WAMC (decent gpa but 9 withdrawals)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prevetgc

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently in my senior year with a psychology major with a minor in anthropology. I am a NY resident and I am 22 years old. I will be graduating with a bachelors degree this may with an overall GPA of 3.3. Due to a personal incident with sexual assault and other things I had to withdraw numerous times during my undergraduate years. I am starting a post-bacc pre-health certification program where I will be taking all my prerequisites. If I do well in the prerequisites, and have a lot of experience, do I have chances at any veterinary schools?

GPA in undergraduate: 3.3
GPA in post-bacc certificate for all the required science classes: 3.8
Last 45 GPA: 3.7
withdrawals in undergraduate: 9

Experience:
- shadowing a vet: 500
- emergency veterinary practice assistant: 400
- fostering cats from shelters: 600
- zoo intern: 400
- banfield vet assistant: 500

Members don't see this ad.

I withdrew from actual vet school years ago and I have more than one acceptance! And I was just depressed and not even for a reason as legit as yours. I wrote a lot of my essay about the self doubt I had and why I didn't ever try and go back and they were actually impressed with it! It wasn't the black mark I thought it would be.

Sell yourself in a way that makes your perseverance sound as impressive as it is in your explanation/essays. You got a 3.3 despite going through some real a** s***! The fact that you didn't let it stop you, you picked yourself back up and you did the things you needed to do to deal with it while also finishing school with good grades shows you can succeed despite stressful circumstances. This shows you can handle the stress of what's to come in vet school. Let them know this is what makes you great and unique.

Last edited:
Hey! I had like 7 withdrawals on my transcript and got in with a 3.4 undergrad/grad gpa and similar last 45 so it's doable.

What schools are you considering?

as a NY resident, if you're looking at Cornell - I'm also a NY resident - I'd reach out to them and ask directly if someone would be willing to look at your transcript with you and advise. I'm not sure if they still do that, but they went through it with me in 2017 and at the end of the day saved me some application cash when I applied a few years ago. They may have changed what they are looking for since then though.