Countdown til 8/23/08!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brandie28

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who else has started studying non-stop...night and day...5 hours of sleep at night...and feeling like you are never going to be able to remember everything!? :eek: Just looking for anyone else to vent with thats with me here... :)

Members don't see this ad.

You are not alone, I've been seriously studying for the August PCAT since mid-July, and at times I feel as if I don't retain anything. Also, it adds more stress when studying from the long and dreadful Kaplan book as well. Just take a deep breath already!!!!!:D

You are not alone, I've been seriously studying for the August PCAT since mid-July, and at times I feel as if I don't retain anything. Also, it adds more stress when studying from the long and dreadful Kaplan book as well. Just take a deep breath already!!!!!:D
Yea I feel like that too...this is my second year applying and I just want to get in (I know...along with everyone else lol)...I took the Dr. Collins PCAT prep course so I have been studying that mostly but I have the Kaplan book and I just started to look at it and I noticed theres not a section for Microbiology....what are you using to study got micro??

Yea, I've realized that Kaplan doesn't have a micro section, but I just used my notes I saved from Biology. My professor covered quite a bit of information concerning intro-level microbiology, but I don't quite know if it is still enough. Guess we'll see!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going into first-year University and I was wondering if it is advisable to take the PCAT so early. I want to get into Pharmacy school for the 2009-10 school year, so I'm probably going to take at least two of the three* exams: August, November, or January.

I have a university level calc under my belt, but other than that, everything is just high-school level. I have the Kaplan book which helps a lot, but apparently, it doesn't cover organic chem or too much calc (the latter is okay because I already completed the course).

*edit

Last edited:
I'm definitely overwhelmed, too. I'm taking the Oct PCAT and I started studying in May!! In my defense, though, I'm a new mom so I only get to study during nap time or after she goes to bed for the night. But, that still only leaves me with about 1-2 hrs of studying a day. Also, it's been 4-5 years since I have taken Calc, Gen Bio, Gen Chem and Orgo, and I've come to realize that I didn't retain much of that info!! I'm studying from Kaplan and it seems like I have to relearn everything! How discouraging. But, I'm just taking it one page at a time and hopefully it will all work out!!

I'm going into first-year University and I was wondering if it is advisable to take the PCAT so early. I want to get into Pharmacy school for the 2009-10 school year, so I'm probably going to take at least two of the three* exams: August, November, or January.

I have a university level calc under my belt, but other than that, everything is just high-school level. I have the Kaplan book which helps a lot, but apparently, it doesn't cover organic chem or too much calc (the latter is okay because I already completed the course).

*edit

Companies design test prep books to be review, not for instruction for those who have never taken the course. The books don't help as much to develop an understanding of the content needed to answer questions that aren't basic.

In general, most high school bio and chem courses aren't college grade. Some are (like in good prep schools and/or exceptional teachers) but the PCAT is ideal after taking college-grade prereqs.

Also, I need some clarifications. Are you going to be a college freshman this upcoming school year? Most pharmacy schools have prereqs that generally require at least two years of college coursework to complete. It would be best to take the PCAT when you have the main courses.

EVERYTHING from precalc, you should know backwards and forwards. Most of the questions in quantitative generally stems from precalc rather than, say, Calculus I. But that isn't to say you shouldn't know the calculus stuff like integrations, because they do give about 3-5 questions on that stuff.

I would probably advise you to study from your high school textbook and notes if that's still available to you.

This is y i luv sdn.:love:..i see a lot of ppl going thru the same mental freak out stage as i am!!! I started studying in june, and has been taking it slow, but nw since august is just around the corner...i feel like theres not enough time to review all i wanted. Studying day and night continously does not work for me, i study for an hour...then take a break...then more studying...its my last chance to take the pcat, inorder to apply this year...so a lot of pressure.:scared:..for those ppl who are already done with pcat forever...plz pray for all of us :luck:

Okay August PCATer's we only have 18 more days left! I feel like I still have so much to review and there is just not enough time. :( I mean last night I was not feeling good and so I couldn't study because it was making me feel worse and I am so nervous because I need EVERY awaking minute possible to study! And I went to all the book stores around and NO ONE sells the Examkrackers Organic Chemistry book! So I have just been looking at some review sites online...don't know how much thats going to help. :confused: But anyway enough of my complaining....How is everyone else doing??

Okay August PCATer's we only have 18 more days left! I feel like I still have so much to review and there is just not enough time. :( I mean last night I was not feeling good and so I couldn't study because it was making me feel worse and I am so nervous because I need EVERY awaking minute possible to study! And I went to all the book stores around and NO ONE sells the Examkrackers Organic Chemistry book! So I have just been looking at some review sites online...don't know how much thats going to help. :confused: But anyway enough of my complaining....How is everyone else doing??

buy it on ebay or half. mine came in 2 days.

May be you shouldn't of put this off like when its less than a month for the test?

I'm excited and nervous at the same time! I'm finishing up my summer classes tomorrow, and then I'll be studying full time until the 23rd.

I got my MCAT examkrackers on ebay also. It was cheap and got it in 3 days.

Members don't see this ad :)
lucky u , my class ends on the 13th and i hv to study for the finals,,, i ordered my exam krackers too but not gotten it yet tho

Retaking it in August - got an 80 the first go around. Doing a couple things:

Reviewed old precalc notes, know it all. :rolleyes:
Reviewed Kaplan math section, know it all. :mad:

Im leaving for Mexico this week. Im bringing my Examkrackers Organic Chem book for a light review session as well as my old OLD Algebra notes. The week before the exam Ill cram the probabilities section of Kaplan into my skull as well as review the guides for reading comp. :thumbup:

I probably wouldnt be retaking this if I had done two things: Brought a sweater and ate a decent sized breakfast! I had cereal and Im not usually hungry until lunchtime but it didnt work! Apparently furiously taking an exam burns major calories. :laugh:

Will it even help at all if I take August do badly and retake in October and do really well? Or is it just a waste of time and money to even retake in October? Anyone help? I've realized I'm not on track as well as I should be for August test and decided to register for October also, but I might cancel it if I feel confident with August test.

Nice to see I'm not the only one who loves the Olympics. And the opening ceremony was amazing, even though some of it was fake. But who cares?

haha brandie you crack me up.

I requested the entire week off from work the week before and stayed up till 5-7AM every night studying so much. I also spent tons of money on energy drinks, vitamins, etc.

Studying in the middle of the night is best for me because no one is around to distract me.

Just remember though the pcat is at 8:30 AM. I think I stayed up till 7AM on friday studying then woke later at 6 pm. I then went out to Border's to study until 11 and went out to a bar and shopped at a 24/7 grocery store to relax. I finally went to bed at 3AM and woke back up at 6 AM for more studying. I ended up getting an 83%, which made me happy but I am still thinking about doing a retake in October.

Good luck!!!!

haha brandie you crack me up.

I requested the entire week off from work the week before and stayed up till 5-7AM every night studying so much. I also spent tons of money on energy drinks, vitamins, etc.

Studying in the middle of the night is best for me because no one is around to distract me.

Just remember though the pcat is at 8:30 AM. I think I stayed up till 7AM on friday studying then woke later at 6 pm. I then went out to Border's to study until 11 and went out to a bar and shopped at a 24/7 grocery store to relax. I finally went to bed at 3AM and woke back up at 6 AM for more studying. I ended up getting an 83%, which made me happy but I am still thinking about doing a retake in October.

Good luck!!!!

Wow, you only studied for a week and got an 83%tile? That's impressive. What material did you use to study? Right now, I'm using the Kaplan 08-09 book, Cliff's practice tests and Wikipedia/youtube!

Last edited:
I'm also scheduled to take the PCAT in August. I'll be taking it in Amarillo, TX. The olympics has also been distracting me. Michael Phelps is just blowing everyone out of the water! I need to study!

:eek: I am totally nervous and scared for the exam! I can't believe it is coming up in a few days. I have been studying since the ending of June and I feel like I am not anywhere near prepared.

My sleeping schedule is so off. I study late into the mornings on daily basis and wake up in the afternoon. 4 more days to go. 3 study-days for me since I want to relax the day before the exam. :D

I hope I can adjust my sleeping patterns soon. I have to wake up early and drive over an hour to my test site. Maybe I should drive there the day before and find a motel.

how far is everyone driving?

I only have to drive 15 miles. Lucky me! I wasn't too nervous about taking the PCAT again but as it gets closer I am feeling less and less unprepared. I took it back in January and thought I did okay but went I got my scores they were horrible. Hopefully this time will be better. Only a few more days then we wait for 6 more weeks!

I hope I can adjust my sleeping patterns soon. I have to wake up early and drive over an hour to my test site. Maybe I should drive there the day before and find a motel.

I have to drive 3 hours!!! I was going to get a hotel room but I changed my mind...I am just going to go to bed early Friday night.

The closest location that I could take it is about 4 hours away, but thankfully my aunt lives in a neighboring town so I'm gonna head down her way on Friday and spend the night.

Although my some of my math is rusty and I only know only elementary organic, I feel somewhat confident on the other sections.

Everyone pray!!!!!!

I want something else to study...I have used Kaplan and the material I got from Dr. Collins class...but I don't know if I should get Barron's or buy ThePCAT thing online...any opinions on those?

You only have 4 days left, so I don't think it's the best thing for you to dabble into any more new material. Stick with what you have and be confident.

I have the Barron's book and did not find in helpful for Chemistry at all. If that is what you want to look over, go for something else. It doesn't review Chem., instead it supplies an outline of what to study.

So we only have 3 days left!!! And I bought ThePCAT and I am feel horrible now because some of the questions I have never seen before...as far as the material they are testing you on! I am really stressing out about this test...thanks for listening....again....lol....good luck everyone!

I guess im on the same boat with everyone else... I've been studying since June and its my first time taking it on saturday! Im so afraid if im going into enough detail or not! :scared: I have heard mixed review about if its broad or in depth, o well, good luck to everyone out there! I hope we all do well :oops:

For those who are freaking out, which I'm assuming is everyone in the posts above, the PCAT isn't as bad as you think. Just go in with confidence and you'll do better than if you go in freaking out.

I took the June PCAT for the first time and scored REALLY well. I got off school in mid-May and studied for about 3 weeks. I was even working the week before my exam up until the day before!

As far as I can remember, there was barely any microbiology on the exam. The one part that DID kill me was reading comprehension. I completely forgot it was a 50 minute section and not 30 minutes so I rushed through and did very poorly. D'oh!

I THOUGHT I did poorly on math because I didn't even finish all the questions, although I didn't leave any of them blank (just guess!). After the test, people were complaining that they didn't get to finish that section either, and I felt better. I skipped some of the calculus questions at first because I suddenly got confused between when to take derivatives and when to do integrals (ie. distance vs. speed vs. acceleration graphs) but I figured it out as I went on. This is the last section and you're probably dead tired but this is where you need to step it up for the last BOOST! Remember, the percentile you shall get is relative to everyone else, so if you skip a few questions, others will have done so too.

i am ready to rock the crap outta this test. THe only thing i dont really feel that strong in is like probability and also permutations. I know how to do them until there is a twist thrown into the question. It F's me pretty much every time.

im so burnt out from studying and just wannt get it over with...and i just got sick. such great timing.

I've been studying since mid June, taking Calculus again this summer (it had been since 1998 for me) really refreshed my mind on the math, feel comfortable there, but I'm just a nervous wreck. I guess I'm a lucky person, I'm taking the test at the same place I'm taking classes, so I have a 15 minute drive. I feel for all you guys with the drives of any sort. Good luck to everyone!!!!

im so burnt out from studying and just wannt get it over with...and i just got sick. such great timing.
I know how you feel, I am already sick of pharmacy school and haven't even got in yet! J/K But I am seriously so burnt out and I just started getting sick as well. It is going to be a horrible day on saturday for me.

I am with you guys! I feel like crap and I am trying to study but I am soooo tired of it and I don't even know what to look at anymore! Good luck to you all and take care of yourselves you don't need to be sick for Saturday...get some rest...especially Friday!

I reviewed a bit in Mexico - but not much. :laugh:

Doing last minute memorizing of organic chemistry and probabilities (these things make absolutely no sense to me).

Remember! Bring a jacket (Im bringing my wool shawl thingy) and eat a tasty big breakfast...or if youre like me and hate breakfast have leftovers from dinner!

I reviewed a bit in Mexico - but not much. :laugh:

Doing last minute memorizing of organic chemistry and probabilities (these things make absolutely no sense to me).

Remember! Bring a jacket (Im bringing my wool shawl thingy) and eat a tasty big breakfast...or if youre like me and hate breakfast have leftovers from dinner!

how can you hate breakfast? it's the best! i love breakfast all day places, mmmm.