couple match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ga5man

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Colleagues,

My wife and i are looking for a couple match. i tried looking at the archive for an answer but no luck, so i apologise if this is a repetetion.

The situation: I am trying for anesthesiology and wife for int med. We interviewed at 8-9 places but only 4 were together. We still went for our individual interviews becos we felt it is very competetive and we might go unmatched.

The question:
1. Can we pair geographical different location in our ROL? for eg my wife liked chicago, i liked florida, these were our individual interviews, can we put this as a pair in our choices- not necessarily the first. though it defeats the purpose of couple match, we donot want to go unmatched. we think it will be easy to transfer next year rather than try all over again next year.

any input in this regard is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ga5man

Members don't see this ad.

1. Can we pair geographical different location in our ROL? for eg my wife liked chicago, i liked florida, these were our individual interviews, can we put this as a pair in our choices
Yes.
we think it will be easy to transfer next year rather than try all over again next year.

Doubtful.

Yes, you can put any pairings you like on your ROL; however, I agree, I don't think it will be that easy to transfer as a PGY2 so if you do that, I would be sure you're really okay with being in different locations for the length of your residency. Your wife might be able to transfer into an internal medicine program near you, however she would probably have an easier time matching at an internal medicine program near you in the first place than transferring later.

hi,

thanks for the response, yes we are aware that matching in diff locales might be difficult to transfer as a PGY-2 but we are weighing it against the option of one of us not matching at all.
thanks for the response,
ga5man