Does Seniority count for anything?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VA77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to get back closer to home and working at Walmart but the last 2 transfers that I have been put it got denied and they took a new grad and one from competitor. My marks have always been exceeds expectations and working hard to keep them that way but doesn’t seem that there is any seniority given to current employees and they just let the local PIC pick who they want. Any Walmart DMs or PICS on here that have any knowledge cause I'm about to jump to an independent and get some ownership. The pay is lower but at least I have some control.

Members don't see this ad.

dont know about walmart but from where I work, no. If they pick a new grad/or new employee is all about having a cheaper wage.

Reactions: 7 users
In my experience, the only thing seniority makes any difference in is vacation pick priority. Other than that, they don't give a crap how many years you've spent slaving away for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I worked retail, seniority usually meant you had a target on your back since they could hire a new grad for much less. Experience counts for nothing in pharmacy as our overlords see us as pretty much unskilled and overpaid.

Reactions: 1 users
I have been trying to get back closer to home and working at Walmart but the last 2 transfers that I have been put it got denied and they took a new grad and one from competitor. My marks have always been exceeds expectations and working hard to keep them that way but doesn’t seem that there is any seniority given to current employees and they just let the local PIC pick who they want. Any Walmart DMs or PICS on here that have any knowledge cause I'm about to jump to an independent and get some ownership. The pay is lower but at least I have some control.
Flogging pillz for Wally World or any big chain is simply to max out pay...If you want to have any job satisfaction go with the indy ASAP....Someone used to post a little reminder..."despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage"...that exactly sums up working at some rubbage house of a chain store..Why...WHY ...I ax you ...does anyone still fall for the pharmacy biz? Maybe the old man owns the place?

There was a Sam's Club RXM opening last year ("rumor" has it the RXM got the axe on opioid steeeeeewardship) and they moved a recent grad working at a SC (not even working 6 months) into that position.

It's all about getting someone paid $6-$10/hr less than the previous RXM

Excluding PIC moving to another store or new store opening, in the last 6 years only pharmacist transfers I've seen go through are to crappy stores and they are still consigned to the float pool (1 from NHM to SC, 1 from a different division, 1 inter-market)

At least you get more PTO but can you even use it?

Seniority only counts for "are you paid too much?"

Reactions: 4 users
In my area, DM picks staff, PIC has almost no say.
DM always like to get outside candidate generally to save payroll to pad bonus.

How are you interviewing?
I half-assed tried to change districts more than two years ago. The candidate that got the position is paid 13 dollars less than me and brags about it! LAWL

Reactions: 1 user
Give an example where an RXM has any say.

Any RXM can see open pharmacist reqs on Workday and hiring progress. Had one open for the last 2 weeks and DM has said nothing about it

You can't write up any pharmacist

Any RXM can see open pharmacist reqs on Workday and hiring progress. Had one open for the last 2 weeks and DM has said nothing about it

I got into WM from RXM connection. Had only one interview with them and DM wrote offer. Two DM later and it is different now.

California is the land of micromanagement and limp-wristed HR so things may be diff here

An aging pharmacist is as valuable as an aging NFL running back these days

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Yeah I see the hourly rates of new hires vs >15 yr vets and older and its crazy. $30 an hour is the extreme but usually around $15 an hour difference. The places are hiring $48 to $52 new grads. I'm just thinking of the purge they did this time 2 years ago and trying to take shelter. Basically they can get a new person and save 30k just in payroll a year.

I started with an indy but boss died and place went to hell in handbasket. Trying to find a similar thing without rug getting pulled from underneath me.

Yeah I see the hourly rates of new hires vs >15 yr vets and older and its crazy. $30 an hour is the extreme but usually around $15 an hour difference. The places are hiring $48 to $52 new grads. I'm just thinking of the purge they did this time 2 years ago and trying to take shelter. Basically they can get a new person and save 30k just in payroll a year.

I started with an indy but boss died and place went to hell in handbasket. Trying to find a similar thing without rug getting pulled from underneath me.
Yeah- first job out of school was for an indy. Nothing kills an indy pharmacy like the owner/boss dying. Greedy family comes out of the woodwork and sells out to CVS/Walgreens/Insert evil chain here______ who in turn closes the place to reduce competition.

There was a Sam's Club RXM opening last year ("rumor" has it the RXM got the axe on opioid steeeeeewardship) and they moved a recent grad working at a SC (not even working 6 months) into that position.

It's all about getting someone paid $6-$10/hr less than the previous RXM

Excluding PIC moving to another store or new store opening, in the last 6 years only pharmacist transfers I've seen go through are to crappy stores and they are still consigned to the float pool (1 from NHM to SC, 1 from a different division, 1 inter-market)

At least you get more PTO but can you even use it?

Seniority only counts for "are you paid too much?"
I’m a WM staff RPh and the very lax approach my RXM has to controls, she’ll seriously get fired for opioid stewardship.

Is that for real that you can’t write up any pharmacist at WM? It would explain a lot about my RxM’s behavior.

I know we're going off topic, but what does opioid stewardship entail at Walmart?

Transfers are a pain from a supervisor's standpoint. If they have a good pharmacist in their store then why would they want to move them and risk getting a bad one?

I was never able to transfer out of my ghetto store. My only option was to leave the company.

opioid stewardship entail at Walmart

writing essays to make it seem that you actually care about "protecting the customer, protecting your license, and protecting Walmart" (TM)

i.e., identify and document what you did to resolve red flags, how you determined there is a legitimate customer-provider relationship, how you determined if an Rx was for a legitimate medical purpose issued in the "usual course of professional practice" (often confused with scope of practice defined by licensure by many derps), did you even calculate the MME of dat codeine cough syrup, did you even offer Narcan where "required" by Walmart policy, did you even observe MME limits for "initial" rx for "acute conditions" required by Walmart policy, etc.

Transfers are a pain from a supervisor's standpoint. If they have a good pharmacist in their store then why would they want to move them and risk getting a bad one?

I was never able to transfer out of my ghetto store. My only option was to leave the company.

Ah, the joy of working overnights in a ghetto store. One of the hardest places to get vacation coverage and to transfer out.

I was offered to float at my chain only after I sent in my two week notice.