"count, pour, lick and stick" - What does the "lick" part refer to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lexington2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I often hear to the term "count, pour, lick and stick" when referring to the old days of pharmacy. What exactly does the "lick" part refer to?

The whole idea of licking ANYTHING in a pharmacy seems odd to me.

Members don't see this ad.

if I had to guess, the label?

Reactions: 1 user
Back in the old days, self adhesive labels didn't exist. So, you would have to lick them to put them on or use a adhesive wetting device. I'm not exactly old but I do remember when stamps were not self adhesive.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I never would have thought of that, but now it seems sort of obvious. Thanks.

Lick the pill obviously.

Proceed to then sticking back into bottle.

Obviously it's for when you drop a pill on the floor. Gotta get the dirt off somehow.

Reactions: 1 user
I would have probably gone into a different profession. I hate when you have to lick envelopes to seal them, so there's no way I would be licking labels all day.

I still lick envelops! Are self adhesive envelops a thing now!? I get mine at the dollar tree so never thought twice about it.

I still lick envelops! Are self adhesive envelops a thing now!? I get mine at the dollar tree so never thought twice about it.
I love pharmacists that are actually cheaper than me

I am old enough to have licked a label or two. There were all kinds of "technological" gizmos to wet the label. Plus the clip on the typewriter platen to hold the label in place while you typed. The good old days when you could survive filling 100 scripts a day. We kept manual patient profiles, did delivery, had in store Charge accounts, a reserved Sunday paper list. Real personal service....

I remember having to lick stamps and envelopes. Yuck. Can you imagine doing that all day?!?!

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

You can still buy sponge things that will wet them without having to lick them.

You can still buy sponge things that will wet them without having to lick them.

You could then too, but usually the label looked like it came out of the dishwasher.