Countdown to Peds Match!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

olemissbabydoc

Baby Doctor
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't believe we are 5 days from ROL opening and 64 days from Match Day.

Anyone else :eek::eek::eek: with me?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm no...I still have 2 or 3 months to make decisions...besides, I know exactly what my list will look like so..no...big...deal.

I've got 1 interview left, and then I'm really going to figure out my list. I've already done a weighted list for the rest of my programs on excell and there's not much difference between this list and the list I had in my head from gut feeling alone. I think I'm still going to have some trouble before really finalizing my top 5 though... not looking forward to that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't believe we are 5 days from ROL opening and 64 days from Match Day.

Anyone else :eek::eek::eek: with me?

I think its crazy that this time is here! 1 day from being able to enter our lists.....wow! Im actually excited about it. I want to get it off my hands, lol.

I've got 1 interview left, and then I'm really going to figure out my list. I've already done a weighted list for the rest of my programs on excell and there's not much difference between this list and the list I had in my head from gut feeling alone. I think I'm still going to have some trouble before really finalizing my top 5 though... not looking forward to that.

What things did you use to weight your excel list? I'm not super techy but working on my list and it's tough!

What things did you use to weight your excel list? I'm not super techy but working on my list and it's tough!

Do you have an iphone? If so, I downloaded the ap "Match Dr" (I think it was 99 cents for the full version). It allows you to assign a numerical value for things like location, clinical training, etc, and you can add things that may be important to you like financial/benefits, research and so on. Then, it automatically scores the programs for you and keeps a rank list based on those scores. It also has separate intuition rank list so you can compare the 2. Honestly, I don't know if it's helped that much, but the type A part of me really likes that I tried to think about each program the same way and "scored" programs both on these concrete things and my gut feeling.

Anyways, someone told me about it, so I thought I'd pass it along. Hope it helps!

Let me blank out my excel list and then I can send it to you. Just PM me your e-mail.

Welp, certified with no intentions of changing my rankings.

55 days to go!

:D

Congrats!

I can't believe this process is almost done. I really wish we could know already!

Welp, certified with no intentions of changing my rankings.

55 days to go!

:D

Lucky, I still have one more interview (though I'm pretty sure I know where I'll rank it).

Certified! Now, to put all my interview materials away so hopefully everything is out of sight and out of mind.

My rank list is certified! I don't see it changing at all but I guess it could after my meeting with my mentor.

Members don't see this ad :)
So exciting.. And terrifying. Generally the excitement wins out, but every so often I think "holy mess, in 5 months I will have kids lives in my hands!" :/

6 weeks left!
ROL certified, just waiting now :)

Certified here as well.

5 weeks left 'till The Match! Good luck everyone :)

I've certified my list 3 times now. The top ones don't change, but the middle ranked programs are moving all over the place.

I'm ready for this all to be over!

Seriously! With the application and interviews getting pushed earlier and earlier, Match day should really be pushed up too.

I've certified my list 3 times now. The top ones don't change, but the middle ranked programs are moving all over the place.

I'm ready for this all to be over!

Delete any NRMP bookmarks you may have. I would just walk away from it at this point until March 15 :p

Seriously! With the application and interviews getting pushed earlier and earlier, Match day should really be pushed up too.

This. I realize they need a little time to put the lists together/check them multiple times, but a MONTH? Seems a bit excessive for a computer, even running on y2k speeds. :eyebrow:

My #1 did their rank list last week, so I guess it's really over. :scared: Grateful that peds surg is generally keeping me busy enough to worry too much. 32 days and a wakeup!

Does any one know the salary for Sinai at Baltimore?

Small insane fact that doesn't help you feel better: They hand check all the matches.

Can you imagine trying to hand check just one couple's match? I hope they are paid well.

Small insane fact that doesn't help you feel better: They hand check all the matches.

Can you imagine trying to hand check just one couple's match? I hope they are paid well.

How does this work?

How does this work?

They hand check a certain % of matches, not all of them.
But a checker picks a person and makes sure they have the highest match they can. S/he looks at their first program and checks to see where that program ranked them. If the program ranked them below their last match, then they go on to the next program on the applicant's list, and so on until the applicant is ranked high enough by a program to match. Then they just check that program against the program the applicant matched to according to the algorithm.

Obligatory 3 weeks, woohoo! Now that match lists are in I feel like the wait just became exponentially more excruciating.

Obligatory 3 weeks, woohoo! Now that match lists are in I feel like the wait just became exponentially more excruciating.

The wait between 3/11 and 3/15 will be the worst!

So far I've been pretty busy and easily distracted with my surgery rotation but it ends Thursday. So when I wake up Friday mornin and have nothing to do its gonna be much more excruciating!

So far I've been pretty busy and easily distracted with my surgery rotation but it ends Thursday. So when I wake up Friday mornin and have nothing to do its gonna be much more excruciating!

This is exactly why I am sort of glad to be starting a harder rotation tomorrow :)

Yeah, I've got three more full days on this one and will be sleeping and cleaning house this weekend. Takin my mom to an ophthalmologist/immunologist early next week, then meeting with my mortgage officer to start official paperwork. Planning on house hunting between "did I match" and "where did I match" (providing I get good news Monday) to keep my mind busy. If I end up in another location, all I will have accomplished was staying busy the week of match. If I end up here, I will be narrowing down my choices :)

I MATCHED!!!!! I am SO excited! Can't wait for Friday! Congratulations to all my fellow pediatricians to be :) :) :)

Loved all my ranked . Now to complete Med School and my MBA at same time and let the good times roll!!!

CONGRATS TO ALL!!!!!!

Matched- now to try to stay calm til Friday

MATCHED!

We're going to be pediatricians!

Congrats to all who found out they matched today! Best of luck to those SOAPing.

Hope everyone gets their #1 on Friday.

And yes, I matched!

Only 10 SOAP positions in Peds. Crazy!

10 spots- that's crazy! I wonder if any decent programs hade openings or if its all tiny community places. Does anyone know what the number has been in the past?

Only 10 SOAP positions in Peds. Crazy!

what i found more crazy was that there are 38 total derm spots in the entire country...wtf. thank goodness i hate rashes.

10 spots- that's crazy! I wonder if any decent programs hade openings or if its all tiny community places. Does anyone know what the number has been in the past?

2012 - 32 unfilled, 2475 total
2011 - 45 unfilled, 2482 total
2010 - 45 unfilled, 2428 total

Only 10 unfilled spots is kinda crazy...it definitely looks like peds is getting a bit more competitive overall. Congrats to all who matched, good luck on Friday!

what i found more crazy was that there are 38 total derm spots in the entire country...wtf. thank goodness i hate rashes.

Most of the derm spots are PGY-2 spots, but it's still not very many...something like 340.

Where did you get this statistic. Do you know where the 10 spots are?