Countdown to the 2013 Ophthalmology Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyesOnThePryze

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's been fun getting to know everyone on the trail. As interview season is winding down... let's get this countdown started, shall we?

29 days until that 4am PST email on 1/15 :xf:

the-sports-kings-braves-to-retire-smoltz-s-no.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

this is both exciting and terrifying at the same time

29 days until that 4am PST email on 1/15 :xf:

Which, in English is:

2 AM HST (Hawaii)
3 AM AKST (Alaska)
4 AM PST (Pacific)
5 AM MST (Mountain)
6 AM CST (Central)
7 AM EST (Eastern)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure is quiet around here... From browsing last year's threads, there seemed to be a lot more active posters. Why's everyone so shy?

385px-California_27.svg.png

Sure is quiet around here... From browsing last year's threads, there seemed to be a lot more active posters. Why's everyone so shy?

We don't want anyone to know who we are! :smuggrin:

So what is the itinerary for the match day? Will we get phone calls/emails on the 15th, both for good news or bad?

So what is the itinerary for the match day? Will we get phone calls/emails on the 15th, both for good news or bad?

SF Match sent an email last week or so explaining what will happen.

Tuesday January 8th, 2013
12:00 PM(PST) Rank List Deadline
Tuesday, January 15, 2013
· 4:00 AM PST – Applicants and Medical School Dean's offices receive a YES/NO (MATCHED/UNMATCHED) email informing them only of their Match Result status but NOT where they matched.
· 8:00 AM PST – Medical School Dean's Offices access student match results online via the SF Match Medical School Portal. Additionally, they will receive an email with this information.
Wednesday, January 16, 2013
· 8:00 AM PST – Applicants' results available online. Login to the SFMatch portal to view results.

How's everyone's rank lists coming along? I think I have my top 2 and my bottom 2 but figuring out the schools in between are going to keep me up at night.

How's everyone's rank lists coming along? I think I have my top 2 and my bottom 2 but figuring out the schools in between are going to keep me up at night.

Just submitted it! Certainly some anxiety sorting it out over the last few days...now I wait :xf:

It will probably be midnight on Jan 7th before I submit it! I'm having trouble with the middle of my list too.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm using this app called "Match Dr." It's been really helpful as I am putting together my rank list, hope it's helpful to you as well. GL!

That Match Dr. app is pretty sweet :) It'd be great if the dates could be reset for non-ERAS people.

Attachments

• 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 37
edgLW.jpg

21 days left, and

Merry Christmas Everybody!!!!

So many lurkers...we're now at over 100 views for every 1 post in this thread. Come on guys. We don't bite.

Hope everyone's rank lists are coming into place.

12-12.jpg

Anyone else having trouble trying to focus on intern year interviews with the ophtho match looming!?

I'm just having trouble focusing on anything :) I keep meaning to work on some pending research projects, but it's like I'm mesmerized by the countdown...

Anyone else having trouble trying to focus on intern year interviews with the ophtho match looming!?

I think my recent prelim interview was the first time in awhile that I could focus on something else besides the upcoming ophtho match! A couple scenarios keep playing in my head all day long and I alternate between how stoked I would be to match at my #1 and what the heck I would do if I went unmatched at all.

9 more days!

792991C.jpg

(sliced veal for cats, what the heck?)

Time to crawl into bed and become an anxiety burrito

why-is-6-afraid-of-7.jpg

I'm just having trouble focusing on anything :) I keep meaning to work on some pending research projects, but it's like I'm mesmerized by the countdown...

Lol i have my step 2ck in a week...I think i studied less for this than I have for an average shelf exam

Definitely freaking out...

Only a few days left...good luck everyone!

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 40
how is everybody doing? freaking out?

think that we will get a call from our school first our from our future residency program?

think that we will get a call from our school first our from our future residency program?
Knowing my school, they won't notice the ophtho match has happened until they're making up the graduation programs :p I'm betting on a call from the future program.

It's hard to explain exactly what I'm afraid of. Our odds of matching are pretty good and we'll get a good education mostly anywhere we go. I guess it's just the NOT KNOWING that makes me nuts.

I wish it was like Step 1 where I didn't know when results were coming out until the night before.

I have no idea. I think some students in the past have called the dean's office and found out that way. It would suck to have to wait one more day to find out where.

It's hard to explain exactly what I'm afraid of. Our odds of matching are pretty good and we'll get a good education mostly anywhere we go. I guess it's just the NOT KNOWING that makes me nuts.

This is true. Odds are good but I think we've all heard a few horror stories, which make me nervous about being the exception to the rule. Also, I am absolutely in love with my #1 for a variety of professional and personal reasons and would be thrilled to match there. So I'm very nervous about that.

At the end of the day, I just want to be an Ophthalmologist. :xf:

According to the email:
You find out at 7am EST matched vs unmatched
Your school finds that out along with WHERE you matched at 11am
The following day you find out at 11am where.

From past discussions it seems:
Some program directors call you between 11am tuesday and the following day and you end up being notified earlier.
It appears some people at my school asked my dean if he would release the info to them on Tuesday. I dunno what his response was or if I'll try calling on Tuesday. I may just wait to see what happens.

In short, you MAY be notified early by a PD based on what's happened In the past, otherwise you may want to contact your deans office to see if they will notify you early.

This is true. Odds are good but I think we've all heard a few horror stories, which make me nervous about being the exception to the rule. Also, I am absolutely in love with my #1 for a variety of professional and personal reasons and would be thrilled to match there. So I'm very nervous about that.

At the end of the day, I just want to be an Ophthalmologist. :xf:

I feel like this too. Enamored with some of the programs and nervous about the outcome, but still just want to be an Ophthalmologist.

I got a call at 6.30 am (4.30 am at my future residency location) last year from the PD. I woke up in a blur, saw the area code on my iphone, did a quick happy dance and then tried to sound all cool and composed on the phone.. didn't work. Good luck everyone!

good luck guys!

Getting matched tomorrow also means you can post your stats for all us hopefuls for next year! :naughty:

Me too!!!! Congrats everyone!!! Been a great season and thanks everyone fire you're help!!

Didnot receive an email still. Does that mean I am not matched

Didnot receive an email still. Does that mean I am not matched

I've heard anecdotally from current residents that in the past, it was common to not receive the email on time. They were very concerned until finding out later that they had matched.

Bottom line, unless you get an email that says you did not match, you're still in the running.

Best of luck.