for the hell of it; I really would LOVE to be a vet, but its incredibly competitive.

Hi! Just so you know, you're wasting money if you're applying to vet school "just for the hell of it" without a good amount of animal experience, so if you're serious about wanting to try for vet school you should start getting experience with veterinary medicine in a lot of different areas if you haven't already.

Good luck in figuring out what you want to do!

I have a great deal of experience with small animal, as I've worked as a receptionist/assistant (I get to help out with the very routine stuff) at a small animal clinic. I most certainly need zoo/farm help, but a lot of the places I've talked to are concerned about my lack of experience, particularly with horses- they seem to think because I don't know anything about these animals (which I really don't!) its not so safe to have me around.
Although there are a lot of things I want to work with- people, children, babies, mental health- there is something about the unique challenges of veterinary medicine that just really is...wow. :love:

Hi! Just so you know, you're wasting money if you're applying to vet school "just for the hell of it" without a good amount of animal experience, so if you're serious about wanting to try for vet school you should start getting experience with veterinary medicine in a lot of different areas if you haven't already.

Good luck in figuring out what you want to do!